chapter eight

Long Way Home

“Good morning, sunshine.”

Kim Seolhyun came down the stairs with light, elegant steps and headed to the dining room, the atmosphere quickly changing into slight hostility. Hanbin’s older sister never fails to make a fashionably late entrance even at home—either for breakfast and other meals or important gatherings.

Her hair elegantly down and curled, Seolhyun could make any typical-looking uniform trendy. It wasn’t the way she styled it—maybe it contributed like a little percent—but it was how she walked in it. It made it special; hence, almost the entire population in the campus worshipped her.

Hanbin merely responded with a small, lopsided smile to Seolhyun’s quick pinch on his cheek; she did like giving attention to her brothers, which, unfortunately, embarrasses Hanbin. He knew Seolhyun does it in purpose, especially in front of the other students, to let them know that he [Hanbin] was her brother—and that they needed to ‘bow down’ to him as well.

He doesn’t hate her sister, of course. How could he? She’s practically family despite the evil things she did.

Dining with him and her sister were Jongin and, surprisingly, their father, who always claims to be busy whenever one of three kids tries to invite him out for casual celebration. The ambiance in the dining room, from slight hostility, gave way to palpable friction. Considering this happens every single day, Hanbin wasn’t any more surprised.

“Didn’t know you were staying for breakfast,” Seolhyun spoke up, and both Jongin and Hanbin shot her warning looks. Seolhyun only smiled back confidently.

Previously engrossed in his breakfast, Mr. Kim Jihoon stopped eating at the evident aggression in Seolhyun’s voice. His action made both Jongin and Hanbin wince inwardly in fear. Even Seolhyun cowered for a short second, and then recovered quickly.

“Thought I might lecture you a few things about what to eat,” Jihoon said quietly, his tone nothing less than menacing. “It looks like you traded in your neck for an extra chin.”

Seolhyun looked daggers at her father, completely dumbfounded and furious at the insult. Hanbin wanted to say something, just to stop this hostility nonsense, but his father was terrifying when angry. And Seolhyun noona definitely asked for it.

Frightened, Jongin shot Seolhyun a pleading look telling her to stop talking and just continue eating. Hanbin wanted the same because another warfare wasn’t exactly what he needed in this bright, early morning.

But of course, Seolhyun ignored the looks from her brothers. Hanbin knew Seolhyun’s weight was one of her biggest issues.

“You know, when I think of all the people I respect the most,” Seolhyun snapped carefully yet with a hint of unsympathy, her eyes still blaring lasers to their father, “you’re right there. Serving them drinks.”

His right eye twitched, which usually meant he was slightly mad (but he’s going there), however he remained his face expressionless, as if unperturbed by her daughter’s attack. Both Hanbin and Jongin exchanged weary looks, scrambling to find a way to end this feud in a good note.

But knowing Seolhyun, who apparently takes after a lot of their father, this was going to be difficult.

Really, Dad? You’re going to pull that card on me?” Seolhyun chukled sharply, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms on her chest. Breakfast had gone cold. “Should I tell my brothers the truth?”

Jihoon slammed his fist against the table, scaring both poor Jongin and innocent Hanbin, while Seolhyun kept her eyes locked with Jihoon’s, not wanting to give it up. And this was why Hanbin preferred having his friends over with his father not around.

And what truth? Hanbin wondered curiously, his eyes darting from his father to Seolhyun and then back. He glanced at Jongin, who seemed nervous and scared enough to start biting his nails and finding the ground interesting. He knew there was something his father hasn’t told them.

“What truth?” Hanbin blurted out before he could stop himself, his voice small and scared.

Seolhyun smirked at Jihoon. “Do you want to play a game, Dad? It’s called truth or truth. I’m sure you’ll like it.”

What Hanbin couldn’t understand was the fact that Seolhyun was risking everything she ever has for a secret their father clearly didn’t want them to know. Clearly, the secret was of extreme relevance to make Dad get so riled up. His brother, Jongin, was curious as well but he remained quiet and wary just in case their father gets crazy and does something he’ll regret afterwards.

Jihoon glowered at her. “You’ll regret this, Seolhyun.”

“I might,” Seolhyun barked back, her eyes turning to narrow slits, and it was this moment Hanbin knew her sister wasn’t fooling around. “I might not. But you will. You’ll regret this and you know that very well.”

