004

Step By Step

004

"Sorry that I ruined our day together," Key mumbled through pursed lips.

"Huh? Oh, no it's fine. The more the merrier, right?" Jonghyun said happily and turned into Key's apartment parking lot. They had finished dinner half an hour ago and dropped Taemin off at the bakery and Minho at his house.

"Yeah, I guess." Key unbuckled his belt and waited for the car to come to a complete stop. "Well then, this is me. Bye." Just as Key reached out to open the door, Jonghyun pulled him back.

"Yah, aren't you forgetting something?" Jonghyun asked playfully with a smirk on his face. Key stared at him for a second before realizing what the other boy meant.

"Hm, I guess I did," Key replied before leaning in to capture Jonghyun's lips. The kiss lasted for a couple more minutes before Key pulled away. "Well, I gotta go now. Bye! See you Monday!" He said cheerfully before exiting the car. Jonghyun chuckled quietly before replying.

"Yeah, see ya! Bye." Key stood in the parking lot waving until the car went out of sight before going inside the building. Once he closed the door to his apartment, Onew, his roommate and cousin, bombarded him with questions.

"Hey, hey, who was that? Was that your boyfriend? What's his name? Should I tell your mom? Kekeke."

"That was my friend. No, he's not my boyfriend. Jonghyun and no," Key answered while taking off his shoes.

"Then why were you guys kissing?"

"You saw us? What, did you spy on us? Or did you coincidentally look out the window and see us?"

"Um, the second choice, please," Onew answered. "Seriously Key, I just happened to look out the window and see a car so I wanted to 'people watch'. I didn't know that it was you and your, er, friend." Key just ignored the explanation and walked to his room.

"I already ate so do whatever you want for food."

"Wait, does that mean I can order delivery?"

"Do whatever you want."

"Okay!"

In his room, Key laid on his bed and pulled out his phone. He was set on finding out why the two boys had been together. He dialed Minho's number and waited for the other boy to pick up.

"What's up?" Came the reply.

"So..."

"So what?"

"Why were you with Taemin?" There was a pause. "Yah, are you listening? Actually, wait, I can hear you breathing so of course, you're listening."

"Um, can we not talk about it?"

"No."

"Fine."

"So?"

"Um, we met at the 7/11 and decided to walk home together."

"Sure and Santa Clause is real. Now tell me what really happened."

"Why do you want to know so bad? It's not like you like him and you can't possibly like me since I'm like your BFF."

"And that's where you're wrong, my precious. I've secretly been in love with you since they day you were born."

"Haha, funny."

"I know, right?! I should be a comedian."

"Yes, you should, now excuse me while I go and try to figure out what I should beco-"

"I know what you're doing, Minho. You're trying to hang up on me."

"Uh, no-"

"Don't tell me you were stalking Taemin."

"Uh, I wasn-"

"You were, huh?"

"No, I wasn't, Kibum! I was angry that you ditched me for that dinosaur so I went to his workplace and forced him to hang out with me."

"Why would you do that?"

"I dunno. To show that I am perfectly fine without you?"

"Yes, I can see that you know, because people who are perfectly fine force other people to hang out with them."

"Yah! He was willing!"

"Yeah, I'm sure he was and that's why he was stomping away from you. What'd you do, kiss him?"

"...Maybe?"

"Ohmygod, you are SUCH a creeper, dude."

"Yah! He liked it!"

"Sure."

"I mean, I think he did..."

"Minho, you should stop before he sues you for ual harassment."

"ual harassment? What the heck, Kibum. If everybody sued every time they were ually harassed, the world would have ended by now."

"And why is that?"

"...The world would be corrupted."

"Too bad cause that's already happened. Bye."

"Wait, what?"

-

"Taemin-ah!" Key said when he spotted the boy leaving the bakery the next day. He waved before walking up to the surprised boy. "Where are you going?"

"I'm on my lunch break."

"Oh? Then how do you feel about eating together?"

"That's fine."

"Okay, good because I know this wonderful place! Come on!" Key grabbed the taller boy and started dragging him through the street.



