i

Broken Minds

chapter // i.

It didn't take long for Jungkook to realize the boy beside him was staring at him. He wasn't even paying attention to the video game they had been playing. He had attempted to ignore him, but seeing the other smiling at him was making Jungkook uneasy. He had been sneaking glances at the younger throughout the session of gameplay, but now he was just blatantly staring, not even attempting to pretend as though he was engaged in the game. Jungkook slowly shot a glance at the other, peeking through the corner of his eye. He had finally gotten frustrated enough to put his remote to the console down and turned to Jimin next to him.

"What?" Jungkook questioned, surprising the other. Jimin's smile quickly faded, as if he hadn't just creepily stared down Jungkook for a good fifteen minutes. 

"What?" Jimin's eyes widened. He acted as though he had done no wrong, and shifted his body back to the television screen, only to see that his player in the game had already lost to Jungkook's.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" Jungkook asked in a rather demanding tone. Jimin's heart raced a little. He quickly tired to think of any valid reason to give. He let out an unconvincing laugh, trying to stall to find an excuse. 

"It's because you've just gotten so ugly," he teased, laughing again and pointing to Jungkook's face. "You're so young yet you look so old. Where did these lines around your eyes come from?" Jimin knew what he said was stupid and untrue, but he had to say anything so Jungkook wouldn't get suspicious. 

The younger raised an eyebrow and stared at the jet-black haired boy before turning his attention to the television again. He knew Jimin always and made fun of him, and he knew he didn't mean it, but for some reason what Jimin said to him hurt. He couldn't even force a smile or cough up a laugh. He tried to focus back on the video game, but he no longer held interest in it. Jimin took notice of it and immediately regretted his words. 

"Hey, you're not seriously upset at what I said, are you?" Jimin asked while leaning into him. Jungkook leaned away from him unfazed. Jimin kept smiling as a way to assure the other that he hadn't been serious, but he knew he had messed up.

"Whatever. What time is it? We should probably be leaving soon so we're not late," Jungkook said as he put down his remote and stood up. Jimin followed in suit and straightened out his clothes. Jungkook turned off the television and headed back over to Jimin, who checked his phone to give him the time. They then headed downstairs to find Jimin's mother in the kitchen cooking. 

"Are you going now?" she asked as she washed some vegetables in the sink. 

"Yeah," Jimin responded before hurrying out of the door with Jungkook. As they made their way outside they saw a familiar black van pull up to them. Inside were two older boys. There was a light brunette in the driver's seat and a blonde with a black snap-back on in the passenger's side. Jimin opened the door and hopped inside the back with Jungkook following. When they closed the door the car bolted away from the house and headed to their destination. 

They were heading to see a horror film at a nearby theater. The movie was critiqued as lackluster and not scary at all, but they had thought it would be fun to see to have a good laugh at the acclaimed mediocrity. It was also a nice way to hang out with their clique and relieve some stress, especially since they all hadn't all seen each other for quite some time. Jimin and Jungkook saw each other every day at school, but it wasn't often that they could have the chance to hang out with the two in the front seat anymore now that they had graduated from their high school.

"So I heard this movie was supposed to be really good," Jimin joked.

"Yeah, right," the driver laughed. "Let's just hope it's laughable-bad, and not just cringey-bad. I don't wanna waste my money."

"Weren't you the one to suggest this movie?" the passenger said, cracking half a smile. 

"Wasn't it Yoongi who said we should all go see this?" Jimin asked. At the mention of that name the blonde passenger's expression hardened. "Is he even coming, Jin?"

"Last time I talked to him he said he was too busy with college," Jin answered while trying to focus on the road. "Unless he spoke to one of you." The car was silent as no one gave a response. Jin looked over at the one beside him for a second before gaining his attention. "Namjoon?" he asked. Namjoon kept his eyes to the windshield. 

"Why would he speak to me?" he stated rather than asked. The atmosphere became uncomfortably awkward. Jimin turned is head to Jungkook, who wasn't paying attention and was looking out of the car window. He already looked uninterested with this hangout. Jimin let out a small breath and sunk into his seat. Hopefully the movie would lighten everyone up.

 

When they arrived at the theater Jimin suggested sitting at the very back. He never liked the idea of other people surrounding him, possibly watching him in the movie theater. He knew he was just being paranoid, but he liked his privacy. He sat next to Jungkook of course, while Jin and Namjoon were at on the other side of Jungkook.

Ten minutes into the movie and Jimin had already lost interest in it. The critics had been right, it was mediocre, and not in the laughable sense. He started to doze off, and without even realizing it, he had begun to trace small circles into the back of Jungkook's hand, which was resting on the armrest. Jungkook had immediately taken notice, but he enjoyed the feeling. His heart started racing at the gesture. This wasn't something someone who was just a friend would do, right? He blushed a little at the feeling and turned his head away from Jimin, trying to focus on the horror flick.

Truthfully, he had been feeling something for Jimin for years, and it got stronger as time passed, especially when they entered high school, when hormones were raging and he started to mature and became more aware of his emotions and feelings. But out of fear of what his family and classmates might think, he tried to repress his feelings. He knew the only accepting people around him were his few friends, but he was still scared to tell them about his feelings, especially to Jimin. He had always had a feeling that Jimin liked him back--or so he liked to think that--but wasn't sure if that was true, or if it was just that Jimin was really close with him and liked to show his affection for Jungkook very physically. 

Still, he had always tried to reject how he felt. He didn't feel normal, and that ate him up all of the time. Sometimes he went crazy just thinking about it. He couldn't talk about it with his parents, school friends, teachers, and especially not Jimin. So he'd always keep his emotions and thoughts bottled up. Sometimes he'd try not to think about it, but it didn't help because that was all he could think about. He liked Jimin, and for that, he wasn't normal. 

Jimin, on the other hand, was insanely in love with Jungkook. He'd try to give subtle hints, but it seemed like nothing ever worked. He'd always beat himself up for it since he was pretty sure Jungkook didn't like him back and never would, especially since he knew Jungkook's parents were completely against homouality. At times when Jimin would try to take it a step further with their relationship, Jungkook would act cold to his affections, as if disgusted by it. Maybe he really didn't like Jimin like that and he was just like his parents.

He had tried talking to Jin and Namjoon about it, but their words never really helped him. Ultimately, he wanted to give up and move on from Jungkook, but he just couldn't. It was too hard. He'd felt too strongly for him for too long. Sometimes he would try to move on from his unrequited feelings for his best friend and date the girls in his class. However, every time he'd date a girl he'd never feel right with them, and break off the relationship before it even began. He knew it was hopeless though; he didn't even like girls. Like Jungkook, he also tried to reject how he felt about his male friend. Eventually, though, he was going to tell Jungkook how he felt, and if he rejected him, then he didn't care. As long as he knew, Jimin would finally have relief.

As soon as Jimin realized what he was doing he pulled back his arm and kept it on his lap. Jungkook frowned. He had liked the tracing motions Jimin performed on his hand. Although he didn't always show it, he liked the physical affection between them. Without thinking, he wrapped his arm around Jimin's and leaned his head on his shoulder. Jimin froze, only looking down to see Jungkook's eyes closed, as if he was falling asleep. Feeling Jungkook's arm wrapped around his own caused his face to blush. 

Jungkook mirrored Jimin's motions and started to trace circles into his bicep. Jimin's body felt a surge of pleasure from Jungkook's action. He bit his lower lip as he tried to focus his attention on the movie, trying to distract himself. Damn you Jeon Jungkook, he thought as Jungkook kept doing the motions. Eventually, Jungkook had actually fallen asleep sometime within the movie. Jimin took notice and stared at his sleeping face, which was probably one of the greatest things to witness.

The movie had only managed to gain a few mild laughs from Namjoon. Jin had nearly fallen asleep too, but the loud noises from the jump scare scenes kept him awake. After the movie had ended they headed out of the theater and outside. 

"Man, that movie really ," Namjoon said while stretching his arms.

