Chapter 1 - Baby Beginnings

"Umma!" "Appa!"

“What do you think you’re doing?” Dujun hissed as he saw me walking back towards him with the basket in my hand.

 

“Taking it home of course.” I said as I glanced back at the baby whose cries vanished. It held up its arms at me.

 

“I think he wants you to hold him.” Dujun pointed out.

 

“How do you know that it’s a boy?”

 

“Stereotypes, he’s wearing blue.” He smiled smugly. I puffed up my cheeks a little. “Okay, hold this for me then.” I said, handing him the basket as I took the baby out. “There, there. Where are your parents?” I asked.

 

“UMMA!” He cried, holding onto my neck and grabbing fistfuls of my hair. “OW! OW! OW!” I yelped in pain. I watched my brother bite back a smile as he watched the interaction between us.

 

“You’re his mom Dae?” Dujun teased.

 

“Of course not! I’m still a , how can I have a baby if I am still a ?” I shot at him as we continued walking back home. We continued arguing as we entered into the apartment building. The baby was looking at Dujun as if he was an alien. He began shaking his head frantically and buried his head into my shoulder.

 

I grimaced slightly as I walked into our apartment.

 

“Dae! Why do you have a baby in your arms?” My older sister Doori hissed. “I found it at a park!” I whispered back. “I think it thinks that I’m his mother. He kept on calling me ‘umma’ all the way here.” I grumbled. She looked back at the baby. “Is it a boy or a girl?” She asked with a hint of jealousy in her voice. “A boy. Unnie, are you jealous?” I smirked slightly; a trait I have received from one of Dujun’s friends; Junhyung. “Of course! I was supposed to be the first one to have a kid!” She shot back. I sat down on the couch.

 

“What’s his name?” Dujun asked as he watched our older sister raid through the baby carriage. “Not sure, none of his stuff is labeled.” Doori frowned slightly. “Well it isn’t exactly a dog where it will say its address, name and personal information.” I replied sarcastically.  She shot me a death glare as I resumed playing with the baby who was currently on my lap.

 

It suddenly made a face.

 

“Eh… Doori, what is it doing?” I asked worriedly. She glanced at the baby for a brief moment and a wave of shock and worry spread across her face.

 

“IT NEEDS TO GO POO. GO TAKE HIM TO THE TOILET!” She yelled at the top of her lungs. I quickly rushed to the toilet and turned my face away as I held him over the toilet. “He’s done doing his business.” Dujun giggled. “Now you have to clean his .” He said among his fit of giggles. I sighed and wiped its with toilet paper. I went to the sink afterwards and rinsed his and cleaned it with a disposable towel.

 

“Dujun, do me a favour and buy me diapers!” I cried desperately. I slid him my credit card. He glanced back at the baby and rushed out the door. Within 15 minutes he came back running with a box while grumbling about how the female cashier was looking at him funny when he bought it. 

 

I sighed as I silently thanked myself that I had baby-sitting experience involving babies. I slid on the diaper on quickly and washed my hands. The baby looked at me happily and reached for me. “Umma!” It chirped happily.

 

“Why does it call you ‘umma’?” Doori asked as I emerged from the bathroom. I shrugged. “Maybe I look like his umma? I’m not sure.” I said as I sat down on the couch while bouncing the baby on my lap. Suddenly Dujun’s phone began ringing.

 

“Yo, what’s up?” I heard murmurs on the other line as I craned my neck to listen. Dujun noticed this and pushed my head away. “Yeah sure man, just come up. I’m pretty sure my sisters don’t mind.” He said hanging up. “Who was that?” I asked.

 

“Dongwoon, he’s a single man now. Which is good, he’s been spending too much time with that girlfriend of his.”

 

“You make that sound as if it that’s a bad thing.”

 

“It is! We can’t even play soccer properly! We play with 1 goalie, 2 defense and 3 offense.”

 

“I swear, all you think of is soccer.”

 

“He’s a boy unnie, what do you expect?”

 

“Yah! So what are you going to name him?” Dujun stomped his foot angrily.

 

“I’m guessing taking him to an orphanage is out of the question right?” I sighed.

 

“Well he keeps on calling you ‘umma’.” Dujun pointed out. I paused for a moment while looking at him. He was playing with my fingers. “I think I’ll name him… Hyungshik.” I said smiling fondly at him.

 

“He’s really cute.” Doori giggled as she poked his nose. “Dujun was cute too,” I pointed out, “Then he grew up.” I snickered. He threw a pillow at me. “HEY!” He shouted. A soft knock was heard on the door. “Hyung? Are you there?” A voice asked on the other side. Dujun sprang up from his seat and ran towards the door.

 

“I don’t get why Dongwoon calls him hyung when they’re the same age.” Doori shrugged. “I don’t either, but maybe because Dujun tends to act older around them.” She smiled. By them I knew who she was referring to. It was Dujun’s group of friends; Jang Hyunseung, Yong Junhyung, Yang Yoseob, Lee Gikwang and Son Dongwoon. “He really does keep them in line.” I smiled as I remembered when Junhyung was going to snap at me for stealing his Coke.

 

Dongwoon came in with my brother following behind him. Dongwoon’s eyes lit up as he saw Hyungshik sitting on my lap. “Is that your nephew, hyung?” He asked Dujun. Dujun shook his head. “We found it at the park.” Dongwoon frowned slightly. “Shouldn’t you report it to the police then?” He asked. “We would but–”

 

“APPA!” Hyungshik cried out, stretching his arms out towards Dongwoon.