Before the Wedding - Donghae's Story

After the Wedding

 

[Donghae]

 

It had been raining for three days already and Donghae began to feel irritated for no reason. Whenever Donghae became grumpy, Hedgehog Cafe workers decided to work extra careful and stayed away as far as they could from Donghae if possible. The manager, Amber once made an announcement, of course without the presence of Donghae, that the cafe owner had a 'housewife sickness' whenever the rainy season came.

"My clothes have all become damp and musty. I couldn't hang them out and dry them properly, you know."

"It is a bother to keep the plants inside the house, you know. They need sunlight too, you know."

"You know, I love to see children playing in the park whenever I looked down from my balcony. Since it's raining, they don't come out to play, you know."

At 5.00 p.m. on the third day, Jonghyun finally snapped. He put the teapot down so hard that a loud 'thud' sound could be heard and other part-timers started to pray that the precious teapot did not crack. Amber raised her eyebrows and glanced at Donghae who was doing his routine of checking up on his customers.

"He's not looking here. You're fine." Amber said, flatly.

"It's time we stop this nonsense. I think Donghae-shi has become senile."

"He's only 29." Krystal tried to point out the truth.

"Duh. He complained about his plants, but I know that he has only two pots of plants."

"Now, three." Amber chimed in.

"Well, it doesn't matter, does it? The point is we can't let this problem to escalate. I just checked the weather report and they said that it will rain for the next three days."

Several gasps could be heard as Hedgehog Cafe workers frantically looking at each other. Three more days of this nonsense meant hell for them. Amber sighed. Her love for Donghae could not overcome her irritation towards Donghae's 'sickness'. She might just ask for a three-day leave if the weather report was true. 

"No, don't ever think of taking a leave, Manager-shi."

"Damn."

"Well, what do you have in your mind, Jonghyun?" Chanyeol asked. When the part-timer looked at him with a confused look, he rolled his eyes. "There must be a reason why you decided to crack the teapot right?"

"Eh? I didn't... I didn't right?" Jonghyun carefully check the bottom of the teapot. After seeing no damage had been done, he sighed with a relief. "I just want to address the issue, that's all."

"Yeah, it's a bother for me too. I feel like quitting." Amber muttered and add 'just kidding' when she saw a shocked expression displayed on every worker.

"Let's have a party~!" Krystal jumped, pumping her fists up in the air.

"Party? In this madness?" Chanyeol shrugged.

"Well, it's a party to cheer him up. We all love Donghae-shi... right?" Her voice trailed off but it was not long before she picked up her enthusiasm. "The thing is Donghae-shi is a good, adorable, kind..."

"Yes, yes, we get it. I think it's a good idea. Count me in." Amber piped in.

"Okay, let's do this. Let's close the shop early!" Jonghyun smirked.

"You just want to leave work early right?"

 

Donghae glanced around the café; the business seemed to be slow today. He was glad that he predicted the sales for today, or else he would end up with trays of unsold breads and buns. When the grandfather clock placed at the corner of the café chimed 8.00 p.m. sharp, the café was practically empty except for him and the workers. Ah, talking about the workers…

“They are too quiet today.” Donghae muttered under his breath. He was used with Jonghyun’s loud voice and Krystal’s ‘Ah!!!’ whenever she managed to trip on the flat, smooth floor of the café.

“Guys- I…”

Donghae was just about to turn around when he was strangled (loosely) by Jonghyun, and a cloth was put over his eyes, making him stared into pure blackness.

“Hey! What nonsense are you guys planning…”

“Shush, Donghae! Just play along.” Amber stepped in and gave Donghae a light tap. Upon hearing Amber’s voice, Donghae sighed.

“Well, the thing is I’m not in the mood to play…”

“Aww, come one, Donghae-shi. For today only!” Krystal beamed although her smile was wasted on Donghae as the man was trying hard to grab something solid, putting his life on the line.

“Okay, okay. Whatever it is, just don’t leave me standing here okay? I might knock into something and bleed until I die while you guys are busy trying to search for your mobile phones.”

“Yes, yes. Don’t worry; our mobile phones are safely inside our pockets. Chanyeol, help your worrywart employer please.”

 

The BBQ restaurant was packed with people, especially section chiefs who decided to hold their monthly company dinners today. After managed to knock into several people (plus chairs, tables, and nearly hit by a delivery motorcycle), Donghae was safely seated between Amber and Chanyeol.

“I think I just lost half of my remaining life.” Donghae sighed and removed his blindfold.

“Donghae-shi, you’re the most awesome person ever~!” Krystal laughed.

“For putting up with this nonsense? Well, thank you very much.”

“No need to be grumpy, Donghae. Your hardworking workers are the one who planned all this, you know.” Amber raised her hand, calling the ahjumma to place their order.

“Who says I’m grumpy?” Donghae pouted, but then he flashed a smile to everyone at the table. “Thank you, guys.” His smiled faltered and turned into a frown. “Those who are minors are not allowed to drink okay?! I’ll keep my eyes on you guys.”

“Yes, yes.”

 

After two hours, Donghae had his face on the table. Jonghyun and Krystal had gone back half an hour ago, and Chanyeol offered to send the high-schooler and the college student to their houses. Amber was busy grilling the meat; it was better to eat as much as you could when someone else was paying.

“Amber?”

“Oh, have you woken up already? You’re wasted.”

“Let’s go back. My head is spinning.”

“Give me 10, no, 15 minutes.” And she started to stuff her face.

Donghae sighed and slapped his cheeks to bring back his senses. When the dizziness was somehow bearable, he stood up.

“Where are you going?” Amber asked; filled with grilled meat.

“Toilet.”

Donghae staggered a little, accidentally stepping someone’s expensive shoes. The owner of the shoes stepped back.

“Opps, so sorry.” Donghae looked straight to a man with matching expensive suit.

“No worries. Be careful.” He slid past Donghae and returned to his own table.

“God.” Donghae grimaced. “I just had one small cup….”

 

 

 

to be continued

Next part: Hyukjae's story

Before the wedding