4. Vanilla With Everything On Top

Oh! Are You Late Too?

Chapter Four

Jungkook felt like a creep as he watched Jang Mi laugh with her friends. He'd been at the party, minding his own business when he'd noticed her sitting there. She looked great and he found himself ignoring the girl he was with to stare at her. Usually, he'd approach her but she was with her friends who he didn't know; he knew it would just be awkward.

That’s why when he saw them both leave, he jumped at the opportunity to head over there. He didn't even hesitate as he pushed past people, ditching the girl he was with and reaching her just as she was about to go somewhere. Unsure of what to say, he plastered a smirk on, saying the first thing that came to mind, "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were stalking me."

She turned around, looking at him funny. He wasn't sure what her problem was until he felt pain on his forehead. "I've said it once and I'll say it again, don't stand so close," she said, her eyebrow raised and her arms crossed.

"Sorry," he sighed, rubbing his forehead and putting on a show of taking a step back, "I forgot."

Jang Mi rolled her eyes, as she sighed, "What do you want?"

Jungkook cleared his throat as he straightened to a stand. This was his time. Ever since they'd talked at the coffee shop, he had been googling, asking friends – even going as far as calling his brother for advice. Now she was in front of him and he could say what he'd been preparing.

"My love for you is like diarrhoea, I just can't hold it in," he said as seriously as possible.

Panic filled him as she didn’t respond; only staring at him blankly for a second. That panic was short lived as the sound of her laughter filled his ears. He felt relief wash over him as he realised he hadn't wasted his time looking at cheesy pick up lines. She'd actually found it funny – he thought it would be harder to make her laugh.

"Ah, I see you actually took my advice and studied the art of pick up lines," she smiled, her dimples showing.

He nodded, "Yep and as you can see, I'm pretty bad… so bad it's good."

"Oh," she responded playfully, "Look who's getting cocky."

"I prefer to say confident," he replied, chuckling. She smiled at him as she looked around the room distractedly. He wondered who she was looking for, then remembered that she had been with a boy before he'd came over. Narrowing his eyes slightly, he tried to think of a way to gain her full attention. Her friend would probably return soon, which would ruin his chances of progress. So he had to get her out of there, to somewhere they could talk.

"Hey, do you like ice-cream?" he blurted. Jang Mi turned to look at him, surprise evident on her face. Please don't reject me, he thought.

Finding drinks was harder than Taehyung had first imagined it to be. If he had known that all the drinks in the kitchen were finished, he never would have agreed to go fetch them. Not wanting to look any further, he discarded the empty bottles before waiting at the counter. Once a suitable amount of time had passed, he could go back and tell Jang Mi that there was none in the house.

While he was waiting, he noticed a lunch box of what seemed to be fruit salad in the fridge. Looking around for its owner, he opened it, sniffing it. It smelled safe enough for him, so he grabbed a piece beginning his journey to eating it. The whole time, it never crossed his mind that it could be dangerous or that the owner might return for it. Once done, he closed it again, putting it back where he found it.

His timing had been perfect as a pretty girl came into the kitchen seconds later. He easily forgot about social norms, staring at her. She didn't seem to notice as she was too focused on the fridge. Taehyung did his best to look nonchalant, suddenly finding the floor interesting. Out the corner of his eye, he could see her taking out the lunchbox. He looked away quickly when she set it on the counter.

"Yah!" she exclaimed, causing him to look at her. She looked annoyed, glaring at her empty lunchbox. Suddenly, she looked up, making eye contact with him. "You!" she directed her annoyance to him. He felt anxiety grow in him as he thought she might know the truth. "Did you see who ate this?" she demanded.

Taehyung cleared his throat, "Um… no."

She narrowed her eyes in suspicion, "You're lying."

"I'm not," he shook his head vigorously, "I'm not."

Raising an eyebrow, she crossed her arms, "Why do you seem so nervous then?"

"Cause… you're really pretty," he blurted.

His response seemed to surprise her, as her eyes widened and her lips parted slightly. She didn't reply for a while, as if gathering her thoughts. "I know," she shrugged eventually.

Taehyung giggled, finding her ability to compose herself cute. When she realised that he wasn't planning on replying and was just going to stare at her, she ran a hand through her hair, looking away in discomfort. "Yah," she mumbled, "Take a picture, it lasts longer."

"Can I?" he said, way too enthusiastically.

She rolled her eyes, choosing to not respond. Taehyung was coming across to her as a weirdo and she had no time for him.

"What's your name?" he asked her, after some silence, music the only thing filling the air.

 She didn't answer for a while, probably considering her options. Taehyung watched her, liking the way she pursed her lips. "Park Yura," she finally sighed.

He grinned at her, "I'm Kim Taehyung but you can call me Tae."

She frowned, "Taehyung's fine with me."

