Chapter 3

Leaning is Strength

Hello Lovely Readers!!!

I haven't had a chance to proofread this update yet. I just wanted to post it asap.  ^_^

Hope you like it! If you do, please don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote!  (*^_^)


tumblr_n9849sVi8e1tq4w4ho1_250.png

Chapter 3

The next day, JinYoung and Mark left for school earlier than usual.

"Wait here, I just have to speak to Mr Yoon before class. I won't be long," he said with a smile.

Mark felt nervous waiting in the hallway alone. What if that bully came along?

But nothing happened. Nothing much, anyway. A couple of girls walked by and looked at him as though he was sizing him up and just as they passed him, they burst out giggling. Mark was embarrassed. He thought they were making fun of him, but . . .

He's so cute! one girl said.

I know. They say he's an orphan, though.

Who cares? He's gorgeous. I hope he doesn't have anyone he likes yet.

JinYoung joined him in a few minutes.

"Let's go to class," he said putting his arm warmly around Mark's shoulder.

JinYoung and Mark entered the classroom and went straight to two seats near the front.

"Why are we sitting here?" Mark asked.

"I talked to Mr Yoon. He said we could sit here, together. Look, I just got us the best seats in the house. How is it to know someone as influential as me? You're a pretty lucky guy," JinYoung smiled.

From that day onward, JinYoung and Mark sat together in every class they had together. Mark was becoming more and more confident and even, occasionally raised his hand and was able to answer a couple of questions. At first, he didn't want to. When he knew the answer and just thought about raising his hand, his heart would start to pound and he would feel the blood surge to his head. His breathing would feel constricted and he would start to shake slightly.

The first time, JinYoung noticed a question was being asked that Mark knew the answer to, he nudged Mark to put his hand up. He looked closely at Mark and noticed that his ears and cheeks were turning red and he looked like it was difficult for him to breathe. JinYoung then reached under the table and took his hand. He held it tenderly, Mark's knuckles with his thumb. Mark didn't raise his hand that day. But when he looked over at JinYoung he saw him smile at him and nod his head in understanding.

 

"You get nervous when you want to answer a question in class, don't you?" JinYoung asked as they sat at the desk studying that evening.

"Yeah . . . " Mark answered, embarrassed.

"The thing is, if you participate more in class, it'll raise your grade." Mark just sat there looking wretched. He didn't think he would ever be able to do that.

"I think I have an idea. I'll ask a question and if you think you know the answer, just put your hand up."

Mark looked at him skeptically.

"I know it sounds silly, but just try it."

JinYoung asked a question that he knew Mark could answer. Mark put his hand up.

"Yes . . . Mark?" JinYoung said imitating Mr Yoon.

Mark answered the question.

"Very good," JinYoung said. "See, you did great!"

"That's because it was you asking, not Mr Yoon and it was here, not in the classroom in front of everyone."

"That's right! So, all you have to do when you start to feel nervous is just tell me the answer."

That sounds a little crazy.

"Just talk to me. You'll be looking in Mr Yoon's direction, but just talk to me," JinYoung suggested.

"But my heart starts racing and it feels hard to breathe."

"Just take a couple of really deep breaths and then tell me the answer even though you won't be looking at me. I read a little about the fear of public speaking on the internet after I saw . . . well, we can just try it, can't we?"

It isn't we. It's me who has the problem.

 

Mark knew the answer to this question. He really wanted to answer but just the thought of it made his heart pound and his chest feel tight.

JinYoung took Mark's hand in his and stared straight ahead.

Mark put up his hand.

And took a deep breath.

And answered the question.

His voice sounded the slightest bit shaky, but he had done it.

JinYoung wished he could take Mark in his arms and give him a tight hug right then, but he had to settle for squeezing his hand and smiling at him.

 

After that, Mark's confidence began to grow, slowly, but steadily.

Whenever JinYoung was tutoring him or helping him with his homework, he no longer said he was dumb. Instead, he ask questions. And if he still didn't understand, he would ask again.

