Chapter 6

Leaning is Strength

Hello, Dear Readers!

I apologize that it's taken me so long to update. But, finally, here it is.

 


 

Chapter 6

 

"We haven't left anything behind, have we?" JinYoung asked surveying the gym one last time.

"No, I don't see anything."

JinYoung and Mark had put everything back exactly the way they remember having seen it. The top mat had been hanging slightly over the stack and they made sure that it was in the same position. There could be no trace left that anyone had been there, or they would be sure to be discovered.

"Then, let's go," JinYoung said leading the way out of the gym.

They walked quickly but carefully through the empty halls, doing their utmost not to make a sound. Though, that was hard with the wheels on their luggage rolling along the floor.

"If there was a place where we could store our things, without having to move them, that would make everything safer," JinYoung remarked. But he couldn't think of a place in the school where no one ever went. So they had no choice but to take their things with them to whatever hiding places they would be using.

This presented them with a dilemma. There were four specific places where JinYoung was relatively sure no one came during the day, but some of those hiding places became more or less reliable depending on whether one hid there before or after the lunch period.

The most protected was a rear storage room at the back of the library which was particularly safe during the first half of the day and most notably, entirely on Mondays. No one had ever caught JinYoung there, but he knew for a fact that the shelves were regularly inspected and books were taken away to store and some taken from storage to add to or replace others. Just how regularly, though, he wasn't sure, he had only noted that it wasn't done during the first periods of school or on Mondays. However, although that hiding place had sufficed as a temporary refuge from the searching eyes of bullies, it didn't afford much in the way of long-term security, so staying there for more than one half to one day was impossible.

The second place under consideration was the files archive. People did enter that area occasionally, but way in the back, there were blind areas that, if they kept down they certainly wouldn't be spotted. It would be dark, but it was a lot safer as a hiding place.

The final places were two cleaning closets. The cleaning staff typically started cleaning and maintenance working steadily and reliably from one end of the school to the other. Their schedule never deviated except if there was some sort of emergency like something breaking, or some other unforeseen circumstance like someone being sick somewhere, that would make them have to double back.

 

During classes, the roof was usually empty as well, but it afforded no real cover in case anyone should decide to look there. And if they jammed the doorway as they had once before, they would be sure to be discovered by anyone who was looking for them.

 

JinYoung's mind was swirling with all these thoughts as they stopped by a bathroom. They would be holed up for who knew how long, so they had to take any opportunity they could to use toilet facilities. After they'd finished washing their faces, necks and hands and cleaning their teeth, they set about wiping out the sinks and storing the used paper towels in their jackets: they couldn't leave even the smallest clue that anything had been recently used.

Once they were clean, fresh and emptied, they hurried along the corridor and through the library to the storage area. JinYoung had decided that that would be the best hiding place for the day, since it was Monday it would be their best bet.

 

JinYoung guided Mark to the back left corner of the storage area. It was a little dark, but it was dry and once they'd laid their things out, it wasn't too uncomfortable.

"Let's have breakfast," JinYoung suggested and both boys unpacked some of the food they'd taken from Mrs Lee's kitchen.

But just as they were about to open the containers, Mark realized something.

"JinYoung, if we open these here, won't people be able to smell it?"

Mark had a point.

"You're right. But then, how are we going to eat breakfast?"

"Is there a way we can get to the roof from here and then back again without being seen?" Mark asked.

JinYoung looked around. As far as he knew, they would have to traverse a hallway to get there. It actually wasn't that far away, but by this time, they would risk being seen. As he was considering their options, Mark was busy scanning the room.

"How about through there? Do you know what that leads to?" Mark asked pointing upward.

There was only a panel. It blended in very well with the rest of the ceiling tiles, but there was one difference: it was framed. How had Mark even spotted it?

"No, I don't," JinYoung admitted.

"I can take a look," Mark offered. And before JinYoung could stop him, he had already started climbing up the empty shelving to the opening. He was able to remove the panel rather easily, then he swung his body lithely upward and entered the unknown.

