Chapter 4 - Family

"Umma!" "Appa!"

Chapter 4

OMIGOODNESS WHAT I ALREADY REACHED DOUBLE DIGITS IN SUBSCRIBERS?! THANK YOU SO MUCH! This chapter is 1 page longer or maybe more…

 

I also need to get some plot running through this story. Writing ‘cute’ chapters aren’t really my style. I write more OMGWTF-WHY-YOU-DO-THIS kind of chapters.

 

Oh by the way, have any of you guys seen this tumblr; http://asianfanfic.tumblr.com? I find the site itself pretty hilarious actually. Although it does bash a fair amount of stories it is actually pretty helpful for all writers. It tells you not what to do. So avoid cliché plot lines, do not change your font colours, avoid Comic Sans MS, write with proper grammar and please check all your spelling mistakes.

 

I like to think of that site as the most honest reviewer you will ever receive.

 

“… and that’s how we became Hyungshik’s adopted parents.” Dongwoon explained to the 4 adults. There was a moment of pause and our parents began muttering amongst one another. My parents paused for a moment. “You guys can keep Hyungshik, but whose last name is he going to take?” My mom asked excitedly. I can tell she was waiting for a grandson for a long time. “Dongwoon’s I guess.” I mumbled. “He is the father.” I heard Dongwoon’s father say. I glanced up and he was trying to keep the smile from his face.

 

Dongwoon’s mother frowned slightly. “Are you guys even dating?” She asked. “No.” We both replied. “Dongwoon is one of oppa’s best friends.” I explained to them. “We know.” They both chuckled. My mom just shook her head with a small smile on her face. I knew she would have preferred if Dongwoon was my twin instead of Dujun. For one, Dongwoon never came home with grass strains on his pants from playing soccer. Also Dongwoon acted very much like a gentleman. Dujun’s manners weren’t well, business class yet. “Isn’t Hyori dating him?” My dad added. Dongwoon shook his head. “Nah, we broke up today.” He shrugged. Dongwoon’s mother smiled a bit more.

 

“Where is he going to stay? How are you guys going to take care of him?” Dongwoon’s parents continued. Dongwoon took in a deep breath. “If it’s alright with you guys, can Hyungshik stay with us? I don’t want to burden the Yoon’s since they already have 5 people living here.” He explained. My mother beamed at Dongwoon’s consideration while I mentally rolled my eyes. They should have known after all these years that Dongwoon was always a considerate and mannered boy, much unlike my older brother.

 

Dongwoon’s father scooted next to Dongwoon. Hyungshik stared at Dongwoon’s father for a while. Dongwoon slid Hyungshik over to his dad. Hyungshik could tell it was someone who was nice since he began smiling a bit. “Look! He’s smiling at me!” Dongwoon’s father smiled brightly. He looked like a kid who just entered into a candy store. The parents began crowding around Hyungshik and Hyungshik started feeling uncomfortable. “Umma, umma!” He whispered just enough for Dongwoon’s dad to hear.

 

“He wants you.” Dongwoon’s dad said as he passed Hyungshik over to me. I began walking around the apartment with Hyungshik in my arms.

 

Dongwoon’s POV

 

She actually looked normal for once. Dujun’s sister I mean. She actually, looked like a teenage girl. I remembered every time I came here she seemed like she was a year older than Dujun. She was always studious. From what Dujun told me she wasn’t really smart but she was just very studious. She and I used to be good friends before but we lost contact despite the fact that I was best friends with her brother. “Dongwoon , would you and your family want to stay over for dinner? There are more things about Hyungshik I would like to discuss altogether.” Dae’s father requested. I nodded.

 

Her father was the scary one in the family. Most people would think it would be Dujun or Dae, but they were the copies. Her father was the creator of the infamous ‘Yoon’ stare. I shuddered slightly at the thought when I remembered I stole Dujun’s soccer ball and deflated it for April Fool’s day.

 

Dujun came out of his room and peeked through the peephole before letting in Yoseop, Gikwang, Hyunseung and Junhyung in. “YOON DUJUN! Why did you bring in more people?” His mother scolded. She didn’t have to act nice around them because they have been over to his place enough to the point where she would treat us like her own sons. Dujun told me that she liked me the best because I was always polite and greeted everybody in the house even though in returned I’d receive only a slight nod or a wave of a hand.

 

“Umma! We came because we missed you, and your cooking!” Yoseop greeted, with his little cute act. She sighed a bit and ruffled Yoseop’s hair. “Okay, but not too loud. I’m assuming Dujun told you everything.” They all nodded their heads like little bobble head figurines. “Hyungshik and Dae are over there.”

 

“… and that’s where I go to school. If you squint enough you’ll be able to see it.” Dae was telling to Hyungshik. They all stayed a couple feet away from them. Hyunseung took out his phone and began taking pictures. “Isn’t that adorable?” Gikwang said smiling at the scene. I pushed Hyunseung forward. It was known between us that he had a small crush on Dae. Most people would have though Junhyung liked her since they tend to be quiet and they seemed rather bored in class. However when you actually knew them they could be very friendly. Key word, could.

 

“Eh… Dae-shi.” Hyunseung began.

 

Dae’s POV

 

I turned around and saw Hyunseung. “Oh hey Hyunseung.” I replied in a bored tone. I couldn’t keep up an ‘umma’ act for very long. It was too tiring. Also it wasn’t natural for me. “How… How’s it going?” He asked nervously, rubbing the back of his head. “Alright I guess.” I turned to Hyungshik whose blinks were lasting longer. “Excuse me.” I said as I walked past him. I entered into my room where I placed Hyungshik’s stroller. I placed him in there while I found another blanket for him. I found a stuffed tiger toy and placed it next to him. I began walking out of the room. However, something felt off.

 

I walked over to Hyungshik who was asleep while hugging the tiger. “Sweet dreams Hyungshik.” I whispered softly. I kissed his forehead lightly, turned off my lights and left my room. An unconscious smile was coming onto my face.

 

Dujun walked over to where I was. “Did you put him to sleep?” He whispered. I nodded. He smiled brightly. “Come on guys! We’re going to the park!” He ordered. Then there was chaos. I saw them all running to the door and stuffing their feet into their shoes. Dujun grabbed my hand while Junhyung grabbed my other hand. I managed to slip on a pair of shoes. As I was going down the elevator I realized I was still in my school uniform. “Guys, I didn’t even get to change!” I whined slightly.

 

“I’ll treat you to ice cream okay?” Dujun tried. “No. You have to change Hyungshik’s diaper next time.” I muttered angrily. “Come on!” He tried again, putting his best aegyo act. I rolled my eyes. “You know that you can’t do aegyo on me. It doesn’t work. Only Yoseop’s aegyo works but I’m being able to resist it now.” I smirked evilly. I eagerly accepted Junhyung’s high five who was also smirking slightly. I would have to say I’m most like Junhyung out of Dujun’s group of friends. We both liked our own space and were quieter compared to most people.

 

“Dongsaeng, look a squirrel!” Yoseop pointed excitedly. I gave Dujun a look which read ‘Are they really 19?’ who just shrugged in reply. I watched Yoseop chase after the squirrel. “Dae!” A shrilled voice called. We all froze. They all knew that it was one of my least favourite people. After what happened this afternoon, I really didn’t want to see her. I turned around.

 

“Hey Hyori.” I managed to say before I could brush her off. She was no longer in her school uniform but in her regular clothes. “I was about to go to your place you know! As my best friend,” She began. I already gave a mental sigh. Let me explain this in a flashback.

 

Flashback

 

I was sitting in my usual place in math. I was right next to the window with my brother who sat behind me. He was probably doodling new soccer strategies.

 

He didn’t need to study for math, he was good at it. I on the other hand only studied at home. School was for learning but home was for actually grasping the concept.

 

I slowly averted my eyes to the front when the teacher’s voice who was taunting the student that sat beside me. It was quite clear that she didn’t know the answer. With a slight sigh I scribbled down the answer and faked a cough. She glanced over and her eyes widened slightly. She repeated the sine equation and thanks to me her, answer was correct.

 

Finally the bell rang and I was going to my next class. She ran up to me. “Dae!” She called. I gave out a short huff. “Yes?” I asked. It was known that I wasn’t a very sociable person. I only talked to the people who actually took the time to know me. “Thank you so much!” She thanked bowing a full 90 degrees. “You’re welcome.” I replied before walking to my Korean class. She followed me. “You’re so nice! I don’t believe that cold rumor about you.” She began.

 

 I was walking home with Jiyoon that day. Jiyoon was a good friend of mine. Dujun left school earlier because he had a soccer match. “So I saw you and Hyori talking a lot.” She started. I gave out a sigh. “All I did was help her with a math problem and now she’s clinging onto me.” I explained. “She did that to me as well. Don’t worry it will be over in a week or two.” She said trying to give me an encouraging smile.

 

However, Jiyoon was wrong. She’s been clinging on my side ever since. I helped her answer a question in math and now my one kind act towards had resulted towards this? With her by my side, I now had a hyperactive 5 year old who was trapped in a high school student’s body as a ‘friend’. I grew tolerable towards her and naturally some of the walls I built around myself came down. 

 

I was actually interested but I decided not to show it. Humans were curious by nature, it was proved by science! “You should be the first one to know what happened between us!” She finished. I nodded slightly and in the distance I noticed Dongwoon was pushing a stroller in front of him. He too was still in his school uniform but his jacket was removed, his tie loosened and his sleeves were rolled up to reveal a bit of his arms.

 

I averted my attention back to Hyori who suddenly glanced in the direction I was looking at. “OPPA!” She cried shrilly and ran towards him. Dongwoon’s face turned pale as he stared back at me.

 

Third Persons’s POV

 

 “H-h-hyori-ssi.” He managed to say as she engulfed him into a hug. “I never knew you had a baby cousin! How cute!” She squealed from where she was. “I thought I heard something annoying.” Junhyung complained as he looked over at a nervous Dongwoon and a hyper active Hyori.

 

“Hyori-ssi, be quiet. He’s sleeping.” Dongwoon whispered harshly. “Sorry.” She apologized softly. Hyungshik twitched in his sleep while holding onto the stuffed tiger. “Appa.” He mumbled. Dongwoon his hair with a soft and sincere smile on his face. “You better take him to his father quickly.” Hyori whispered, nudging Dongwoon on the side. “There’s no need, he loves me just as much.” Dongwoon said more towards to himself rather than to Hyori. 

 

She furrowed her eyebrows. “Really? Wow, you must be really close to him then.” She managed to say while hiding her jealousy. “It’s like he prefers me to be his father than his actual one.” He laughed to himself. “Can you take him out?” Hyori asked as she peered at Hyungshik. Dongwoon hesitated for a moment before agreeing. At this moment Dujun and the rest of them began walking to where Dongwoon was.

 

Dongwoon lifted Hyungshik carefully out and stared at his newly adopted son happily. Hyori suddenly wished she was wearing her school uniform. If she did they would have looked like an adorable couple who was taking care of their nephew. She tried inching closer to Dongwoon who handed the baby over to Dae who grunted under the weight. “You’re too weak dongsaeng.” Yoseop giggled poking at her arms. She grunted in response. “Can I hold him?” Hyori asked. “You can’t.” Gikwang butted in. He didn’t like Hyori that much either. “He doesn’t like people holding him.” He added.

 

“But Dae got to hold him!” She pointed out.

 

“That’s because Hyungshik loves her.” Junhyung snickered. The rest of them with the exception of Dongwoon, Hyori and Dae giggled. Hyori was frustrated. There was an inside joke that was going on in between them and she wasn’t in on it. Her eyebrows furrowed as she glared at Dae for not telling her what was happening.

 

“Dae,” She whined unconsciously. “What’s going on?” She demanded like a child.

 

Dae turned towards her. “Hyori, I know you aren’t going to like this. Dongwoon and I are the adopted parents of this child.” She explained. Dujun, Yoseop and Gikwang turned their attention to Hyori’s to see her reaction. It was safe to say that it wasn’t pretty. A slap echoed throughout the park followed by a scream which resembled a banshee.
 

So this chapter was 4 pages long . ____ . '' -whistles-