Cinderella

Elizabeth and Darcy

She hardly knew how to suppose that she could be an object of admiration to so great a man.”

 

 

This is slave labor, I cannot allow this to continue!

 

...and yet, here I am anyways.

 

Eunji sniffed and checked her phone for the time. Almost nine o' clock. Oh no, at this rate, she's going to miss the last train and she would have to call a cab to get home.

 

Cabs are expensive! There goes those shoes I was saving up to buy.

 

Muttering and cursing under her breath, she stood up from her desk and stretched. If she was going to be here for a while, she might as well get comfortable. Humming to herself, Eunji went to get herself a cup of coffee from the expresso machine.

 

The elevator ding when she passed by it, and Bomi walked out.

 

“Eunji-yah!” she called out, surprised to see her friend still in the office. “Eunji, are you working late?”

 

Eunji nodded, smiling tiredly as Bomi offered her a sympathetic look.

 

“It's the year-end employee evaluation. I just need to file in the forms and write an overall report for the general job performance of each department.”

 

Bomi gasped in outrage, “But that's the supervisor's job! It's got nothing to do with you.”

 

Eunji shrugged, she knew it wasn't fair but in the end she was the one that had agreed to do the job.

 

“Chorong-ssi asked for a favor, I couldn't say no...”

 

Bomi rolled her eyes, “Well of course you can! I would! That wicked woman is out to get you; I don't know why you let her push you around like that. You're far better at your job than she is, but then she's the one that's getting credit for all the work that you did!”

 

She sounded so indignant on her behalf, Eunji was sincerely touched. And then Bomi perked up as she thought of something.

 

“Ah, but you won't have to worry about her anymore next year,” Bomi's eyes twinkled as she looked at her excitedly.

 

“Rumor has it that you're one of the lucky few that's getting a year-end promotion! So soon Chorong won't be able to boss you around anymore!”
 

Eunji laughed, dismissing the thought of a promotion before she could even get her hopes up.

 

“Don't be silly! There are lots of people who deserves a promotion far more than me. It's not gonna happen, Bomi. But thank you for trying to cheer me up anyway.”

 

Bomi pouted, “It's not completely impossible, you know. You need to muster up that optimism that you're famous for—it's nearly Christmas, a miracle could be just around the corner!”

 

Eunji chuckled, amused at Bomi's Christmas spirit. She doesn't need a miracle right now, what she need was a cup of good, strong coffee to get her through her work.

 

 

It was fifteen minutes past eleven, and Eunji could really use a miracle right then.

 

“Ah, please...I want to go home!” she stomped her foot hard, both in frustration and also to shake off the icy flakes of snow on her coat.

 

It was midnight, she had just finished her work, but right now there was another obstacle.

 

There was practically a blizzard outside. There are no cabs around.

 

“Ah, what do I do...” Eunji moaned, leaning against a streetlight as she debated her next course of action. She had called the cab service company awhile ago, but they had only told her what she had already know. The roads around her work building was closed off due to heavy snow pile up. She was officially stuck in the office until they had the snow removed, which won't be until the very next morning.

 

Shivering now from the cold, Eunji wrapped her scarf tighter around her as she reluctantly walked back inside the building. The nighttime security guard gave her a knowing look.

 

“It's okay, you're not the only one stuck here. This has happened before almost every year. You should get some rest, you'll know when the roads are cleared. I'll announce it on the PSA system to anyone still lurking here.”

 

“...I see. Thank you.” She nodded at the guard and walked to the elevators. She was going to Bomi's office at the twenty-second floor, since earlier she had texted her friend to ask if she could crash there since she would have to spend the night here. Her own office was more like a cubicle, only slightly bigger and it had a door, at least. But Bomi's office has a couch and a heater. It was a no contest.

 

She retrieved the key to Bomi's office behind a nearby picture frame, just as Bomi had said it would be. Once in, she immediately turned the heater on, but forgo turning the lights on. The hallway was still lit up, and it provided enough light for her.

 

Eunji waited until the room was slightly warmer before removing her coat and gloves.

 

But I could still use a blanket. She looked around the office. There were only throw pillows on the couch, and no blanket.

 

Maybe there's a supply closet around here somewhere.