"Whatever you want," he shrugged, liking the way his name rolled off her lips. She grimaced at him before walking away. He watched her go, awestruck. Ever since he was little, his mom had told him stories of how her and his father had been each other's first loves. That's why Taehyung wanted to marry the first girl he fell in love with and right now, he could hear the wedding bells. Who cared if it was sudden? If he didn't know her well? He would get to know her. In fact, in that moment, he decided that it would be his mission to get to know Park Yura.

"Do you see her?" Namjoon asked. He looked away from the iPod, checking on Jin. The boy was looking around the room, unable to spot her. This made Namjoon sigh, worried that his plans would be ruined by Jin. Usually Jin was highly reliable; he did most things he was asked and didn't ask too many questions but this time around, there could be no mistakes. It was important that the girl liked his song.

"Namjoon, I don't know what she looks like," he explained.

"You know what, you set it up, I'll look for her," he said, getting up and nudging Jin towards the iPod. He stumbled over there, searching for the song they'd recorded earlier that day. Namjoon had been worried he wouldn't get it finished in time as the party was already planned, but he had managed; now was his time to play it for her. Scanning the room, anxiety filled him as his eyes locked on her figure. She was with a few of her friends, laughing with each other.

Taking a deep breath, he signalled to Jin to press play. He did, stopping the song that was currently on and allowing the song to play.

"This one's dedicated to Song Yunji," Namjoon's voice rang out as it started. She looked up, surprised that it was her name called out. She was finally going to hear his song."Yup, so seductive…"

Jang Mi had rejected his offer. It was nearly October and it was slightly cold. Why on earth would she want to get ice-cream with a guy she barely knew? After all, Jungkook was known for his womanising ways – she was not going to be added to his list. Sure she'd been nice to him, joked around a little but that didn't mean they were ice-cream buddies. Especially not at midnight, it was too late for that.

And yet here I am, Jang Mi sighed, as she waited for Jungkook to return with their ice-cream. She didn't know how she'd ended up coming along – somewhere in the blur of rejection, she'd ended up agreeing and now she was sitting in the completely empty ice-cream parlour. It hadn't been a surprise to her that it was still open as her, Min and Taehyung had drunkenly stumbled over a few months ago, looking for something to eat. It had been open then too, so she assumed that most of its business at night came from drunken students.

"One cookie dough for you," Jungkook said as he returned to the booth. He set down her ice-cream in front of her, and then put down his own, taking a seat. "And one vanilla with everything on top for me," he grinned.

She rolled her eyes as he rubbed his hands in excitement, grabbing his spoon and taking a huge scoop. Everything on top slid down and she found herself staring in awe at the amount he'd managed to cram on there. There was every kind of sauce, popcorn, mini brownies, several different kinds of fruit and even gummy bears all decorating his ice-cream. "Mmmm," he groaned, as took another bite. Looking up, he noticed that she wasn't eating. "Are you gonna eat or do you plan on staring at me all night?" he raised his eyebrows.

Resisting the urge to stick her tongue out at him in defiance, she picked up her spoon and took a bite. It was as good as she remembered; her intoxicated state hadn't blurred its taste – but of course now she could enjoy it more. As she ate, she couldn't help but wonder why he was doing this. He was renowned for never being with a girl long and buying her ice-cream was complete out of character for him – at least from what she'd heard.

"So you do plan on staring at me all night," he joked, waving a hand in front of her face to gain her attention.

"What do you want?" Jang Mi blurted, the second time she'd asked him that question that night.

He looked surprised, knowing exactly what she meant but choosing to ignore it. "Honestly? I want an Orange Caramel song to come on," he smirked. Currently a B2st song was on and Jang Mi couldn't even deny that 'Good Luck' was her jam.

"No but seriously," Jang Mi rolled her eyes.

He sighed, "Anyone ever told you that you're a party pooper?"

She poked at her ice-cream, muttering, "I swear you guys all meet up or something."

"Huh?"

"Nothing. You know what, it doesn't matter," she shrugged, then gave him a pointed look, "Just don't try anything funny."

He laughed, not taking her the least bit seriously. Raising his hands in a defensive gesture, he grinned, "I would never."

Jang Mi looked at him a while before deciding that she was satisfied with his answer – for now. She could let it go for the time being as right now she just wanted to enjoy her ice-cream. They ate in a comfortable silence for a while, the song ending and being replaced before one of them thought to break it.

"So, you're a General Studies, right?" Jungkook asked.

She nodded, "Yeah, you too right?"

"Yup, looks like we're both in no hurry to decide," he replied, "Do you have any ideas of what you want to do so far?"

Jang Mi paused. She could go with her father's answer, which would of course be medicine. Or she could go with her honest answer, which was that she was kind of interesting in singing. But in order to do that, she'd have to let go of her stage fright and also go against her father's wishes. She knew that wouldn't be a good idea as she'd seen it all play out with her brother. Of course her father already had something he was holding over him before he said he was doing theatre studies.

