Chapter 2

Leaning is Strength

Chapter 2

 


 

"This is where you'll sleep," JinYoung said gesturing to the bed across the room from his.

Mark looked around the room with a subdued awe.

"Is this really my room?" he asked.

"It's our room," JinYoung answered. "That bed and desk are yours. You can put your things in that small chest of drawers, but we'll have to share this rack, if you have anything to hang up. Breakfast is usually at seven on school days and eight on holidays and weekends. We also get a packed lunch and dinner is served at six. If you have to stay late in the library to study, your serving will be packed in a container with your name on it and left in the refrigerator. I would advise that you eat it all, or Ms Lee will complain about wasting food and how much time she takes to prepare meals for a bunch of ungrateful children," he smiled.

"One more thing: you should try to get up at the latest 6am if you want to have a shower with warm water. If you wait 'til right before breakfast, the water will most probably be cold. Also, with more people showering, the water pressure tends to go down, so then you'll have to stand there for twice as long under cold water. I wouldn't recommend it."

Mark listened carefully and then nodded his head once JinYoung had finished talking. He then sat on his bed and looked down.

What's wrong with him now? JinYoung wondered.

"I . . . I don't have to . . . use the . . . drawers, do I? I can just leave my things in my bag if I want to . . . can't I?" he asked without looking up.

"Well, I guess . . . if you really want to," JinYoung answered. "But why don't you want to put your stuff away? Everything's clean," he explained.

But Mark just sat there looking at the floor without answering.

"I can show you where the bathroom, shower room and kitchen are, and then we can have breakfast," JinYoung suggested cheerfully.

Mark looked at his bag and drew it a little closer to him.

"Don't worry, no one's going to touch your bag," he assured him. "We live in the big guys' room. No one ever comes in here without permission. I guarantee it. Your things will be safe in here," he pledged.

Mark looked up and nodded.

Then, the two of them left the room.

As usual, it was noisy in the dining room. JinYoung and Mark took seats across from one another at the very end of the table.

"Sorry it's so noisy. It's like this every mealtime. You'll get used to it."

But Mark didn't look at all disturbed. He actually smiled a little.

"Hello, what's your name?" the little girl sitting next to him asked in a perky voice.

"Mark. What's your name?"

"My name is MinHye. But my friends call me Minnie," she said.

"Can I call you Minnie?" he asked.

"Will you be my friend?" she asked excitedly.

"If you want me to be," he smiled.

"KangSoo! KangSoo! Mark says he's going to be my friend!" she shouted across the table.

"MinHye, don't shout," Miss Jung corrected.

Minnie looked at Mark shyly and he smiled again.

This time, it wasn't a close-mouthed smile. It was an open, unguarded smile.

When JinYoung saw it, he was astonished.

He has such a beautiful smile!

He actually seemed to glow, it was so bright!

He looked so different from the Mark he had seen in the office and in the room. He looked so happy, like he didn't have a care in the world. No longer frightened. No longer morose. Just . . . happy.

And from that moment JinYoung knew one thing.

He always wanted to see him that way.

 

Mark spent almost the entire day playing with the children.

JinYoung had been at the orphanage for the last eleven years. But he wasn't close to anyone.

When he'd first arrived, he didn't want to accept it. He kept thinking that his parents would come back to get him and so he wanted his bag to stay packed and slept with his cap and jacket on: he wanted to be ready for when they arrived.

It took a long time for him to accept this was his new home. It took even longer for him to fully understand what death was. That death meant his parents were never coming back.

Once he'd accepted the situation, he slowly began to get close to some of the other children there, but he found that, in time, it only brought him heartache. Once he'd grown close to someone, they'd invariably get adopted, then he'd be alone again. He'd feel close to someone else, then their parents who had left them at the orphanage because they'd been temporarily unable to care for them, would pick them up and he would never see them again.

So, he learned to keep to himself.

No one ever wanted to adopt him. He didn't know why. He didn't know what was wrong with him. Whenever prospective parents came, he was always lively and cordial, but for some reason they never chose him. Sometimes, he felt relieved: it somehow felt like he would be betraying his own parents if he went to be someone else's son in someone else's home. But mostly, he felt rejected. It was one thing for him to decide he didn't want to go, but it was another thing to know that he was unwanted. So, he'd resigned himself to the fact that he'd be staying at the orphanage until he graduated from school.

He'd also resigned himself to not being close to anyone for the rest of the time he spent there.

Until now.

That Mark was a strange character. He thought he might even be a psycho case. Why would he act so weird all the time? Holding onto his bag like that. Granted, JinYoung had done something like that but he'd been a little boy. Surely he didn't think his parents would be coming back for him at his age? JinYoung had begun to think he might even have to sleep with one eye open sharing a room with a crazy kid like that.

