Page 3

The Days of Our Youth

"True friends are not the ones who are there when it's convinient.

True friends are there when it's not."

~Anonymous

 

(The next day)

It was lunch time and it was heaven.

'TODAY'S SPECIAL : GOGUMA CRACKERS AND SNACKS'

Yes, that was the sign. You read it right. I went to the food stall and grab all the snacks and bread I wanted.

"Whoaa, that's a lot there," a guy commented beside me.

Yeah, right. This amount of food I can handle is scaring you, right? So go away now.

"You'll get fat, you know?"

"What is your pro.." I took a glance on him and I can't speak a word. It was him. "Uh, i-it's okay, right?"

Right, I can't really tell him that it's half due to me being excited of the goguma and half because I want to lose my appeal on the guys.

And this is so disgraceful.. In front of him

I could feel how red my face must be and I felt the urge to get away from him as soon as possible. Especially due to yesterday's incident.

"Ahjumma, how much is all these?" I asked one of the stall ahjumma.

"Oh, wait a minute, okay? We're running out of plastic bag now. I'll get one for you," she replied

"Ah, no, it's okay, I'll just hold it like this," I told her.

"Okay, then that will be 9000 won, please." I gave her the money. "Okay, I've recieved the money. Thank you," she smiled.

"Ne, kamsahamnida," I hold my snacks and turn around to search for Jiyeon and Hara. Just a few seconds later, I felt someone yanked my arms.

"Hold it right there, agasshi," the other stall ahjumma was talking to me in a weird tone.

"Ne?"

"Where are you going? You haven't paid fot these snacks, right?"

"Ne? But I have already paid," I answered.

"Eyy, don't play tricks on me, young lady. If you have paid for them, why aren't they in plastic bags?"

"This is.."

"This kind of incidents have been happening around lately, you know? And I'm sure you know that it's wrong to do so," the ahjumma keeps pestering me with her talk, insisting that I was stealing those snacks.

What is wrong with this ahjumma. She cut me off before I even give her a proper explaination!

"Seohyunnie?"

"Ah, Jiyeon, Hara!" I felt a bit relieved seeing those two.

"Wait a minute, Seohyun-ah. What are you doing there? This sounds bad.." Jiyeon said after seeing me arguing with the ahjumma. I can't even believe my ears now, they didn't even defend me as their friend!

"Yah, Seohyunnie, I know you are a tomboy and all, but it is wrong to walk out before paying, you know? Stop commiting wrong deeds like that.." Hara adds.

"No, there is no way I would do such a thing!" I defended myself.

"Agasshi, if you pay now, I wouldn't make a big deal about it anymore, okay? And I promise I won't report you to the dean," the ahjumma kept insisting.

"That's why.." I tried to explain once again.

"That lady did pay, okay?"

... No way. I looked back to the source of that voice. He was looking at us with a straight poker face while all attention were on him.

seju11-31.jpg

"If you don't believe me, you can ask that ahjumma over there," he adds. The ahjumma he mentioned turned back and realized the situation.

"Oh, yes, I recieved the money from her just now. She has paid for those," she explained immediately.

"What? Oh, I see then," the annoying ahjumma let go of my hands. "You are free to go now," she shooed me with her hand.

Wha.. What?! I was speechless. After creating such a scene, wrongly accused me as a thief, and she didn't feel sorry at all, this ahjumma must be a real rude person.

"Hey, that's wrong, right, old woman? You should apologize to her," again, he said what was in my mind.

"Old.. woman?!?!" she looked back angrily.

"You're the one at fault, accusing her as a thief and all. Isn't it a common knowledge to apologize when you are the one at fault?" He adds, maintaining his straight face but his words striking the annoying ahjumma back.

"Alright. Mian." the annoying ahjumma kept it short trying to hold back her anger.

"Ne.." I answered, still in shock of what happened. As soon as the problem solved, he turned back and made his way out of the cafetaria.

"Wait!" I followed him outside. "Jung Yong oppa! wait!" I shouted again as he kept on walking, ignoring me. And that did it. He stopped and looked back at me.

"What is it?"

"Uh, thank you, oppa, for defending me back there.."

"I'm just stating the truth. No matter how I see it, that ahjumma is the one in the wrong."

"Yeah. I was pretty mad at first too. I don't know why.." I told him. "But then, oppa get mad and defended me. I guess it turns out well. So it is okay and I'm kind of happy with the result," I shyly confessed to him.

"..." he stared at me blankly."Being satisfied with a reason like that, you really are too simple minded." he finally spoke.

