vii

Broken Minds

chapter // vii. 

Jimin woke up with a dry mouth and a headache that could kill. He groaned at the pain in his head and the unease he felt in his stomach. It was still dark in the room since there were no windows, so he had no idea if it was morning, or if he had only slept for a couple of hours and it was still dark. It sure felt like that. His eyes adjusted in the darkness and he realized Jungkook was passed out next to him. Before waking him, he sat up--all of his muscles ached--and pulled out his phone from his back pocket, which he had foolishly slept on. He tried to turn it on, but it appeared to be dead. He put it back in his pocket and let out a light breath. His whole body felt sore.

He then turned to Jungkook and shook him. It took him a minute, but finally Jungkook groaned as he awoke. "It's time to get up," Jimin said as he got to his feet. He felt slightly imbalanced, as if the alcohol was still taking effect on him. But he knew it was just a really, really bad hangover. It was rare for his hangovers to get this bad, but it did happen from time to time. Each time he swore to never drink again.

Jungkook laid still in his spot, not wanting to get up. His headache was even worse, and he felt like he was going to vomit again any second. There was already a bitter taste in his mouth. For a moment he wondered why he felt like this, then hazy memories from last night had started to flood back to him. He immediately felt worse. 

Seeing that he wasn't going to get up on his own, Jimin grabbed Jungkook's arms and pulled him out of the bed. Jungkook whined as his stomach churned from the sudden motion. His head was spinning and he nearly fell backwards to the floor.

"Are you okay?" Jimin asked as he grabbed hold of him. Once the room became steady again Jungkook looked up to see a worried Jimin. Jungkook quickly looked to the floor and kept his head down as he and Jimin made their way out of the guest room. He remembered what had happened right before he went to sleep and was both embaressed and repulsed by his own actions. He then pushed the thoughts out of his mind. It was too early for this.

As soon as they stepped out, Jungkook winced at the sudden brightness of the apartment. Only a couple lights were on, and the rest of the apartment had natrual spilling in from the windows. The house was actually a little dim with the exception of the living room, but every light the two boys saw was intensified from their hangover. Jungkook couldn't even look up, so he kept his head down again while covering his eyes from the lights in front of him. Jimin squinted, but his eyes had started to adjust the brightness.

When they walked out to the living room they saw Namjoon sitting on the couch reading a book. Namjoon had noticed them right away as they made their way to the couch next to him. 

"Well good morning," he said as he closed his book and laid it on his lap. Even though he spoke in a normal tone, his voice had sounded twice as loud in the younger boys' heads.

"What time is it?" Jimin asked, still squinting a little. Namjoon picked up his phone from the small coffee table in front of him and the screen to check the time.

"Almost three."

"In the afternoon?" Jimin questioned in surprise. His voice was hoarse and his throat hurt. 

"That's what happens when you go to bed at five in the morning," he replied. Jimin was speechless. Even when he partied before he'd never slept in this late. He wondered if his parents tried to contact him while he was asleep. He hoped they hadn't called Jungkook's parents to check up on him, or the other way around. Their parents didn't usually call each other, but sometimes if the boys were acting strange they'd call one another to check up on them to make sure they weren't hiding anything.

"Where's your shirt?" Namjoon pointed to Jimin's exposed torso. Jimin looked down at himself. He hadn't realized his shirt was missing until now, and he knows he remembered coming to Namjoon's apartment with it on. 

"I don't know," he said, very confused. Namjoon then sat up and went to his room to fetch something. Jimin glanced over at Jungkook, who still had his head down with his eyes closed. "Are you okay?" he asked him again. Jungkook opened his eyes a little and looked in Jimin's direction while still keeping his gaze to the floor. He gave him a small nod, even though he felt just as bad, if not worse, than last night. Before he could open his mouth again, Namjoon came back with a white T-shirt in one hand and two water bottles in the other. 

"Here," he said as he threw the shirt to Jimin, who then put it on. He sat down on the coffee table across from them and handed them the water bottles. They both quickly opened the bottles and drank a few sips of water. "What's the last thing you remember?" he asked the both of them.

The two younger boys both thought. Jungkook didn't want to say anything as he regretfully remembered what had happened in the guest room, and he didn't want to remember much of last night anyway, so he kept quiet. Jimin took a minute to think. He had been so ed up on drugs and various alcohols, when he tried to remember the events of last night his mind became foggy. He remembered more of when he had started to sober up, but even then it was a little unclear.

"Uh," Jimin said as he attempted to collect his thoughts properly. "I don't really know. I remember you driving us here. And then coming inside."

"And do you know why?" Namjoon questioned. He sounded like an angry mother who strangley calm, which Jimin would've found humorous if not for the current circumstances.

"No, not really," Jimin responded. "How'd you know we were there? At the party?" he asked as he remembered never speaking of the party to Namjoon. The elder grabbed his phone on the table, unlocked it, and opened the messages that he and Jimin had exchanged last night. He then gave his phone to him. As Jimin read the messeges his expression hardened a bit. He couldn't recall sending those texts for the life of him. 

