New Faces

Always With You

 -Jessica’s POV-

South Korea is difficult when it comes to the military. There are four different military camps located across the country. One in the North, East, South & West. Because my city is closer to the Southern camp, I have to join that camp. The rule was pretty weird, even for me, but I didn’t mind where I was located, as long as it helped me achieve what I came for.

When I reached the ferry that would take me to the military camp, I started getting butterflies in my stomach, would this really pay off? I said my farewell to my driver because I really would miss him. Even though he was just a worker for my family, he really was always there for me, more so than my own family.

The sky was so clear today and the smooth breeze of the wind blew my long brown hair off my cheeks. I wasn’t the most attractive person; you could say I was more of an ordinary person. Long dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, fair skin, nothing too special, just a normal Korean girl. Even though, Krystal was my twin, she didn’t really look much like me. She even dyed her hair red, just so she would share any similar traits with me, yeah, that’s how much she hated me.

These thoughts always flooded my mind, my family, my weaknesses, my failures, I was too negative. But, can you really blame me? I wasn’t given the same love like any other normal child would. I was left to myself from a young age; you could say I was orphaned even with a family.

I was so occupied with my thoughts, I didn’t seem to realize that the ferry had stopped and I had to get off. I could see some very excited people, probably close to my age jumping off the ferry. I wish I was like that. I should be showing off my excitement too, but, why can’t I?

When I boarded off the ferry, I took a taxi to the military camp. This island was very beautiful, I hadn’t been to many places in Korea, but this has to be just my favourite place. There were so many different types of plants and unlike my home, this place was so lively. Even the air smelled good, I wish I could stay here forever. It really made me feel at peace. I closed my eyes as my window was rolled down and I enjoyed this moment.

It wasn’t until the driver told me that we were at my destination that I came back to my senses. I paid him and exited the taxi. The camp was splendid, indeed. The entrance had a board that said “Southern Military Camp”… it seemed I was at the right place.

My hands got sweaty, ugh… not now. Don’t get nervous. It’ll be okay, neh?

I took steps into the huge line up where I would have to show my id and registration card. Only those who have applied beforehand can enter. Luckily I was one of those people. There were some people who seemed to have to go back because they didn’t apply before, and it really disheartened me when I saw their faces. I didn’t even want to know how they felt right now, if that were me in that position, I don’t know what I’d do.

What felt like years, it was finally my turn. I tried to keep my gaze away from the person. You see, I usually can’t look at people in the eyes and talk; I get way too nervous. So, I stared at the ground as I gave him my id, and when he stamped it and told me I was able to go, I was so relived.

“T-Thank you, s-sir.” I thanked him and went through the huge gates that were actually my gates to my new life.

 

***

 

There were a bunch of people at this place. I don’t know how many, but I kept bumping into people. I tried to say sorry, but they would stare at me as if I was a girl who got lost in the crowd.

I tried looking around the place, but I wasn’t so tall, and it was hard to look past the heads of these people. Most of the people seemed to be looking for their rooms. At the desk, everyone got their room numbers, where they would be staying and we also got a bunch of instructions and timetables. My room number was #930. That seemed to be on the other side of where I was now.

According to the map, I was at the East entrance and my room was near the south entrance. Okay, so that would mean I had to walk a little more. In the crowd unfamiliar faces, I got myself stuck in between a bunch of girls who seemed to screaming over something, or should I say someone…

As I tried to get past them, I saw that person coming a little closer to the girls, probably trying to play them? As I saw a small glance of his face, I had to admit he was really attractive. The girls must be screaming over his looks… he had short black hair and a very strong built. He wore a plain white shirt with a leather jacket over and blue jean, while carrying a duffle bag which probably has his belongings in. He also looked about the same age as me…

When I realized I was standing there like a babo, I tried to flee from there soon as I found an opening in the crowd, but then I heard a very screeching and feminine voice, dominating all those other girly screams.

“SIWON-OPPA!” Yeah, that’s what she said. Siwon? Must be the name of this boy. As I watched him turn his head towards the voice, I followed his gaze as well as all the other girls in the crowd.

The girl I saw was really pretty. I was amazed by her beauty, and I knew everyone else was as well. Everyone around me probably had the same question as me. Why would someone as beautiful as her be here? If she wanted, she could be a model. Was she here to join the military? Or was she just here to see Siwon-sshi off?

When she walked closer to Siwon-sshi, I could see how beautifully her silky brunette hair flew behind her. She wore something very similar to what Siwon-sshi was wearing, except she still looked very feminine in it.

“Siwon-Oppa, where did you go? Fishy-Oppa and I were looking for you!” The girl spoke to him leaving all the girls around me staring with such jealousy. When the atmosphere around me seemed to quiet down, I took this opportunity to leave the place as fast as I could. Not looking behind me, because I really did not want to see what would happen next with Siwon-sshi, that mysteriously beautiful girl and all those other “fan girls”

As I ran away from the heated crowd, I found myself in front of the little building where my room must be in. The building was surrounded by a bunch of other little buildings which was also consisted of rooms for the trainees like me I assumed.

I had to walk up the stairs a bit before I finally got to the porch where my room was located. When I got to my door, I got my key out, unlocked the door and I found myself in the very small room. It was dark so I opened the light and I found two beds separated by a single night stand. So, I guess I would be sharing my room with someone?

After I put all my things down, I decided to take a quick shower and change into my training uniform; which was a pretty average looking military suit, for the commencement that would take place in a couple of hours.

The shower felt so good, I could actually feel the sweat on my body flowing away. When I got changed into my uniform (which fit me nicely), and came out of the shower, I saw a girl unpacking her things near the bed she had chosen. My eyes widened when I realized who this girls was.

