Alice In Wonderland

Elizabeth and Darcy

You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

 

She had sent him a text informing him that her cousin would be there to meet him. But twenty minutes and a cup of coffee later, he was still alone.

 

He had taken off his gloves and let the paper cup warmed his hands. If Eunji's cousin isn't here soon, he just might freeze to death.

 

An overexaggeration, but as Minhyuk mentioned—he had been there for twenty minutes!

 

Twenty-five minutes in, and he was considering calling a cab and getting to the house himself, when a young man in a bright red beanie and forest green scarf, appeared around the corner and made his way towards him.

 

He was panting and sweating, even in this cold weather, so Minhyuk knew that he had been running.

 

Might as well. He is late, he mused to himself.

 

Are you--” the man paused to catch his breath, “Are you um...Minhyuk-ssi?”

 

Minhyuk nodded once. “You're Eunji's cousin.”

 

You can call me Ilhoon,” he grinned, and offered his hand to shake. His left, as his right was holding onto a wristwatch.

 

Minhyuk exchanged the cup from his left to his right and took his hand, shaking it a bit awkwardly. Ilhoon noticed this and faltered.

 

Oh, sorry.” Hastily, he shoved the watch into his jeans pocket. “The thing was broken! Partly why I was late.”

 

Ilhoon chuckled nervously, and Minhyuk shook his head and offered a smile.

 

No, it's okay. Should we get going now?”

 

He was impatient. For one, his ears were going to freeze right off... and also, because he really misses his fiancee.

 

Ilhoon nodded eagerly. “Yeah, the bus stop is right in front. We should be able to catch the 2:15.”

 

Bus? It had been years since he had been on a bus. But Eunji always has a knack for getting him to try things out of his comfort zone. Even when she's not physically there with him.

 

The things I would do for you. He thought exasperatedly, but with a hint of fondness. He tossed his styrofoam coffee cup into a trash can and shoved his numbing hands into his coat pockets.

 

He nodded to Ilhoon.

 

Lead the way.”

 

 

Ooh, you made it!” Eunji greeted him in a flurry of motion, drawing him into a warm hug which he eagerly accepted.

 

An hour late, but yeah I made it,” he smirked into her hair.

 

Eunji pulled back from him, just enough that he could see her roll her eyes. “Ilhoon is always late. An hour is nothing.”

 

She linked her arm through his and steered him to the living room, where a fire was burning pleasantly and Christmas songs was playing softly in the background.

 

They were two people there, in the midst of an argument or a very heated discussion, but when they entered their voices trailed off into silence.

 

Hello,” he greeted. These must be The Cousins, that Eunji warned about.

 

'They seem a bit shy... but really, they're just not people-person.'

 

Hey,” one of them greeted back. He was stretched on an armchair, long legs propped up on the coffee table. His relaxed posture reminded Minhyuk of a rebel teenager, especially when he noticed the man was wearing a Guns N' Roses T-shirt. A rocker.

 

Minhyuk smirked. Their taste in music may not be completely similar, but at least they would have something to talk about. He has a respect for musicians in general.

 

'They don't look like it, but they're all older than me! Well except one; we're the same age.'

 

Nice to meet you,” the other one stood up and they shook hands. “I'm Daehyun.”

 

Then he turned to Eunji and said solemnly, “Hyung needs you in the kitchen.”

 

She sighed heavily. “Taekwoon-oppa was always bad at baking. Okay, I'm coming.” Before leaving she turned to him with a reassuring smile, “Why don't you get comfortable? Have a drink?”

 

And to The Cousins, she shot them a warning glare, “Play nice!”

 

We always do.” The Rocker said with a grin, “Fancy a cup of tea?”

 

Sure,” Minhyuk settled on the long red sofa, and a dainty teacup in a saucer was placed in his hands, courtesy of Daehyun.

 

Careful... it's hot.” He had a weird gleam in his eyes.

 

Minhyuk took a sip, and nearly choked at the burning liquid sliding down his throat.

 

This,” he coughed, trying to shake off the effects of the fire, “is not tea.”

 

Both cousins started cracking up.

 

You don't like whiskey?” The Rocker cocked his head to the side, tapping his fingers on his own teacup.

 

Next time, warn a guy.” He replied wryly. “And why teacups?”

 

I love my whiskey in fine china, right Daehyun-ah?” The Rocker held out his cup, “More tea please.”

 

Want some sugar with that?” Daehyun's lips twisted into a wicked grin, amused at the entire situation. To Minhyuk's disbelief, he actually plopped two sugar cubes into the The Rocker's cup.

