Before the Wedding - Hyukjae's Story

After the Wedding

 

[Hyukjae]

 

He sighed as soon as he got out from the car. The rain did not show any sign to stop and Hyukjae had to squeeze himself back into the car to retrieve the umbrella at the back seat. He groaned as he straightened his back, cursing the old bed he kept for years. He opened the umbrella, watching as droplets of water deflected when they hit it. Trying to balance the umbrella at the crook of his neck while holding the briefcase and pulling the jacket close to him, Hyukjae walked to the door.   

 “Morning!” The beautiful receptionist greeted him and Hyukjae waved back, distancing his pants from the wet umbrella.

“It’s cold, isn’t?” Another receptionist started a conversation and Hyukjae just nodded. He had tons of paperwork to do on his table and any idle chat would just be a hindrance, for now.

“Yeah, let’s catch up later, okay?” He winked to both of them and briskly moved towards the lift, greeting others who were also waiting.

Hyukjae got into his work as soon as he arrived. He planned to take an early leave this afternoon; therefore his works must be finished before that. It was not Hyukjae’s way to leave his responsibilities unattended. He was ready to grab his briefcase to leave when someone knocked his door. Hyukjae beckoned the person in, sighing in his mind.

The door opened, revealing one of his beautiful co-workers. The formal dark blue business suit could not help from hiding her beauty and her nicely-styled hair framed her small face. Hyukjae smiled a little upon her sight and he welcomed her to sit on the chair in front of him.

“Are you leaving?” Jessica Jung, the Korean American took her seat.

“Yeah, I’ve something.” Hyukjae put back the briefcase and ed his jacket. He knew having conversation with Jessica never ended in a short time.

“Urgent?”

“Hmm… Maybe not that urgent, but I really need to leave early.” Hyukjae smiled, apologetically.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry. But I have to talk to you regarding the new project.”

“Oh, have they finalized it? I was away last week.”

“Yup, you and I are in this together. We’ve to go somewhere far this time.” She sighed. “I really hate this, you know that.”

“Come on, bear with me.” Hyukjae chuckled. “Does my presence hurt you so much, Sica?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. They did date two years ago; however, that was something in the past. They promised whatever happened to their relationship, professionalism would come first. Tapping her fingers on the smooth table, Jessica stared at the man in front of him.

“I wonder what they find so great in a guy like you.” She muttered. “You’re just a jerk.”

“Hey!” Hyukjae huffed and crossed his arms. “If you want to get into fight, please get out. I don’t have time for this.”

Hyukjae pretended to get upset but his antics went wasted on Jessica. The beautiful lady just tossed her hair and looked around her, purposely ignoring Hyukjae.

“They’re definitely going to gang up on me or something. You’re their ideal man.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thanks for the info. Now, get up and go.”

“Wow, so cold!”

“Well, I want to leave right now. Email me everything for the project.” He smiled and ushered Jessica to follow him.

“Email me!” Hyukjae called out after Jessica. The lady just put up her hand as the response.  

He passed several cubicles where tables were located and several female workers who occupied the tables invited him for lunch. Hyukjae groaned, showing how badly he felt for refusing the girls’ invitation and promised to go next time.

“Ah, this lady killer spreads his poison again.” A young man in dark grey suit approached him.

“Yeah, nice to see you too, Yunho.” Hyukjae extended his hand for a handshake. Yunho gladly accepted it.

“Are you leaving already?”

“Yeah. I’ve made a promise with someone.”

“Her?” Yunho grinned while Hyukjae just laughed.

“Yeah, her.” Hyukjae checked his watch. He was already half an hour late. Damn you, Jessica. The traffic was extremely bad during lunch; he might need another half an hour to reach his destination. “I’ve got to go now. Send my regards to your cousin.”

It was still raining outside and Hyukjae could not help from grimacing. He did not like rainy weather; Hyukjae dislike cold very much. He was thinking of grabbing hot espresso on his way, but he was already quite late. Hyukjae could not imagine what scary expression he would see when he arrived.

However, the expected expression did not come. Instead, he was greeted with a wide smile and a very bright, happy face.

“So, what’s the occasion?” He asked, putting his briefcase on one of the chairs.

“I’m going to eat cakes, cakes!” She clapped her hands. Hyukjae stared at her with a blank expression.

“For lunch?”

“Yeah, of course!”

“Do you realize that you’re supposed to eat lunch with me?”

“Do we?”

“Why the hell would I ditch my work to come here if not for the promise?” He was practically glaring at her. But, being bright and cheerful, the lady just brushed his words away.

“Don’t worry. I’m going to pop back before you even notice.” She took off her apron and carefully undid her braids.

“What am I going to do with lunch?”

“I’ll pack you some.” She put on her high heels.

“What about your shop? Are you going to close it?” Hyukjae looked at the flowers and plants around them.

“Of course not! You’re here, don’t you?”

“Huh?”

 

 

To be Continued

next part: Donghae's Story

Before the Wedding