JinYoung had taught him that there were no dumb questions and that only a person who doesn't ask questions when they don't understand something is dumb.

So, Mark asked lots of questions.

And JinYoung always answered them.

 

Even though Mark was getting better and better at school, his favourite time was still the weekends. That was when he could sleep a little longer, linger over breakfast and play with the younger kids. Mark played with them for hours every Saturday and Sunday, but couldn't play for as long as he used to. He had tutoring and homework and if he was ever going to catch up and be able to sit the final exams at the same time as JinYoung next year, he had a lot of catching up to do.

 

While Mark was playing with the children, JinYoung enjoyed having some time to himself. He would read, listen to music, sketch something lazily or just look out the window.

But, during all these activities, his mind would always wander.

To Mark.

JinYoung had always thought of friends as unnecessary distractions. But with Mark it was different. Even though he was taking a lot of time to help him, he never felt like it was a waste of his time. Whenever Mark understood something or smiled because he got a good grade on an assignment or test, JinYoung would feel his heart swell. He was as happy for Mark as he would have been for himself.

Is this what it feels like to have a friend? he wondered.

 

Everything was getting better for Mark except one thing.

His nightmares.

They were becoming less frequent; sometimes he wouldn't have one for four or five days. But then they would come back with a vengeance.

He would scream himself awake, stare ahead catatonically. JinYoung would leap from his bed and sit next to him until he came to himself. Then Mark would hug him long and hard, while JinYoung returned his embrace, rubbing his back. Sometimes, JinYoung would hum or sing something comfortingly to him in a low voice. And Mark would calm down faster.

Soon, he had developed a routine. He would get to Mark within seconds and let him know he was there.

"It's me, JinYoung, Mark-Hyung," he would announce.

 Then he would touch his face. As long as he didn't touch him in any sort of forceful way, and especially if  he sang, his ministrations would bring Mark out of his terror faster. As long as he sang, he could even reach out to hug him gently without Mark panicking. Then, he would rock him slowly singing or humming close to his ear until he felt the tension in his body melt.

"JinYoung," Mark would sigh heavily as he held him ever tighter against him.

"I'm here, Hyung," JinYoung would answer, patting and rubbing his back. After a time, he would feel Mark beginning to feel heavy in his arms, an indication that he was starting to fall asleep. He would then gently lean him back until he was lying with his head once again on his pillow.

"Sleep well, Mark," he'd whisper before replacing his covers and returning to his own bed.

Mark wouldn't awaken again. Once he'd had one nightmare, he would sleep deeply and dreamlessly until morning.

The problem was that he was having the nightmares in the first place. It was a problem not only for him but for the rest of the children in the house.

Although JinYoung looked after Mark, his screams would wake some of the other children and Miss Kang would have to soothe them back to sleep. Sometimes, once he was sure that Mark was fast asleep, JinYoung would go and help Miss Kang with the other children.

But things couldn't go on this way.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

"Mrs Lee! Miss Jung! Something's wrong!"

Mrs Lee couldn't leave the little ones in the kitchen alone, so Miss Jung went on her own. When she got to the room, Mark was white as a sheet.

"What's wrong?" she asked him.

He motioned towards JinYoung's bed.

He was laying there but he wasn't moving.

"JinYoung! . . . . JinYoung-Ah!" Miss Jung shouted.

She touched his forehead. It was alarmingly hot.

"How long has he been like this?"

"He was like this when I woke up this morning. His alarm clock always goes off before mine, but this morning he didn't turn it off. So I went over to turn it off . . . and . . . " his voice shook and broke off.

"It's okay, Mark, don't worry too much," she tried to reassure him, but she was honestly worried. "JinYoung-Ah," she called to him rubbing his arms vigorously to try to revive him. "JinYoung . . . JinYoung! Mark, pass me a cold wet cloth and the first-aid kit!"

Mark raced to the bathroom and was back in what seemed like seconds.

