Red Riding Hood

Elizabeth and Darcy

But people themselves alter so much, that there is something new to be observed in them for ever.” 

Sorry...sorry, excuse me—coming through,” she mumbled, keeping her head low respectfully as she passed through the seniors loitering around the hallway.

 

The stack of exercise books she was carrying wasn't particularly heavy, but it was bothersome. Once again, their teacher had waited until the last minute to collect all of their homework from the week before, so the books in her arms were piled so high it was hard balancing them. She regretted not dividing it into halves but she wasn't particularly keen on making two rounds back and forth from the class and teacher's office.

 

Namjoo!”

 

The shout of her name in a familiar voice made her pause. But she didn't turn around. She heard the heavy sound of footsteps, and Eunji jogged into view.

 

Hey, eonnie...sorry, I can't talk right now,” she lifted the books a little higher to make her point. She could barely see Eunji's face from the books blocking her view, but she knew the senior was frowning.

 

Let me help you with that. I'm on my way to the teacher's office too.”

 

Eunji was always so studious. As student council president, she was the definition of a model student. She was always staying after class because her schedule was jam-packed; it was either co-curriculars, some student council meeting, or just clean up duty. She was always here. And she was always helpful.

 

Thanks, that would be nice.”

 

Eunji eased half of the books from the pile carefully, and Namjoo felt relieved as a bit of the weight was lifted.

 

She knew Eunji from her neighbour, Bomi. They were of the same age and same class. At first Namjoo was a bit wary of befriending the president, but to her surprise she found that Eunji was nothing like she had thought she'd be. For one, she was incredibly cool and laid-back. She wasn't a stickler for the rules, but she was fair and reasonable and did her duty with enthusiasm and determination. It was no wonder that she had been elected as president from her sophomore year until senior year—Eunji was that popular.

 

They made small talk as they walked the short distance to the office. The teacher wasn't around and after placing the books on the desk, Namjoo thanked her and they parted ways. Her job done, she was now impatient to go home. Briefly, she wondered if Eunji would be doing the same... but she heard from Bomi that sometimes Eunji doesn't go home until very late. Namjoo was curious about what she could be doing at school, and decided that next time she bumped into Eunji again she would ask.

 

 

Oh, hi. I didn't realized anyone was still here.”

 

Chorong started in surprise. She smiled when she recognized the face. Granted, she was not close with Jung Eunji--they were only politely friendly with each other. The age difference might have had something to do with it; Chorong might be a fairly young teacher, but there was still an invisible barrier between her and the students.

 

Ah—yes, I'm just... waiting for someone.”

 

Chorong nodded, not wanting to seem nosy by asking more questions. She had ended the meeting of the drama club an hour ago, and only now she realized that she hadn't seen Eunji packing up and leaving the room.

 

I forgot something,” Chorong said sheepishly, moving over to the teacher's desk and grabbing her water bottle. She usually doesn't drink when she's teaching, but she was recovering from a cold the past week and had bought a bottle to drama club rehearsal. She had forgotten it and left it there because she wasn't used to bringing a water bottle around with her.

 

Eunji smiled. “Yeah, I was going to take it to your desk later.”

 

She's a good kid, Chorong thought. She hadn't been teaching in the school for very long, but she was around enough to hear her colleagues continuously praise this 'Jung Eunji' person. A hardworking student. A rolemodel. She would be valedictorian when she graduates, I'm sure of it.

 

And the praises was well-deserved. Chorong could see what a genuinely good student, no, a good person she was.

 

Thank you, but you didn't have to,” Chorong said sincerely, “You take care now, Eunji-ssi.”

 

Eunji bowed and Chorong left the room. She hadn't walked very far before she heard the girl started humming to herself.

 

Oh. She still didn't know what Eunji was still doing in school so late. Who could she be waiting for anyways?

 

 

Oh my god, you're still here?” Bomi exclaimed loudly, pushing her sweat covered hair out of her face and glaring Eunji down.

 

So are you,” Eunji retorted, swinging her legs absently as she flipped through another page and started on the next question.

 

Bomi rolled her eyes. “Please tell me you're not staying after school just to do homework.”

 

Eunji didn't bother answering, chewing on the cap of her pen as she eyed the physics question intently.

 

Okay, come on, you're going home.” Bomi stepped forward as if she wanted to haul Eunji up to her feet and bodily drag her out the room.

 

Ugh, no. You smell. Why didn't you shower?” Eunji scrunched her nose, finally looking up at her.

 

Bomi shrugged. The track team was brutally abused by their coach today since a competition was coming up. She was too tired after practice to shower. She figured she would just shower at home.

 

You know I hate the showers here,” Bomi whined, “It's cold water! What happened to your promise of installing heaters in the showers if you won the last president election?”

 

I never promised that.” Eunji deadpanned.

 

Bomi grinned, “Well you should.”

 

If you would kindly donate the cash to the school, I would be happy too. I'm waiting for someone, Bom. You go first.”

 

Bomi's eyes lit up in interest. “Waiting for someone? Who?”

 

Eunji shook her head. “A friend. Jeez. Now get out, you're stinking up the room.”

 

She made a face and turned back to her homework. Bomi stuck her tongue out childishly.

 

Fine, whatever. Stay here, but be careful of the 'wolf'.” Her eyes twinkled mischievously, but Eunji rolled hers.

 

That's a stupid story started by a couple of idiots to scare the freshmen.”

