₃₀₆

₃₀₆
Daughter
Daughter
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

Still. Her small back rested against the cold, brick wall. Soft, black curls framed her pale, creamy face. With hands folded in her lap, the little girl sat. Like a French doll. A broken French doll... for a part of her was missing. That missing piece laid in an intricately handcrafted box directly reflecting the precious object within. A friendly warning. In case you think I am incapable of turning words into actions. To those whom the box had been addressed to, they have been made to acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. Their enemy was not the type to shy away from the thought of mutilating a child... if that was what it took to garner their undivided attention.

 

No one had ever dared to hurt her. Not like this. The left side of her head throbbed. What did it remind her of? The time she had jumped from the open window of her room, but worse. Much worse. The bandage beneath her black curls stiffened with dried blood. As much as she thought, she could not make sense of it all. Why must they hurt her so? What had she done to anger them? 

 

Why is she staring at us with her big, doll eyes? Make her stop, Kou. I'm tempted to scope them out.

 

Well... we did slice off her ear, love. I daresay she must be holding a grudge against us for doing her harm.

 

A grudge. Was that what it was?

 

When Junki had pulled out the knife, she had put up a struggle. Screamed and cried for her parents. They had given her a piece of chocolate, but it did no good in numbing the nerves as it should have. The shock overwhelmed pain... but only in the moment of incision. The pain after was unbearable. Kou had repeatedly apologized. I'm sorry, babydoll. I'm so very sorry. You may not understand, but we had to do it. For your own good, we had to. It sounded muffled. The blood had done a fine job of clogging and she had yet to accustom herself to listening with only one ear.

 

I'm sorry... I'm sorry, babydoll.

 

As much as she loved them or thought she had loved them, her Aunt Koucakes and Uncle Lee Junki, would she be able to forgive them? When a person apologizes, they should be forgiven... but... will she be able to do it?

 

No. Never. She had decided. There was a limit... like all things. Her father had told her so. Jaeling, sweetheart. There is a limit to what the physical body can endure. It is less than wise to jump out the window after Jiji when he is agitated.

 

She watched her captors as they argued. It was a distraction... from the pain.

 

We've done this more times than we can count. What is the problem?

 

Never on a child! She knows us... she trusted us. And... we did this to her. There had been definite lines we promised each other never to cross...

 

You knew from the very beginning that things might come to this... or worse.

 

Yes, but... when purity and shyness looks you in the eye... it's not the same.

 

Her purity is coldness. Her shyness is pride. Just like my brother. She has been unfortunate enough to take after him.

 

Get out. I don't want to see your face. I can't... I just can't.

 

You are as much responsible as I am, Kou. For 's sake, you think I want to chop up a kid?

 

Get out!

 

The door slammed shut. The lights went out. Pain returned. She wanted to cry, but no tears came to soothe the awful burning sensation. Her lips trembled. Her body shook. So much she was at the brink of shattering into a million pieces. If only her mother was here to make all the hurt go away as she had always done. Oh, baby. Did your appa scold you again? Come here, baby. Sit on my lap. You know... it's because he loves you. He loves you very, very much.

 

Mama...

 

Mama. It was to be her last word to the sour dark.

 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••