TWENTY

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With Jiyong's hand tightly clutched around her waist, they walk gingerly behind. 

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Jiyong murmured in her ears. "Dad totally likes you and my cousins adore you." 

"I wouldn't say the same for your mom and Sung Kyoung. And we can't take that for granted, considering we're actually here to convince your mom to stop meddling with your life." Dara pouted. 

"Hmm, we don't know that yet." He beamed at her. 

She winced, "Yeah right, your mom appeared more resolved now into marrying you off with another girl." She retorted as they walk up to a large, airy hallway. 

Jiyong glanced down at her, "We need more time. I don't think she can be swayed from that but we will still put up a good fight. Actually I don't even think I can even do it anymore. Not in this lifetime, not since you came." His eyes were dark with depths. 

Confused, she was about to ask him what he meant when he suddenly lifted her to his chest and she squealed.

Mr. Kwon turned abruptly around, "You guys okay?" He sounded puzzled but amused. 

Jiyong swung her to his side and grinned while nodding in reassurance at his father, his cousins and mom halted from the long march as well. "Yes Dad, we're just having a little fun here." 

"You're insane, put me down." She murmured against his neck where she buried her face in mortification. 

"I will. If you promise to let me kiss you again." His face was a mere inch or two away from hers. She glowered back at him. 

SERIOUSLY?! 

HOW CAN THIS PUNK EVEN MAKE FUN OF HER AT THIS TIME? 

"Come on, you did like it right?" 

"Liked what?" She replied apathetically. 

"My lips. Our kiss." He bit his lip, smirking at her. 

DAMN THIS EVIL MONGREL! 

She tried ignoring his chaff. "Stop this shenanigan and put me down, your mom will just hate me more." 

"No. Just admit it first." 

"Kwon you're being illogically childish!" 

"Uh-hmm." He bobbed his head.

"Oh screw you!" She wheezes. "Fine! I liked it alright? Now can you act your age and let me walk on my feet before your mom throws me out of your house?" She muttered, flailing her legs weakly. 

"Promise you'll let me kiss you whenever I like?" He added.

WHAT THE HELL, WHAT? 

HAS HE LOST HIS NUTS?!?!

She studied his face for two seconds and he didn't look like he was joking. Not at all. 

"Ugh. Okay! Okay. Have it your way, now PUT ME DOWN!" 

"Sure thing, baby girl." Jiyong released her back on her feet before swiftly pulling her for a quick kiss. "Sealed." 

MOTHER OF GRASS! 

Jiyong grabbed her hand once again, leading her to wherever in the enormous place the dinner is taking place. Her mind ponders on how he could want to kiss her all the time and even insist on it if he's gay? Could he really be biual? Or could it be that he's changing his preference now? Maybe there's still hope he'd fall for a girl in the end. 

Oh boy, what was she thinking. 

Dara terminated her thoughts, holy diggety, clearly another headache is well on its way. 

 

 


GD


The moment they stepped in the dining hall, his mom launched his full attack on Dara, channeling all her strength in sending signals to him that she's clearly disapproving and unhappy with his decision. Even Sung Kyoung insisted he should go to a shrink in case he was mentally impaired for choosing Dara as his girlfriend. 

Unbelievable.

'What do they even know about her? Nothing and yet they were too quick to deduce her.'

It amazes him how Dara was effortlessly able to remain stoic, whereas his temper was slipping away fast. His cousin is seriously infuriating him. He wouldn't just sit and let her take barbs from them, she doesn't deserve any of it. He retorted by pointedly touching on Sung Kyoung's poor judgment of character since she ran away with some gangster just a couple years ago who ended up abandoning her anyway. It was a low blow that somehow caught his mom and cousin off guard but like he said, he will not allow ANYBODY to revile Dara. 

Sung Kyoung sat in silence and offered nothing in defense for the rest of the evening, much to his relief. There was no further argument but regardless of that, he never left Dara. He only had to separate himself once when he needed to use the washroom. 

He was out of the loo in a flash and hurriedly saunters back to the hall, worried for Dara. Sung Kyoung straight off appeared in front of him on the entrance with a big, triumphant smile on her face. 

'What now?' 

"Oppa, come along now, Kiko is here! You should definitely meet her!" She grabbed his arm and led him back to the table. 

"We've already met." He replied in a casual tone. 

Upon hearing his voice, Kiko turned to him, smiling with her perfect white teeth. She nearly ran up to him. She had her jet-black hair curled into loose waves about her ears length and full ruby-red lips. She is one hot chick, yes. But he's only got the hots for someone else now. 

Dara. 

"Kwon Jiyong" she his arm and moved her face closer to him, her voice too smooth it made him flinch. 

Jiyong somehow managed a small smile. "Hey there, Kiko. Nice to see you again." 

He was distracted right away when he caught a glimpse of Dara indulging herself in a conversation with his Dad. He's fondly laughing at something she said. Well it wouldn't be hard to believe that's how easily she won his old man. She's the kind who draws people in with little effort, disarming them with her charms. And she doesn't even realize it. 

Dara wore her heart on her sleeve. And that makes her vulnerable to anyone crude enough to chop it off and trample on it but it also made her all the more special. She could be the strongest girl but she's not capable of many blows. He saw how she steels herself against his mom and cousin's cold reception and continued to smile through it. It made his chest constrict in a painful way. The last thing he wanted was to add up to her plate. He will not let anybody hurt her while he still had breath left in his body. 

But what if it was him who'd end up hurting her? 

He glanced at her again and didn't miss the variety of animated expressions on her face when she saw him talking to Kiko. 

Did he just see a speck of jealousy in her eyes? 

Sensing her sudden uneasiness, he abruptly rushed back to Dara after, not hearing the rest of Kiko's speech. 

