The Little Mermaid

Elizabeth and Darcy

The distance is nothing when one has a motive.” 

Her mother wrote her a checklist on what to pack, which Eunji wasn't going to follow at all.

 

Still, that didn't stop her mom from going around the neighbourhood telling everyone that her baby girl is going to Seoul all by herself! As if she wasn't just going to the capital for a few days to visit her old high school friend, Naeun.

 

As if she was going to move away to Seoul for good, when in reality she hadn't even gotten the job interview that she had applied for after getting her degree in business from Busan National University.

 

Give this to Sunhwa, okay? I'll leave this out here so you don't forget,” her mother placed a jar of fermented kimchi on her computer desk.

 

Okay, fine. Maybe her mother doesn't know that she was going to see Naeun. She just thought that she would be staying over at cousin Sunhwa's place, which is partly true. Only her and her friends knew otherwise.

 

Put your purse and phone in your pockets. And always, always have your whistle with you, arasseo?”

 

Seungyoon rolled his eyes. “Hyung, lay off of her, she's not going to get the minute she steps foot in the city.”

 

Siwan shot him an irritated look, “How do you know? Have you been to those subways? Do you know what type of scum lurks in there?”

 

Rats?” Dongjun offered with a sheepish smile.

 

Siwan crossed his arms and glared while Eunji chuckled, albeit nervously. “Don't say that! Now I'll only be taking the buses and cabs.”

 

Seungyoon smirked, patting her on the head in a way that both pleased her and annoyed her. She had known him for nearly her whole life, having lived in the same neighbourhood. She met Siwan at the University, and their little gang of four was complete when Siwan's best friend Dongjun joined them.

 

Eunji had never felt uncomfortable being in a group of friends with only guys; in fact, she preferred it. She always enjoyed their company more than the gaggle of girls in school, and the only downside is that their alpha male pride makes them a tad bit over-protective of her at times. Like now, for example.

 

Why do you want to go see Naeun again?” Seungyoon stretched his arms, kicking his legs up on the table casually.

 

She's getting married. I won't be there for the wedding but I at least want to wish her congratulations in person. I haven't seen her since she moved back to Seoul after graduation.”

 

Siwan tsked, looking all the bit a disapproving, overly concern older brother. “And you don't care to tell your parents that you're looking to rent Naeun's apartment after she moves out to her fiance's place?”

 

Why get their hopes up? I didn't get the job yet,” Eunji bit her lip, and Siwan's expression softened. He knew how much his dongsaeng wanted to be independent and start living on her own.

 

Look, Sunhwa-eonnie says she's still looking for an assistant for her boutique. I can work there at the time being while I look for other jobs. I feel like if I don't move out now, I never would.” Eunji confessed, looking at each one of their faces to measure their reactions.

 

Seungyoon looked supportive, as she knew he would. His ambitions were as huge as hers, and he would be moving to Seoul too in a couple of months. Dongjun looked hesitant, but understanding enough. He nudged Siwan, “You know you can't stop her when she puts her mind to something.”

 

Siwan grunted, trying to remain firm. Dongjun was right, of course. Eunji has always been determined, and more stubborn than he was. After a moment he sighed in defeat, acknowledging her wishes with a smile.

 

Just be careful. And for god's sake, wear that whistle please.” 

 

 

Where are you now, eonnie?”

 

At Sunhwa-eonnie's place. Where are you? Are you at home?”

 

Sunhwa had picked her up at the train station and dropped her at her house before quickly leaving for work. Eunji didn't mind being left alone, this gave her a chance to visit Naeun.

 

No, I'm at the office. I'm sorry, eonnie. I told you I would be home but my boss called last minute.”

 

Oh, that explains why it's so noisy at the background. Did something happened?”

 

It's nothing important, don't worry. I'll be home in an hour or so. I can come pick you up later?”

 

You don't have to. The office is pretty far from Sunhwa-eonnie's house right? How about we just meet at a cafe somewhere?”

 

Okay, that sounds good! I know a place.” 

 

 

In retrospect, Eunji had a map on her phone so while she wasn't confident to know her way around Seoul...she didn't think that she would get lost this quick.

 

She had taken a bus, and she had even double checked that it was the right bus, but apparently... she had accidentally got off at the wrong place or something, because yes, now she is completely and utterly lost.

 

Of course this would happen to me,” Eunji mumbled under her breath. And to make things worse, it had started to rain, so there was a crowd moving along at the sheltered sidewalk. Eunji felt like she was walking with a school of sardine fish.

 

This is Seoul life, she supposed, and winced when someone shoved her in their hurry and another accidentally stepped on her foot. Eunji also nearly got poked in the eye by someone's umbrella.

 

She squeezed to the side and out of the moving crowd to stand in front of a coffee shop. Eunji was debating whether to call Naeun and admit that she was lost...but it was so embarrassing; she was really reluctant to ask for a dongsaeng's help.

 

Eunji was staring at her phone, conflicted. And every time she started to feel conflicted, she would do what she had always done—she started to pace.

 

She was looking down and fidgeting with her phone, as the reality of being lost in a huge city such as this started to get to her—not to mention, ugh, it was raining and she has no umbrella!

 

What do I do, what do I do,” she muttered to herself, wracking her brain to find a solution. She could just go back home, and perhaps she could lie to Naeun and say that she hadn't left the house yet because it had started to rain. Hmmm...it sounds tempting, certainly.

 

What do I do...what do I--” Eunji gasped in surprise, nearly dropping her phone when she turned and bumped face first into someone.

 

She stumbled a bit, blinking rapidly in confusion. Luckily she hadn't tripped and fell, but to her horror, she noticed that the person she had bumped into was holding a cup of coffee. Hot coffee.

 

And it had spilled all over the front of his shirt.

 

You can just imagine how Eunji felt then.

 

Waahh! I'm so sorry!”

 

The man hissed, looking down at the stain on his coat. It had been a thick coat, so the coffee didn't touched skin enough to burn him, fortunately.

 

...but his coat...his coffee--

 

Watch where you're going,” he instinctively snapped. He wasn't one to yell or be pissed off at someone due to an accident, but...

 

He looked up at the face of the stuttering woman that had spilled his coffee and ruined his favorite jacket...

 

...and instantly, mortifyingly--

 

He felt his heart skipped a beat.

 

The hell...Minhyuk, get a hold of yourself. This woman just spilled a hot beverage on you.

 

I'm sorry,” Eunji said weakly, fumbling into her pockets and retrieving a pack of tissue paper. The man shook his head, and accepted it without a word.

 

It's...it's fine,” he kept his eyes low, on his coat (and not on her, ahem) as tried to wipe the stain off. It wouldn't come out easily, of course. It was coffee...and he had been really looking forward to drinking it.

 

He stared wistfully at his nearly empty paper cup. Eunji noticed his gaze.

 

I'm really sorry about that...I was...erm...not paying attention,” she explained uncomfortably. “I can buy you another cup,” she offered eagerly, but then her face faltered at his unreadable expression.

 

I-I mean, only if you want...I just feel really bad. The coffee, and your coat...I can't buy you another coat obviously, but ...I can pay for your dry-cleaning! And the coffee. Either one is fine or both if you prefer, ah, no, not prefer, actually I insist...” Eunji blabbered on, wanting to fill the awkward silence.

 

The man held up a hand, stopping her mid-sentence.

 

It's okay, you don't need to,” he returned the tissue packet to her, even as she protested.

 

I'm late for something. I have to go,” he said curtly and walked off before Eunji could say anything more.

 

Well that was a disaster. She watched his tall figure walk away until he disappeared into the crowd. She sighed heavily, leaning against the window of the coffee shop.

 

This day can't get any worse...

 

 

Of course she was wrong. Of course it could get worse. Or course the world is against her.

 

She had called Naeun in the end, canceling the meeting by giving a pathetic excuse that even she herself couldn't believe. Thankfully, her friend was never one to push or pry, and accepted her reasons without question.

 

Eunji apologized profusely and hung up. She considered her options; a cab home was the best choice, but to find one in this weather would be a challenge.

 

Pulling up her hoodie, she shoved her hands into her pockets and tried to huddle within herself as she walked out into the rain. In just a few minutes, she was completely soaked to the bone. Eunji shivered, now more eager to get home than ever.

 

Everyone seemed in a rush to get home as well, so traffic was busy. Eunji walked the zebra crossing cautiously, looking left and right despite the pedestrian traffic light glowing green.

 

It was a of luck, that she spotted him.

 

It's the guy, Eunji realized. He was standing at the sidewalk looking down at his phone, sort of mirroring what she had been doing earlier, she noted with a smirk.

 

The amusement didn't last long, when by chance again she looked out at the road and spotted the motorcycle before he did.

