003

Step By Step

003

"Okay, so now what do you do?" Key asked as he stared at the cake batter in the baking pan. Taemin looked over and smiled at the clueless boy.

"You just put it into the oven," he answered before putting the pan into the hot oven himself.

"Oh, psshh, I knew that."

"Mm-hm." Taemin answered playfully and turned to the sink, which was filled to the top with dishes. He sighed before turning on the water and pulling on rubber gloves. Key sat on the counter next to the sink and stared as Taemin started rinsing leftover food off the dishes.

"Where are the other workers? Shouldn't they be helping you out right now?"

"It's our lunch break. Everybody gets an hour and 30 minutes for lunch and I promised to do the dishes if they don't tell the boss about me bringing you in here."

"Really? Oh, well then, scoot over and let me help you!" Key said brightly and pushed Taemin to one side of the sink.

"There are extra gloves in the cabinet."

"Okay," Key pulled on some pink gloves and grabbed the sponge before pouring soap onto it. "I soap, you wash."



"Finally!" Key said in relief when they finished drying the dishes and laid his upper body onto the counter.

"The cake's cooled. We can decorate it now." Taemin said as he pulled the red velvet cake from the refrigerator. Key immediately jumped up and went to admire the cake.

"Wah, it's really pretty. What should we frost it with?"

"I've always just liked it with regular vanilla icing." Taemin commented and Key studied him for a second.

"Okay! Let's do that!"



"Mm, this is really good," Key happily took another bite of his cake. Taemin just sat wordlessly across from Key, eating his own slice of cake. "Have you always worked here?" Taemin only nodded.

"Ever since I was 16."

"Hm, I never notice-" Key was cut off by his phone ringing. He took a glance at Taemin before standing up and walking across the room.  

"Hello?... Oh hi... What?! Omo, it really is! Sorry, I lost track of time... Do you know Sweet Tooth Bakery?... Yeah I'm there... I'm with Taemin... Yeah, just him. Why?... What? You're crazy... Whatever, just pick me up... Yeah, bye." Key spun around and walked back to the table. Taemin just gave him a blank stare.

"Uh, it was Jonghyun. We're supposed to go watch a movie today but I forgot so he's coming to pick me up here. Will you be okay alone?" Taemin nodded and stood up to clear away the plates.

"The others will be back soon."

"Oh okay," Key muttered and watched as Taemin walked to the kitchen. "That was really fun, by the way! We should do this again one day!" Key yelled but didn't hear anything except for the faucet turning on. He sighed and plopped back down into his seat.

Why do I feel bad for leaving Taemin? I pretty much stood Jonghyun up because I was with him but why do I feel bad for him? Ughhh.

Key's phone rang again but this time it was a text message from Minho.

Where'd you go?

Sweet Tooth Bakery

The place where Taemin works? why?

Just because

Okay geez. wanna hang out later? what you doing now?

Sorry, can't. Waiting for Jjong to pick me up. We're gonna go watch Silent

The horror movie? me too! me too!

Psh! You wish. Go find your own date

How about Taemin? kekeke

You like him?

Nah just joking

Hm

Can't believe you're ditching me YOUR BFF to go on a date with some guy you just met

Yah, yah. It would have been you if you didn't tell me that you were busy today

Well I'm not anymore! :)

Too bad. Why would you be busy on a Saturday anyways? You don't even work

Sleep keeps you busy

Yeah so does waiting so stop texting me

Yeah, waiting for your date

Shut up, alien. Don't text me anymore

Okay

Okay, so stop

Okay

STOP!

STOP TEXTING BACK!

FINE! DON'T TEXT BACK

Okay

"OHMYGAWD!" Key shouted in frustration and smacked his hand on the table. "Freaken alien."

"What's wrong?" Key looked up to see Taemin unlocking the glass doors.

"Oh, nothing. Just Minho being an idiot." Taemin didn't reply and went back into the kitchen. A few minutes later, Jonghyun walked in.

"Finally!" Key joked and stood up. "Taemin! I'm leaving now!" Key shouted before linking arms with Jonghyun and walking out of the restaurant.

"What were you doing there anyway?" Jonghyun asked once they were in his car.

"I was shopping and stopped by to get a drink. There wasn't anyone in sight so I went to the kitchen and all the workers were there. They were about to leave for lunch and Taemin didn't want to go so I just stayed with him and we ended up baking a cake. It was good." Key explained with one breath.

"Oh."

"Yep."

"Listen, I don't want you to hang around that guy so much, okay? You don't even know him. Who knows what he's capable of," Jonghyun spoke up after a few minutes.

"What?" Key asked, shocked. "What do you know about him? And as of right now, I think I have a better understanding of him than you do so you have NO RIGHT to go and tell me what to do and what not to do." Key argued back before turning to the window.

"Okay, I'm sorry. It's just that he's practically a stranger."

"Aren't you too? I just met you this year," Key muttered. "Besides you're not even my boyfriend, you don't have to be so protective." Key mumbled the last part under his breath but Jonghyun still heard it.

"Touche, touche." Key smiled lightly at the other boy's surrender.

-

"OHMYGAWD!" Key ran around in circles infront of the theater. "I'm scarred for life! I'm scarred for freaken life! GAH!" Jonghyun chuckled at his friend's behavior before capturing him in his arms.

"Key, it was just a movie. Calm down." Key struggled out of his arms.

"How can you say that?! Did you see when the guy took the ax and chopped her head off?!" Key asked with his eyes wide open. "How about when they dangled that guy in the volcano?! You know I've always told people to go die in a volcano but I don't think I can do that now."

"Hm," Jonghyun mumbled and dragged Key to his car. "Let's go talk about this over dinner."

"What?! You expect me to eat in this kind of situation?! You are such a sick, sick person! You-" Key stopped suddenly. "Hey isn't that Minho? Who's he wit- Taemin?! Wait, what? Hold up, hold up." Key then proceeded to walk towards the two boys across the street.

"Key? What are you doing?" Jonghyun asked the retreating back.

"Hey guys! What's up?" Key asked happily. At the sound of his voice, the two boys turned to look at him.

"Oh hey Key. What are you doing here?" Minho asked nervously.

"Uh, movie theaters, Silent, Jonghyun. I told you already," Key answered and eyed the two boys suspiciously. "Enough about me, what are you guys doing here? And most importantly, together? I thought you hated each other's guts?"

"Uh, we do!" Minho quickly answered and Taemin just scoffed at him before turning to walk away.

"Wait!" Key yelled suddenly, surprising Minho and Jonghyun, who had just arrived at the scene. "Jonghyun and I were just about to go eat, do you guys wanna join? It'll be fun! It'll be like a guy's night out."

"Um, we don't wanna bother you tw-" Minho started awkwardly.

"No, it's fine! Right Jonghyun?" Key grabbed onto the boy beside him. Jonghyun stumbled slightly from Key's grip before answering.

"Yeah, it's fine. Come on, treat's on me. My car's over here." Jonghyun said before gesturing to his parked car on the other side of the road.

"Yeah, come on, Taemin! I owe you one for today." Key grabbed Taemin's hand and led him to Jonghyun's car with the other two boys trailing behind.

"Why do I feel like I just got ditched?" Jonghyun asked himself but still got a reply.

"I know, me too and I'M his best friend. Not you OR him." Minho said sourly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boring chapter is boring, neh?

Sorry! BUT I have 11 subscribers! Omona! That's amazing! Well, for me it is.

-hanny