 

Sweet.” The Rocker hummed, and threw back the entire drink, sugar cubes included. He was chewing them up with a content look on his face.

 

Minhyuk was suitably freaked out.

 

'Oh god they're crazy.'

 

 

He found Eunji in the kitchen with Ilhoon. They were cutting out cookies from rolled out dough. He wondered where that 'Taekwoon' fellow was at, but didn't ask.

 

We're making ginger snaps.” Eunji beamed at him, “What are you doing here, oppa?”

 

They scared you off, didn't they?” Ilhoon asked before he could answer. Minyuk nodded slowly, wondering if Eunji would be offended but she just laughed.

 

They're insane, right? I love them,” Eunji said simply, “You haven't met Jinyoung-oppa yet, count yourself lucky.”

 

Why? What's he like?” He pulled up a chair and sat, curious about Eunji's odd family.

 

He's obsessed with himself.” Ilhoon helpfully supplied.

 

He is not!” Eunji laughed, “You're overexaggerating.”

 

Am I?” Ilhoon challenged. Eunji shot him a look, and he grinned sheepishly.

 

Okay I am. I'm kidding. Hyung's actually really nice.” Ilhoon said honestly.

 

Minhyuk chuckled, “Where is he now?”

 

He won't be here until after dinner. His flight was delayed.” Eunji tilted her head, looking at something behind him. “Taekwoon-oppa, it's not done yet.”

 

Confused, Minhyuk turned around, and was startled to find a man looming behind him. He hadn't heard him walk in at all. It was almost like he appeared out of nowhere.

 

Taekwoon stood there, like a statue. Not moving or blinking. Eunji sighed.

 

Okay fine. Here,” she held out the wooden spoon used to stir the cookie batter.

 

And to Minhyuk's continued amazement, Taekwoon actually took it and... and it, like a child. Or a cat.

 

And as if things couldn't get any weirder, that was when Minhyuk swore he heard the man... purred.

 

What the effing--

 

Now shoo, oppa.” Eunji waved him away.

 

Satisfied with his prize, the man-cat retreated back silently into the living room, all the while on the spoon like it was ice-cream.

 

That was Taekwoon-oppa.” Eunji provided unhelpfully.

 

We call him Leo sometimes,” Ilhoon commented after a moment of silence.

 

I can see why.” Minhyuk muttered. Stranger and stranger, this family is.

 

 

Dinner's ready!” Eunji announced cheerfully. She had chased Minhyuk out of the kitchen so she could prepare last minute touches to their Christmas Eve dinner—she had wanted it to be a surprise.

 

In a last ditch effort to avoid another uncomfortable moment with The Cousins, Minhyuk had excused himself to do work stuff. Thankfully, no one had been offended. Running a multi-million dollar company tends to give someone more leniency when it comes to working during the holidays... although Eunji had shot him a dirty look, making it very clear that she disapproved.

 

He was just reaching for his chopsticks when Eunji placed a hand atop his. Minhyuk was startled out of his thoughts, shooting her a confused look.

 

Before we eat, there's this Christmas tradition that we do,” Eunji said apolegetically. “Joonyoung-oppa, can you do the honors?”

 

And then The Rocker stood up, and from under the table he took out a guitar. Minhyuk stared blankly. Do they always keep guitars under the dining table?

 

And then...oh god, they started singing. In unision.

 

And damnit, if they don't sound like a world class choir.

 

 

Dinner was enjoyed by all. After their impromptu caroling session, each of the guys (and Eunji) had worked up an appetite and had inhaled almost all of the food on the table—it was a good thing Eunji had the sense to save up some food for the last missing cousin; Jung Jinyoung was on a plane from Japan, due to arrive in an hour or two. Unfortunately, Minhyuk wouldn't be able to meet him.

 

Eunji's cousins were digging into dessert, but he had excused himself and asked to speak alone with his fiancee.

 

Uh oh. 'We need to talk', is never a good conversation starter.” Eunji smiled wryly. He laughed, and once again he wondered why he would even want to--

 

I need to leave.”

 

The way Eunji's smile fell, and when the light in her eyes dimmed, to know that he had caused that... Minhyuk had never hated himself so much then at that moment.

 

I'm sorry,” he said anxiously, willing her to understand. “Something came up, and I need to leave for Seoul right away.”

 

He gathered her in his arms, hoping the gesture would make her feel better.

 

It doesn't.

 

Eunji swallowed, trying to remain composed and not lash out. He was proud of her; she was so strong, his little wife-to-be.

 

Is that something... important?” Her voice was small, but no less steady.

 

I wouldn't leave if it wasn't.... a fire broke out in the fifth floor. No one was hurt, and the flames were contained to that level... but I need to go and assess the damages.”

 

Eunji gasped then, the hurt and confusion in her eyes quickly replaced with concern. It was no surprise, since she did used to work there. “How did that happen?”

 

I don't know, the security guard didn't catch anything... or anyone, suspicious. It could simply be an accident, but I still need investigate and make sure.” He kissed her forehead afterwards, in apology and in goodbye.

 

I truly am sorry to leave like this. And on Christmas Eve, no less. I swear I'll be back by breakfast tomorrow, though. Wouldn't want you to open your presents without me.”

 

Presents? I don't have any presents,” Eunji snorted, but her smile was back, shining brighter than all the Christmas lights.

 

Ilhoon always gives me a belated Christmas present, because he always puts off shopping at the last minute. And by then he's already forgotten about it. Joonyoung-oppa always gives me things that he likes—CDs of rock music, concert tickets, signed autographs... he knew I would give them back to him in the end because I don't care much for that kind of stuff. The smartass,” she mumbled.

 

And Daehyun... well Daehyunie always gets me a decent gift... those that you can buy in a gift shop, already pre-wrapped and everything. Snow globes, baubles, and the like. It's strange though, because he's always creative with my birthday gifts, but gets lazy when Christmas rolls around.”

 

Minhyuk listened attentively as she ranted. She was exasperated with her cousins, yes, but there was an underlying tone that suggests that she finds them all frustrating, but in an endearing sort of way.

 

And that cat person?” He asked, amused.

 

Cat per—oh! You mean Taekwoon-oppa,” she chuckled, “He sings to me. It's really sweet, but sort of an 'in the moment' type of gift. Can't really keep it on my shelf, can I?”

 

You still get presents from your parents—and brother. Your friends, too.” He reminded.

 

My parents give me money. My brother, the little cutie, he writes me letters. My friends are... well... they're on the same page as my cousins.”

 

Minhyuk barked out a laugh, “You keep interesting company, my dear.”

 

A company that includes you,” she smacked his arm playfully. Minhyuk caught her hand and squeezed it.

 

And that reminds me, I need to get going.”

 

Eunji sobbered up, and nodded reluctantly.

 

Okay,” she sighed, “At least you joined us for Christmas Eve dinner. How was it? How is Busan? And my cousins? Be honest.”

 

Busan is lovely, and rowdy at this time of year where Seoul is mostly deserted,” his lips quirked, “And your cousins are... they love you. They care a lot about you, I can see that.”

 

Awww,” she beamed, “I knew you would warm up to them.”

 

They're also completely wack, but so long as they're harmless,” Minhyuk mused, and Eunji couldn't deny that.

 

I'll be back soon, I promise. Can't forget about my presents for you, right?” He smiled when she held up her right pinky. Pinky-swear.

 

Right,” she grinned, “Your presents are always the best. Remember those shoes you got me?”

 

Which one? The—ahhh, the boots?” he recalled, “That was the first Christmas present I ever gave you, wasn't it?”

 

Eunji wrapped her arms around his midsection, pressing her cheek into the warmth of his chest in a rare moment of childish affection.

 

Yup, that was the first. And my favorite. I saw a piece of the real you that night... more than the Ice Prince. More than the proud, unattainable CEO of a multi-million dollar company. You turned out to be a real-life Mr. Darcy.”

 

Were you blinded by prejudice before, then? My Elizabeth,” he teased.

 

A little bit,” she admitted, “I'm glad I was wrong.”

 

Minhyuk entangled their fingers together, thumb brushing over the platinum ring, the one that he had proposed to her with in the City of Love. “Me too.”

 

He kissed her deeply then. One to last them both for the next twelve hours. It was time for him to leave the rabbit hole.

 

But he would be back. Always.

 

A/N: Finally finally finally this is complete. It figures that the inspiration would only strike me when I'm sleep deprived. This chapter is a follow-up to chapter 1 and 2, but it doesn't necessarily have to be related.

 

Thank you to all who had read, commented, voted, and upvoted. You guys made me so happy with your responses! I hope you will stick with me for my future projects. :)

 

White Rabbit – BTOB's Jung Ilhoon

March Hare – B.A.P's Jung Daehyun

Mad Hatter – Jung Joonyoung

Cheshire Cat – VIXX's Jung Taekwoon (Leo)

B1A4's Jung Jinyoung also has shades of the Red Queen.