But, then . . . he smiled . . . and his face lit up as brightly as the sun . . .

And when he played with the children . . . he looked so happy and carefree.

So, now instead of thinking he was some sort of psycho-weirdo, JinYoung wanted to get to know him and help him if he could.

 

That night, probably because he'd played so much all day, Mark fell into a deep sleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. The next day was virtually the same. All of the children wanted to play with him. They were so happy that a boy as old as Mark showed some interest in them. Usually, when the boys and girls got older, they usually lorded it over the younger ones and became obsessed with who the liked and how they looked. But, Mark was different.

That Sunday night, because everyone had to get up early for school the next morning, Mark came back to his and JinYoung's bedroom right after dinner.

"Tomorrow, we'll walk to class together and I'll get your books for you, okay? If you want, I can ask the teachers if we can sit together."

"Okay," Mark answered looking down.

When he's not playing or around little kids, all he does is stare at the floor and hardly answer.

"If you want," JinYoung continued encouragingly, "I can show you the lessons we're on tonight, so you'll be at least a little prepared for tomorrow."

Mark didn't move or answer.

JinYoung stacked all his textbooks and notebooks up on his desk.

"Bring your chair and sit by me," he said scooting to the side.

Mark silently rose and took a place next to JinYoung.

As they went through book after book it became clear to JinYoung that Mark was really far behind. He decided to begin tutoring right away on some of the more fundamental points.

But Mark didn't seem interested at all.

"Mark-Hyung, you're not even trying."

Mark raised his head and looked at JinYoung in wonder. He looked absolutely shocked.

"You called me . . . hyung?"

"You're older than me, right?" JinYoung asked.

"I guess, but . . . "

"Then, you're my hyung," he said smiling. "Now, let's look at this again."

"I can't. I'm too dumb," Mark said sadly.

"You're not dumb. You've just never had it before," JinYoung reassured him. "I'll get some of my notebooks from last year. Those should explain everything better."

"Don't waste your time. I won't get it. I already told you . . . "

"I'll get the notebooks."

 

It turned out that Mark was wrong. He wasn't dumb.

For the first time in two years, he started to understand some schoolwork again and that was all due to JinYoung. Studying together had been tiring, but it had been worth it in the end. After two years in darkness, he was starting to see the promise of some light.

"I told you," JinYoung said ruffling his hair affectionately. "You're not dumb at all. You just needed the right teacher. Me!"

Mark smiled his brightest smile looking directly at JinYoung.

Ba-thump!

What was that? JinYoung asked himself, feeling a strong knock deep inside him as he looked at Mark.

"I guess we should go to bed now," he said, shaking it off. "We've got an early start in the morning."

Mark nodded and stood up.

"Thank . . . you . . .  JinYoung, for  . . . helping me."

"Please. Please. No applause," he joked. "Really though, don't mention it. We'll work together and you'll catch up in no time," he smiled.

Mark then replaced his chair and got ready for bed.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"No . . . . . . . . . . . no . . . . . . . . " Mark groaned in his sleep.

He tossed and turned, whipping his head from side to side.

JinYoung leapt out of his bed and over to Mark's side.

"Mark . . . . . . . . . MARK!" JinYoung called out, shaking him, "wake up!"

Mark sat up suddenly, his eyes wide in shock.

"Mark, are you alright?" JinYoung asked, looking at him worriedly.

Mark just stared straight ahead. He seemed not to hear or see anything.

"Mark, can you hear me?" JinYoung asked, reaching out to grab his shoulders.

Mark suddenly shook him off violently.

"Don't! . . . Don't touch me! . . . . . . Let go! . . . . . . . . Don't! . . . . . . " he screamed.

"Mark, it's me, JinYoung!"

The door flew open.

"What's going on in here?" Miss Kang asked. She was the carer most evenings and nights. She was in her mid-thirties and usually looked quite pretty when you saw her before bed or sometimes, at the breakfast table in the morning. Now, she had her hair tied up and her face looked oily, covered in some sort of face cream. She looked . . . well, she still looked . . . pretty . . . JinYoung thought.

"He had a nightmare," JinYoung answered getting up.

"Mark," Miss Kang called, sitting next to Mark being careful not to touch him. "Mark, it's okay. We won't hurt you. No one's going to hurt you, I promise," she said softly.

At the soft words, Mark seemed to come to. He looked into Miss Kang's eyes and then he suddenly reached out and pulled her into a tight hug. She tentatively put her arms around him and held him, rocking him almost as though he were a baby.

"It's alright now," she crooned as she rocked him. "It's all going to be alright."

As she started to feel the tension flow out of his body, she slowly loosened her clasp. She leaned back and looked at him.

"Now would you like to lie down and try to get some sleep?"

Mark looked terrified and began shaking his head back and forth.

