Page 1

The Days of Our Youth

I'll always remember... I'll never forget, how you took my breath away, the first time we met.

No matter what happens... no matter what we do, I'll always remember the first time I saw you.

~Unknown

I walked through the corridors with some of my friends, being cautious enough not to bump in to any male species.

I have always disliked boys. I was not sure when it started but my hate towards them grew even more ever since I got into high school. I can't stand them at all. I mean, they are violent..

and noisy..

and uncivilized..

In general, the worst species ever.

However, in the midst of those worst species, was him, Jung Yong Hwa, a student from the neighboring class.

He was.. different. He had a small built, and his voice was soothing and beautiful, just like a melody coming from piano keys. I guess that's why he was.. okay.

I took a little glance at him shyly as I walked pass him. I guessed he must have noticed me, again.

Whenever our eyes meet, without fail, we'll look away once. And then, our eyes will meet again, making me blushed as red as tomato, while exchanging shy smiles.

***

"Joo hyun, let's go home!" Hae Rin called me as soon as the bell rang. I smiled and nodded.

With our usual group of girls, consisting of Hae Rin, Eun Bi, Ha Ni and me, we walked to our usual hangout place, a small and cozy ddeokbokki store, only to notice a group of guys seemed to have fun at the park near our school.

"Ya, Hae Rin, isn't that Ji Hoo?" Eun Bi pointed to the tallest in the group, which get an immediate attention from Hae Rin. Ji Hoo, afterall, is her crush.

"Omo, that's Ji Hoo and his group. What are they doing there?" Ha Ni also noticed the group. I, however, remained uninterested to the topic of those guys who seemed to be the high school's most wanted first years.

"Ji Hoo ah! Annyeong! What are you guys doing?" Hae Rin was the first to shout and waved at them.

"Oh, Hae Rin! We want to play hide and seek now, are you guys joining us?" Ji Hoo answered cheerfully while the other guys looking at us.

"Whaaat? Are you an elementary school kids? Ya, choding!" Hae Rin, who now stood beside Ji Hoo, tried to use her aegyo to the fullest. I followed silently from behind, clearly feeling uncomfortable. "But we are joining, right, girls?" The next line by Hae Rin gave me a shock.

"I know you are feeling uncomfortable Joo Hyun ah, but please, just this time? Help me to get close to Ji Hoo, please?" She pleaded to me using her aegyo which, of course, had no effect on me. Only then I noticed a pair of dark brown eyes staring at me worriedly.

He is here. I thought silently, unconciously giving Hae Rin a small nod. I saw him smiled, welcoming me to their game.

After the team was divided, I ran to find a good hiding spot. I went to the furthest bushes while panting heavily but someone was there before me.

Jung Yong Hwa.

He was surprised as much as me. We stared at each other for a while before I realized we were still playing the hide and seek game.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'll go to find another hiding spot" I bowed at him before preparing to dash again, but I was halted by a sudden contact in my hand pulling me down.

"They are coming already, just stay here, it's fine," he smiled at me.

"Ah, ne... Komapsumnida.." I sat beside him. He chuckled at me, showing his infamous snaggle tooth and I looked at him, questioning his action.

"Ah, mianhae. It's just that.. have you always been so formal?" he asked.

I nodded to his question. "Especially since we haven't formally introduced ourselves.."

"I'm Jung Yong Hwa, from class 1-2. Nice to know you, Seo Joo Hyun," he smiled while calling my name so casually.

"N-ne.. Jung.. Yong... O-oppa.." I bet my face was as red as tomato now.

"Jung Yong Oppa? Oppa? Am I older than you?"

"Ne.. I'm two years younger than most of my classmates. So.."

"Ah, ahrasseo. Then it's okay, you can call me Jung Yong Oppa, although it's a bit funny," he chuckled.

I was taken aback. He was such a gentle person. We have never talked before so I felt a bit awkward.

"Joo Hyun, lay low! Someone is coming to our direction!" he whispered suddenly, facing to other direction, causing me to face his back. He was too close to me, yet I remain unmoving. I caught his smell, a smell that makes me feel comfortable around him.

"Guys, I think someone is hiding behind those bushes!" someone shouted not far from out location.

"Tsk" I heard him panicking. "Joo Hyun, stay there. I'll go and distract them," he immediately sprinted after warning me.

"Ya! Jung Yong Hwa! I knew it! You were there! Stop running!! GUYS HELP ME CATCH HIM!" the previous person shouted at us was now chasing him. He got caught in the end, after a few struggles.

I peeked through the bushes, seeing him sitting alone at the bench. I wanted to free him but then something caught my attention.

"ASD(*@(@*Q#&(*!!! CATERPILLAR!!!!!!" I shouted, unknowingly revealing my location.

"Seo Joo Hyun, gotcha!" it was Eun Bi. She dragged me to the 'prison' where Jung Yong oppa was. He chuckled looking at my pouting face and I can't help but to laugh too. He had this effect on me.

After that game, we grew closer to each other. Instead of exchanging silent glances, we were greeting each other happily.

***

I ran to the nearest bus stop when it started to rain heavily. My house was nearby but me without umbrella didn't help me to get home.

"Ahh, really. now my uniform is all wet!" I mentally slapped myself for forgetting to bring my umbrella. I heard someone chuckled at me so I looked at the owner of the familiar voice. "OMO! Jung Yong Oppa! Annyeonghaseo!" I bowed at him.

"Annyeong, Joo Hyun ah," I blushed hearing him calling me so informally. "It's pouring all of a sudden, huh?" I nodded.