 


DARA


Dinner was great except for the number of insinuating remarks Sung Kyoung threw her way. Heck, she almost lost count of them if it weren't for Jiyong giving his dear cousin an iron-clad blow. Ha Eun was nicer than her twin sister but too quiet to probably even ridicule her. 

For the past two hours, Mino was b with stories and jokes, he was undeniably witty and adorable. Dara almost forgot about their whole theatrical act until Mrs. Kwon got bored and decided to interrogate her and Jiyong about their relationship. Jiyong mostly answered and she only added bits to them which were too generic but no one seemed to notice. 

When Jiyong excused himself for the washroom, his dad kept her on with a conversation about politics which she knew well from her parents' career background. The old man had a pleasing personality, much like Jiyong and she instantly relaxed around him. 

Her peaceful state of mind didn't last long though when a slim woman in a sultry red dress marched in the hall, urgently making Dara want to howl bloody murder.

KIKO MIZUHARA. 

HURR DURR. 

Sung Kyoung jumped in excitement and just as Jiyong was walking back in, she nearly hoisted the fish on her back and threw her right in his direction. 

'That's two strikes for you now, fish. Make it three so I can go plot your execution already.' Her eyes turning into tiny slits. 

'Wait what? What did he said? NICE SEEING HER AGAIN?!?!?' 

YOU'RE DEAD, JIYONG. Oh you are SO dead! 

'You insufferable twerp! I'll butcher you first!' 

She casted another scowl at Jiyong who was on his way back to their table now. The fish trailing behind him like a total meow. 

Mr. Kwon glanced in their direction. He turned to her, laughing softly, "Don't worry sweetheart. Jiyong will never be that stupid." His eyes glinting with a knowing light.

She snapped her head at him, addled. "I'm sorry, Mr. Kwon, what did you say?" 

"That friend of Sung Kyoung is wasting her time. My Jiyong will never fall for her kind, sweetheart." He gently patted her hand that was resting on the table, giving her a warm smile. "And please call me Appa." 

Dara nodded and smiled back. Her heart squeezing with guilt. 

"He has never brought a girl home. Never even dated. And although your relationship with him now has made my wife uneasy, believe me I am grateful to you because I can see he's happy for the first time. He's different around you. I've never seen him smile this way. I know he's a handful but that kid is a Kwon, so let me tell you this, I am certain you're the only girl in his life now. And he will love you and take care of you. I should know." The old man chuckled. 

"Yeah, I can see that, Sir. Whoever will end up with him will have the best from both sides of the world." She nodded, replying with a tint of bitterness. "Um, appa." She grinned. 

"In his heart I know you're that lucky girl. He will have to endure a lot if he's going to fight for you. It pains me to see him struggle through the consequences of what we have done in the past. He's my only child. I wish I could do more for him. I'm still trying to figure out how to take him out of this mess. I'm really sorry, Dara. Please be patient and stay with him while I sort this out." He sighed.

Her heart swelled with affection for the old man. She tightened her grip on her arm, she feels her soul burning in hell now. If only he knew. It would be a lost cause because Jiyong isn't in love with her. He's going to break his dad's heart and sadly, she's part of this deception. 

How will she keep up with this sham relationship any longer? She understands Jiyong's predicament and his frustration but she still can't shake the thoughts that they're and bull story is going to do more damage than repair. She felt the sting of tears but quickly blinked them away and forced a smile "I promise not to push him out of a building every time he gets on my nerves. And.. to never let Kiko snatch him away." She winked at him, attempting to lighten up the air again. 

He let out an easy laugh as Jiyong settled back on his seat next to hers. The chatter continues and Kiko joined them, seating across from her and Jiyong. Mino was still animatedly talking about his passion in music and how his band is currently working on a new album. 

"Hyung, will you take Dara noona to visit us at our studio sometimes?" Mino asked Jiyong, biting his lips anxiously. He simpered at Dara. 

Jiyong widely grinned, squinting at her. "Yeah sure. If she likes to." 

"That's nice of you, Mino. Of course we will." She smiled brightly at him. 

"It's just some petty music him and his friends are working on." Sung Kyoung rolled her eyes at Dara, "But it'll probably be something a girl like you can relate to." She jeers. 

Dara mentally cringed and tightened her lips together. She can feel the last strand of her patience ebbing away. "Please accept my apologies Sung Kyung, but I don't think Mino deserves any of your mockery so I would appreciate it if you would just direct them all to me." 

"What is wrong with you? Why are you taunting Dara like a brat, Sung Kyoung?" Jiyong's voice has become extremely cold and dangerously low. "Leave Mino out of this and stop insulting my girlfriend!" 

"Then why were you even so insensitive to begin with, oppa? You knew the deal, you knew Auntie will be upset and you still brought that girl here! For what? To rub it in that you're now defying the elders' wishes? You're wasting all of our time. You know this is useless." Sung Kyoung burst out. "You're mad at me now for some lowly girl you will have to leave in the end anyway!" She pointed an accusing finger on Dara. "I've never seen a girl as naive as you are, you're dumb if you think you will end up marrying him!"

Jiyong puffed, looking utterly affronted now and Mrs. Kwon anxiously ran to his side, running a hand on his arm. "Son, please calm down, don't scare your cousin. We've always known she can be this..feisty." 

He gave his mom a withering glare as he stood and gently pulling Dara up. "Feisty? She is plain disrespectful! You did not have an ounce of decency to welcome MY GIRLFRIEND in our house like the well-schooled people that you shamelessly brag about. You kept attacking her all night with all your snide remarks. You even invited another girl to antagonize her." He drew in another breath and eyed Kiko. "And now you hurl more insults at her when you don't eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter