Before the Wedding - Donghae's story

After the Wedding

[Donghae]

 

It was only 3.00 pm but the sky outside was already dark. He sometimes stole glances at the customers inside his café. He wondered whether they were warm enough in this cold weather. Occasionally checking the heater, he went back and forth from the kitchen to the tables. He greeted some regular customers and smiled when they greeted him back.

“It’s cold, right?” An elderly woman suddenly stopped him with her remark.

Donghae looked out the window again. Drops of rain began to fall.

“Yes, it is. Are you cold? I can raise the temperature if you want.”

“Oh, don’t bother. I’m fine. But seeing the weather outside, I don’t feel like leaving.” She smiled and sipped her coffee.

“Then, just stay here until you feel warm enough. It’s okay.” Donghae bowed his head before taking his leave, going back to the kitchen.

“Refill the coffee pot, please.” He ordered one of the part-timers. “And please ask the customers whether they want any drink refill.”

The high-school worker nodded his head and moved past Donghae to the customers. Donghae turned to look at his worker, satisfied.

“Jonghyun is such a nice boy, right?” The café manager chirped when she saw Donghae was watching his worker worked.

“Yes, he is. I’m thinking about raising his wage. What do you think, Amber?”

The manager with dark red hair tilted her head, thinking. She then shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m fine with it, but don’t complain to me when you haven’t made enough sales.” She retorted and went to the door, intending to greet new customers.

“Feisty as always.” Donghae laughed and continued to the ovens. He grabbed an empty tray before putting the new batches of breads onto it.

It was the same, usual day, but Donghae loved watching people came inside his shop. Yes, it did help with the sales; however, Donghae believed that every one of them carried different stories with them. Their actions expressed their feelings, their moods. Even the cakes they and drink they ordered sometimes could tell their days, well sometimes.

“This is so delicious!”

A loud voice in the middle of the shop caused several heads to turn. However, the owner of the voice cladded in emerald green dress and leggings continued to savour the taste of the cake. Donghae chuckled; he had made someone happy with his hand.

“Donghae-shi,” Jonghyun called. “The customer wants to meet you.”

“Huh?” Donghae flustered, but he still made his way to the customer who asked for him.

It was the girl with the green dress; her face lighted up when she finally saw him.

“Wow, a delicious cake made by a handsome patisserie!” She exclaimed. Donghae caught himself blushing and gratefully thanking the lady for her compliment.

“My friend recommends this shop. He said they offer delicious cakes and breads. I love sweet. I’m glad I’m here.”

“Thank you. Please come often, then.”

“I will!” She laughed, waving the small cupcake in her hand. “In fact, I’m going to take some of these cute cakes home.”

The sky seemed to clear up a bit after a few hours. Customers came and went; Donghae glad that the weather did not stop the customers from going into his café. It was already past 6.00 p.m. but the person he was waiting for hadn’t arrived yet. Donghae checked the traffic outside; it was heavy. Everyone wanted to leave and retire for the day. Donghae wasn’t an exception, but he wouldn’t be done before midnight, although he did want to leave early today.

“He’s late, isn’t he?” Amber suddenly spoke, standing beside Donghae near the window.

“Maybe he has lots of work today.” Donghae turned; his back facing the window and began to collect cups and plates from a table.

“Yeah, maybe.” Amber bit her lips and looked at her best friend for more than ten years. “Donghae, look…”

“Amber, please. I know.” With that, Amber shut and helped Donghae to collect other cups as well. The topic remained untouched.

Donghae was on his way to bake some new cakes for the night when the bell on the door rang, revealing a man with a big grin on his face.

“I’m hungry.” He announced before taking big strides to one of the table near the window. He took off his jacket and hung it on another chair. His eyes quickly scanned the menu.

“No new menu?”

“I did add some for the cakes and breads, but other than that, nope.” Donghae walked to the man. “And this is a self-service café, not a restaurant.”

The man rolled his eyes, but continued to order his food. Donghae took the order nevertheless despite what he said just now.

“You’re late.” Donghae came back when he had given the order to another part-timer.

“I was caught up with something.”

“Not work?” Donghae raised his left eyebrow. The man just laughed and threw a glance outside.

“It’s quite cold, isn’t it?” He mumbled.

“You’re the 47th person saying that to me.” Donghae took a seat in front of him after looking around the café. It wasn’t so busy since the dinner rush had passed.

“Well, it’s cold.” He sipped his hot cocoa. “But then, the seasons pass so fast. By the time summer comes, I’ll definitely miss this cold season.”

“Yeah, me too. Oh, by the way, my mother sent her regards to you. She also packed some kimchi for you.”

“You went back? You didn’t even tell me.”

“It was for a short while. I didn’t even stay the night.” Donghae fiddled with his fingers. “My brother is getting married.”

“Wow, finally.” When he noticed Donghae’s crestfallen face, he put down his cup. “You still have me, don’t worry.”

“Don’t try to turn me into someone with brother-complex.” Donghae glared.

“Well, I’ll get married after you do. Wait, maybe not. You’re single,right?”

“And don’t try to tell me that I have a pathetic love life.”

 

to be continued

next part: Hyukjae's story

Before the wedding