"Ne?"

"It must be because of that reason that your relationship with friends is loose," he adds. "Those people are just pretending to be friends with you. How foolish.." he said while turning his back, walking away.

"This might seems foolish to you, Jung Yong oppa. But they are extremely important to me. They are my friends." I told him.

"Huh? Like I care about that. It doesn't matter to me what you do or who you mingle with. It has nothing to do with me," he turned his back again only to gave me a cold smile. I stayed quiet, unable to speak a word.

Is this person really Jung Yong oppa?

"Oh, and one more thing. I'm a Kim now. The Jung Yong Hwa you know, is no longer there." He said while walking away.

Just like how I've changed, that person changed too..

I stared at him, watching him slowly vanished between the crowds.

So, we can no longer.. go back to that time..

*****

"Seohyunnie,you brought your own lunch again today?" Jiyeon asked me. We're having our lunch break in the classroom since it was really cold outside.

"No, It's still hard for me to go down to buy my lunch there," I told them while munching my goguma salad.

"Haha, Seohyun, I bet that ahjumma won't even remember you anymore!" Hara jokingly said.

"Oh right, speaking of which, there was this guy that rescued you back there," Jiyeon suddenly stated, startling me. "I think he is from the special advanced music class," she added, which shocked me even more.

"Special advanced class? Wow, those people are from a different level than us, right? And I also heard a rumor, especially about that guy. Manny people are gossiping on him : a genius in guitar, having an amazing voice and a handsome face. He is the full package!" Hara squealed while explaining to us.

It is true that our university had a special class for students with exceptional skills. Oh, I had never told you right? My university is basically an art academy with many different majors like music, acting, fine arts, and even some design major. I was in a music major along with the others. This, however, didn't change the fact that only a few selected students are able to get to the special advanced class. Do you know BoA, the queen of K-pop? She was one of the graduates from that special class, along with the infamous DBSK and JYJ. To get selected in the special class, one must have extraordinary skills in their respective major, and maintain their grades or they would be kicked out from that programme.

Odd enough, the university applied the high school style of class distributions, meaning with each intake, they would divide us to a few classes of 40 to 50 people and one advanced class. Each class having their own representatives and daily in charge person. For the music major, they prepared a big studio-like class having some big instruments like piano and drum, tables, chairs and many thing the normal classroom would have. Those handling smaller instruments like violin and flute will have to bring their own for lesson. Which, in a sense, explained how we can enjoy our lunch break in a classroom.

Well, I guess that explained how he became so sadistic, getting pressured from the advanced class.

I chomped down my lunch quickly, thinking how we can really never be together.

"Well, but I guess it's really rare for us to see those from advanced class, right? I guess we're lucky enough to see him there!" Hara happily speak.

"Well, it's not something to be happy about! Jiyeon and Hara, you guys even doubted me back there!" I told them and ended up being taken aback from what I said.

They are just pretending to be your friend... I remembered him saying a few days ago.

Ugh, begone.. begone.. They are my friends! I waved my hand which still holding my chopsticks to shoo the image of him.

"Oh, but, do you know that guy, Seohyunnie? It seems that way to me," Jiyeon asked me.

"Well, we studied from the same high school, but he transferred in the first year," I quickly answered.

"Oh, I see.." they responded at the same time.

I can't really tell them that he was.my first love.. right?

"Oh, by the way, how was the group date the other day, Jiyeon?" Hara asked, changing the topic.

But, why? Isn't it normal for friends to tell each others' secret like that?

"So-so, I guess," Jiyeon answered Hara's question, while I was still deep in thoughts. And then, his image saying that they pretended to be my friends flashed back to my mind again. I sighed.

"Hey, Sulli!" I heard a voice across the room. "Are you eating lunch outside again? Isn't it cold outside?" It was Woo young, one of the guy in my class.

"Ne, I'm having my lunch outside with my friends from the other class. I'll be fine~~" she flashed a cute smile, which, immediately, causing Jiyeon and Hara to have an expression like they wanted to puke, while me, being ignorant and continue finishing my lunch.

"Man, Sulli sure is cute huh?" Wooyoung commented immediately after Sulli got out of the class.

"I know, she had this healing effect. Did you see how small her lunchbox is?" Taecyeon also commented. The boys talked about Sulli while walking to their spot.

"Oh my gosh, really. That Sulli girl will never ever ever be able to blend with us!" Jiyeon immediately said.

"And somehow guys just love girls who act cute all the time. They are sure being unrealistic with girls, huh?" Hara added. And that was the last bite of my lunch.

"Hello, who is the person in charge for today?" Song seonsaengnim suddenly pop out at the door. "I need you to take the notes in my office and distribute it to your class for the lesson today."

"Ah, ne, seonsaengnim. It's  me," I immediately stood up. "Hey.." I looked back to Jiyeon and Hara, hoping them to accompany me to the office.

"Ohh, good luck with it, Seohyunnie," Jiyeon said. "Take care."

"Sorry, Seohyunnie, we can't accompany you since we haven't finished our lunch," Hara added.

Oh well, apparently not. I'll be fine anyway. And I just left.

It was a cold windy day. II feel the chill when I got outside. Well, the problem was, the teachers' office was on a separate building, the one where the advanced classes were. As I walked through the yard, I noticed Sulli eating alone again.

"Omo, Sulli-sshi! You can have your meals indoor in a weather like this you know!" I approached her.

"Ah, but then the sun's out. It feels nice and warm, that's why I'm out here," she replied.

"Are you kidding me? It's really cold our here!"

"Hehehe.." she gave me a foolish smile. "Ah, that's right!" She took out something from her pocket, and it was..

"KERORO!" my eyes widen as she revealed the thing inside her pocket.

"It's for you.."

"Really?"

"Yes, I saw you playing with the tamama keychain, so I figured out you must've liked it. So I got this one for you. I got it as a souvenir, paired with the tamama I have," she explained while giving it to me.

"Thank you!" I thanked her with excitement. I really really love keroro! But when our hands touched, her fingers was freezing cold.

Isn't she suppossed to be eating out with her friends from other classes? I thought silently

"Thank you, Seohyun-sshi, for talking to me, the other day and today too. I know that I always appear acting with cutesy in front of the boys. Even when I've annoyed everyone, I just end up becoming pretentious because I'm extremely nervous with them.." she told me in a sudden. "But then, everyone is dollying up, trying to be prettier and look good in front of others. So, how does that differs from me acting cute and all?"

"Eh.. That is..."

I don't really know how to answer her. After all, I don't even try to look good in front of the guys... WAIT! I do want to look good in front of the girls, that's why I've been like this, avoiding guys and trying to look bad. So I'm her opposite??

"But then.. I guess different people have different perspectives, right? So I won't deny that some poeple are annoyed with the way I am. However, in exchange of those negative feelings, I just want to be the person I want to be," she ended her not-so-long speech with a smile. I was impressed that she told me about it in a fluffy manner, yet she knew exactly what she wanted.

But then, that doesn't mean she's fine being all alone.

"Well, here, a heat pack," I gave her mine. "I got a spare. Use it, your fingers are freezing," I smiled at her. "I'll be going, first, okay! Song seonsaengnim waited for me. Thank you for the keroro keychain! I love it!" I waved at her. I walked away while she stared at me, amused.

I guess I really am the complete opposite of her, being the anti-cutesy acts. Hmm.. I lost deep in thought as I walked to the office.

"Hey, are you listening to me?"

"Yeah, I'm listening.."

I heard someone having a conversation up ahead so I peeked.

"Didn't I tell you before that you have to maintain your grades? You have to pull it up! And you being absent is not helping, you know!" I saw Jung Il Woo seonsaengnum and him. Jung Yong oppa. I stared at them while Jung seonsaengnim scolding him.

"What is it that you're staring at?" Jung Yong oppa suddenly talked to me, realizing my presence.

"I'm not staring!" I felt embarrassed and quickly went into the office, half shouting at him.

"Seo Joo Hyun-sshi, please don't be loud when entering the staff room," Song soensaengnim scolded me.

"Ne, joesonghamnida,,," I bowed. I took the notes from Song seonsaengnim table and immediately mentally slapped myself for closing the door just now. I couldn't open it with my hands full.

Well, I'll open it using my leg.. Talking about a girl's rudeness, aigoo..

And from all the people, Jung Yong oppa had to be in front of this door. Now I feel really embarassed.

"It seems quite a lot of stuff to be doing these on your own, huh?" he snickered. "So those friends whom you said are important won't even help you with such trivial matters?"

"Well, since you know I have to carry a lot, why don't YOU help me instead," I emphasized the word 'you', wanting to avoid this topic.

"Shiro, it's troublesome. And your class is too far," he said flatly.

"Yah! Yonghwa!" I head Jung seonsaengnim called him.

"Aigoo, so annoying. I'll be going of first," he mumbled as he left.