“Seolhyun—” Jongin called only to be interrupted by Seolhyun’s reassuring smile.

“Don’t worry, Jongin-ah,” Seolhyun cooed, reaching out and placing her hand over Jongin’s arm. Times like this made Hanbin realize that sometimes Seolhyun wasn’t so bad. “I’ll take care of you and Hanbin.” She gazed at Hanbin with a smile. Her eyes, he noticed, were teary-eyed but she kept herself firm and strong. “Go ahead, you two. I’ll catch up.”

“No, you two—stay.”

Seolhyun wheeled around to shoot their father a glare. “No. They’re going to school right now.”

“Haven’t been home for days and the three of you dare to act like this?” Jihoon demanded, his eyebrows furrowing in utmost anger. “I need to teach all of you a lesson.”

No, they’re going,” Seolhyun barked back, abruptly standing up and pushing the chair back. “I’m not going to let you treat my brothers the same way you treated Mom. I’m not just going to watch this time, Dad. Not this time.”

 

 

 

A week had passed. So far, Hayi liked the new school.

Well, it had only been a week. There are still a lot of time left before Hayi could graduate high school. Nevertheless, she was relieved—and grateful even—to have friends right from the beginning. She never actually thought it’d turn out like this.

Joy, Hanna, Jisoo and Jennie have become her posse. It wasn’t intentional. From the start, Hayi only thought Joy would be just a fleeting companion, someone who could introduce her to the school and act as her first-day tour guide but it became more than that. Ever since the first day, Hayi spent her lunch period and after classes with the four.

Hanbin came around a few times, too. He’d steal her from the four girls so the two could eat lunch together or they sit next to each other during music sessions. They talked about anything, to the point that they’d ask each other’s favorites and share stories instinctively.

If the school turned out well for Hayi, the situation at home stayed the same. She was still awkward around the businessman but she’s getting used to having Seunghoon around. Soohyun still chased Hayi everywhere, making sure the latter would notice her. It was cute (occasionally) but Hayi still can’t imagine Soohyun as her sister. She needed more time to adjust.

“Hey, what do you know about Hanbin’s friends?”

It was free period so the class representative—AKA Chanhyuk—declared it as study time. Some of the students went to the library for a quieter place, the others ran off to the cafeteria or to play basketball in the gym and few stayed inside the classroom.

Joy and Hayi were two of the students who stayed.

“Not so much,” Joy answered, propping one elbow up and resting her cheek against her palm. “Why?”

“I’m just curious.” Hayi leaned back with her hands still holding a book.

“Didn’t Hanbin tell you anything about them? You guys have spent quite a lot of time together.”

“No, not really.”

“Really? I thought he told you already,” Joy said, averting her attention back to the book she’s reading. “The nine of them are pretty close. I think they grew up together. I wonder why he hasn’t told you about them.”

“I never ask. He talks mostly the entire time we’re together.”

“What do you guys talk about?”

“Anything. Dreams. Life. Music.”

Joy made a sour face. “Isn’t that boring?”

Hayi shook her head, chuckling. “Surprisingly no. You’d be surprised just by how much we talk about.”

Joy pursed her lips. “I’m not very up-to-date about Hanbin’s friends but I do know that there are nine of them including Hanbin. There’s Kim Jiwon who’s mostly known as Bobby.” She started to enumerate using her fingers. “He moved to America when he was young and came back here. There’s Kim Jinhwan. He’s a year older than them. Song Yunhyeong looks a little bit like Zayn only he’s Korean. Goo Junhoe’s the badass guy. Kim Donghyuk’s the cute one. But there’s Jung Chanwoo who’s the cutest. Jung Jinhyeong’s the really cool guy. And there’s Yang Hongseok who’s also a year older.”

“Have we seen them?” Hayi wanted to know.

“Not really,” Joy replied, waving her hand. “They don’t always come to the cafeteria to eat. They go somewhere else.”

“Right. Hanbin told me they avoid comparisons.”

Joy scoffed. “I know how they feel. Seolhyun sunbae makes a big deal out of who you hang out with. You would be surprised at how Jongin sunbae actually started.”

“What do you mean?”