"So how is it? Good, right?" Key asked and slurped his noodles.

"Yeah." Taemin answered quietly.

"Oh don't be shy!" Key grabbed the chopsticks out of Taemin's hands and picked up some noodles. "Here open up!" Taemin hesitantly opened his mouth and let Key feed him the noodles.

"Hm, I feel like a mom," Key said excitedly and started to pick up some more noodles from Taemin's bowl.

"Key, I can eat by myself," Taemin said awkwardly and grabbed onto Key's hand. Key pouted before handing the chopsticks back to Taemin.

"Hmph, you're no fun." Taemin hid a smile and continued to eat.



"So," Key started. "Do you have any siblings?" Taemin glanced at the other boy before answering. They were walking back to the bakery since they finished their lunch.

"Yeah, an older brother," Taemin paused before throwing the question back to be polite. "How about you?"

"Nope. I'm an only child."

"Hm."

"Have you lived in Seoul your whole life?"

"Yeah. Have you?"

"Nah. My family is back in Daegu. I moved here to live with my cousin about two years ago. He's from Gwangmyeong, though. Actually, I wasn't even close to him but my desire for something different was too strong so I just came anyways."

"How old is he?"

"20," Key answered. "Why? You interested? Keke."

"No, I was just curious."

"How old is your brother?"

"Why? Interested?" Taemin teased.

"What? No! I was just wondering." Key pouted.

"I know. I'm just joking," Taemin smiled. "He's 20 also."

"Hm, maybe we should hook your bother and my cousin up." Key joked, making Taemin stop walking in shock.

"Uh..."

"I'm kidding! Onew hyung's straight." Key laughed and grabbed onto Taemin to make him walk again.

"Are you?" Taemin asked after a few seconds of silence.

"Hm?" Key muttered mindlessly.

"Never mind."

"No, wait. What did you ask? I didn't hear." Key stopped walking and asked seriously. Taemin looked back at Key and sighed.

"It's nothing," he said and resumed walking.

"Yah, Lee Taemin! I'm older than you!"

"I know," Taemin stopped to look back at Key. "And I'm fine with that." Key's eyebrows raised.

"What? Why you little brat!" Key said and started walking angrily to Taemin, who in turn just grabbed Key by the shoulders and smirked.

"Come on, the bakery's right around the corner." Key stood still as he felt Taemin's hand close around his own.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Nothing." Taemin answered and then he was pulling the older boy down the sidewalk.



"Kibum! There you are! Onew told me that you came here but you weren't here but I decided to just wait and-" Minho paused and looked at the intertwined hands of Key and Taemin. "Why are you guys holding hands?" Key looked down at their hands and quickly shook Taemin's hand off.

"Uh," Key began nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to go grab some lunch."

"Well," Key looked beside him to find that Taemin had disappeared. "I already ate with Taemin but we could go get something if you want."

"Are you serious?" Minho pouted. "I can't believe you ditched your best friend for some guy you just recently met."

"Oh come on. I've been with you for two years. Cut me some slack," Key said and sat down. "So what do you want to go eat?"

"Since we're here already, let's just eat here," Minho said and waved a waitress over.

-

"Kibum, I have something to ask you," Minho said as the two boys were walking to school the next morning.

"Hm?"

Minho thought for a while before speaking again, "Do you and Jonghyun have something going on?"

"I already told you no."

"Then how about you and Taemin?"

"What? No, we're just friends."

"Okay."

"Why?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing. Just curious."

"Why is everyone doing that to me?" Key asked angrily.

"What?"

"'Oh, nothing,'" Key imitated Minho's answer from earlier and faked a smile before stomping away angrily.

"What's his problem?" Minho asked himself.

"You." Minho looked to his side to see Taemin walking past him.

"Hey you!" Minho yelled but the other boy had already walked too far ahead. "Aish. Why does everyone keep giving me that answer whenever I ask that question?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, my brother's going back to college tomorrow and when he leaves I'll be at school.

Sadness, sadness, BUT whatever. Here's chapter four! Hope you guys like it! :)

-hanny