So you're really not going to help me out. Since when did you became so rude! 

"Aigoo, I'm so sorry about that boy. I'll help you with it, okay?" Jung seonsaengnim offered himself. "Where is your class?" he asked while taking a handful notes which I was holding.

"The other building.."

"Ah, then let's take the connecting corridors instead of passing through the yard. It's freezing today," he said while walking. "Well, are you friends with Yonghwa?"

"Well.. We used to be in the same middle school. However, it's been a while since we last saw each other."

"Ah.. I see!" he smiled, looking pleased. "I would be glad if you would be friends with him!" he added.

"Seo-seonsaengnim! Please don't say impossible things! Did't you see how we interacted back there? It's baa~d!" I told him. He just laugh it off.

jung+il+woo6.jpg

Although it was a bit different, I can see the similarity between him and Jung yong oppa. But I got to stop looking for oppa and dwell in the past.

"Well, is it okay if I let you walk back own your own from here? I got to head upstairs," he smiled as we reach somewhere near my class,

"Ne, komapsumnida.." I bowed slightly then he gave back the notes to me. I headed back to class, welcomed by Jiyeon and Hara who seemed uninterested with whatever I was doing and continued browsing their magazine.

"Welcome back. Took you so long to get here," was all they said. I watched them giggling and chatting.

So those friends whom you said are important... 

"What are you guys looking at?" I joined their conversation and they showed me some street styles in the magazine, asking my opinion on which one is better.

Even so, this is much better than when I'm completely left alone. At least I don't feel empty at all, right..

This was the first time that I was actually thinking about things like this. Whether I will be feeling empty from it.

Wait.. Did I just opened my heart to oppa? Did I?

...

Well, that can't be. It was just somethin I heard from someone I knew in the past. I'm just bothered by it, that's all.

"Hmm, Seohyunnie, is there something in your pocket?" Hara suddenly asked.

"Oh, this?" I took the keroro keychain out. "I got it from Sulli-sshi."

"Eww, it's gross Seohyunnie! Since when did you guys become chummy together?" Jiyeon gave me a weird laugh.

"Well, she was eating lunch by herself and I happened to saw her.."

"Ah, so she wasn't eating with her friends! So it was a lie after all," Jiyeon said.

"Well, she often seems like the type that wouldbe completely gine on her own though," Hara added. They laughed at her.

Thank you, Seohyun-sshi, for talking to me, the other day and today too..

"I wonder if that's really true.." I felt somewhat guilty talking about her like this after remembering what she said to me.

"Well, what is wrong, Seohyunnie? Even if she doesn't want to be all alone, she can always go to those guys who are head over heels for her," Jiyeon answered cooly. "And then she'll be fine! The way she changes her attitude whenever she deals with the guys is just plain scheming." And that did it.

"But you don't really have to say that she's scheming. Aren't we the same We also want the guys to thing that we are adorable. So we can't really blame her for doing those things, when we're also like that, right?" I snapped but tried to maintain my composure.

"Huh? But we never did those things just for the guys to think of us like that!" Jiyeon tried to defended herself. "I wasn't talking about that anyway. I just really dislike it when girls are like that, aigoo," she sighed.

"Then it will be better if we just leave her alone. ANd we wouldn't be feeling somewhat envious to her. If you keep bad-mouthing someone, you might feel like as if you are on a higher position that that person. But in actual fact, it is completely wrong to do so!" Well, at least all those years reading self-enrichment books paid off. 

"...." Jiyeon and Hara stared at me. It seemed that what I just did was unbelievable. But then I realized it.

OH.MY.GOD. I just snapped. This is bad this is bad this is bad.. Seohyun pabo! Why can't you maintain yourself not to get into trouble!

"The fact that you dislike me.." I heard a voice beside me. It was Sulli. "Means that I'm actually existent within the depths of your conscience, right?"

"Serves you right!" she gave them the so called million-dollar-smile. I was wondering whether she was crazy or not until I noticed her hands trembling.

"What the hell.. It makes people feels so bad," Jiyeon said while standing up, followed by Hara. "Seohyun, I finally realized your true feelings regarding our friendship." And they walked off, leaving the attention from the whole class to me and Sulli.

And it ended.. What am I even doing? I just wish not to be ostracized by the rest.

Even I fought so hard to get where I am now..

I guess I'm just a pabo.

 

Hello everyone! Sorry for the late updates! I'll try my best to update soon, okay?

Please do leave your comments below ^^

Yongseo fighting!