“Jongin sunbae was never popular until his fraternal twin came,” Joy explained, flipping a page of her book. “She threw massive parties, inviting everyone and even students from outside school. Made me wish I was invited but when I knew what they were doing at the party, I changed my mind.”

“So you’re saying Jongin sunbae’s never really that… bad?”

Joy nodded. “Yep,” she replied, prolonging the p. “Seolhyun sunbae became really popular back in 6th grade, I think? Everyone wanted to be her friend. I did, too.” Her cheeks colored like a peach in the sun. “Jongin sunbae transferred around 8th grade and then he suddenly got popular.”

“Oh.”

Hayi had always thought everything around here was pretty simple. Turns out it wasn’t.

“Hey, I’m going to the washroom,” Hayi told Joy. “Anything you want me to get you?”

Joy laughed. “From the washroom?”

Hayi rolled her eyes. “Funny.”

Joy shook her head. “Nah, I’m good. I need to finish this book or else I won’t have anything to write for English homework later.”

“Okay.”

Laughing, Hayi stood up and left the room.

On the way to the washroom, Hayi started to recall the things Joy had told her from Hanbin’s friends to how Jongin got popular. She always thought everything around here was pretty simple, considering nothing huge has happened while she was around. Pretty quiet, to be quite frank. Maybe it was just that calmness or the composure before the storm.

Maybe I should buy something from the cafeteria before I go back

“Oof!”

The impact almost made Hayi lose her balance. She staggered back in utmost surprise. Surely, there was nothing in front of her while she was walking. She could’ve seen it. When she looked up, however, there stood a brusque-looking guy staring down at her.

How. Rude. If he had seen her, why didn’t he call her attention? Why would he just let her crash into her?

Fixing her skirt, Hayi stared back at the guy in hopes of getting an apology out of him. He seemed expressionless but his eyebrows were meeting; it looked like he was mad at her for something she wasn’t aware of.

“Aren’t you going to apologize?”

The guy chuckled sharply. “Next time you should watch where you’re going. Take it as a warning.” And with that, he brushed past her and walked away.

Unbelievable. How dare he? Thinking this was some cruel strange joke, Hayi veered around to look at the guy hoping he’d stop and apologize. But he didn’t. He just continued walking, like he had done nothing wrong.

Hayi wanted to scream. She wanted to run after him, grab his hair and wrestle him on the ground. But those would earn her detention—and she’d have to face the dean early. Getting into the dean’s office was the last thing she wanted to do.

So she took the deepest breath she could, inhaling all the anger and exhaling them all out. She clenched and unclenched her fists. She tried to think of positive thoughts and happy memories. But the anger was still simmering inside her.

She could still remember his face—which just made her even angrier. Next time you should watch where you’re going.

Maybe he should’ve watched where he was going instead. She was at the right side of the hallway and there was a bigger space at the right. He could’ve just walked straight ahead without causing an accident!

Take it as a warning. For what? For his douchy-ness? Right. She hoped she’d never see him again.

“Hayi?”

Walking towards her was Jennie with her face coated with concern and curiosity.

“Are you okay?” asked Jennie, placing a hand on Hayi’s shoulder. “You look like you’re about to explode.”

“I just had the worst day ever. There’s this guy who made me bump into him on purpose and he said something like take it as a warning,” Hayi complained, imitating the voice of the guy from earlier. “I wanted to pluck his eyes out and make him bleed to death!”

Jennie laughed. “Oh, my god, Hayi. Calm down, will ya?” She patted Hayi on the back. “Who’s the guy you’re talking about?”

Hayi grimaced. “I don’t know. I didn’t get to see his name. I was too mad.”

“Maybe he’s just a random guy who’s having a bad day. Let it go, Ms. Hulk.”

“Whatever. He better not show up in front of me again.”

“Yeah coz you’re going to kick his , right?”

Hayi smiled. “Yep.”

“See? Keep smiling, girl,” Jennie exclaimed, side-hugging Hayi. “You look way prettier with that on your face.”

And that guy would look prettier with a black eye on his face, Hayi mentally told herself. One day, when she gets the chance, she would definitely get her revenge.

Slipping her arm through the space between Hayi’s arm and her side, Jennie began walking with her. “Where are you headed to? I was thinking of going to the cafeteria to grab something to eat. I’m starved,” she said.