JinYoung chewed his lip worriedly. He was supposed to be taking care of Mark and now . . . what if something dangerous was up there? Or worse, what if it couldn't hold his weight and he came crashing down?

As the minutes ticked by and Mark hadn't reappeared, JinYoung began to get more anxious.

But just as he couldn't stand it anymore and was about to call to him, Mark's head appeared through the opening. He was smiling.

"It's okay. It's some sort of crawlspace. It leads to a kind of attic. It doesn't look as though anyone has used it for a long time. It's low, but I think it'll be safe," he said.

JinYoung looked at Mark and smiled. Here he was supposed to be leading the expedition and Mark was the one who had discovered the best hiding place of all.

JinYoung packed their things together quickly and after some strain and effort, was able to pass their bags up to Mark.

But then, finally, it was his turn.

Mark had made getting up there look so easy, but JinYoung soon found out that it wasn't.

"Give me your hand," Mark said, extending himself dangerously.

"Mark, don't do that, you're going to fall!" JinYoung warned.

"I won't. Just give me your hand," he said. "Trust me."

Then JinYoung reached out and Mark grasped his forearm firmly. "Now let go of the shelf and grab onto the opening."

That sounded easy, but to be honest, JinYoung was scared.

Mark looked at him and said unwaveringly, "Don't be scared. I've got you."

JinYoung looked into his eyes and heard the surety in his voice.

And trusted him.

It was one of the scariest things he'd ever done, but by following Mark's instructions exactly, he was soon next to him, above the library storage. Mark replaced the panel and then whispered to JinYoung, "follow me."

After a minute or two of crawling along narrow supportive strips, avoiding the thin tiles that made up the ceiling of the rooms below, JinYoung's eyes were greeted with the sight of an attic-like space. Much of it was very low where they could only sit cross-legged, or stretch out and lie down. but there was a small area further in that was high enough for them could stand up completely straight in it. There was plenty of space and it was surprisingly warm in comparison to the gym. There was also natural light streaming in through a few small windows.

It had the look of somewhere no one had been in for a long time.

"As long as we keep quiet, I think that we can stay here undetected," Mark observed as he looked around.

JinYoung just stared at Mark in quiet awe. He had found the perfect spot for them to hide for as long as they needed to. He had provided for them. The tables had turned. Now, in this situation, he was taking care of JinYoung.

"Mark-Hyung, you're amazing," JinYoung said quietly.

He felt something that he had been feeling around Mark for a while now and that feeling had reached its zenith on the night when Mark reached out and kissed his hand. He knew that he loved Mark: he was his best friend. Loving your best friend was normal, wasn't it? He knew that he wanted him to be happy and to do well. That was what best friends wanted for each other and that was love. But now, as he sat transfixed as he watched Mark bent over his work of unpacking their things, he noticed that he felt something else . . .

But, did Mark feel it, too? Is that why he'd kissed his hand that night?

JinYoung closed his eyes and could still see how Mark's head leaned forward as he pressed that kiss against his hand. He recalled Mark's closed eyes and the look on his face: as though he was transferring some deep feeling to JinYoung.

The memory made JinYoung feel something deeper and more exciting than he had ever felt before. Just weeks ago when he and Mark had started becoming close friends, he hadn't had that feeling.

But he had it now. The question was: what to do about it?

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

Finally, they could start their breakfast and now that they could eat in peace, they ate with relish. The anxiety they felt upon waking and looking for a safe hiding place must have boosted their appetite, because the food that Mrs Lee had ordinarily made for them suddenly transformed into the most delicious they'd ever tasted. But they were careful to eat relatively little savouring every bite and chewing slowly and deliberately in an attempt not to finish everything all at once. They wouldn't be able to just leave at any time to replenish their supplies, but that wasn't the only problem they were facing. Even though this attic space afforded them much more in the way of comfort and safety than they had expected to find, there were no toilet facilities there. So, they ate little, willing their bodies not to activate and only took sparing sips of the water they'd brought along.