 

Eunji decided that the supply closet must be at the end of the hall, so she headed straight, all the while looking around curiously. The twenty-second floor was where all the big bosses' offices are. Bomi as the Chief marketing officer, deserved her spot here.

 

Technically Eunji wasn't allowed to be here, but it was after work hours and nobody was around anyways.

 

When she reached the end of the hall, she didn't find any supply closet, but a glass door. Without a second thought, she pushed the door open and entered, all the while marveling at the spacious, tastefully decorated office.

 

A secretary office, she realized when she saw that there was another door, a double door made of wood, with a beautiful modern design to it.

 

...and there was light shining from underneath the crack of the door.

 

Eunji stared in horror. Someone else is here!

 

And as if the timing couldn't get any worse, she heard footsteps from the other side. Panicking now, she frantically looked around the secretary office. There was no way she could leave and not be seen. The doors are made of glass, and the nearby offices are locked. Bomi's office is too far away.

 

She was doomed.

 

Until she spotted another door, possibly the restroom, or even the supply closet that she had been looking for. She just hopped it was unlocked and it was big enough for her to hide in.

 

The carpeted floor muffled her hurried footsteps, but she was in too much of a hurry that the carpet got folded up when she ran and she tripped. Eunji managed not to yelp at the last minute, her hands going out instinctively to break the fall. Luckily she didn't fall on her face, but she had accidentally twisted her ankle, and one of her heel had broken off from her suede boots.

 

It was too dark to find the heel properly, and there was no time. She got up with a wince, her ankle was a little sore—she just hoped it wouldn't swell later on. Half limping, half walking to the door, Eunji could almost cry in relief when she tried the knob and found it unlocked.

 

She shut the door quietly just as the double doors from the other side of the room opened.

 

In the dark, small room, Eunji felt like she was hiding from someone who was trying to kill her or something. Luckily she wasn't claustrophobic, or afraid of the dark.

 

As her eyes adjusted to the blackness, she noticed that it was a supply closet, but a quick scan revealed that it was just office supplies, and no blanket.

 

These bosses really are all work and no comfort, Eunji mused silently.

 

She was shaken out of her thoughts, when she heard the door knob turn.

 

Oh my god.

 

Her eyes widened.

 

Please no.

 

She begged silently to whatever deity that was listening.

 

I need a miracle right now. Please don't let me get caught.

 

There was no room to hide in that tiny closet. She was entirely exposed.

 

Please, please, please don't let me get caught...

 

Her prayers were not answered.

 

The door opened wide, and Eunji found herself face to face with the Chief executive officer of the company.

 

The freakin' CEO.

 

That's it. She was so freakin' dead.

 

She swallowed hard. In her entire time working with the company, she had only seen the CEO a couple times, and the only words she had said to him were 'Good morning' and--

 

“Hello, sir.”

 

“....”

 

She laughed nervously at his silence.

 

The CEO was a tall, handsome man. Those type where you can find in television dramas and movies. He had sharp, piercing eyes, smooth skin, a straight nose; he was ridiculously attractive, but Eunji was always more intimidated of him than anything.

 

And right then at that very moment, she was all but shaking from the fear of the repercussions. Clad in an immaculate suit, with the blazer ed and the first shirt button undone, he managed to look professional yet not too uptight and pretentious. That was even more terrifying because she would never know what to expect from him.

 

“You...” he narrowed his very lovely eyes at her. Eunji wanted so badly to avert her gaze, but she forced herself to remain brave.

 

“Jung Eunji,” he said suddenly, surprising her. What? Why? Who?

 

Oh, that's her name.

 

“Jung Eunji-ssi, from Public Affairs, yes?”

 

She was stunned. The CEO knew who she was. She doesn't know if she should be flattered or increasingly afraid.

 

The CEO knows who I am! I am so fired.

 

“Y-yes,” she mentally cursed herself for stuttering, before clearing and answering again with a stronger tone. “Yes, sir.”

 

He hummed, still eyeing her from head to toe. Eunji shifted uncomfortably. Although she had just been freezing cold and searching for a blanket just moments earlier, now she was sweating against her will.

 

Isn't he going to ask her--

 

“Tell me, what are you doing in my supply closet?” he checked his watch, “At midnight nonetheless?”