 

It's true!” Bomi insisted, but she was lying of course. They both knew it. The 'wolf' was this supposed creature that roamed the school halls after the sun goes down. It was the silliest thing that she had ever heard, but she still liked to tease Eunji about it, since the girl always stays after school until it was really late.

 

And I'm the tooth fairy,” Eunji smirked, standing up and shooing Bomi out the door. “Now go. Before the wolf gets to you too.”

 

 

Naeun doesn't like swimming, but she was good at it so her mother had pressured her into joining the swim team. Every Thursday was swim practice, and she had just finished showering and was now heading home. It was nearly five o'clock, and her stomach was grumbling after the exercise.

 

She heard voices when she passed by classroom 11-B. Naeun stopped in surprise. She didn't think that there would be anyone still lingering in school, besides the swim team. But then she remembered that Thursdays was also when the drama club would meet. Her friend was in the drama club, but the meeting should've ended hours ago.

 

Out of curiosity, she peeked into the room.

 

She saw the back of the head of a female student—a split second passed and Naeun realized that it was the student council president. They were in the same math class together, sitting two seats in front of her. That was how she managed to identify her so quickly.

 

She was just about to walk in and greet her, when she heard another voice. Male, and unfamiliar. Naeun remained behind the door, eyes wide as she glimpsed at the other person in the room.

 

It was...

 

Well, she doesn't exactly know. She could only see his side profile, but the sight of him was just as unfamiliar to her as his voice.

 

Bomi was talking about the wolf again.” She heard Eunji's voice, slightly muffled by the door. But there was no mistake that there was a teasing quality in her voice.

 

Oh really?” The man replied, voice just as light and teasing. Naeun peeked into the door again, seeing Eunji perched on a desk, while the man sat in the chair looking up at her. If she squint, she could swear that their hands were touching.

 

Yeah, you have quite the reputation.”

 

I don't know why they would call me 'wolf'.”

 

Oh really?” Eunji mocked his previous words, “You didn't know? You didn't know how you let that dog into the school? Those students said they were leaving the library and they heard growling. It was past seven o'clock that day. The sun had gone down, and there was no else around. I knew it was you.”

 

Guilty.” The man shrugged. “That dog was just wandering near the gates outside the school. I was lonely that day... you didn't came.”

 

I was busy.” Eunji sounded defensive.

 

I know. I just missed you.”

 

She heard Eunji sigh. “I can't stay all the time. People are starting to suspect.”

 

A pause. “But it doesn't matter. Nothing else should matter anymore because I'm graduating soon.”

 

A longer silence this time. Naeun was certain that something weird was going on, when she saw the man took Eunji's hand to his lips, kissing the knuckles softly.

 

You can visit,” he said, voice more quiet than before. Eunji turned her head and Naeun saw her smile. But it was an odd smile. Sad, and bittersweet.

 

It won't be the same. You can't leave the school... and I can't stay here forever.” The last few words were spoken so softly that Naeun had to strain her ears.

 

The man stood up then, and she was able to properly see his appearance. Tall, dark, and handsome was the easiest way to describe him.

 

You remember how we first met?”

 

Eunji chuckled, smile widening and now reaching her eyes. “It was raining. The power was out. I was alone, in the dark, and you popped out and nearly scared me to death.”

 

And then you started whacking me with your umbrella,” the man said solemnly. Eunji laughed then, and he soon joined her. Naeun felt herself unconsciously smile. And then Eunji's next words made the smile slip right off her face.

 

I didn't even know ghosts can get hurt! I thought the umbrella would've run right through you or something.”

 

The man scoffed, “Now that's a stereotype. I am very solid, thank you very much.”

 

I know. And I'm glad you are,” Eunji hopped off the table and went to stand before him. She stood on her tippy-toes to wrap her arms around his neck. His hands instinctively went to rest on her waist.

 

Naeun didn't register all this in her mind. She was still hung up on that one word.

 

Ghost?!

 

The wolf... the creature that haunts the school,” she whispered under her breath. Her heart was pounding in sudden fear, but her feet was rooted to the ground. Unwillingly, she stayed, and she continued to watch them.

 

I remember everything from that day. You in your red raincoat, swinging that umbrella around as it was a sword. I had seen you around before, but I didn't know why I approached you that day.”

 

I'm glad you did,” Eunji slightly repeated her words. “I wish I could stay here forever, Minhyuk. With you.”

 

Me too,” the man, the ghost, Minhyuk, leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead. And then he moved further down, peppering kisses all over her face, and Naeun couldn't watch anymore. She was a horrible person, invading on their privacy. Intruding on this precious and tender moment.

 

She backed away from the door, shaking her head and making her damp hair fly about her face.

 

She would leave, without them knowing. And she wasn't going to tell anyone what she had just seen. She was going to keep Eunji's secret, because she was her friend and Naeun doesn't want to make an already sad love story end even sadder.

 

A/N: This was so, so different that any of the previous chapters that I considered removing it and turning it into a oneshot with another pairing. But this was the original idea I had for Red Riding Hood, and I had no other ideas so I stuck with it.

I've been taken over with femslash after the latest episode of The 100. (Do any of you watch the show??) I haven't been this obsessed since Faberry. xDD So here's a load of Namji, Eunrong, Eunmi, and 2Eun. Mwuahaha.

Don't worry, Alice In Wonderland will be very Minhyuk-focused. ;)