 

Eunji's eyes widened in alarm, watching the odd way the motorcycle was going, and realized that it was going off the road. It had slipped on the wet road, and the motorcyclist couldn't get it to break in time.

 

And the man didn't noticed yet, and he was right in the path of collision--

 

The motorcyclist didn't try to warn him-- probably too panicking about his own situation, and Eunji acted before she gave it any thought.

 

She ran. And before he could register what was happening, she had a firm grasped on his coat and yanked.

 

It sent them both toppling to the ground.

 

With the way she was falling backwards, Eunji knew that her skull was bound to kiss the cement. Only, at the last minute, she saw his hand shot out to cushion her head.

 

He grunted when his hand was crushed between her head and the solid ground. Eunji looked dumbfounded. She was supposed to save him, but now he had saved her. How annoying.

 

Are you okay?” He asked breathily, eyes scanning everywhere for injuries.

 

I should be asking you that!” Her voice was a pitch higher than usual. Odd.

 

He leaned back, and when he stood he pulled her up with him. Eunji stumbled around, trying to find her footing. She was still shaken at the close call.

 

The man looked paler than usual too. Or at least, paler than the last time she had seen him. It's not like Eunji knows what his 'usual' face color is.

 

The motorcycle that had veered into the sidewalk had toppled over to the side; she noticed that the driver was out of it but otherwise unharmed.

 

Thank you. You really saved me back there,” Eunji turned when she heard his voice.

 

The man smiled a genuine smile, one that reached his eyes. She blushed and waved him off.

 

I wasn't gonna stand there and watch it happen. Consider this payment for the coffee?” She grinned sheepishly, making the man laugh pleasantly.

 

A nice laugh, Eunji noted absently. He spoke again and this time he got her full attention.

 

Actually now I think I owe you coffee. Perhaps we can schedule a time?” His lips quirked into a smile, outwardly looking relaxed and calm but if Eunji had looked deeper, she would've seen the nervousness in his eyes.

 

But she was too stunned to notice. Was she...being asked out on a date? She wasn't exactly lacking in experience in these things, but it has been a long time since anyone had asked her out.

 

Um,” She started lamely, “I...I'm not actually from here. I'm only staying for a couple days so I'm leaving pretty soon.”

 

For a second there Eunji hated herself for saying that because her words made the smile fall from his face. But she didn't correct herself because it was the truth. She was not from here; this isn't her world.

 

Yet.

 

But he doesn't need to know that. She has too much on her plate anyways to even think about dating.

 

Oh.” They both fell into silence, standing in the light rain as people walked to and fro around them.

 

Then tonight? If you're free? It may be too late for coffee but I can take you sightseeing.”

 

The words were blurted out so suddenly, that Eunji wasn't prepared and she doesn't know what to say.

 

Is she free tonight? Yes.

 

Is she interested in this guy and would she like to spend more time getting to know him? Hell yes.

 

And it would just be one night. Nothing would happen or progress in one night.

 

...okay.” Her lips and eyes curved up prettily. “Where are we going?”

 

He chuckled in response, taking out his phone and tapping on it for a moment before handing it to her.

 

You'll see. Put in your number, and I'll call you later?”

 

Mmm,” Eunji filled in her contact information quickly, and handed her own phone to him.

 

Okay,” he pocketed his phone and ran a hand through his damp hair. “We better get out from this rain. When you get home make sure to change into something dry and warm. Don't catch a cold.”

 

He was sincerely concerned, of a total stranger, and that scored some major points in her book.

 

You too.” She waved as he walked off, and she went the opposite direction.

 

Her phone buzzed with a text message when she was in the cab heading home.

 

Eunji is a pretty name. :)

-Minhyuk

 

She laughed silently. Minhyuk, huh? A pretty name as well, she smirked and snapped her phone shut. 

 

 

At seven, he rang Sunhwa's doorbell and she rushed to answer before her cousin could. She had told her about Minhyuk, but stressed that nothing is happening between them.

 

Yet.

 

The treacherous mind in her voice was ignored, and Eunji focused on the road ahead. He had drove of course, and he was taking her to the heart of a city at a quaint but lovely restaurant. She can't help feeling that this was more like a date than a tour around the city.

 

But she wasn't complaining, not really.

 

Is this your first time in Seoul?”

 

No, but this is my first time without my parents.” She said cheerfully, and he glanced at her again. He had been doing that for a couple times now but Eunji was being nice by not bringing it up.

 

It wasn't like she was complaining anyways. Not really.

 

What are you doing here, if you don't mind me asking?”

 

My parents are under the false assumption that I'm just here to visit a cousin.”

 

He raised an eyebrow, though he was still looking straight ahead. “Oh? And the real assumption?”

 

I'm here to visit my cousin and my friend...and I'm looking to rent an apartment here.”

 

She watched his face carefully for any reactions, but he didn't betray any.

 

They talk about nonsensical things for the next few minutes, and once they reached the restaurant they venture into personal interests and fun facts.

 

They had a nice time. Eunji didn't really have much of an opinion on it—it was just dinner. She offered to pay for her own meal as is customary on a non-date, but as customary of a man, he refused and she didn't argue much about it.

 

After all, he works in Seoul and she doesn't even have a job.

 

But later he ushered her into the car again, and her tour of the city began.

 

Minhyuk seemed to have everything planned out; he drove her to all the popular tourists attraction from A to Z. She took so many photos enough to fill an album, and they ended up strolling through the streets of Itaewon. The nightlife is as busy as ever, and when they nearly got separated she grasped his wrist with both hands and stuck close to him.

 

But he took her hand in hers and intertwined their fingers together, and it felt so natural and not weird that Eunji didn't minded at all. This was nice too. Hand-holding. 

 

 

This is no coffee, but I think it's better.”

 

A bubble tea shop. Eunji laughed out loud, and got out of the car with a bounce in her step. It was already past midnight, so this was their final destination.

 

Yeah it is better. I'm not much of a coffee person anyways.”

 

And then she realized something when they were standing near the counter, waiting for their drinks to be served.

 

Wait, why is the shop still open this late?”

 

Minhyuk avoided her eyes, “I've made some arrangements.”

 

She raised a brow, “You know the shop owner?”

 

He chuckled, “No. But don't worry about it, okay?”

 

Once they had their drinks they went back to the car, but both of them were sitting outside on the hood of the car, just enjoying their bubble tea and each other's company.

 

Thank you for this.”

 

The tea?”

 

Eunji stuck her tongue out at him.

 

Yes, but also for dinner, and driving me around everywhere. I'm starting to think that you actually work as a tour guide for your day job.”

 

I wish,” he smirked, but then his face got serious. “When are you leaving?”

 

She chewed on her bottom lip thoughtfully, “Thursday? Less of a crowd if I go back on Fridays and weekends.”

 

Hn,” he turned away from her, looking down and sipping on his tea absently. “I have a proposition.”

 

Eunji tilted her head curiously; his tone had changed, so unlike the gentle and soft tone he had been using with her...

 

Come work in my company. It's not much--just a desk job but it's a start. You told me your field of study is marketing?”

 

Eunji choked on a pearl. “W-what?”

 

Work hours are nine to five. The pay's a little higher than minimum wage, but I'm sure you'll work your way up fast.”

 

She spluttered, trying to form words that made sense, “I don't...you have a company?”

 

Minhyuk fought the urge to do something rash—like kiss her, or something, because she looked utterly adorable when she looked so bewildered and dumbfounded like that. She'd taste sweet and tangy, with a little hint of salt and spice; or perhaps she would just taste fruity, like the Passionfruit tea on her lips.

 

Yes,” he smiled, “I want to help you, Eunji.”

 

Why?”

 

I don't want you to leave.”

 

He said so simply and honestly that it struck a cord in her heart. Something was triggered—her eyes were opened and suddenly she was seeing the man in front of her very differently.

 

Why...” she breathed out, almost a question but not quite.

 

Why? He doesn't quite know himself, but he thinks he's liked her from the moment she spilled his Cappuccino, and then he fell even harder when she saved his life. Looking down at her flushed face and tangled wet hair around her like a halo—

 

And he doesn't even know her that well yet, but there's...something about her. And he doesn't know why but he's dying to try. He wants to kiss her. He wants to kiss this girl.

 

And so he does. 

A/N: Slightly late, sorry guys I've been busy...it's almost Chinese New Year! :D Gonna post a new cover with this chappie but I've stalled this enough. The cover will be done in a few days. Hopefully.

I was actually going to stop until the text message part, but that was too cruel since the last chapter ended similarly xD (PS: Real life!Eunji uses this pretty nifty phone that is both a touchscreen and a flip phone! So story!Eunji does as well. Always one of a kind, that eonnie.)

Only two choices for the poll this time because for the moment I'm running out of ideas. Le gasp.

...

Bubble tea!! <3