“I was headed to the cafeteria, too.” Forget about the washroom. She’s lost interest.

“Great!” Jennie squeaked, squeezing Hayi’s arm. “Let’s go together.”

“Okay.”

 

 

 

Once the regular classes were over, Hayi excused herself from Joy, who’s heading to the dance studio for the after school club, and headed to the swimming facility. Besides Music Club, Hayi figured she’d revisit and develop her swimming skills again. She’s always loved swimming. She felt control under the water, like every single thing that bothered her was gone.

She felt free and happy. Healthy, too.

“Hey, Coach.”

After changing and leaving her things in her locker, Hayi departed from the changing area and proceeded to the pool. There were a couple of students lounging by the bleachers, minding their own business, and Hayi instantly felt self-conscious. She wasn’t really endowed with an amazing body. Some team members have started making laps, too.

Jung Jihoon, the swim team’s head coach, responded with a friendly wave and a bright smile. Though he looked pretty laidback, Coach Jihoon was amazingly good in swimming and in bringing out the best of his swimmers. She noticed that during the first day of their meeting. He liked to make his students laugh, too. It’s no question he’s pretty much popular among the teenagers.

And he’s gorgeous, too, said Jennie one time when they were talking about their respective clubs.

“Hey, Hayi!” He greeted back. “How are you feeling?”

What happened earlier made a little cameo inside her head. “Angry,” she answered cheekily.

Laughing, Coach Jihoon patted her on the head. “Well then, you know what to do right? Unleash your anger in the water and just keep swimming.”

She laughed. “Yeah. Yeah, I’ll do that.”

“Oh, wait! Before I forget…” he trailed off, motioning for her to stop.

“Yes Coach?” Hayi prompted, her hand on her goggles.

“Are you in the same class with Goo Junhoe?” He asked, scratching his temple. He wasn’t mad but he seemed irked. “That brat’s been skipping out practices. I swear to God—” He took a deep breath. “Have you seen him? The competition’s in two months and I need him in good condition.”

Hayi frowned. “I don’t know anyone named Goo Junhoe.” She made one last quick enumeration of the names she knew from her class but none of the said name comes up.

Disappointed, he let out a long sigh. Whoever Goo Junhoe was, Coach really seemed to like him. “Well, okay. Thanks. That brat knows very well he’s good at swimming so he thinks he can just skip out the practices. Don’t be like him, alright?” He gave her a fatherly pat on the head.

Hayi smiled. “Yes, Coach.”

Putting her goggles and swimming cap on, Hayi wheeled around and started walking towards the pool. She walked to one lane and stepped on the starting platform. Doing last-minute warm ups for the last time, she mentally prepared herself for the dive and to remember to let all her troubles go and just keep swimming.

At a count of three, she dove.

 

 

 

“Seriously? Why would you do that?”

The last thing Kim Jinhwan expected Junhoe to do was push the girl out of nowhere with unproven assumptions based on rumors circulating around the campus. The rumors obviously gathered mixed reactions from the other eight but it wasn’t much of a big deal.

Junhoe grimaced. “Because I had to.”

“For what?” Jinhwan sighed in an exasperated manner. “I don’t think Hanbin will be happy about this once Hanbin finds out, Junhoe-ya.”

“He won’t. Hyung, I only did what I have to do.”

“What I don’t understand is why do that to her. She’s never done anything to you.”

“For reasons. One,” Junhoe enumerated, holding his fingers up as if to count, “she’s of Lee ancestry and everyone knows that. Two, she’s a girl and girls distract Hanbin hyung.” He paused, as if to contemplate whether girls do distract Hanbin hyung. “Well, I’m not sure but still… and three, she’s a Lee, right? Then she might have—I don’t know—evil intentions towards hyung.”

Jinhwan rolled his eyes in disbelief. “And all these”—he waved his hand—“are your presumptions?”

Junhoe nodded.

“Well, there’s a reason why it’s called presumptions. They’re not true unless proven otherwise.”

“But—”

“Look, Junhoe-ya,” Jinhwan said, placing his arm around the younger one’s shoulder and squeezing it lightly. He brought him closer towards him and lowered his voice as he spoke, “I think it’s better if you don’t do anything and just stay away. We aren’t even sure of what really happened and now you’ve basically attacked first. That’s not fair, man. And once Hanbin finds out, he’ll definitely be angry.”

“Hyung, I only wanted to—”

“I know, I know. But let’s not be rash, okay?”

Junhoe groaned. “Fine.”

(She’s still dead to me anyways, Junhoe thought angrily as he made his way towards the swimming facility after Jinhwan convinced him to stop skipping swim practices when the swim meet is nearby.)

 

 

 

Hayi lost track of time when she dove for the surface. Doggy-swimming, she moved near the lane rope to make way for the other swimmers going for laps. One thing she liked about swimming was she never had to worry about anything under water; she just let it take her.

“Oh, look. It’s the Coach’s superstar.”

One of her teammates, Luna Park, was nearby when Hayi heard her whispering with her friend, Namjoo. She didn’t mean to pry but maybe the ‘superstar’ they were talking about was Goo Junhoe. So out of curiosity, Hayi turned slightly to where Luna and Namjoo are looking and tried to get a view of whoever they were talking about.

“What. The. Hell.”

Once she saw ‘him’, Hayi nearly swam her way out of the pool and wrestled ‘him’ on the ground. It was none other than the guy earlier who rudely bumped into her for no reason. How they met again she didn’t know but this must be some kind of a cruel joke. Somehow, Coach’s Goo Junhoe and the ‘superstar’ were the same person.

The anger that disappeared earlier came back again and this time, Hayi wanted payback.

As quickly as she could, Hayi swam to the edge and got out of the pool. The ‘superstar’ was just there in front of her, tossing his bag to the side and talking to the coach, when she marched right up to him angrily and grabbed his collar.

“H-hey!”

“Remember me?” Hayi growled. She dragged him by his tie towards the pool and, without hesitation, pushed him in. Whenever there was unfinished business from the other party, Hayi would do anything to finish it.

“Lee Hayi!”

Hayi knew she would be punished by Coach Jihoon. Nearly everyone in the area was dumbfounded at what she did—her team members and even the students just hanging around the bleachers. Astonishment was plastered on their faces. Even Goo Junhoe looked tremendously dazed.

“That’s for not apologizing for what you did earlier, you scumbag!” Hayi yelled.

Recovering from shock, the facial expression on his face changed and slowly made way to irritation. He was dripping wet in his uniform.

“Can somebody explain to me what’s happening?” Coach Jihoon yelled, placing his hands on his hips. He glared at Hayi then to Junhoe. “Lee Hayi. Goo Junhoe. To the office now.” He gazed at the other team members. “All of you back to practice!”

 

 

 

There in the middle of Coach Jihoon’s sparkling office stood Hayi and Goo Junhoe with quite a distance between them. They were both mad; Hayi could feel it. The look on Junhoe’s face looked like he was ready to kill anyone in his way.

Coach Jihoon, however, was irritated. He glanced at Hayi, his hands clasped together. “Can you tell me what exactly is going on here?”

“I wanted payback,” Hayi replied shortly.

“And for what reason?”

“He bumped into me this morning. More like pushing,” she explained, her eyes glued to the floor. “It would’ve been nothing if it wasn’t intentional but it was. So I made a big deal out of it. I almost fell on the floor if I wasn’t quick enough to regain my balance. No male is allowed to do that kind of thing to any female.”

She heard Goo Junhoe chuckle. He was still completely drenched despite being told to change; he said he didn’t want to. “Because you deserved it,” he said.

She shot him a dark look. “What did I ever do to you? I don’t even know you.”

Not saying anything, he simply glared back.

“So you two don’t know each other,” Coach Jihoon slowly stated, “but you, Junhoe, pushed her. For the reason that you think she deserves it.”

“Yes,” Junhoe replied flatly.

Coach Jihoon chuckled in disbelief. “Hayi, please go back to the pool. And you,” he said, shooting Junhoe a disappointed look. “You stay after practice.”

Hayi darted Junhoe the most withering glare she could do before leaving the room. If she was going to see him three times a week during practice then she could only hope Coach Jihoon would punish him relentlessly.


nearly a hundred subscribers! thank you very much! love you guys! leave some comments x