The Loss for a Gain

Together

Sanghyun and I got second place for most of the games. We were always neck and neck with Yunhyeong and that weirdo. 

"Sanghyun, we've gotta win this last one since it'll determine the winner of the whole race. Come on, didn't you want to prove you weren't a loser?"

"Yah, it's just a three-legged race. What could go wrong? Now move outta the way, your blocking their view of me," he said before pushing me to the side. 

"Tch, their obviously looking at the view behind you," I muttered with my arms crossed. I watched as that weirdo gave Yunhyeong some water. 

"Why don't you try to burn a hole in his face?"

I jumped and quickly turned around to see who said that. Of course, it was Hanbin. "Why don't you go choke on some water?"

"So, have you said sorry yet?"

"Does it look like I've had time to?" I asked incredulously. "Geez, why are you still here anyways? Didn't you get disqualified because Minah got caught cheating during one of the games?"

"Yeah, but they didn't say I had to leave," he replied nonchalantly. "Besides, I wanted to see who was gonna win."

I crossed my arms again and laughed. "Isn't it obvious Sanghyun and I are gonna win?"

"Not really, I think that first year duo are going to win. Probably not, but it definitely won't be you guys."

"Ha, you owe me dinner then if we win."

"Hm, then if you lose-" He paused and looked like he was trying to think of something. "You'll be my maid for a day."

"Fine. I hope you have enough money for beef, cause I'm winning this race," I said as I tightened my pony tail. 

-

"Why is this so hard?!" I exclaimed while I tried to keep the pace with Sanghyun. 

"It's probably cause your legs are short. Now keep up if you want to stay in front," he said as he gripped my waist tighter. 

I took longer strides and stuck closer to Sanghyun so that we'd have a better chance of winning. I stole some quick glances behind us to see how far ahead we were only to see Yunhyeong and company a couple steps behind.

"Come on, let's go faster, they're right on our t-" I could feel that my foot caught on something and then I went tumbling down, with Sanghyun landing right on top of me. "Ugh, get off of me. You're heavy," I grunted. 

"Great going, moron. You just cost us the race," said Sanghyun after rolling off of me. "I knew you were going to ruin one event, but I didn't think it'd be the last and most important one. We could've won and got a class trip to Jeju, but no you're clumsinesss just had to make a special appearance."

"It's not like I fell on purpose, you jerk. Something must've tripped me, I didn't just fall because I like the ground."

"Soorin-ah, are you okay?" I looked up and saw Yunhyeong looking at me with concern. His partner just glared at me as she crossed her arms. 

"I'm fine," I answered while trying to get up. 

"See, she's fine. Now let's go, we've got a race to win." She pulled Yunhyeong with her and they fast walked towards the finish line. 

"Come on Sanghyun, we shouldn't lose to them," I said. "Hurry and help me up!"

Sanghyun helped me to my feet then we both grabbed onto each other's waists and practically ran after them. There was a throbbing sensation coming from my right ankle but it wasn't that painful so I endured it. Anything to win the race, right?  

Just a couple more steps and we could've beat them. Sanghyun looked at me angrily as he untied the ribbon around our ankles.

"What?"

"What do you mean what? Thanks to you tripping, we lost," he fumed.

"Whatever, I'm going back to our class. Be a sore loser by yourself."

-

"Geez, go easy will you. I'm not a toy," I complained to Haejin as she wrapped my ankle.

"Sorry, I didn't go to medical school, your highness. How did this happen anyways?" she questioned as she finished. Then she got up and pulled me to my feet.

"Just thinking about it makes me angry, so let's just say I fell down the stairs," I said while I dusted off my . 

"Well, I gotta get back. It's probably my shift at the Olympic slide," she said while rolling her eyes.

"I'm not even gonna ask, but I guess I'll see you at the..." I trailed off since I didn't know when we'd be able to meet. 

"The senior's concert," she said excitedly. "That's around eight, so everything should be done by then. Plus, I heard your boyfriend is singing a song." She pinched my cheeks roughly before running off to her class.

I rubbed my face and turned towards the direction of my class. Who is she calling my boyfriend anyways? Stupidly, I forgot that my class was on the third floor. Why didn't this darned school have escalators? Or elevators, those are better. 

I was barely halfway to the second floor, when a crowd of people came running down the stairs. "Hey, watch it!" I shouted angrily. Someone even stepped on my foot!

Good thing I grabbed onto the rail or else I would've went back to where I started. I was just about to take another step, but then I heard someone calling my name from behind. I turned to see Yunhyeong right behind me.

"Oh, um... hi." Yeah, totally not awkward or anything. I watched as he scratched the back of his head.

He was about to start talking again but I put my finger on his lips to shush him. "Before you say anything, I really wanted to say that I'm sorry. I know it's been a couple of days and everything, but I still feel really bad. Please don't tell me you hate me."

He just stared at me blankly. "So, you hate me don't you? Oh my gosh, I knew it. I would hate me too if I were you. You probably can't even stand to loo-" This time he put his finger on my lips to make me stop rambling. 

"I got over it a while ago. I was just acting like that because I wanted to see how long it would take for you to apologize. Apology accepted by the way. And I was still trying to come up with a way to tell you that your pants are ripped," he said. I could tell he was trying to hold in his laughter. 

"Wait, are my pants seriously ripped?" I asked incredulously. I looked down and felt my pants before my hand touched skin. Oh gosh, any higher and people could've seen my . 

Yunhyeong was finally dying of laughter while I tried to think if I had a jacket to cover this rip in my pants. "This isn't funny. If I could crawl in a hole and die, I would." 

Yunhyeong looked up at me as he wiped away his tears and stopped laughing. "What? I'm supposed to wear this to help with my class. We're running a reverse maid café," I said while gesturing to my now ruined butler outfit. 

"You can borrow my jacket," he said as he took it off and tied it around my waist. "I don't wear it much anyways."

"Wait, but thi-"

"Oh, gotta go. Sohyun's looking for me," he said as he jumped down the stairs. 

I decided to just turn back around to continue my slow walk up the stairs. Apologizing is easier than I expected it to be. 

-

"I still can't believe you guys lost," said Hayoung. "Where's Sanghyun anyways? That idiot was supposed to come back hours ago. I even ironed his dress for him!" She flung his dress to the other side of the room angrily. 

"Yeah, I think I saw him with some first year girls," said Junhyuk as he walked over with a broom. "I finished sweeping by the way."

I grabbed the broom from him and went to put it back in the cabinet. "So who's gonna go give the money to... which teacher was in charge of handling our money again?" I asked while scratching my head. 

"Miss Jo, I think. And that's Sanghyun's job, but guess who isn't here? Oh Sang-freaking-hyun!" shouted Hayoung as she pulled her hair. "I think I'm losing hair because of him. Soorin, can you-"

"Sorry. I'm supposed to go meet up with Haejin now, I don't really have time to go to the other... side of the... Ok, fine! Stop with the face it's scaring me," I muttered. 

"I'll go with you," said Junhyuk as he put his arm around my shoulder. 

"Um, you still have some cleaning to do," said Hayoung as she pulled him away by the collar. Then she handed me the envelope with the money that we made for the day. "See you at the senior's concert."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

-

Hello readers!

Sorry for the super long, unintended wait ;_;

I've just been busy with college stuff and helping with a friend's wedding. And my Internet just right now.

Excuses aside, thanks for waiting~