"Mark, you have school in the morning, you have to try to get some rest. Remember, you're not alone. We're here," she soothed.

Mark still looked frightened but he began to slowly slide down into his bed.

"Everything will be fine now," she reassured him. "JinYoung is here with you, too. We'll make sure nothing happens to you, okay?"

Mark looked over towards JinYoung. His face was stamped with worry.

"I'm sorry if I scared you, Mark," he apologised softly. "I just wanted you to wake up."

The fear began to slowly seep away from Mark's eyes as he searched JinYoung's face. He seemed sincere.

I don't have to be afraid of him. He won't hurt me.

"Now, try to go back to sleep. You've got a happy day ahead of you," Miss Kang said, tucking him in. She his hair gently before standing up.

Once JinYoung had returned to his bed, she tucked him in, too. It had been years since JinYoung had been tucked in. It felt . . . nice.

"Sleep well, you two," she said as she stood on the threshold, and then, she closed the door behind her.

 

JinYoung couldn't sleep.

He just kept seeing Mark's face; eyes staring straight ahead in horror.

And hearing his scream as JinYoung held his shoulders.

And seeing him in Miss Kang's arms as she comforted him. And at that thought, he felt a sudden, harsh thud as an odd question slipped furtively into his mind.

Why couldn't it have been me who was able to help him?

That question troubled his mind until he finally slipped off to sleep.

 

Mark and JinYoung stood in the doorway of their homeroom class.

"I'll go and get your books. I'll be right back," he told Mark before hurrying away. Class was set to start any minute. They had left for school little too late.

While he was gone the last of the students arrived and finally, their teacher, Mr Yoon.

"Everyone take your seats," he directed.

Mark moved into the classroom, but kept standing near the door. JinYoung hadn't returned with the books yet and he was afraid to move.

"You must be the new student," Mr Yoon said addressing him. He motioned to Mark to come to the front of the class. Mark felt frightened, but he couldn't disregard a teacher, so he walked self-consciously to the front. All of the students' eyes were on him as Mr Yoon introduced him to his classmates. Most looked bored. Some of the girls looked slightly interested, while others looked downright flirtatious. A few remaining students looked like they smelled something foul as they peered in his direction.

Being scrutinised like that made Mark feel very uncomfortable. As a result, he avoided everybody's eyes by lowering his head.

"There's a free place next to KyungChul," Mr Yoon said, motioning towards an empty chair in the back. The boy seated next to it was one of the students who had scowled at him. He felt as though lead had suddenly been dropped in his stomach.

Just then the classroom door flew open.

"I'm sorry for being late, Mr Yoon," JinYoung said bowing repeatedly with a stack of books in his hands. "I went to get Mark's books for him."

"That's fine. Mark was just getting seated" said Mr Yoon. "We're just about to start."

Just then he noticed Mark walking towards the other side of the classroom, in the direction of KyungChul, of all people. KyungChul might be known for many things, but kindness to strangers was not one of them.

"Mr Yoon, could Mark sit next to me? I thought . . . "

"JinYoung, we need to start class now. We have a lot to cover and we don't have time right now to start moving students around. We can discuss it tomorrow before class," he emphasised. Now please hand Mark his books and let's get started. We've wasted enough time today," Mr Yoon scolded. "Now everyone turn to page 127 . . . "

JinYoung hurried to what was now Mark's chair and placed the books in front of him. He only had a moment to give him a sympathetic smile before returning to his seat. Throughout the hour, he repeatedly stole looks at Mark, hoping he would catch his eye and send him an encouraging smile, but Mark spent most of the time looking down.

But something even more disturbing was happening. He noticed KyungChul leaning over and whispering into Mark's ear once or twice, and each time he did, Mark looked increasingly disturbed.

JinYoung felt his blood surge as his hands tightened into fists.

But, if that wasn't bad enough, the very worst thing was when Mr Yoon asked Mark a question. It was a question that anyone in their year, even the worst of students would have been able to answer; a topic they had gone over last night and JinYoung was sure he knew the answer to, but . . .

Mark, in his shaken state, just sat there looking confused and then embarrassed. JinYoung tried mouthing the answer to him, but Mark wasn't looking in his direction. Some students noticed JinYoung's efforts and started to giggle. Finally, Mr Yoon, noticing that Mark was unable to answer, cleared his throat and moved on.

But the damage had been done.

Mark's head stayed lowered for the rest of the period.

And JinYoung noticed that he rubbed the back of his hand across his eyes quickly and harshly.

He must be crying, he thought unhappily. He felt so guilty for having been late getting to class. He had to make it up to him.

JinYoung couldn't wait for the bell to ring. He had to get to Mark.

He knew exactly where he would take him to get him away from all those unkind, prying eyes.

And once they were there. He would . . .

The bell finally rang.

