After School

His Notes

“Oh you’ve done it this time!”

I rubbed my eyes sleepily, what did I do wrong now?

“What’s wrong mum?”

She looked at me angrily with her hands on her hips.

“The kitchen?”

“What about it?”

She rolled her eyes and huffed. She was really pissed at something… maybe it was her time of the month…

“Did you not see the note!?”

I thought back, I didn’t see anything.

“No…”

She stomped her foot, and it made me jump. She didn’t care.

“You were supposed to wash the dishes and make me a cake! Now I’m going to have to go out and buy one with your money!”

“No! I’ll make a cake right now…”

“Oh really?”

I nodded my head. She really was a scary woman, I hated the fact that I was related to her. I’d rather be at dad’s, but he has his new girlfriend over when I’m not there. He thinks I don’t know, but I do. You kinda know there has been another woman at your home when the toilet paper and sanitary devices have changed brands. They’re not very good either…

“So you think you can just come home and sleep for three hours until I come home?”

Three hours? Crap… I looked at my phone to check the time, it had been three hours, why the hell did I sleep for that long!?

“Oh, don’t act all innocent, like you didn’t know you were asleep that long!”

“But I didn-“

“Nuh uh! No talking back to your mother!”

“But-“

“NO! GO AND MAKE THE CAKE!”

I got up and ran to the kitchen to start making the cake. I pulled out everything, but the eggs. I couldn’t find any eggs.

“Mum! I’m going out to get some eggs for your cake!”

“Better make it a chocolate cake! And decorate it with chocolate!”

“Ok…”

“And you’re paying with your own money, not mine!”

Ugh, great. Now you’ll never be able to buy some new headphones. You quickly changed into some proper clothes and put on your cardigan. It was a good thing the shops were only 20 minutes away. I put in my earphones and put on some music.

I got up to the shops, and went on a hunt for the eggs and chocolate. I found the eggs, then went off to the cake aisle. I browsed for the right icing sugar, and then I got to the decorations. I reached out to grab some sprinkles, when I felt another person’s hand on top of mine. I immediately slid my hand out and apologised, bowing my head a little.

“Oh, I’m sorry…”

“Hey! It’s ok!”

His voice was cheery, and I recognised it from somewhere. I looked up, and it was him!

“Oh my gosh… I’m sorry…”

“Hey, why do you always hide behind your apologies? It should be me saying sorry, your hand was there first…”

I looked into his eyes, he was so nice. But why was he being nice to me?

He grabbed the packet of sprinkles and threw it into my basket.

“I don’t think we got each other’s names…”

“No… I don’t think so…”

“Um, well, my name is Junghong, but my friends call me Zelo…”

Zelo had a nice ring to it. It suited him too!

“That a cool nickname! I’m Kristen…”

I smiled brightly, and he smiled back.

Some cute older woman yelled out his birth name, and he turned around and waved.

“I’ve got to go now, my mum is waiting…”

“Oh, ok… bye!”

“See you tomorrow!”

He waved at me before dashing off again. He was so handsome… and so polite too. He had usually been pretty shy around people other than his friends, but maybe he thought I was a friend now too?

 

<><><> Zelo’s P.O.V. <><><>

 

I was waiting out the front of school for my mum to pick me up, I had some music on to pass the time. I put on my favourite R&B song, and then I put my phone in my pocket and looked out to the road for my mum’s car. I saw the girl from earlier, she had her music on too, I wonder what she likes listening too? I kept looking at her, she seemed a little sad. I wonder what was bothering her, I hope it wasn’t my little drawings…

“Junghong! Hello, we haven’t got all day!”

Mum had honked the horn of the car, and I quickly ran to her and sat in the back seat behind my brother. After I got my seatbelt on, he looked in the sun visor mirror at me.

“What?”

“Who were you looking at?”

“Excuse me!?”

He smiled at me, he knew what was up.

“You don’t zone out unless you’re doing homework… or looking at a girl!”

“Ya! Mind your own business!”

Mum had stopped the car at the red light. She turned around and smiled.

“Is she cute?”

My brother turned around too.

“She wouldn’t have been ugly or he wouldn’t stare like that!”

“Ya! Stop it! She is cute enough ok!? Can you just both leave me alone?”

Mum laughed a little at herself as she turned around just in time for the green light. I wasn’t so bothered about her, but my brother was going to use this against me…

We got home and I ran straight to my room to do some homework. I finished the easy stuff, but then I tried hard to work on the difficult stuff…

I was completely in my own world, trying to focus on how to solve this problem. I didn’t even notice mum walk in and stand in the doorway.

“Hey, Jonghong, would you like to come do the groceries with me?”

I turned around, I was a little grumpy after spending forever trying to finish my homework.

“Can’t you go by yourself? You’re a big girl…”

“Yes, and because I’m a big girl I’m worried that you’ve spent too long on your homework…”

“I haven’t been here too long, it’s only been about an hour.”

“More like three…”

“Really…?”

Mum nodded. I rolled my eyes and slumped back in my chair jokingly. She smiled at me, and then spoke.

“I’ll make a study cake for you to eat tomorrow after school! You can choose what I decorate it with.”

I sat up and reached for my jacket.

“Ok, but I’m grabbing the sprinkles!”

We both laughed as we went to the car and started out drive to the shops. When we were about halfway there, mum started to talk about the girl again.

“So, do you know her name?”

I looked at her annoyed.

“Really mum? Can you just drop it, please?”

“But I want to know!”

I sighed to let her know I really wanted her to stop. She did, but then after a moment of silence she broke it.

“She isn’t one of the nasty popular girls is she?”

“Mum!”

“I just don’t want her to be a mean girl, you don’t need a mean girl hanging around your head…”

“She hangs out with those girls, but she is really shy, and nice, ok? I’m not stupid you know!”

“Ok, ok… just calm down… and smile now! I don’t want to walk in and have you looking like I just kidnapped you and dragged you here against your will!”

I laughed a little, and I kept smiling for mum. I wouldn’t have her any other way, even if she was annoying sometimes.

We walked around grabbing cake stuff, and other groceries for the next couple of weeks. We got to the cake aisle, and I started to make my way down the aisle.

“I’ll go grab the sprinkles!”

“Oh, Jonghong, grab some chocolate and m&m’s too please, I’ll just get the right cake mix.”

“Ok mum!”

I made my way down the aisle. I wanted to get the sprinkles first, and I found them. I reached out to grab them, but then I realised there was another hand under mine. I lifted my hand off, but the other person had already slipped their hand out quickly.

“Oh, I’m sorry…”

It was the girl who read my notes!

“Hey! It’s ok!”

She had her head low, but when she heard my voice she looked up. She looked really upset about something, but she hid her face and apologised again.

“Oh my gosh… I’m so sorry…”

Why was she so apologetic? It’s not like she hurt me or anything…

“Hey, why do you always hide behind your apologies? It should be me saying sorry, your hand was there first…”

She looked up at me, she looked a little startled. Why was she so nervous around me? I wasn’t even being that polite, hadn’t she ever heard manners before?

I decided to grab the packet of sprinkles, and I threw it into her basket. It looked like she was making a cake too.

She looked at the packet I just threw, and then back at me startled. What was wrong with her, you’d think no one had ever been nice to her before…

“I don’t think we got each other’s names…”

She went all shy again. I was shy too, so I didn’t mind that much.

“No… I don’t think so…”

“Um, well, my name is Junghong, but my friends call me Zelo…”

Her face lit up when she heard me say my nickname. I liked my nickname too.

“That’s a cool nickname, I’m Kristen…”

She flashed a big smile at me. Her smile eyes were really pretty, so I smiled back. Then my mum started to call me. I turned around and waved to let her know I heard her.

I turned back to Kristen and told her I had to go.

“I’ve got to go now, my mum is waiting…”

“Oh, ok… bye!”

“See you tomorrow!”

I waved to her and ran off to mum. We walked around to the next aisle to finish off the rest of the groceries.

“Was that her?”

“Mum!”

“But was that her? She is really cute!”

“I told you she was cute…”

Mum squeezed me and lowered her voice a little.

“She looks really nice, you should ask her out if you like her…”

“Mum!”

“I’m just saying…”

She let go of me and grabbed a can off the shelf. We walked for a few minutes longer in silence, but then I asked mum something.

“How did you know that was her?”

She smiled at her list without even looking up.

“Because you didn’t grab the sprinkles…”

Oh crap! The sprinkles…

“Be right back!”

She knew where I was off to, and I ran to grab the sprinkles and other stuff.

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

 

I might do a few more P.O.V. changes throughout the story, so sorry if they get annoying…

But a big thank you for reading this far! Hope you all enjoy it so far and read my next chapters!