 

Once they'd satisfied their hunger and thirst, they decided to sleep. They had had precious few hours of sleep and now that they were safely squirreled away in a secure space, their tiredness swiftly returned.

 

Again, they made pillows of their clothes and shared their blankets, even though it was warm enough in the attic to make sharing their blankets unnecessary. They laid down on their sides facing each other.

Mark looked at JinYoung's face as his eyes closed. As the look of relaxation spread across his features, Mark found himself once again being captivated. He was so enthralled by him, he started, very slowly to reach out towards him. He just wanted to touch his face. Just for a moment. But, just then . . .

. . . you're disgusting! . . . Don't you see what he is? That's what you call a son? Why do you even bother feeding a thing like him? So that he can grow up to add one more ert to this world? . .  .

 . . . please . . . don't . . .

 . . . disgusting . . .

He pulled back his hand as though he had touched something hot.

Then he shut his eyes tight in an effort to close out the words that were reverberating through his head.

. . . disgusting . . . sick little ****** . . .

He choked back a sob in his throat.

JinYoung was drifting off to sleep, but he heard the small sound.

"Mark . . . Mark . . . " he called, sliding towards him. "Mark, come here . . . come lay here," he said extending his arm.

Mark was afraid to move. He was afraid of how much he felt for JinYoung. It felt so good, but at the same time, it scared him that he might be . . .

JinYoung saw his reluctance and moved towards him.

"It's okay," he said softly. "I want us to sleep like we did last night. I got such a good night's sleep when I we slept like that. . . . Don't you want to?"

Mark lifted his eyes to look into JinYoung's. His face was so kind and open.

He wouldn't want to if he knew how I felt . . . he would think I was disgusting . . . he would run away and never want to be friends with me again . . .

"If you won't come to me, then I'll come to you," JinYoung smiled. "That's alright, isn't it?"

Mark nodded slowly.

JinYoung's smile broadened as he moved closer taking Mark into his arms.

"That's better now, isn't it?" JinYoung said as he pressed Mark's head into the crook of his arm. "It feels so good laying together like this," he breathed out.

Mark's body was heating up like crazy. JinYoung felt so good . . . he smelled so good . . . he remembered the dream he had last night and it made his imagination run wild.

But it's wrong . . . it's wrong . . .

"Mark," JinYoung called softly.

"Yes."

"Can I  . . . I know it'll sound weird but . . . remember when you kissed my hand that time?

"Yes," Mark answered in a small voice.

He thought it was disgusting . . .  he knows . . . he thinks I'm dirty . . . Mark thought fearfully.

"Well,  . . . I  . . . can I . . . I mean could I . . . kiss you?"

Mark felt his temperature spike at the words. His heart felt like it started to pound in a different rhythm altogether. His hands, face and hands felt suddenly hot and tight. When he lifted his head and saw JinYoung looking at him with soft, liquid eyes he felt his chest begin to tighten. Everything felt so painful and yet so wonderful at the same time as he felt the blood course through his body. He couldn't answer JinYoung with words, they hitched in his throat; but he relaxed his head against JinYoung's arm and closed his eyes, tilting his face upwards towards JinYoung's.

The next thing he felt was JinYoung's breath against his cheek, just before his lips caressed Mark's softly pressing closer and closer.

Mark felt like his heart was about to burst. JinYoung was kissing him. Not on the cheek or on the forehead . . . he was kissing him on the lips!

How had this happened? How had JinYoung suddenly gone from being his best friend to . . .

 

All sorts of feelings were swirling around inside Mark. Shock . . . desire . . . want . . .  disbelief . . . need . . . hope . . .  fear . . . everything was all jumbled together as JinYoung's lips moved over his, and his hand moved to Mark's neck, pressing him closer, inviting him to kiss him back.