 

He sounded more amused than angry, and Eunji took that as a good sign. She quickly fumbled for an explanation, one that wouldn't make her sound terribly stupid and incompetent.

 

“I was working late, and I couldn't go home because of the snow storm. Bomi—I mean, the CMO, offered me her office for the night since she has a couch and a heater...I stumbled here by accident, I swear. I was just looking for some blankets...” Eunji trailed off, watching his face warily to see his reaction.

 

The CEO revealed nothing; he possessed quite an excellent poker face.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence, as they stood there and stared at each other. It was finally registering in Eunji's head that she was standing in a supply closet, in the dark, at midnight, having the longest conversation that she ever had with the CEO.

 

“You dropped this,” he held out her missing heel.

 

Oh yes, and she was also wearing one shoe with a broken heel.

 

She gingerly step forth to take the heel from his hand, but as she put pressure on her ankle, she felt a stab of pain shoot through her entire left leg.

 

Eunji stumbled, and in the pain she had grabbed whatever that was in front of her to steady herself.

 

And that whatever just happens to be the CEO, or more precise, she had grabbed his tie. And she was pulling him down with her.

 

The CEO was already reaching out to steady her when he noticed her flailing, but when she accidentally tugged on his tie, he lost his balance.

 

His hand shot out to grab onto the door frame, while his other arm went to wrap around Eunji, pulling her closer to his chest to prevent her from falling.

 

It was a standstill.

 

“Are you alright?” he murmured into her ear, noticing that she was trembling.

 

“I-I..

 

I want to die.

 

I'm so sorry! I just...my ankle...” she was so humiliated that she could scream. How inappropriate!

 

I'm sorry, mother. She thought guiltily. I'm an idiot.

 

She angrily scolded herself, and she ignored that little part of her brain that was saying that she was enjoying the situation.

 

After all, she was comfortably pressed up against her handsome boss, his arm wrapped snugly around her...and most importantly, he was so, so warm...

 

Gah! Stop it! She shut her eyes tightly, wanting to bury into the ground and just hide in there forever.

 

“Can you walk?” he pulled back from her slightly, and now they were seeing eye-to-eye again.

 

But his arm was still supporting her. Eunji felt her face burn in shame; he was obviously discomforted with the sudden physical contact.

 

Eunji carefully put pressure on her leg again, at first there was nothing but then she felt another jolt of pain, and she couldn't help but wince.

 

She quickly masked it with a chuckle.

 

“Yes, it's not too bad. I'm really sorry about this. I'll--”

 

“Are you sure?” he interrupted her. Eunji's mouth snapped shut, and she looked up at him in shock.

 

“What?”

 

“Are you sure you're able to walk?” he pinned her with a firm stare. Eunji nodded, completely flustered at the attention.

 

“Ah, yes...it's okay, I can manage--”

 

“You're lying. You say you're staying at Bomi's office?”

 

Eunji's brows furrowed. “Well, yes but—”

 

She gasped as he crouched down slightly, his arm that wasn't around her waist going underneath her legs, easily lifting her up and carrying her out of the cramped supply room.

 

What is going on I just don't know anymore--

 

“Sir! Please! I can manage on my own!”

 

“Quiet. Don't disobey me.”

 

Eunji gaped at his audacity. It wasn't enough that she had completely made a fool of herself just now, but now she was being treated like a naughty child.

 

Who the hell does he...

 

Oh yeah. He's the CEO.

 

Eunji sulked silently to herself, even though her heart was racing a mile a minute and her face was burning so much, she was sure that the boss would notice even in the dimly lit hallway.

 

They reached Bomi's office within seconds, and he gently deposited her on the couch. Eunji was both equal parts relief and oddly disappointed.

 

But the CEO did not leave.

 

“Let me see your ankle.”

 

“Eh?” she looked at him dumbly.

 

He sighed again, and this time his aloof exterior broke and she could see a little bit of annoyance seeping through.

 

“Let me see your ankle,” he repeated himself slowly. Eunji couldn't even find the voice to deny him as her hands automatically began removing her boot from her feet.

 

He knelt down before her without a word, carefully taking her feet in his hands, checking for bruises and swelling at the ankle.