When she looked up to see me, her face lit up to a smile. I blushed at her sudden reaction, this was the first time someone looked at me like that and I felt embarrassed.

 She got up and came in front of me and stretched her hand out. “Annyeong, my name is Im Yoona. You must be my roommate.”

Her way of speaking was so polite, like a graceful princess. I then also extended my hand out to shake hers. I led my eyes to the floor as I started to speak.

“A-Annyeong, i-it’s nice to meet you. M-My name is J-Jessica J-Jung.”

My words came out really pitiful and I could tell by the corner of my eye that her facial expression had changed. When I brought my eyes back up to her face, she let go of my hand and gave me a confused look.

“There’s no need to be nervous Jessica. I’m only your roommate, not some evil witch.” She told me, and I felt really bad now. I didn’t think of her as a witch, but how could I tell her that I have speech problems and I’m terrified of socializing with people.

“S-Sorry…” I told her, but it was barely audible.

With that, she gave me another strange look and went back to unpacking her things. I could tell that this was going to be very hard. Yoona-sshi and I barely knew each other and we were already on awkward terms.

“Anyways, Jessica… the commencement starts soon. Do you mind helping me pick out a nice outfit?” Her question surprised me. Didn’t she know that the standard uniform was what was expected to be worn?

“Y-Yoona-sshi, I h-hope you d-don’t mind, but-but, we are expected to wear the uniform that was given to u-us.” I stuttered to her, hoping she wouldn’t get upset.

“Bwoh? Really? But, I can’t wear that on a special occasion. Geez, don’t these people know that a girl has needs?!” She replied with a surprised expression.

“Neh, I guess I have no other choice then.” She said again and went through a pile of clothes and got her uniform that was exactly like mine and went to the bathroom behind me.

Yoona-sshi was really something else. So bold, yet elegant. I smiled when I realized that she was someone I really wanted to be like.

 

***

 

Since there was still some time before the ceremony, I decided to walk around the base a bit. The base felt like a little town, it really was huge; actually I think this base covered almost 30% of the island. There weren’t as many people around like before; they were probably getting ready for the ceremony. I saw a couple people walk towards one of the training field, which was really big. There was a track and even a lot of training obstacles.

As I walked past by it, I decided to sit under a tree that was close to a bunch of different types of flowers. I really loved flowers; I even grew some in our garden back at home. As I stared at the flowers, I started smelling smoke coming from behind the tree I as leaning on. I looked behind me to see what or who it was.

I was right; it was smoke, smoke from a cigarette. I looked up to see the person smoking it and it was a man not too older than me, probably around 19 or 20? His hair was jet black with a little pony tail at the back. He had a very feminine face, almost pretty? He wore the same military suit as me, but his eyes were glued at the sky. I didn’t know why, but when I looked at him, I saw his expression was very similar to mine. Like, I was able to read his face and understand what was going through his mind.

“I apologize. You were here first.” He said in his deep voice; which really didn’t match his face, while his eyes were still up at the sky. Was he talking to me? Sorry? For what?

“A-Aniya, I don’t mind, I was leaving a-anyway.” I lied, but I didn’t want him to feel bad. As I got ready to leave I heard his voice again.

“The name’s Heechul.” He introduced himself; again he didn’t even look at me.

“I-I’m J-Jessica…” I introduced myself along with my uncontrollable stutter.

When I realized that he hadn’t said anything back to me, I raised my face to look up at him, but I was faced with nothing but the tree trunk. Where did he go?

I was confused with what just happened, but since the ceremony was just in a few minutes, I decided to let it go and make my way to the commencement. I was hoping nothing more would happen. This place seemed less like a military and more like an amusement park.

My destination was near, I saw many people in the same uniform as me walking in straight lines to the field near the training grounds. I quickly found a place in one of the lines and stood there trying to put on a confident like all the others around me. But, that was really hard considering I was really nervous right now.

When everyone was quiet and a man in his 50’s wearing a military uniform that wasn’t really similar to ours came out and stood on a platform holding a mic in his right hand, my expression turned from unconfident to really unconfident. Ugh, I didn’t like this. I was around about hundreds of people; I couldn’t show uncertainty right now.

When the man who is actually the general spoke, I listened really attentively. He started out telling us who he was and some information about the military. Along with some of the everyday procedures we would have to go through. But, then he said something that shocked me and a lot of other people.

“After six months of training, each one of you will be tested. Only those who pass the test will be chosen to be part of the Military.”

I could hear some whispers and mummers from people. But, those words kept replaying through my head. I really thought that I could do this, but what?

My thoughts were interrupted when the general spoke again.

“Tomorrow your training will start. Meet back here at 6:30 AM and you will be assigned your divisions, where you will be trained and burned to sweat. You’re dismissed.”

With that he raised his hands against his forehead, sort of like a salute sign and everyone around me did the same, so I did as well. When everyone started to dispatch, I just stood there. What he said had really gotten to me and now that little confidence I had in me, was slowly fading away too.

I think I stood there for about 15 minutes, just staring at the grass. No one was around me and I knew I probably looked really weird, but I didn’t care right now.

After another five minutes, I decided to go back to my room. On my way, I wasn’t really paying attention to my surroundings and my body hit something that sent me tumbling down to the ground.

The something that I hit was actually a someone and I saw that he had also fell on the ground like me. I got up quickly and felt really bad.

“M-Mianhae…” I sincerely said. I tried to offer my hand over to the man, but he had gotten up already. He faced me, looking straight into my eyes and this really made me uncomfortable. I shifted my gaze to the ground and I could feel my cheeks heating.

Then he did something that really shocked me. He raised his left hand and pressed it against my forehead. My eyes widened at his sudden action, but I was frozen at my spot like an ice cube.


A/N: Here you go guys, please comment and tell me your thoughts. :)