"You drunk texted me in the middle of the night and I was worried. So I asked Jin if he knew anything about a party and he told me about the college party that Yoongi had invited him to. He said he'd probably invited you two also. Since Yoongi had already given him the address for the party he forwarded it to me," Namjoon stated as he took his phone back from Jimin, who was still trying to recall several events from the night before.

"Wait, so you were the one who was yelling at Yoongi last night?" Jungkook perked up as his memory started to refresh. He remembered being at the front of the house where two men were yelling at each other. He hadn't realized it at the time, but one of them had been a very drunk and angry Yoongi. Now it made sense. He felt even more nauseous.

"Yeah, and I dragged you both out of there. It wasn't safe. I don't know what the hell he was thinking bringing two high school students to a college party," he shook his head. "And what the hell were you two thinking? Why did you drink? You know you guys are still underaged," he started to raise his voice. This only made Jungkook's headache worse. "You know how bad those kind of parties can get. Yoongi wasn't even with you guys when I got there. Who knows what could've happened to you two while being separated from each other."

He nagged them, which only agitated Jimin. They had just woken up with a killer hangover and they were being angrily lectured about the safeties of partying and drinking. The two boys just sat still with their heads down while Namjoon yelled at them. Eventually it fell silent before Namjoon asked his next question.

"What drugs did you take?" It sounded more like a statement than a question, and his voice calmed again. Jimin brought his head up to see Namjoon staring at him. The question caught both of the two younger boys off guard.

"Why do you assume I took drugs?" Jimin asked. He felt a little offended. It sounded like Namjoon had expected him to take drugs.

"Because your pupils were dialated. And you were acting out of your mind, even for someone who was wasted. What did you take?" 

Jimin was silent, and he averted his eyes away from Namjoon's. This had been the first time he had ever felt genuinely bad for taking norcotics and drinking. He hated feeling this way. He thought this whole situation was stupid. Why did Namjoon care so much? Why was he acting like his mother? This was ridiculous. 

"Jimin."

"I don't know!" he snapped. His tone came out angrier than he intended. This caused Jungkook to look up at Jimin, a little surprised. He didn't get mad often, and even when he did he tried not to show it. "There was some guy passing out pills and I took one. I don't know what it was."

Namjoon sighed as he dropped his head. He closed his eyes for a moment to collect himself. "You shouldn't be that careless," he said, looking back up at them. "That pill could've killed you." Jimin rolled his eyes. He'd taken pills plenty of times. He didn't need to be nagged about it now.

"Are you listening? What you did was dangerous. Do you realize that?" Namjoon questioned.

"Okay! I get it! You don't need to keep nagging me. It's not like you've never drank underaged or done drugs," Jimin complained.

Namjoon looked a little taken aback by his outburst. He calmed himself again before responding. "Yeah, and I know how many mistakes I wish I could take back, and how many dangerous situations I was in because of that . I don't want you two making the same mistakes I did," he said.

"Okay, well who says we're gonna end up making the same mistakes as you? If Yoongi can trust us why can't you?" Jimin said as he sunk into the couch as he crossed his arms. Jungkook was still nervous watching the two argue.

"Because I don't trust Yoongi," the elder said. The room fell quiet, and the atmosphere was heavy. Jungkook wanted to say something to lighten the mood, but he was at a loss for words. He had no idea what to even say. Jimin sighed.

"Well I know my limits, and I'm always careful, okay? So you don't need to worry so much," he said.

"When I got to the party I found you on the floor with a bucket over your head and Jungkook trying to push you down a flight of stairs. That doesn't seem like knowing you limits and being careful to me," Namjoon responded.

Like Jungkook, Jimin was at a loss for words. He knew he couldn't defend himself well, and he was conflicted about how he should feel. He felt bad for worrying Namjoon, but he was also mad at him. He made it seem like Jimin could've actually died last night, but he'd done stuff like that plenty of times before. He never went too far. Namjoon was just overreacting, but for a good reason. These thoughts were annoying. It was only hurting his head even more. He just wanted to lie back down and sleep off the rest of his hangover. 

Suddenly Namjoon stood up and slowly walked towards the door. "You guys can stay here until you two need to head back home," he said as he grabbed his coat and keys. "I figured taking you guys back home drunk at four in the morning would get both your asses beat. And that hangover's pretty obvious. So, you're welcome."

"Where are you going?" Jungkook asked. 

"To the store. There's no food here. And if you two are gonna stay over late I need to get more than I have here," he replied as he opened the door. He then shuffled out of the door, leaving the two hungover boys alone in the awkward atmosphere.

 

The two didn't talk much for the remainder of the day. They were mostly laying down on the couch or back in the guest room bed in hopes their headaches would fade quickly. Usually they'd be playing video games or running around messing with each other, but the apartment was abnormally quiet. The air was still.