JinYoung fairly leapt from his seat, grabbing his bag and ran towards Mark.

KyungChul was standing uncomfortably close to Mark with a smirk on his face. JinYoung felt the blood rush to his head as he grew enraged. He could see himself tackling KyungChul to the ground and repeatedly pummelling him until he cried for mercy.

See how he'd like spilling a few tears . . . JinYoung growled inwardly.

But instead, he simply shoved KyungChul out of the way. He couldn't get into another fight. He had to think of his future. But, most of all, he had to think of Mark. KyungChul looked at JinYoung's face and saw the murderous look in his eye.

He's not kidding. He looks like he actually wants to kill me . . .

So for once, without another word he backed down.

Then JinYoung took Mark's hand in his and quickly led him out of the classroom.

 

They scaled the stairs quickly, taking them two at a time. They had to get there before anyone else did.

Finally they made it. The best and most secluded place in the entire school, except for particular sections of the library and the locker room when there was no gym class.

The roof.

Once up there, JinYoung took a piece of wood he had hidden and pushed it through the handle. Now no one could intrude.

"Mark," he said gently looking at the boy's crestfallen face.

"Mark," he repeated placing his fingers carefully under his chin, slowly inclining his head to meet his eyes.

As soon as their eyes met, JinYoung saw the wretchedness in them. Mark stumbled quickly forward and pulled JinYoung into his arms.

"JinYoung," he cried miserably.

"Mark," JinYoung answered softly, returning his tight embrace. With one hand he began the back of his head and with the other he rubbed small circles on his back. "It's okay," he comforted.

They held each other, Mark feeling more solaced every moment and JinYoung contented that he could hold him tight and make him feel better just as Miss Kang had last night.

Once he had calmed down, they broke their embrace, Mark wiping his eyes and JinYoung his hair. Then the two of them sat together and unpacked their lunches. It was Mark's first day and Ms Lee had outdone herself. She'd made a very special lunch for both boys.

"Ms Lee must really like you," JinYoung said. My lunches never usually look like this. You're a very special guy, Mark," he said as he reached out ruffling his hair.

Then they tucked in, eating their lunch with great relish.

Once they were done, they still had a few minutes left before they had to head back down for class.

"I'll make sure we sit together for the rest of the day. Okay?" JinYoung promised.

Mark smiled happily and nodded his head.

"I'm glad you look so happy," JinYoung smiled. "We have a lot of work to get through this evening. It'll be easier with this great mood you're in."

Mark's face fell.

JinYoung took his hand. He interlaced their fingers affectionately.

"Just remember how well you did yesterday. Think about that. Don't ever forget when you do well. It will build your confidence and soon you'll be able to face anything. Do you believe me?"

Mark looked into JinYoung's eyes.

Yes, I don't know why, but I believe you. . .

He nodded his head.

"Then let's go!" JinYoung grinned.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"What's up with you?"

"Nothing," KyungChul grumbled as he stuffed his mouth grumpily with food.

"He's just upset that JinYoung made him look bad," his one-of-many-sidekicks said.

"What does he mean," TaekMyun asked gesturing towards the boy who'd spoken, "JinYoung made you look bad?"

"I said it was nothing."

"And I said, 'what does he mean?"

KyungChul was a big bully at the school, but TaekMyun was someone even he was afraid of.

"He was just trying to play 'hero' protecting some new kid," he muttered.

He then went on to tell TaekMyun all about what happened in class, his narrative punctuated the by excitable interjections of a few not-so-innocent bystanders.

"That JinYoung is getting too big for his britches," TaekMyun grimaced. "And that guy, who is he? How does he know Pak if he's new?"

"News on the grapevine is that they arrived at school together this morning," someone offered.

"So, they must live together. Pak's not really the making friends type. He must be another one of those orphans. What are they? A virus or something?" TaekMyun asked contemptuously. Then he scanned the lunchroom, but JinYoung was nowhere in sight. "So, where is he?"

"He took off right after he shoved KyungChul," another voice offered.

"So he's hiding his little friend from us? That's not very friendly of him. I think I'm going to have to teach him some manners," TaekMyun said.

"Mrs Nam already warned you to stay away from JinYoung. You'll get in big trouble if she finds out you've gone anywhere near him," KyungChul warned. "Why do you think I didn't do anything to him?"

"You didn't do anything because you don't have too much upstairs," TaekMyun said pushing KyungChul's forehead scornfully with his finger. "Didn't you say you made that new kid cry?"

"Yeah."

"And then JinYoung came flying to his rescue . . . Well, don't you get it? That's the answer," TaekMyun said throwing an arm around KyungChul's shoulder. "I think it would be remiss of me if I didn't introduce myself and welcome him to the school, don't you?"

 


 

For something a little lighter, please check out my MarkJin one-shots.

Please don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote!