ii

Broken Minds

chapter // ii.

Namjoon was dosing off when he suddenly saw two small boys in front of him. It took him a few seconds to register in his head that the boys were Jimin and Jungkook. Namjoon stood up and rubbed his eye.

"What are you two doing here?" he asked. It was rare that anyone of his friends showed up in his workplace, a music shop. He had been standing behind the counter all day with his chin resting on his hand while his elbow rested on the shop counter. Despite it being the holiday season, the shop hardly had any costumers today.

"It's the last day of our break and we wanna do something so we're not bored," Jimin said. For them it was either hang out with friends or spend more time with their families. They had only gotten one week for their winter break, and the first five days had been taken up by family time. This was the last day they could have to themselves before dedicating most of their time to school and homework again.

"I'm working right now," Namjoon responded. 

"Come on!" Jimin playfully pouted. "It's the last day we get to have break!" He jumped up and down like a toddler who was making a tantrum. Namjoon looked around the shop to make sure no one was looking. There was only one costumer in the store in the far back. He figured he could leave the rest of his shift to his co-worker, who was slacking off in the staff room.

"Okay, okay," Namjoon waved. "Hold on." He headed to the staff room where he asked his co-worker to take his shift for the remainder of the day. After getting his approval he took off his nametag and exited from behind the counter. The three stepped outside of the shop and started walking down the sidewalk.

"Now what?" Namjoon asked as he look at the two.

"Can we hang at your place?" Jimin asked. Namjoon raised an eyebrow at him. "Come on! Your place is better to be at than ours!" he whined. The blonde thought for a moment and then nodded. 

"Fine. I'll see if Jin can come with us too. He usually gets off work early on Sundays," he said as he whipped out his phone to text the elder. The two boys in front of him smiled. Namjoon's apartment wasn't anything special, but he had a lot of videos games. It was also a decent size so it was perfect for running or wrestling around in.

After receiving a text from Jin saying he'd be there in five minutes, they started to head to his place. Since Namjoon didn't have a car they walked for a few minutes to his apartment complex. The older was walking in front while the high schoolers were following behind him. Jimin and Jungkook's hands had brushed up against each other several times. The first time was on accident, but then Jimin started walking closer to him, causing both their shoulders and hands to bump into each other. Jungkook felt uncomfortable with the awkward touching, so he moved away a little. Jimin took noticed and decided to distance himself a bit so they were no longer brushing up against each other. 

Jimin then cautiously slid his hand into Jungkook's so that they were holding hands. The younger immediately brought his head up to Jimin with a questioning glance, but Jimin was purposefully looking the other way. He figured it was probably just Jimin being his usual touchy-feely self, so Jungkook decided not to question it and tired to hide his slightly embaressed face.

When they were a few blocks away from the apartment complex they'd already spotted Jin waiting in the parking lot by his car. Since Jin had just gotten off work he was still dressed in formal attire. He was wearing black slacks with a light blue shirt and a loosened tie, completed with fancy black shoes that complemented the outfit. He brought his arm up to his face as he checked the time on his wrist watch.

"About time. I've been waiting here for about ten minutes," he said as the others came closer.

"Shut up it didn't even take us that long," the blonde responded. They soon found themselves in Namjoon's apartment. The first place the two youngers hurried to was Namjoon's room, where the haven of video games lay. They immediately a console and jammed in a car racing game. Namjoon snorted at them as he stumbled through the door with Jin following. They entered his room and sat down on the bed in front of the television. Namjoon cheered on Jimin's character while Jin rooted for Jungkook's as they played. 

Soon they switched to a fighting game, which was both of their favorite type of game. Jin played with Jimin for a while, but he eventually gave the remote controller back to Jungkook. Jin was never much for videogames. He'd rather watch the kids have fun than engage in it himself. 

After a few more rounds there was a knock at the door. Just as Namjoon was about to stand up from the bed Jin shouted, "I'll get it!" before sprinting to the door. As soon as he opened it his face lit up with a smile and he gave the man in front of him a tight hug.

"It's been so long, how are you doing?" Jin asked brightly. The others were curious hearing Jin in the other room speak to someone. The man then entered the apartment and into Namjoon's room with Jin. Jimin and Jungkook immediately dropped their remotes and excitedly hugged the man as well. 

"Yoongi! What are you doing here? How've you been?" Jimin squeezed him. 

"How long has it been?" Jungkook asked. Yoongi laughed as he was bombarded with hugs and questions. It had been a long three months without seeing him, let alone any contact with him too. He had been too preoccupied with university and his studies to talk to anyone outside of his college. And he was kind of a bad texter, so no one really bothered to talk to him that often unless he came down to visit everyone.

"I texted Jin the other day that I was coming home since I was on break now, and he invited me to come here a little while ago," he said. As the four standing were reminiscing, Namjoon was still stitting on his bed and kept his head down. He was internally fuming. He didn't want to see Yoongi, and the fact that Jin had invited him over to Namjoon's place without telling him angered him to no end.

"How long are you here for?" Jungkook asked. 

"Two weeks," he answered as he took off his beanie and long coat. He held it up to Jin who took them and placed them on a nearby chair.

They went on to catch up for a few more minutes before they decided to all sit down. Jimin and Jungkook sat back down on the floor where they continued their game. Yoongi sat on the bed next to Namjoon, who still didn't look at him. Jin announced that he'd get some drinks from the fridge before leaving the room for the kitchen. Namjoon tired to focus of the video games the two in front of him were playing, but he was too distracted by his own anger and discomfort. Yoongi then turned to him.

"So... How have you been?" he asked in a low, cautious voice. It took a moment before Namjoon hesitantely responded.

"Good," is all he said. His voice was cold.

"That's good," Yoongi said while lightly nodding, then turning his attention to the television. His mind was still on the person next to him, but he didn't know exactly what to say. The tension was awkward and unbearably uncomfortable. Namjoon just wanted to get away from him.

"I gotta pee," he said, quickly getting up and exiting the room. Yoongi slightly pursed his lips and let out a light breath. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the loud screams of Jimin as he lost yet another match to Jungkook. Jimin pushed him while Jungkook kept chuckling at his defeat. 

"Can you beat him? I've lost every game and I need someone to crush his ego!" Jimin whined as he held the remote to Yoongi. The older smiled and moved to the ground to battle Jungkook. Both Yoongi and Jungkook were especially good with battling games, so it was bound to be suspenseful to see who would win. So far, Jungkook had won every match against Jimin since they arrived at the apartment. The two immediately started to intensely play and Jimin knew it'd be awhile before either of the two would win. 

"I'll be right back," Jimin announced as he left the room. 

He quietly and slowly made his way from corner to corner as he scanned the house for Namjoon. He knew the older didn't want to be in the same room as Yoongi, so he was going to check if he was okay. He eventually made his way by the kitchen and spotted both him and Jin. He hid behind a wall and peaked out from a door frame. Namjoon looked angery, and when he was mad it wasn't pretty. He watched as Namjoon cornered Jin to the fridge. 

"I just don't understand why you invited him here of all places," he heard the blonde say.

"Look, just because you have a problem with him doesn't mean we should too. He's my friend and I want to hang out with him," Jin responded. Namjoon sighed at his words. "Can't you just try to put up with him for today? You don't even have to talk to him," Jin tried to reason.

"Fine. Whatever," Namjoon said. The air was stiff as they stood in their place. Jimin's eyebrows furrowed at them, confused as to why they were just silently standing there. He nearly jumped when he heard a sudden bang. Namjoon had pinned Jin's arms to the fridge and stared at him with intense eyes. Jimin's eyes widened and observed them more zealously. 

Namjoon then pushed himself onto Jin and kissed him hard. Jimin's jaw nearly dropped to the ground at what he saw. He had to cover his mouth so no sound came out of it as a reaction to the scene in front of him. He didn't even know how to process what he was seeing. Jin and Namjoon? Sure they were good friends, but they were never into each other. Did Jin even like men? When did this even happen? And Namjoon's aggressiveness had also taken him aback. Usually he was the gentle type. Seeing him like this was rare and it slightly scared Jimin.

Confused, Jimin hurried back to Namjoon's room as quickly as possible before he saw anything else. When he entered the room he sat down next to Jungkook right as they approached the end of the battle. Both of Jungkook and Yoongi's characters had little HP to their lives left. Eventually Yoongi had used a special move to wipe out the rest of his opposing character's life and had successfully won. He jumped up and screamed in victory while Jungkook groaned in defeat. 

"Don't worry, Jungkook. Some day you'll be as good as me," Yoongi laughed while patting him on the back. "You're welcome," he said to Jimin, who smiled back at him. Not long after, Jin and Namjoon came into the room again. Jin had handed everyone some soda and sat down next to Yoongi, forcing Namjoon to sit on the bed by himself. 

Yoongi had challenged Jungkook to another round, but he declined claiming that he was burnt out on playing. Jin had taken his place and started playing against him, even though he knew would lose the game within the first five seconds against Yoongi. Jimin looked at the elder sitting on the bed and Namjoon couldn't tell if he was looking at Jin or Yoongi, but he knew this hangout had practically been ruined now.