"Yeah, Jungkook even fell asleep," Jin added. Jungkook looked over at Jin and his face lightly reddened at having been caught. 

"You saw?" he asked, slightly smiling out of embarrassment.

"Yeah, you were sleeping right on Jimin." 

After they had exited the theater area they hung out at a nearby coffee shop. They spent a few hours catching up and hanging out like how they used to. The four boys all attended the same middle school, which is where they all met each other. They had also all attended the same high school, but since Jin and Namjoon were two years older than the younger two, they graduated as the younger two entered their third year of high school. After the elder boys had gotten jobs they didn't have a lot of free time to visit and meet up with Jimin and Jungkook anymore.

Eventually they had decided to all head home as it was getting late, and the sun was starting to set. Jin then dropped off the two younger boys at Jimin's house. After they said their goodbyes Jin drove off. Jimin turned to Jungkook and gave a small smile.

"Do you wanna crash here for the night?" Jimin asked.

"Sure," Jungkook answered. 

They both hurried inside and tried their best to avoid Jimin's mom, who would always want to talk to them about their day and want every single little detail about what they did. After successfully making their way up to Jimin's room and avoiding his mom, he shut the door. They took off any essential clothing that they didn't need to wear inside. Jimin practically jumped on his bed and tucked himself under the sheets. Jungkook looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Going to sleep already? It's not even eight o'clock yet," he said with a slight grin finding its way on his face. Jimin closed his eyes and rolled over on his bed.

"I'm getting old. I'm not as youthful with energy anymore," he sheepishly replied. 

"You're not even eighteen yet, how could you be getting so old?" Jungkook chuckled as he headed to the bed and pushed Jimin over to make room for himself.

"Oh, going to bed too are we?" Jimin teased.

"What else am I supposed to do?" Jungkook playfully responded. He took a share of the covers and buried himself with them as he sank into the bed and closed his eyes. They were both tired from the day's events, even if they didn't do much. Jimin let out a rather large breath as a few minutes went by before he realized something.

"Who's gonna turn off the lights?" he said suddenly. There was a moment of silence before he turned his body to face Jungkook, who he presumed was asleep. He sighed as he closed his eyes again. He didn't want to get up, so he figured he'd just leave the light on. 

Jungkook suddenly moved closer to Jimin so much that their bodies were nearly touching. He buried his face in Jimin's chest, which caused Jimin's heart to start beating fast. Jimin dared not to move. His face and ears blushed with pink as he stared at the younger. He hesitantly put his arm around him and pulled Jungkook in a little closer into him. For a split second Jungkook's breath became irregular and Jimin was worried he'd been caught. He observed every feature of his younger--from his smooth skin, to his sharp features, and to his soft, pink lips. He so badly wanted to run his fingers through Jungkook's hair, hold his face, and kiss him while pinning him down to the bed. Regrettably, Jimin's mind started to wander into these thoughts.

Jungkook, who hadn't quite fallen asleep yet, felt a rustling going on below him. He peaked out of one eye to see that Jimin's legs were squirming around. He was confused until he realized Jimin had a rising he was likely trying to hide. A little bit confused and taken aback, Jungkook quickly closed his eye and had to stop himself from smiling or giggling at the situation. He decided it would be funny to and make it worse.

He moved so close to Jimin that there was hardly any space between them. Jimin's breaths then became heavier as he felt a little uncomfortable. Jungkook had slightly brushed up against his , which didn't help him at all try to get rid of it. Jungkook slid a hand up Jimin's thigh and rested it over his lower back. 

"Dammit Jungkook," he heard Jimin whisper. He had to stop himself again from laughing. He enjoyed the moment but decided to stop teasing before things went too far, and after a few minutes he really did fall asleep. Jimin, however, couldn't sleep until his was gone. He had eventually dozed while watching Jungkook and fell asleep himself.


2017.03.06 Update: So After 2 years of abandoning this story I decided to start writing it again. Right now I'm in the process of editing the chapters and refreshing myself on what I had planned for the story. Hello to all the new readers and I'm sorry to all the old subscribers who are just now getting new updates again lol.