chapter five

Long Way Home

On their way back to the room, Hayi told the rest of the girls she’d stop by the comfort room and to go ahead without her.

Lunch had been satisfyingly good. There were no casualties; only relevant information had been given. The school’s cafeteria, to her surprise, served extremely delicious food. Typical school cafeteria food had always been yuck.

She washed her hands and watched herself in the mirror. Taking a deep breath, she turned around to go back to class.

At least until she managed to crash herself into something hard.

“Sorry!” Hayi squeaked at the same time a voice grumbled, “Sorry.”

Fortunately, it wasn’t Jongin. After taking a good look at him back in the cafeteria, Hayi decided it’d be best to avoid trouble on the first day of school. She made a mental note to avoid fraternal twins Jongin and Seolhyun. The guy she had bumped into was different. Good-looking though.

He looked young but Hayi’s never seen him in her class so she could be wrong.

“It’s okay,” said the guy. “It’s my fault for not looking.”

“What would you be doing outside a girl’s comfort room?”

He raised his eyebrows. “I was just passing by.”

“Cool. Would’ve reported you immediately if you didn’t say.”

He gave her a look of disbelief.

Hayi shrugged. “What—I was just saying. Maybe you were a ert. We never know.” Fixing her skirt, she heaved a sigh. “I have to go. Class starts in a few. Sorry for bumping into you again.”

“It’s alright,” was the last thing he said before turning around and walking away.

Taking a few steps, Hayi wheeled around and stared at the guy’s back. She was confused—where would he be going? The rooms were at the opposite direction. Thinking he was skipping classes, Hayi ran after the guy. She placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, the classes are that way.”

He stared at her, startled. “Yeah, I know.”

“But you’re going that way.”

“I think it’s none of your business.”

Hayi hated to admit but the guy was right. It was none of her business so why was she being nosey? She slowly withdrew her hand from his shoulder. “You’re right. It’s none of my business. I just thought that maybe you can skip skipping classes for today since it’s the first day.” She shrugged. “I don’t know. Just a thought.”

Confusion colored the guy’s face. He continued to stare at her.

“Sorry. Bye.”

And with that, Hayi left and sprinted for her first class in the afternoon period.

 

 

 

“Would you believe me,” Kim Hanbin said, his tone nothing less than amused as he studied the music sheets laid down on the table, “if I told you some girl thought I was a ert?” He leaned against the chair to rest his back while his mind wandered off on its own, somehow heading back to the girl he met from earlier.

Bobby Kim was the first to react as usual. They were at an empty music studio, which held classes every afternoon right after regular classes are over. Filled with a variety of musical instruments and equipment that resembled a professional recording studio, the boys typically skipped classes to stay here.

“For real?” Bobby asked in disbelief, his small slanted eyes smiling in glee. This boy was pretty popular with younger students, especially with his accentuated sharp jaw and charming disposition. He knew his ways around words. “Do you know her?”

Hanbin chuckled with amusement still plastered on his face. “I think if she knew me, she wouldn’t have said it.” Grabbing his bag, he dug for blank papers to start composing lyrics for the melody Bobby and Kim Jinhwan had made.

“How could anyone not know you?” Goo Junhoe, the resident bad boy of year 10, asked in total disbelief. He usually appears mean and distant with his thick eyebrows and fuller lips causing some students to stay away from him; he liked it that way. “You’re basically a Kim.”

“And so are Bobby, Donghyukkie, and Jinhwan hyung,” Song Yunhyeong piped in while scratching his nose irritably. Yunhyeong was one of the good guys and a perfect gentleman to girls.

“That’s not what I mean,” Junhoe grimaced, rolling his eyes emphatically, while both Hanbin and Bobby laughed at him. Junhoe had always been strangely dramatic despite mean-looking.

Yunhyeong laughed and gave Junhoe a repeated pat on his back. “I was kidding. You need to chill.”

Still, how could anyone basically not know you, hyung?” Junhoe wanted to know. Hanbin merely laughed in response.

“So, how’s the song coming along?” Kim Jinhwan, the oldest but the shortest in the group, spoke up after listening to his dongsaengs normally chattering away. He liked to be quiet, reserved and only voices out his opinion when needed.

At the mention of the ‘song’, Hanbin rubbed his face in an exasperated manner and groaned. Only the beginning of it was made with the tune half-finished and lyrics were far from finished, and the concept wasn’t even discussed clearly. Basically, the song had barely even started.

“Hate it to break it to you, hyung, but we kinda need it now,” Junhoe said reluctantly.

“You mean, he”—Yunhyeong pointed at Hanbin—“needs it,” he corrected, letting out a sigh. “We’ve all got different dreams. Let’s face it, guys. Maybe this singing thing is temporary.”

“I know,” Hanbin mumbled, resting his cheek on his palm. “It’s still not coming to me. The motivation. I need more time. I’m basically… uninspired. I can’t think of anything in my head.”

“Let’s not even talk about the future,” Junhoe cried, frowning.

“What do you suggest, Chanwoo-ya?” Bobby asked the maknae, Jung Chanwoo, with an awfully sweet voice that would sound cute—more like a creepy ert in generalfor girls who adore Bobby. The older hyungs had welcomed the youngest warmly even though they rejected the idea of adding more to the group.

Chanwoo offered a sheepish smile, stiffening when Bobby’s arm was on his shoulder. “Anything the hyungs suggest would be fine by me.”

Ey,” Kim Donghyuk, the maknae before Chanwoo arrived, exclaimed in mocking disbelief. “That’s playing safe.”

“Well, unless you can write a good song, your father won’t let you do what you want,” Bobby told Hanbin, giving the latter a pointed look. “You know the deal between you and your father: one good song and you’re free to go. With beneficial support, too.”

“And to get the prize?” Jinhwan added, shooting Hanbin his serious look. “You need to have the song.”

“And I will,” Hanbin said firmly, his eyes firing with determination as he shot everyone in the room a reassuring look.

Despite his rocky relationship with his family, he knew he could count on his friends to be there. It wasn’t much—nine different boys who all have their unique personalities and ambitions tied together.

But it’s family.

 

 

 

“The school has a piano—that’s amazing.”

Few hours later, Hayi was down to her last class for the day. She’s been through typical classes like Maths, Korean History, Calculus and others so she couldn’t wait to get home. Her first day was good, so far. Joy kept her promise and stayed right next to her all throughout the day, informed her of things she needed to know and handed her the list of books and materials she needed to pass for the rest of the semester.

However, her last class wasn’t exactly a class wherein there are official teachers who provide quizzes and homework and projects—maybe there would be projects—but still Hayi figured this was better than any other classes she’s had the previous hours. The last class was meant for extracurricular activities or clubs.

There was a variety of organizations to choose from, with the maximum of three groups for the student to join. Hayi only chose two: music club and the swimming varsity. She discovered Soohyun, Chanhyuk, Joy, Hanna, Jisoo and Jennie were all in the music club, too. At least she knew a couple of people then she wouldn’t feel too lonely.

“Not just one,” Joy corrected, completely enthralled by the piano’s elegant beauty. “The school has three grand pianos provided from the Steinway & Sons Company. This school was originally a school for the arts but the dean figured it could open to more possibilities, to a wider community. Hence, the production of the school now.”

Although there was no official teacher in charge, there were still several instructors who are to guide and teach the students the proper way of making music. The music club was surprisingly large in numbers so the school hired quite a lot of professional musicians to teach, too. The facility used was big, spacious and well-provided with equipment to accommodate the needs.

Hayi sat on the ground, just among the sea of students. At the side, she watched as students were separated in groups according to their musical ability. And among them, she found someone she was so surprised to see.

It was the guy she bumped into earlier outside the girl’s rest room. His eyes were sparked with determination, like he was focused on something.

“…earth to Hayi.”

“Hmm?” Blinking, Hayi realized she’d just spaced.

“I’ve been calling you for like a hundred of times,” Jennie groaned, waving her hands dismissively. “You’re up in a few. What are you staring at?” Following the direction where Hayi was looking, she looked, too. “Oh, my god!”

Hayi raised her eyebrows. “What?”

“Why are you looking at Kim Hanbin?” Jennie wanted to know.

“Oh, so that’s his name,” Hayi stated calmly, nodding her head. “I met him earlier. After lunch. He’s the ert outside the girl’s rest room.”

“Wait, what?” Jennie looked perplexed. “What are you talking about? What do you mean Hanbin is a ert? What happened?”

“I met him outside the girl’s restroom,” Hayi repeated exasperatedly, wondering what the fuss was all about. She was sure this Kim Hanbin didn’t mean anything important, right? “He seemed to be heading somewhere and I tried to stop him. But of course, I failed.”

“Do you know who he is?”

Hayi grimaced. “Um, Kim Hanbin?”

“Do you know who he really is?” Jennie asked impatiently, glancing at Hanbin and then Hayi from time to time. “Oh, right. I forgot you don’t. Joy’s never mentioned him earlier.”

“So, who is he?”

“He’s—”

“Lee Hayi, you’re up next.”

Wow, Hayi thought, amused at the timing of everything. Rest assured it’ll be glued in her mind the entire time she’ll be singing in front of panel. Jennie made it sound like Kim Hanbin was someone important, someone dangerous or someone that’s both. Nevertheless, her curiosity level had reached its peak.

Hayi was instructed to stand in front of a panel of instructors, with a selection of musical instruments at the side and a preoccupied audience waiting for their group reassignment. Nervousness started to creep in. Though the students were all too busy to figure out which group they’re with, Hayi figured some of them could still be watching.

“So, are you ready?”

Hayi nodded and took a deep breath. She wasn’t exactly skilled at piano but it was the only musical instrument she could play. However, the only thing she was extremely confident in was singing so she chose Duffy’s Mercy for the audition.

When the background music started to play, Hayi prepared herself to get into her comfort zone, to get into singing. There were still endless questions inside her head—questions pertaining to Kim Hanbin and another of why the hell was she even bothered in the first place—so she figured a little ‘into the zone’ would do.

She swayed while singing, her eyes meeting the judges’ every now and then. She knew eye contact would be important; it would imply confidence, too, and it’ll probably get her in. Once anyone’s not cut for the audition, she/he would have to join another club. And Hayi didn’t want to be embarrassed by not getting in.

 

 

 

A little restless about the song, Hanbin had been thoroughly preoccupied the entire day. Mixed thoughts of the song’s concept and the girl from earlier, which turned out to be in the music class as well, were making chaos inside his mind. Maybe this time he needed a shrink.

More than 50 students have joined the music club this time, hoping for the next chance to get in after losing their turn during the first semester. Despite the huge number of students, Hanbin was glad to keep everyone else busy so he could think about the song even for just a while.

Jinhwan hyung, Bobby and the others were here, too, only they’re scattered around the place like a pile of leaves. They had their get-togethers mostly after school or when they skip classes, but they do like to disperse themselves when it came to jam-packed places.

His eyes, however, seemed strange. It wasn’t intentional but the last time he checked, Hanbin knew he had control over his sense of sight. But why does he keep on looking at the girl? She’s not even that pretty, Hanbin thought flatly.

Nevertheless, the girl looked awfully attractive—in a way that didn’t compare with other beautiful female students in school but she had her own way of beauty. It didn’t even outshine others, but it still caught his attention. Like there was something about her and he has to know what it was.

Of course—way to be extremely subtle—he mentally reprimanded himself for not even thinking that everyone could’ve seen him gawking at her. For example, her friends who, right now, are staring at him intently, too, with quizzical eyes.

Maybe just one, Hanbin told himself, relieved that it wasn’t the entire group. He readjusted his sitting position to a more comfortable one after one of his leg almost cramping up. The girl had a group of friends who are familiar—Chanhyuk, Soohyun, Jennie, Jisoo, Hanna and one person.

Chanhyuk and Hanbin met through competing against each other since middle school. Having been in the school since almost the beginning, Chanhyuk and Hanbin could be childhood friends if Chanhyuk wasn’t so competitive. They both had something in common: making music. But only one was had to win. Obviously, Hanbin’s family background had more of an advantage and it’s why Chanhyuk hated Hanbin’s guts more than ever.

Maybe you should stop staring, mouthed Jennie Kim from the other side of the room, her eyes twinkling with utmost amusement and sheer curiosity. He knew of her because of Chanwoo; Chanwoo talked about her a lot.

Caught off-guard, Hanbin complied. He could hear the girl’s voice in the back of his head: Maybe you were a ert. We never know.

It was like living up to that name that wasn’t even true in the first place.

 

 

 

“Congratulations!”

Hayi was met with hugs and cheers and laughs as she trudged her way back to where Joy and her friends were. Soohyun and Chanhyuk were there, too, offering her congratulatory smiles. After a brief I’m so proud of you hug from Soohyun, she sat in between Joy and Jennie to take a break. The results would be out in ten minutes, or so the instructor said.

“Look who slayed the audition!” Jennie exclaimed, giving her a proud smile and patting her on the back. “I am officially you’re number one fan.”

Hayi chuckled sheepishly. “You guys were listening?”

“It’s hard not to listen,” Jisoo said with a smile. “I think almost half of the students here were listening, too. You have a really nice voice.”

“Nice? I think it’s amazing!” Soohyun nodded too excitedly. “I think Hyun Suk seonsangnim likes you already. He might recruit you to his team.”

Jennie nudged Hayi on her arm. “I know one person who’s stared at you the entire time.”

Hayi stared at her, confused. “What are you talking about?”

All ears were on Jennie now, each of them burning with curiosity. Hayi, on the other hand, was the most curious. It couldn’t be the person she was thinking, right? The entire time she was singing, there was a small part of her mind that thought about Kim Hanbin.

“Kim Hanbin hasn’t stopped staring at you since you stood on that platform and sang,” Jennie said mischievously, like it was the biggest secret she ever told the group.

Hayi frowned, wondering why Jennie would lie about it. There was no way Kim Hanbin was staring at her, right?

On the other hand, the other girls and Chanhyuk appeared extremely taken aback at the mention of Hanbin’s name. They all looked like they wanted to know why he’d be staring at Hayi (or why would Kim Hanbin bother Hayi unnie in the first place!!—Soohyun wasn’t particularly thrilled, unlike Jennie) or why Hayi would have anything to do with Hanbin.

Jennie held both her hands up. “Chill, guys. That was a mere observation.”

“How are you so sure he was staring at her?” Hanna questioned, shooting Jennie a suspicious look. “He could be staring at anyone.”

“Well, for starters, he’s staring at her right now.”

Maybe Jennie forgot to add don’t look because right after those words escaped , the girls and Chanhyuk all wheeled around to look at Kim Hanbin. It was to prove if Hanbin was actually looking at her right now, and since Hayi was absolutely curious, she involuntarily joined the group to stare at Hanbin back.

Indeed, he was staring at her.

Only this time they all turned around back, looking all flustered as if they had been caught instead of the other way around.

“Oh, my god! Why is Kim Hanbin staring at you!” Joy squealed.

“Why is he staring at you!” Chanhyuk cried, his eyebrows shooting half way up his forehead.

“Unnie, why is he staring at you!” Soohyun said in a brighter, overprotective, curious tone.

“Do you know him?” Jisoo asked, placing both of her hands on Hayi’s shoulder. “Have you met him? Have you two talked to each other? Why is he staring at you?”

Hayi blinked, at lost on what to do with hundreds of questions being shot at her all at the same time. “Wait—I—um—”

“Geez, guys! Stop!” Jennie said exasperatedly, rolling her eyes. “I know you guys are as curious as I am but let’s not forget to give Hayi some little space so she can start explaining.” She motioned at Jisoo and Chanhyuk and Soohyun to back away, giving them a ‘you’re suffocating her’ look.

Hayi looked slightly relieved this time; Jennie tilted her head with a see what I mean look on her face, as if she was proving a point. “She was about to say something, you know. You guys just couldn’t wait.” Jennie gazed at Hayi. “So, you can start explaining.”

Hayi narrowed her eyes. “Why do I feel like I’m being interrogated?”

“Because you are,” Jennie retorted. “Duh.”

“But why?” Hayi arched her eyebrows. “I’m not in the position to tell you about it unless I get a valid reason as to why you guys are determined to know the relationship between us.”

Relationship!” Chanhyuk lamented, scowling. “It’s only been your first day and you’re already in trouble.”

“Wait. What—I’m totally lost,” Hayi said, shaking her head.

“Kim Hanbin isn’t just anyone,” Hanna explained. The others nodded their head in agreement. “Kim Hanbin is Jongin and Seolhyun’s younger brother.”

What? Hayi didn’t see that coming. Are they serious?

“Now you know why they all had explosive reactions,” Jennie remarked, shrugging her shoulders. “Hanbin’s pretty much like his hyung and noona. Although I’ve never seen him do something bad, there have been rumors. It’s not much of a surprise if he breaks the rules or torments anyone.”

“So, how did you two meet?” Joy seemed determined to know.

A little disappointed—and not knowing why, too—Hayi answered, “Well, I found him outside the girl’s rest reoom. Figured he was a ert so I called him one. I even said I’d report him to the dean,” she chuckled, embarrassed. “Turns out it’d be futile. He’s the dean’s son, after all.”

“You didn’t know?” Joy wondered. “Like he didn’t tell you he was the dean’s son?”

Hayi shook her head. “No. That’s why I was surprised. And embarrassed.”

“Uh, I hate to interrupt but the results have been posted,” Chanhyuk declared, pointing at the corner where students are all gathered and excited. “Let’s resume talking about this later.”

The group nodded in agreement. Together, they stood up and walked to where the results were posted. While others were distracted, Hayi caught a glimpse of Kim Hanbin right at the other side of the room.

He was still staring at her.


like i said chap's five where hanbin comes in! hope you guys stay tune for more!