chapter twelve

Long Way Home

“Unnie, do you really have to stay there overnight?”

At Saturday morning, Hayi woke up a little early to make one final packing before going to the train station. She’d usually ask her Mom to accompany her but her Mom had been incredibly busy that Hayi could only see her once or twice a week; sometimes never. Her Mom was too busy with her new life to even remember her late husband.

Which was a little disappointing because Hayi did look forward to having her Mom alone just for once. But in the end, Hayi decided to visit her father’s grave by herself. Winter was fast approaching and the wind was getting icy cold so she made a mental note to bring lots of jackets just to make sure.

On the other hand, Soohyun offered to accompany her in the morning, bringing up random topics ranging from school to Hayi’s previous school and what it was like. Hayi knew Soohyun was just trying to make her feel she wasn’t alone, and she was extremely grateful for that, but there was nothing that could fill the loneliness in her heart knowing that her own mother couldn’t even go with her.

When the two girls headed downstairs, they met Seunghoon who was just getting ready for a morning practice at the basketball court. He looked bloated, and Hayi distinctively remembered eating ramyun with him and Soohyun last night. Hayi stifled back a laugh.

“Yeah, yeah. I look like a pig,” Seunghoon sighed, rolling his eyes.

Soohyun giggled while Hayi merely grinned.

“I didn’t even say anything,” Hayi said teasingly.

“You didn’t have to.”

Seunghoon stuck his tongue out and walked with the two girls towards the door. As soon as they opened the door, the morning cold breeze welcomed them, causing the three to shiver immediately with the cold air wafting around.

“Would you be fine walking to the train station alone?” Seunghoon asked Hayi, his tone coating with worry.

Hayi nodded firmly with a smile. “Of course. It’s not my first time.”

“But it’s cold,” Seunghoon stated pointedly.

“And it’s too early in the morning,” Soohyun added. “The sun’s barely up.”

“I can handle it,” Hayi reassured them, shaking her head.

“How about I drive you to the train station?” Seunghoon suggested, waving his hand. “It’s not too far away anyway and it’ll be quick. There’s not much traffic since it’s a Saturday.”

“You don’t really have to do that…” Hayi hesitated.

“Yeah, that’s great, oppa.” Soohyun nodded. “I’ll come along, too.”

“But I—”

“Okay, let me just grab my keys.”

“Really, it’s fi—”

But it was too late because Seunghoon was already sprinting back to the house to get his keys and Soohyun went to get a thicker coat. The gesture was nice but they really didn’t have to do that for her. A minute later, Seunghoon was back followed by Soohyun who was all dressed up in a thick jacket and a beanie.

“No brother sends her sister alone out there.” Was the last thing Seunghoon said before he started the ignition, the car roaring to life.

 

 

 

Hanbin was out for a jog early in the morning when he passed by a familiar car. Who was inside the car was what surprised him when he saw Hayi and Seunghoon turning right on an intersection, getting in the lane towards the train station.

Is Hayi leaving somewhere?

Curious, Hanbin decided to postpone his jogging exercise and walked to the bus stop.

 

 

 

A couple of minutes later, Soohyun was passed out at the back, snoring quietly every now and then. Only soft classical music was playing in the background. The sky was still dark blue and the streets weren’t filled with lots of people, only lighted stores and several cars parked at the side. Hayi couldn’t wait to see her father again after weeks.

“Are you sure you’re fine going there alone?” Seunghoon asked again for the nth time, his tone nothing less than worried. He looked at front, and then Hayi, and then back to the front. “I could come with you if you want to.”

Hayi chuckled, shaking her head. “I’m fine,” she answered (again for the nth time). “I’ve done this before. And you can’t come since I’m staying there for one night.”

“Where would you spend the night?”

“At our old apartment,” Hayi said confidently. “The landlady knows me very well so she’ll let me stay.”

“I’m just worried that someone might get into your house or something. And you’re a girl.”

Hayi laughed softly. “Thank you for worrying about me but it’s okay. I can handle it. My Dad taught me self-defense when I was very young and I still remember how to do it.”

“Well, if you say so.”

“The only thing you have to worry about is Soohyun,” Hayi asserted, slightly turning around to watch Soohyun at the back, only to find her completely passed out. “I think she didn’t get any sleep. She was the one who woke me up earlier this morning.”

“Nah, she’ll be fine,” Seunghoon stated, looking at Soohyun from the rearview mirror. “She’s not the one going somewhere far away alone for one night and two days.”

Hayi chuckled. “You’re really not going to let that go, are you? I’m fine, oppa.”

“You could’ve asked someone to come with you.” Seunghoon sighed, glancing at the side mirror. “Your friend Joy or Jennie maybe.”

Speaking of Joy…

“I prefer to go alone,” Hayi said, shaking her head. “By the way, do you have a girlfriend?”

Seunghoon burst out laughing, only to die down quickly when he realized Soohyun was at the back sleeping. “I wish I had but no. Why do you ask?”

“Don’t you like anyone?”

Seunghoon pursed his lips. “I do like someone.”

“Who is it?”

He chuckled. “Why are you curious?”

“Because I know someone who likes you very much,” she explained, toying with her fingers. “And I would like to see if she has a chance with you.”

Seunghoon grinned. “Who? I didn’t think anyone would like me.”

“Are you serious? Please, you’re probably more decent than half the guys of that school.”

“Well, thank you very much.”

“Don’t let that get into your big head. I still want to know who you like.”

Seunghoon sighed thoughtfully, patting the steering wheel, as he stared ahead. “Well… it’s… you know her. She’s pretty popular. I bet you’d be surprised once you find out who it is. I’ve liked her since middle school and she’s really beautiful. But, I don’t know, she might come off as mean and aloof to others. To me though, she’s… really nice and… friendly.”

No way… Seolhyun? She comes off as mean to others.

“I think you’ve said the word ‘really’ like a thousand times already.”

“Because I don’t know how to describe her!” He laughed.

“Okay then, just tell me.”

Waiting patiently, Hayi kept her eyes on Seunghoon as she waited for the ultimate revelation.

He inhaled deeply. “It’s…” Seolhyun. No. You can’t. You— “Krystal.”

“What?”

“What?”

What?

“Krystal?” Hayi repeated flatly. “As in Jongin’s girlfriend Krystal? Or are there any other Krystals in school?”

“Krystal as in Jongin’s girlfriend Krystal.”

Hayi gasped. “Oh, dear.”

“Don’t remind me.” Seunghoon heaved out a weary sigh. “All my friends know about it and they think I’m insane. They think Krystal’s a nasty just like Seolhyun but I don’t think so. I’ve known Krystal since she was a new student during middle school and she’s really nice. Apparently, being Jongin’s girlfriend makes her a .”

“Uh, wow.”

“I know. It’s hard to believe.”

“No, it’s… it’s not that,” Hayi stammered, laughing to herself because wow she actually thought Seunghoon would like someone as brutal as Seolhyun. “I just thought you like Seolhyun.”

Seunghoon snorted, shaking his head in disbelief. “Why would I even like that monster? She made my life hell back when I was in 8th grade.” He turned left at the intersection. “I was even surprised she didn’t throw a fit when her fraternal twin dated Krystal. Seolhyun used to think of her as a threat.”

“A threat to what?”

“To her throne,” he answered. “You see, it’s what all that mattered for Seolhyun: the throne. Her popularity matters to her so much that if anyone would even try to overthrow her, she was going to make their life miserable. Even if it means she has to use dirty ways.”

“Wow. That’s really scary.”

“I know. What I don’t understand is how everyone wants to be her friends.”

“Being friends with someone as popular as Seolhyun would probably make anyone feel really special.”

“I can’t even imagine how Krystal’s going through nowadays,” Seunghoon said anxiously, glancing at the side mirror. “Dating an and being in the same group with that ’s fraternal twin who’s allergic to any human emotion and dines on people’s misery.”

Hayi laughed. “Or maybe you’re just heartbroken because she chose Jongin over you.”

“I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if she chose Jongin. After all, he’s better than me in many ways.”

“Please.” Hayi scoffed. “I bet he can’t even last two quarters in a basketball game.”

“He can’t. Not even one.” Seunghoon smirked. “Played with him once and the boy’s just… I don’t know. The only that mattered to me at that moment was Krystal looking at me. I blushed like crazy. Good thing she couldn’t see me all red and shy.”

Hayi laughed. “You’re crazy.

“For Krystal.”

“Gross.”

Perhaps, Joy didn’t really stand a chance after all.

 

 

 

“Are you really going to be okay?”

If Hayi had successfully stopped Seunghoon from asking over and over again, then maybe she had to try with Soohyun this time. Having someone to worry about her was nice, it felt nice, but having to answer the same question frequently made it a little harder to appreciate.

After arrived at the train station, Seunghoon woke Soohyun up so they could accompany Hayi to the platform where she’d have to wait for her train. And so they could say their goodbyes.

“So I guess I’ll see you guys on Sunday night,” Hayi concluded awkwardly, nodding her head. Though she was used to leaving and visiting her father’s grave alone, she wasn’t used to saying goodbyes to them. It felt foreign.

“Yeah. Don’t hesitate to call us when you need anything,” Seunghoon offered, patting Hayi on her shoulder.

Hayi smiled. “Sure. See you guys around.”

Luckily, the train arrived just a minute later, saving Hayi from the uncomfortable exchange of goodbyes because if the train would have taken a little longer to arrive, she wouldn’t know what to tell them. Was she supposed to say good luck or goodbye forever? That she didn’t know.

When she boarded the train, she immediately looked for the cosiest seat possible and one near the window. She preferred to sit alone, without anyone sitting next to her, because by then she’d be obliged to carry on a small conversation when she would rather listen to music and sleep.

She glanced at the window and saw Seunghoon and Soohyun standing at the platform, their faces still coated with concern and hesitation. Hayi knew the two siblings were reluctant to see her travel alone, and if truth be told, Hayi was quite flattered about it. She actually felt like they cared. But they didn’t need to bother themselves to worry, she thought as she waved at them.

And then, it was time to go.

I can’t wait to see you again, Dad.

 

 

 

“Is this seat taken?”

Hayi was deeply engrossed by her trip down to memory lane with her father when she was shot back to reality by a voice coming out of nowhere. Turning around, Hayi’s eyes widened like saucers when she saw Kim Hanbin grinning down and standing in front of her. What the hell is he doing here?

Of course, Hayi couldn’t respond right away. She was absolutely shocked to see Kim Hanbin on the same train as she was. Hundreds of thoughts crossed right inside her head, thoughts that could be possible reasons of why she and Hanbin ended up in the same place. She didn’t recall Hanbin telling her anything about leaving, too.

Without waiting for an answer, Hanbin helped himself and sat down right next to Hayi with an amused and proud smile on his face.

“What are you doing here?” Hayi blurted out, still surprised.

“I saw you leaving,” Hanbin answered casually, adjusting to a more comfortable position before grabbing a newspaper from the table in front of him. “And I don’t remember you telling me about it so I followed you.”

“You… followed me?”

“Yes. That’s what I just said, right?”

Hayi frowned. “But why?”

“I wanted to,” said Hanbin coolly, putting his feet up on the table. “Besides, there’s nothing to do at home on a Saturday.”

“Look, I think you got this all wrong,” Hayi explained slowly, turning more to the side so she could see Hanbin clearly. “I’m not going back to Gangnam until Sunday night.”

“Why?”

“Because… I have something to attend to.”

“What is it? Is it important?”

“Look, what’s with the 20 questions?”

Hanbin shot her a crooked smile. “You were fine answering them earlier.”

(Somersaults. Flips.)

Hayi groaned, rolling her eyes. “Look, I think you’re lost. You have to go home, Hanbin. You can’t just follow me here. I’m going back to my hometown. I need to visit someone important. And I will be staying there until tomorrow night and you? You will go home.”

Blinking, Hanbin pursed his lips as if to think. “Wait… is it your Dad?”

“How did you know?” Hayi grimaced.

“You would never have wasted your time visiting someone if he or she wasn’t that important.”