Jimin had found a charger and hooked it up to his phone to see several missed calls and texts. Most were from his parents, which filled him with dread knowing he'd have to call them back. He knew he'd get scolded from them for not picking up his phone and making them worry. However, he also saw a couple texts from Jin and Yoongi. When he saw Yoongi's name he felt bad, remembering how Namjoon showed up at the party and yelled at him. That was all his fault. He didn't feel like talking to him or Jin, so he figured he'd just text them back tomorrow. He didn't want to call his parents either and get yelled on the phone, so he decided to just text them, updating them where he was and that he was doing okay.

By the time Jungkook's headache had subsided he looked out of the window in the living room to see that it was nearly evening. The sun was starting to set and he felt like he had wasted the entire day. It was the worst he had ever felt in his life. Jungkook swore to himself multiple times that day to never drink again. He was also upset at Jimin for offering him the alcohol in the first place. Then again, he didn't have to agree to take it. 

When his mind went back to the night before in the guest room with Jimin he felt conflicted. He'd remembered every single one of his actions and thoughts. He remembered the moment they had almost kissed, and the way his body felt in the moment. He was disgusted with himself, but he also loved the way it felt too. He was so close to Jimin. His heart started beating faster as he thought about it.

He quickly pushed the thoughts of out his mind again, like he'd been trying to do the whole day. He wasn't sure why almost kissing Jimin bothered him so much, which is what upset him most. As much as he tried to hide it from himself, he liked Jimin. And from what almost happened last night, Jimin appeared to like him too, so he should feel happy. Or maybe they were just two overactive boys under the influence of something that messed with their minds, and in that moment, anything could have happened.

Jungkook felt like he had forever messed up their friendship. Sure, he'd messed around with Jimin before, but it had never been anything serious. He just hoped Jimin didn't remember what happened the last hour they were awake.

 

By the time Namjoon came home it was already dark out, and the two younger boys were nearly passed out again. "I'm back," he announced as he put the groceries he was holding on the counter in the kitchen. Jungkook, who was half asleep on the couch, sluggishly sat up and rubbed his eyes before looking to the kitchen to see Namjoon unpacking his bags of food. 

"Where's Jimin?" Namjoon asked. Jungkook looked around the room.

"The guest room I think?" he said in a scratchy voice. "He's probably sleeping."

"Can you wake him? I'm gonna make something," Namjoon responded while getting out a pot.

"Sure." Jungkook slowly stood up from the couch. Even though his body was still a bit sore, he felt refreshed after taking the day to rest. He then walked to the guest room to see Jimin passed out on the bed with his phone in hand. Just walking in the room again and seeing Jimin embaressed him again. He made his way over to him and shook up awake. 

"Huh?" Jimin muttered as he opened his eyes and sat up. "What happened?" he sheepishly asked as he looked at the boy in front of him. Jungkook kept his eyes to the ground. 

"Namjoon's back and he's making us something," Jungkook said as he turned around to leave the room again.

When they both got back into the living room they sat down on the couch again, waiting for what ever Namjoon was whipping up. Jimin had tried to talk to Jungkook, but Jungkook wouldn't hold the conversation, only giving him one or two-worded answers in response. It almost seemed like he was giving Jimin the cold shoulder. He hoped he hadn't done anything at the party that would've made things awkward between them. Maybe the atmosphere was still a little heavy from eariler in the day. 

Finally, Namjoon came over to them with a couple bowls full of noodles and two cups of tea that smelled minty. They both said their thanks to Namjoon and dug into their food. Namjoon went back to the kitchen to clean up. 

"Why were you gone for so long?" Jimin suddenly asked. "Where'd you go?"

"I ran a couple errands, ran into some friends so I hung out with them, and then got something to eat before coming back," he answered. Jimin took a moment before speaking up again.

"Hey, uh, Namjoon," he said, gaining the elder's attention. "Sorry for earlier. I guess I was a little out of line," his voice faltered and he looked back into his bowl of nearly finished noodles. While in the guest room he'd thought about their conversation and felt sorry for how he had acted. Even if he was still a little upset at Namjoon for caring a bit too much, he was a good friend, and Jimin didn't want any tensions between them. Plus, now that his hangover had gone away and he was able to think clearly, and he realized he had been a bit of an to him, and felt bad for it.

"It's fine, don't worry about it. I've been where you are so I know how you're feeling. Just be more careful next time," Namjoon replied. Jimin didn't think Namjoon had been where he was, but it didn't matter. At least they had made up. 

Noticing the boy next to him fiddling with his finished bowl of noodles, Jimin turned to him. "Jungkook," he said as he put his hand on his back. Jungkook flinched and immediately stood up with his bowl in hand. For a split second it looked like he was going to say something, but then he hurried to the kitchen to clean his bowl. Jimin was confused. Something was up between them, and Jimin didn't know why, or if it was his fault. He looked back down at his noodles and let out a breath. Today really .


I hope I was able to clearly describe their emotions well. I feel like I kinda did a bad job with that. I also feel like this chapter was kinda boring, but hopefully you guys liked it. This chapter took me almost four days to write since it was so long, and I had a lot of trouble with trying to properly write how they were feeling so that it made sense and didn't sound like a complete mess.