"Here, Joo Hyun, use this to dry yourself," he gave me his gym t-shirt. "Don't worry, I've never used that t-shirt.. more than once," he laughed at my startled expression.

Ah, so he can also be this playful. I thought to myself. "Thank you, oppa. This is better than nothing," I smiled at him while wiping my hair with his t-shirt. I noticed his familiar smell on it, making my heart beat faster.

"Ung... Oppa?"

"Ne?"

"Do you want to go to a coffee shop together after exam?"

"Huh?"

"A-ani. It's just that I want to thank you for letting me using your gym clothes.." Pabo, you should have just told him you want to go for a date!

He stayed silent as I feel more embarassed.

"Ung, If you don't want to go, it's fine oppa. I can go with Eun Bi, Hye rin and Ha Ni. And, oh, the rain is not as heavy now, so I'll be going first. Thank you, Oppa, See you tomorrow," I bowed before running away from him, feeling embarassed.

***

The next day..

"Jung Yong Oppa!" I called him.

"Oh, Joo Hyun ah!" he answered while walking to his classroom's door, where I stand.

"Here, thank you for your gym clothes. I've washed it nice and clean! And I made some apple snacks for you, Oppa, as a thank you," I gave him a paperbag.

"Oh.. thank you.." he accepted it with smile. "So... Are you free after exam?"

"Ne?"

"Joo Hyun, I wanted to ask you to go with me to the coffee shop you mentioned before. So, are you free after exam or you have made a schedule with your groups?"

"N-ne? Oh, yes, Oppa I'm free," I felt really really happy with his invitation.

"So, we'll meet tomorrow at 7 there, okay?" I nodded with excitement. "See you," he smiled and went back to his seat.

"Omo, what do we have here? Seo Hoo Hyun-sshi? Yaa, what are you doing with Yong Hwa~~?" Ji Hoo, who suddenly appeared out of nowhere, asked me curiously.

"It's nothing Ji Hoo-sshi," I answered plainly.

"Nothing? Really~~? What's going on between you two? Come on, tell me~"

Ugh, he is so annoying

"Joo Hyun-sshi~~??"

"I said nothing, okay! This is why I hate boys. All of you are so annoying!" I snapped, only too late to realize that Jung Yong oppa also heard me. I saw his expression changed.

Pabo Joo Hyun! You should have controlled yourself more! Now he heard me, he must have think that I'm annoying.

"Yo, chill out, girl. I don't mean to annoy you," Ji Hoo said apologetically.

He will still come, right? Tomorrow, at 7. Tomorrow..

I ignored Ji Hoo and went back to my class.

***

I rushed back home after exam. Today is the promised day. Although it's still 3 o'clock, I feel anxious and checked everything again.

I feel like a girl who will be having his first date...

... I stayed silent for a while. Thinking deeply.

He.. Will come, right?

I shrugged off my thoughts and started preparing for today's date meeting.

Clothes-checked

Hair-checked

Make up- a bit plain but checked

Shoes-checked

Bags-checked.

I'm ready.

seohyun-50-jpg.jpg

I brought along the current book I'm reading : 'No One Will Live Your Life For You'.

"Omma, Appa, I'm going out!" I went out to the cafe.

It was still 6.30, 30 minutes before the supposed time I met him.

"One goguma latte, please," I placed my order and sat at my favourite spot near the window.

He will spot me here, right? After all he can see me from the outside.

I was too immersed in my book while enjoying a sip of goguma latte once in a while, not realizing how much time has passed.

"Miss, I'm sorry, we need to close now," the waitress's voice awaken me from my enjoyment and left a pang in my heart.

It was 10 o'clock... and he never came.

***

Maybe he was busy.

Maybe he doesn't know how to contact me, after all we don't exchange our numbers.

Maybe he didn't mean to left me alone there.

He is not that kind of person, doesn't he?

He is now mad at me, right?

I grew more and more anxious each day, worried that he might be mad after hearing what I said before and convincing myself that he didn't meant to make me wait.

I didn't enjoy my holiday and wished for the school days to begun. Afterall, school is the only place where I could meet him.

But reality said otherwise.

"Ji Hoo sshi, what did you say?" I asked him again in disbelief. 

"Yong Hwa has gone back to Busan, Joo Hyun sshi. He transferred during the end of last semester and no one was notified about this until today. We don't know her address and telephone number either," Ji Hoo repeated his words. I felt my knees weakened and tried hard to hold back my tears.

"Ahrasseo. Thank you for the information, Ji Ho-sshi." I ran back to my class. I had a hard time concentrating to the rest of the lesson. I went back home as soon as the bell rang.

I found myself in a similar situation, seeking shelther at a bus stop to avoid the sudden downpour. The only difference was, he wasn't there.

I felt tears ran through my cheek as I remember him.

Oppa...

I looked at the sky.

What should I do? I want to meet him right now...

Will I never see him again?

Will he come back to Seoul?

I like him...

It was vague and fumbling, but I like him.

I couldn't stop my tears anymore.

But, nothing ever even started. Nothing at all..

Oppa.. right now..

What kind of face are you making?

 

 

Note:

Hello!!!

Finally it's finished, after a few hours of struggle lol.

Sorry for the long first chapter!

I hope you'll enjoy it.

I hope I can update tomorrow, but that will depend on my assignment hehe. Hopefully I can update the story soon ^^

please leave some comments guys! 

Thank you for reading this (and, no, its not over yet. this story still has a long way to go ^^)