“Okay. Well, now you got your answer, will you please go home?” Hayi didn’t mean to sound rude but this event was rather important, and she liked it better if she was alone.

“Now that’s rude,” Hanbin joked, shooting her a casual smile. “I’m sorry but I don’t think I can go home right now. The train’s already half way out of Gangnam.”

“You think?”

“What are you so worried about?”

“I don’t think two teengars living in one broken apartment is a good picture. People will think.”

“And since when were you worried about what others think?”

True but… Hayi frowned.

No way. Okay, this should not be happening. This cannot be happening. Not only does Hanbin get to meet Hayi’s father, but Hanbin would have to spend a night with Hayi at their old apartment if he persists on coming. She was in a state of panic.

Nearly thirty minutes later, the newspaper Hanbin was reading earlier was now on his lap while Hanbin was fast asleep on the cozy seat. His head was lolling back and forth, and Hayi couldn’t help but think he was (sort of) cute with his eyes closed and his mouth slightly open.

But finding Hanbin cute was the least of her problems. Here was a crazy boy who suddenly thought of following her back to her hometown and meeting her Dad—what would her father think of this? Would he laugh at her? Or would he disapprove of such action?

Strangely, she could imagine her father shaking his head in disbelief and laughing. Her father was the type of man who teases people a lot, who likes to make the most out of things by just being happy.

And knowing Hanbin, Hayi was almost certain he wasn’t going back to Gangnam even if she attempts to call anyone from his house to drag him back. Hanbin was stubborn, so would she have to let him stay with her for two days then? What would the people think of them?

Then, she chided herself for even thinking about that. Back when her father was alive, he would tell her not to give a damn about what other people thinks because they never matter. Their opinions don’t matter. It’s her life to begin with so, like her father said, she shouldn’t let them get to her.

So should I let him come with me?

Just then, she felt a little push on her shoulder. She turned and looked, only to find the great Kim Hanbin sound asleep and using her shoulder as his new pillow.

Well, there’s no turning back.

 

 

 

Hanbin woke up to the sound of people chattering and walking around, groaning in disappointment after his peaceful nap was suddenly disrupted by outside noises. He did like his current position, leaning against a soft, fluffy and comfortable pill—

Only it wasn’t a pillow. It was Hayi’s arm and just like he was two minutes ago, she was sleeping like a baby. A cute baby, he thought, amused, as he stared at her. Surely, Hayi would’ve noticed the fact that he slept on her but she didn’t bother pushing him away. That must be something, right?

Thinking she’d still be asleep, Hanbin took the opportunity to back to his previous position and lean his head against Hayi’s—

“Where are we?”

Hayi woke up all of a sudden, groaning and stretching her arms and legs as she glanced around to check where they were. On the other hand, Hanbin broke in cold sweat after almost getting caught and quickly distanced himself against her, his eyes looking anywhere but hers. He hoped she doesn’t notice his ears turning red and hot.

He chuckled nervously. “I have no idea.”

Hayi studied him curiously, her eyebrows furrowed. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Oh, uh… nothing! Just woke up.”

“Okay. Whatever.”

Hanbin watched her stand up and glanced around for a little bit, and he noticed how totally cute her cheeks were. He wanted to squish the life out of him and kiss—woah, easy there fella. What are you even talking about?

“I think this is our stop.”

“Okay.”

“Here let me carry your bag.”

Hayi chuckled. “It’s okay. It’s not that heavy,” she said as they joined a sea of people going towards the exit. “You don’t have to worry about anything but yourself.”

“Why?” Hanbin asked, almost tripping on the floor if he didn’t have quick reflexes. The train had gotten crowded before they even noticed it.

“I’ve got clothes and enough money for two days. What about you?”

“I can live with eating ramyun once a day!” Hanbin boasted but Hayi didn’t look convinced.

Hayi sighed hopelessly and rolled her eyes, oblivious to the growing commotion inside the boy’s chest. “Never mind.”


to everyone who's been there with me so far and to new readers, i am entirely grateful!!! and to those who spared some time to comment, i am even more grateful!!! knowing how you feel about my story makes me think about how i'm doing with it so thank you guys! hope you drop some comments again mwa xx