Mark had to. The taste and feel of JinYoung's mouth was too sweet. He slipped an arm around JinYoung's neck and one around his waist as he felt an irresistible craving wash over him. As their lips danced against each other, sometimes more lightly, sometimes harder, Mark began to feel like it somehow wasn't really happening. It felt like a dream . . . one he would wake up from any moment, but he willed it to go on. He pressed JinYoung's body closer to his, losing himself in the feel of welling desire.

When JinYoung felt Mark pull him closer, the feel of it emboldened him. He flicked his tongue against Mark's lips, pressing forward, sliding it into Mark's mouth.

This new taste and sensation from JinYoung was too much for Mark to handle. He moaned as JinYoung's tongue twirled against his and then Mark daringly rolled forward, pressing JinYoung onto his back. JinYoung immediately wrapped his arms around Mark's neck and back pressing him closer if it were possible. He lifted his knees and wrapped his legs around Mark, slowly ing and sensually rolling against him.

Mark stopped kissing and raised his head to look down at JinYoung. He was looking at Mark with his eyes heavy with desire. Mark scanned his face from his forehead to his chin, drinking in his beauty with his eyes. Then he tenderly traced the side of his face. He was also ing, slowly . . . agonizingly slowly against JinYoung as their gazes connected them to one another. This feeling was one that neither of them had felt before . . . one that they could never have even imagined. To be so close to someone . . . it was so exciting . . . yet so comforting. It was like being lifted to the clouds while being held in the embrace of warm earth.

Mark leaned forward and kissed JinYoung lightly on his waiting lips, swollen with desire.

"I . . . I . . . " Mark stammered unable to pour forth what was surging against the dam of his heart.

But JinYoung just slid his hand from the back of Mark's neck to the side of his face, while never moving his gaze from Mark's.

"I know . . . I do, too . . . " he said as he raised his head to meet Mark's lips with an inflamed kiss.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"Are these two boys in school today," the officer asked.

"Not according to the records. They've both been reported absent by their homeroom teacher," Mrs Nam replied

What kind of trouble has JinYoung got himself into now?

"You haven't seen or heard anything from them all day?" the officer persisted.

"No, I haven't. Just what is the trouble, officer?"

"They have been reported missing. There is no evidence of foul play, so as far as we can determine thus far they seem to have run away in the night. We need to locate them because one of the boys is seriously disturbed. He was to be transported to a treatment facility this morning, but he escaped."

"Escaped? That's a pretty harsh word, isn't it officer? It makes him sound like a criminal."

"I can only relay the facts in hand and ask for your full cooperation," the officer responded dispassionately. "If you have no more information, then may I request that you please contact me immediately if you hear anything," the officer said, extending a card.

"Yes, if I hear anything, I will," Mrs Nam promised.

"In the meantime, may I request permission for a few of my officers to search the school? Getting the one boy to the facility as soon as possible is both urgent and essential. He may be a danger to himself and the other boy."

"A danger?"

"Yes. That's what we've been told. May we have your permission to search?"

Mrs Nam felt sceptical. She wasn't very well acquainted with Mark but what she had seen and heard of him didn't give her any indication that he was in any way 'dangerous'. And as for JinYoung, he had had troubles in the past, but the overwhelming evidence pointed to it not having been of his own doing. Also, the young man was bright and intelligent; she couldn't imagine him running away with this student without some good reason. However, she had to admit that there might be circumstances that she was unaware of. She just hoped that JinYoung and Mark knew what they were doing and that they were safe.

"Very well, as long as you cause a minimum of disturbance, you may unobtrusively search the school. But please, try to keep in mind that we're running an institution of learning here, not a crime ring. So, for the sake of the other students, please tread carefully."

"We always do."

 


 

Commenting, subscribing and upvoting is truly and sincerely appreciated.

Also (Beware: shameless self-promotion approaching) please take a look at my other fics. I may write for myself, but I post for you.  (*^_^)