She applied the washcloth to his forehead and after a few moments he seemed to come to. But he was very disoriented.

Miss Jung took his temperature with the ear-thermometer. It was shockingly high! She took out her phone and called the doctor. Mark looked worriedly at JinYoung. What if something happens to him? What if he . . . never comes back?

Mark's eyes filled with tears as he choked back a sob.

"Mark, you have to get ready for school now," Miss Jung said to him while still patting JinYoung with the cloth.

"But, I can't leave him." If I leave him, he'll never come back . . . he'll never come back . . .

"The doctor is on his way. I'll stay with him. Nothing's going to happen to JinYoung. It's a high fever that's all. He'll be fine," Miss Jung said, trying to keep the worry out of her voice. She knew the dangers of such a high fever and she had no idea how long he'd been in this state. God, don't let him start to convulse . . .

Mark hadn't moved an inch.

"Mark, you have to go to school. He'll be okay. Now, go get ready."

Mark reluctantly left the room and did what Miss Jung said. But he couldn't eat much breakfast, no matter how much Mrs Lee tried to encourage him. When the doctor came, Mark stood in the doorway as he examined JinYoung and gave him medication to lower his temperature.

"Remove this cover and bring something lightweight. I'll need some wet cloths and a basin of cold water." He motioned to Mark when he'd returned he added rubbing alcohol to the water had Mark thoroughly wet the cloths and help apply them to his armpits and groins. Then he covered him with the sheet.

"The temperature should break very soon now. I'll stay until it reduces." Then he said, addressing Mark, "You've been a good helper. Are you his friend?"

"Yes," he answered softly.

"Well, you've helped your friend a lot," he smiled before turning back to JinYoung.

"Mark, you have to go now, or you'll be late," Miss Jung reminded him.

He was reluctant to go.

"You've helped a lot. Even the doctor said so. JinYoung will be fine. Now, you have to get going. He wouldn't be happy if he knew you were missing class, would he?"

"No," Mark replied unhappily. Then he raised his head and asked, "You'll let him know that I was worried about him and that I wanted to stay with him, won't you?"

"Of course I will," Miss Jung promised.

Then Mark smiled a brief half-smile, grabbed his bag and left.

 

Mark did all he could to concentrate on his lessons that day. He was sure that JinYoung would ask him what happened in class and he wanted to be able to answer him. He also wanted to be a help to JinYoung for once. So, although his thoughts kept drifting back to JinYoung he focused hard and took notes very carefully, so that he could share them with him later. He didn't want JinYoung to fall behind in the least. He knew how serious he was about school.

 

The clock seemed to be ticking extra slow today. Mark had to wonder several times if it was broken. But, finally the bell rang signalling the end of the school day. Mark hurriedly gathered his things to run home to JinYoung. He was running out of the classroom when he bumped into someone who then went sprawling to the ground.

"I'm sorry!" he said helping the person up.

He dusted off his clothes and looked at Mark.

"No, it was totally my fault. I shouldn't have been standing in the way. You look like you're in a hurry."

"Well, yes. My friend is sick and . . . "

"Are you Mark?" the boy asked.

"Yes . . . who are you?"

"Oh, then we have a mutual acquaintance named JinYoung," he smiled. "I was actually looking for him. Is he around?"

"No, he's sick. I was just on my way to him."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. Tell him that I hope he gets better soon."

Then he laughed to himself. "That's more than he said to me when he broke my nose."

"JinYoung . . . broke . . . "

"Don't worry about it. It's not a big deal. He just lost his temper again. Everybody's a little afraid of him because of it. When he loses it, anyone who's around . . . well, I  guess I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyway, I hope he'll be feeling better soon. Give him my regards."

"Um, okay," said Mark. "But, I don't know your name . . ."

"TaekMyun," he said pleasantly. "Cho TaekMyun."

 


Thanks for reading. Please remember to subscribe, comment and upvote!

And, please check out my other MarkJin fics. MarkJin 4-Ever!  (*^_^)