[keo] Wallflower

Mine - a drabble collection

Many times he was called a wallflower. Lonely, never stand out, blends well in the crowd. He was the kind of person that gets lost easily and people won’t notice until the end of the day. But it was okay, nothing harmful ever happened to him.

He was fairly likable, people greets him, knows his face, sometimes his name but he was never really all that special. He smiles often too, hums in the crowd, always trying new foods and drinks, read new book and work his hardest. But really, he was not much of an importance.

Jung Taekwoon was 21, single, and was in the midst of doing his thesis, something complicated as it took him awhile to write. He always kept to himself but usually he always had a friend or two accompanying him while he’s at work in the library. Though he still blends well the shelves of books, still get unnoticed, yet he was happy. He had embraced the title of a wall flower anyway.

And then there’s him. Him. The one he embraced deep in the pit of his stomach, buried in the warmth of the dead bodies of a thousand butterflied in his chest, poisoned his throat to paralyze and turned his eyes immobile. Him.

Him. With a smile radiating from eons away, eyes so bright he was lost in the depth of them. Him. With his million watt happiness that buzzes through every fiber of oxygen he met, the one whose voice so soft it flew through the little quivering heartstring of his, ready to be broken. Him. Taekwoon’s sun.

Lee Jaehwan was roughly two years younger than Taekwoon, single or not, he has no idea, the kid had the tendency to pucker those beautiful thick lips on everyone and cling on every single breathing being. It’s not that Taekwoon minded, Jaehwan was beautiful, he doesn’t blame that everyone gets attracted.

His mother always told him, that love on the first sight wasn’t real, but love upon the first three seconds of looking to each other’s eyes was. Taekwoon never understands, nor does he ever believe that something like that will happen to him. He was incredibly shy, courtesy of his own mother and siblings that always coos on him and calling him embarrassing stuff that makes his face just burn. Taekwoon never knew if he was able to even look up and gaze at someone straight in the eyes. When he actually look at someone, he usually looked at their forehead or nose and most people will think he’s glaring at them.

But he tried. Tried to look at the people he had interest on for more than three seconds but he always fails. It’s always either him being too shy or them breaking the eye contact too fast. He will always fail and will never find the love of his life, sadly.

For once, he wished he could be noticeable. For once, even though he knows that he is a wallflower, he want to be acknowledged as a sunflower. Jaehwan’s sunflower.

Jaehwan’s mother always told him to get a plant. If it hasn’t died in 3 months, get a fish. If it still live after 6months, get a cat. If it’s still with you for a whole year, then you are ready for a relationship with others.

Jaehwan met Taekwoon exactly one and half year ago. And tomorrow his cat will officially live with him for a year.  Jaehwan would like to call it a coincidence. But really, he got a plant around a week after he sees those cat like eyes and dark dark hair.

They don’t talk often. They have mutual friends which is like, the best thing. Taekwoon was always early and Jaehwan always come late, for one reason and another. But Taekwoon never seems to mind to wait up for Jaehwan, never seems to mind to wait for the other, never seems to mind to accompany him.

Tomorrow. Jaehwan reminds himself as he watch the clock ticking, slowly counting to the time that his cat will officially be his for one year. Tomorrow, he will be ready for him. Tomorrow Jaehwan will make Taekwoon his, his sunflower.