Chapter 4

Somewhere Only We Know

We left the hotel and slowly started walking to my hut since it wasn’t too far and it was nice to feel the cool breeze.

“Why?” I questioned

“What?”

“Why did you find me? Why did you approach me? It should have stayed the way it was before.” 

“What are you talking about? Are you saying that it would be better if I didn’t know that you were you and to keep thinking that you were dead? Everything’s changed since you’ve been gone. Nathan and Liv aren’t together anymore and I’m standing here by myself without any clue as to help them, they hate each other now. When you left… there’s been a massive hole in our friendship and I thought maybe, maybe you could fix it.” His tone had changed from anger and frustration to hopeless. And after I heard that, I felt slightly guilty for not telling them. But that was still no excuse for Olivia to get angry at me like that. 

 

His silence was confusing me and I couldn’t read his face. He never even liked me, so why was asking for my help. He was only ever nice to me because Nathan was my friend. 

 

“What are you doing here? And how did you find me?” Did he follow me here?

“I didn’t look for you, I stumbled upon someone at a cafe and I saw her again at the presentation tonight and I thought I’d approach her because she reminded me of the old you. Turns out I was right about who she is. I…” There was a long pause, as if he was having trouble putting his words together. 

 

He spoke again, looking a little more depressed than before, “Every year on the anniversary of the plane crash we come here, to the resort, because out of all the time we spent together as a group, this place means the most to us. What about you? You have lots of explaining to do.” Everything he said was right, which made the situation even worse. 

 

I sighed deeply, I know he isn’t going to like what he hears next “I’m a designer, I was invited to the event as a guest.”

As I expected, he scrunched up his face, “What about after the plane crash?”

“I thought I was going to die. Everybody had already assumed I was dead and after I woke up in the hospital I looked at myself in the mirror and… I couldn’t look at myself, I looked like a monster. The doctor suggested that plastic surgery was the best option for me so I agreed. This face, that I have now, is the closest I could get to what I used to look like without looking exactly the same. I thought that I’d start a new life.” I couldn’t look at him, I could feel his eyes boring into my face. 

“Who knows about you still being alive?” His cold tone wasn’t encouraging me to answer his questions but his aura…

“My aunt and a couple friends in the design industry.”

“Did your dad know before he passed away?” 

“Of course he knew. He passed his company onto me.”

“So what happened to you?”

“I… I was…” Now I was the one who couldn’t gather words, “after the surgery, I completely took over the company for about 5 years. I’d decided that I didn’t want to be locked up in an office for the rest of my life so I advanced into my own clothing line. Then the collaborations with different brands came in and I started making my own money, I wasn’t dependent on the people around me so I thought, let’s just keep it that way, I don’t need the people I had and they don’t need me.”

“So… your friends weren’t important enough to know that you were alive?”

“Don’t take it that way… Why do you even care so much? You don’t even like me.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m not your friend.” 

Then it went silent for a couple seconds. He wouldn’t stop staring at me. It was like he wanted something else, the anger in his eyes just wouldn’t go away. 

 

“It’s getting late. I’m gonna go back to my hut. You should too.” I said trying to find a way to escape his sight.

 

- - -  

 

After i got dressed into my pyjamas, I poured myself a warm glass of water and started reading to clear my mind. Our ‘conversation’ felt like an interrogation, with all the questioning and feeling intimidated. It seems like all my bad decisions from the past has come up and slapped me straight in the face. 

 

 

- - -    - - -

A/N: Sorry for not updating in so long. I have no excuse other than laziness... sorry 

 

Subscribe, comment, upvote and thanks for reading :)