To Help or Not To Help

We'll find our way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reyna tucked her dark brown locks behind her ear. Once again she was tucked away in a corner on the tube well since it was Seoul the "Subway" would be more correct. Just moments ago she had booked a hotel in Yongsan, Seoul for 3 nights. That meant 3 days and 3 nights to sort herself out. "Yosh I can do it!" Reyna thought to herself as she waited the frosty white snow hammer down on the train windows.

The Incheon Airport railroad was a lot faster than Reyna expected and before she knew it she was already at Seoul Station. Quickly she bustled through the crowds onto the main corridor to change trains. The noticeboard informed her the next train to Yongsan was in 1 minute. Damn it! She had 1 minute to rush through the crowds, get on the other side of the station and gallop down the steep stairs all with her humongous luggage. It was either that or waiting another hour for the next one. 

Reyna made a run for it. She pushed her way past the corridor muttering a few "sorrys" and "excuse mes" on the way. Thank goodness she had long legs. At 5ft 8 she had been blessed with long legs and strong calfs perfect for this sort of situation. Just as she reached the bottom of the staircase the train started whistling alerting passengers the doors were about to close. With one lust jump with all her energy Reyna lept through the closest set of doors with her luggage in tow. Her dive was unfortunately far from graceful and she had landed on the subway floor. Passengers eyes bored into her and she laughed nervously. She quickly dusted herself and was about to slink into a corner but it was too packed to move anywhere. So she stayed put and became the foreigner talk of the day. Not a good start at all.

Without too much trouble she found her hotel. Her room was not too fancy but with a simple modern decor. The magnolia wallpaper and coffee brown furniture pleased her. The best part had to be the double bed topped with a memory foam mattress just calling her to sleep. It was still technically morning but with the time difference Reyna was knackered. Maybe just a 10 minute nap Reyna thought to herself as she drifted off to sleep.

Reyna woke to bold red numbers glaring at her. As her eyes adjusted she took in the time. 16:00. No that can't be right. Reyna picked up the alarm clock on the bedside table and checked for any broken parts. Great. She had lost half a day and her stomach was growling at her furiously. Time to go out and explore.

The icy winds danced around Reyna nipping at her already red nose and frozen ears. She huddled inside her coat as she hunted for food. The streets of Yongsan weren't too busy for a Friday afternoon. She eyed the roadsigns with writing in Korean and English as she wandered through the almost deserted street. Despite the lack of people the walk was nice. Seoul was definitely a modern city with rows and rows of restaurants and stores. Yongsan in particular had an abundance of tech stores making Reyna feel right at home. She had definitely chosen her hotel location well.

Reyna popped into a small family owned restaurant. It felt a little lonely to eat alone but all Reyna cared about was filling her empty stomach. She ordered a serving of kimchi jigae (Kimchi and tofu soup) and of course some rice. Now she was full she was ready for more food! Reyna felt a tad guilty but she had been dying to eat some pat bingsu (a shaved iced dessert) in Korea. After wandering some moore Reyna came across SolBing a famous chain for Korean bingsu.

Settled in a corner with her towering oreo bingsu she set to work. In between mouthfuls of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, oreos and creamy shaved ice she searched through job ads. Applying for jobs was boring and monotonous but a girl had to do what she had to do. Ideally she'd have a computer science related job but even in Yongsan those seemed to be hard to come by. She had no choice but to settle for anything and everything.

 

It was almost 9pm when her phone buzzed. At the airport she had rented out a Korean phone until something more permanent was sorted. Who could it be? It wasn't her family because after the angry email she got from her mother there way no way she was giving her phone number. She could just imagine the conversation, it'd be worse than getting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter