Chapter 6

Somewhere Only We Know

Isabel POV

I was waken up from the loud ringing of my phone. As I got up and answered my phone I opened my eyes to see who was sitting next to me…. Kris. 

“Hello?”

“Brownie! It’s Sindy. Where are you? When are you coming home?” It was a friend from back home. Sindy has always been by my side from a distance, letting me know how things are going back in Sydney, about my family and the business. 

“I’m in Noumea at the moment and I don’t know. Why?”

She went on about asking a favour and if I’d be home soon. When I hung up I realised I was still sitting next to Kris. I sighed.

 

“What are you doing here?” I questioned. 

“You were sleeping with your head on my lap.” Oh… “I came to talk to you but when I saw you, you were lying there with sand all over your face and you looked really uncomfortable.”

“Well thanks.” It’s always awkward when I’m around him. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Why you chose to leave us out of your life. You don’t understand how much it affected us. How could you be so selfish?” Is he serious?

“Me? Be selfish? Think about what you’re saying. I chose to leave myself out of your lives so I wouldn’t be a burden. You think I’m so stupid don’t you? I know that you all hung out and did things on the weekends and during the holidays without inviting me. I know when I’m not wanted. So I did it for you guys, if I just disappeared then you wouldn’t have to make your little meetings a secret from me.” I now realise that I truly had no friends in high school, I was the loner trying to fit in. 

“I don’t even know why you’re so eager to find out why, my absence should have been a blessing to you.”

I could sense that Kris was getting angry, he was starting to ball his fists and his ears were getting red. 

 

“A blessing? Do you have any idea how hard it was for me? When the news about the plane crash was published I felt my whole world fall and crash down on me. I’ve liked you since the moment I met you and everyday after that you gave me reasons to fall harder for you. There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t think about you.” 

His voice started to soften and I could just see the hurt in his eyes. “Back in high school I was afraid, afraid that if I confessed you’d reject me. I was afraid of losing you to someone else… and i’m still afraid… of you leaving me again. Please don’t leave me. I can’t go through that, not again…”

 

Not knowing what to say, I shuffled a little closer to him making him face me but his eyes kept looking for something other than me to look at. I wiped away his tears with my thumbs and when he looked at me I just stared back. 

He slowly started to lean in, I could feel my heart thumping, almost as if it wanted to jump out of my chest and all I could think was “Holy , what if I do something stupid?” As he closed his eyes so did I and within the next second my lips came into contact with his soft lips, sending a current through my body. His tongue swiped across my bottom lip and as a response I slightly opened my mouth. As soon as I did he deepened the kiss and our tongues danced as I felt his large hands caress my waist. 

 

I broke the kiss off because of lack of air and what I didn’t realise was how close we were. I could feel him breathing on my face. I didn’t dare look up at him. I liked him but never did I think I would have the chance to kiss him. 

 

Kris POV

I finally kissed her. After all this time I finally kissed her. But she wouldn’t look at me. All I did was look at her, waiting if she’d look up at me. A tear glided its way down her cheek as she broke the silence. 

“I’m sorry”

“Why are you sorry? Why are you crying? Please don’t cry.” If I hurt her then I want to make things right. She was confusing me… If she kissed me back then it means that she wanted it too. But she’s crying and apologising… so she didn’t want me? Jesus, this is doing my head in. 

 

I placed her between my legs and let her lean against my chest as I cuddled her. Waiting for her to stop crying I was chanting in my head “Please don’t make this my fault.”

 

- - -

 

I hadn’t realised that we fell asleep in each others’ arms until I felt Isabel’s arms unwrapping themselves from around my waist. I looked up and the sky was a beautiful mix of orange, pink and purple and all I could think was “Perfect view with the perfect woman in my arms. This is the perfect moment.” 

I could feel Isabel fidgeting under but it only made me hold onto her tighter. “Let’s just stay like this a little longer.” I felt her relax a little in my arms and lean into my chest. 

 

This moment was just perfect. 

 

- - -    - - -

A/N: Subscribe, comment, upvote and thanks for reading :)