 

Eunji was too busy checking his expression. Bomi had mentioned a couple times how the CEO was very strict—a perfectionist, a workaholic, and despite that he was always nice and polite, he was very distant and reserved.

 

But who knew that he could be also be so...caring.

 

She watched as he inspected the angry red bruise on her ankle, and frowned before standing up and leaving the room wordlessly. Eunji was bewildered.

 

But she didn't have to wonder long, because he came back again with a bottle of cold water in his hands.

 

“We don't have ice, but this will help ease the swelling,” Eunji accepted the bottle with a thanks, shivering a little when she gently pressed the bottle against her ankle.

 

She was startled when she felt something drape across her back. Turning her head, she realized it was a blazer.

 

His blazer.

 

Why?! Why would you burden me with this? Is this my punishment?

 

The CEO was looking at her oddly, probably confused at the look of complete despair on her face.

 

Eunji forced out a smile, “Thank you, sir.”

 

However, she looked less grateful and more like he had handed her a ticking bomb.

 

He cleared his throat. This strange woman; he doesn't meet people like her everyday.

 

“Well, I'm sorry I don't have a pair of shoes for you either, but you would want to keep that ankle elevated and avoid walking around too much.”

 

How motherly of you, CEO-nim. Eunji thought sarcastically. She was still bothered about the blazer.

 

“It's alright. It's not like you're my fairy godmother,” she laughed at her own lame joke.

 

Her laughter trailed off into silence. Awkward-ness, again.

 

“Okay then, if there's nothing else...goodnight, Eunji-ssi,” he straightened his tie, gave her one last look, and promptly left.

 

Eunji let out a deep breath, one that she had been holding since--she checked her phone, it was ten minutes past twelve—oh, so about ten minutes ago.

 

I am so tired. It didn't take long for her eyes to start drooping, curled up in Bomi's leather couch with one shoe off and one shoe on, and wrapped around that blazer...there was a scent of pine trees and fresh snow, of sweet chocolate and spicy cinnamon, the smell of Christmas...and something else, something that was uniquely him. A masculine, intoxicating scent...

 

Eunji sighed, burrowing her nose deeper, surrounding her senses with that comforting scent and happily drifting off to sleep.

 

 

The next morning when she woke up, it was like she had died and gone to heaven.

 

Sure, her ankle was still sore when she moved it around, but her entire body felt rested and sated. Her mind was crystal clear, and her mood was never better. She has got to ask Bomi where she brought her couch from--it was more comfortable than her bed.

 

She stretched her arms and smiled, for no particular reason in that she was feeling like it would be a good day today...despite yesterday night. She blushed at the recent memory.

 

Checking her phone, she noticed she got a message from Bomi asking about her night. She quickly typed a response to reassure her. It was nearly noon, she had slept quite long, but luckily today wasn't a work day.

Or things certainly would've been embarrassing for her. Since she was wearing yesterday's wrinkled clothes, her hair was a mess, and she hadn't brushed her teeth yet. Not to mention, she has no shoes to wear...

 

Eunji swung her legs off the couch, getting into a sitting position. Just as she was about to stand up, she noticed a box lying beside her feet.

 

Oh? This wasn't here before...

 

The box was simple enough, all white with no names or anything. Was this for Bomi? It was delivered to her office...but who put it next to the couch while she was sleeping?

 

She bit her lip, hesitated for a second before opening it. There was a note.

 

To Eunji-ssi,

 

An early Christmas gift. Happy holidays, and take care.

 

-Minhyuk

 

Eunji was speechless. The note fell from her listless hand and fluttered to the ground.

 

Inside the box, was a pair of black leather, ankle-length, laced platform boots. It was stylish, it was simple enough that it was appropriate for work and for winter, and there was no chance of the heel breaking this time.

 

And it must be so expensive!

 

She was in a state of disbelief. The CEO...Minyuk-ssi, he brought this for her? Why? When?

 

How did he even know her shoe size?!

 

Eunji was so shocked, and so in awe of her gift that she didn't noticed that her boot, the one with the broken heel, the one that had caused so much trouble for her--

 

She didn't realized it had gone missing since last night.

 

 

 

A/N: Listening to Christmas songs while writing this is so nice~