Chapter 1

Somewhere Only We Know

*At the airport*

 

Kris POV

“Why are you crying?” Liv started crying since we got in the car and she hasn’t stopped. Isabel was just joking around but Liv was so serious. 

“Because it’s been like 3 days since graduation and you’re already leaving” she sobbed

“Don’t worry I’m only going for three weeks” Isa was leaving to take care of her father’s business but she looked so happy. Usually when she left on business occasion, she was really upset. 

“That’s still so long…” Matey’s voice was fading as if he was going to cry as well. 

“I’ll be back soon, don’t worry” Isa reassured us

*announcement* “Flight number 0Z 206 to Sydney, Australia is now boarding. Please board the plane at gate number 3. Thank you.”

“I better get going guys. I’ll see you in three weeks.” She smiled while waving us off. Her eyes sparkled every time she smiled like that. Something I will never forget. 

 

*At home that night*

“Kris!! Hurry up, Castle is about to start!”

“Coming…”

As I sit down, instead of the TV show starting, the screen shows a blue screen that reads “Breaking News”

“What’s going on?” Liv asks

 

With a serious face and a stern voice the reporter announces, “It has been reported that flight number OZ 206 to Sydney, Australia has crash landed at Alice Springs in the Northern Territory due to an engine malfunction. Police, ambulance and the fire department have arrived at the site in search for any survivors.” everything after that was a blur. 

 

“Is that the flight Isabel was on?” Nathan asks

“It can’t be. I don’t believe it.”

“Kris, I’m so sorry.” Olivia barely whispered

“So… what now?”

 

Kris POV

I saw her again… that girl, the same girl i saw last year. She reminded me of Isabel so much. when I first saw her I thought I was hallucinating and when I told Liv about her she said I was going crazy. 

 

When I bumped into her at the cafe I was so confused, she looked like Isabel but then again at another glance, she looked like a completely different person. Her eyes and lips were the same as Isabel’s but her nose and cheek bones looked so different. 

 

Every year on the anniversary of the plane crash, the three of us come to Noumea and stay at the resort Isabel’s parents owns in New Caledonia. During our summer breaks in middle school and high school we went to places all over the world, but this resort was the last one we went to together. It holds our last moments and our best memories. 

 

This year Liv wanted to go a bit early because there’s going to be a special fashion show on tonight. She wanted to look at the new Chanel collection being released and she suggested that I should take photos because it’d be good for my portfolio. Either way, here we are standing in line to get into the Nouvata Park Hotel. 

 

As we walk in the place was so large and beautiful. Liv dragged Nathan straight to the runway hall leaving me to wonder on my own. I was walking towards the jewellery display and I saw her again, standing in front of the glass display, she was admiring the rings in the stand. She looked so much more beautiful this time. Not that she wasn’t already gorgeous. 

 

She was wearing a long red sleeveless dress that reveals her back. Her blonde bleached hair was put into a high bun and her natural tan skin was glowing. I looked at her eyes in the reflection of the glass and I could see the sparkle in her eyes as she smiled. She’s perfect.