"Nope," she finally sighed, "I just don't know what I want to do in the future." He nodded in understanding, as he was probably facing the same struggle. "What about you?" she asked.

He hesitated like she had but seemed to want to be more honest as he responded, "Well, it's between Sports Science and Theatre Studies for me… I mean, half of the people in my life want me to do sports but the other half says that I'm a great performer. They all want me to do different things."

She was surprised at his honesty, not expecting him to be as open with her as they were virtually strangers. It made her feel guilty for not trusting him as he seemed to trust her. Mentally shaking those thoughts off, she decided the best she could do now was try to help him. "What do you want to do?" Jang Mi replied.

Jungkook frowned, clearly unsure of the answer. Jang Mi knew how he felt, feeling torn between not wanting to let someone down and also wanting to follow your own path. He was saved from answering as Orange Caramel's 'Catallena' came on the radio. Plastering a smirk on his face – probably to mask his uncertainty – he said, "I want to appreciate this song."

Tired of hearing that she was a party pooper, Jang Mi let the topic go, smiling at him as he sang and danced along. He seemed to know the entire dance; making her wonder what other girl group dances he knew. Jungkook seemed to invest his whole being into it, causing her to laugh at him. He didn't stop until the whole song was over and Girl's Day's 'Something' came on. His face clearly showed excitement on it.

"Let me guess, you know all of this too," she raised her eyebrows.

He chuckled, "Of course. You name the girl group dance and I'll know it."

"Challenge accepted," she grinned, "Do you know the dance to AOA's 'Miniskirt'?"

He nodded, a smug smile on his face.

"Um… Apink's 'No No No'?"

"Yup," he said, popping the 'p'.

"SNSD's 'Mr Mr'?"

"Duh," he snorted.

She narrowed her eyes at him, suspicious of his bragging, "How do I know that you're not lying to me?"

Jungkook feigned shock, looking offended, "I am the most trustworthy guy around."

Laughing, Jang Mi rolled her eyes, "For some reason, I feel like you're exaggerating."

He smiled, chuckling slightly as he said, "What if I promise to show you the dances sometime?"

She raised her eyebrows, considering his offer. If she said yes – even jokingly – that would mean that she would like to hang out with him again. As much as she was suspicious of his intentions, she found him funny and he bought her ice-cream; why not befriend him? All the bad things that could possibly come from this passed through her mind but deciding that she had left the old party pooping Jang Mi behind, she ignored them. "Fine, I'll look forward to it."

Yunji was currently hiding from the world in the toilet; the song played in her 'honour' was absolutely humiliating. He rapped about her ' liner' and how good her body was. Sure they were all compliments but she hated being the centre of attention and he'd made her that by playing that song. Everyone in the room that knew her had been looking at her – as well as him – waiting for her response. Not sure what to do, one of her friends had created a distraction while she went to hide. It would have been better for her to leave but she hadn't had the time.

Thinking back to the song, she remembered the voice singing on it. That had been the only thing she liked, as it enticed her. It was smooth and soft spoken. She assumed the guy who sang had been roped in and was probably really nice – at least that's what she wanted to think.

There was a knock on the door, which made Yunji conscious of the fact that she was stopping others from being able to use the toilet. Feeling guilty that someone might desperately want to pee, she flushed the unused toilet and washed her hands – she didn't want them to think she was a tramp. Opening the door, she came face to face with a pretty but mean looking girl.

"Took you long enough," the girl complained as she shoved past. Yunji would have apologised but the door slammed in her face before she could. Knowing that she needed to find another hiding place, she knocked on the first door she came across after the bathroom. There was no reply; though she wasn't sure if that was due to the loud music or not. Her worry caused her to wait a little longer before cautiously pushing the door open. It was someone's bedroom but there was no one in there so she swallowed her discomfort of going inside someone's room without permission and went in.

Once the door was closed, the music was muffled and she could breathe again. Most people would assume that since she was timid, she wouldn't enjoy parties but she did – at least when they didn't involve her public embarrassment. For now, she was just glad to be away from the curious eyes. She still couldn't believe he'd written that song for her. He clearly didn't know anything about her as he would have known that she hated that kind of thing.

Without realising, she'd begun pacing, immersed in her thoughts. Before she could manage to pace a hole in the floor, the door sprung open, causing her to jump.

A handsome boy stood in the door, his hair purple. Her eyes widened as she bowed a full ninety degrees, "I'm sorry."

He chuckled, coming in and closing the door. "What for?"

"For being in th-the room," she stuttered, bowing again.

He smiled in amusement, "You're apologising to the wrong person cause this isn't my room."

"Oh," she mumbled, rising from her bow. The boy stood in front of her, scanning her face. She wondered if he had heard the song and if he knew it was for her. Feeling embarrassed at the memory, she dropped her eyes to the floor.

"What are you doing in here anyway?" he asked, walking past her and sitting on the bed.

She turned to look at him, looking away the moment her eyes met his, "H-hiding."

The boy's eyebrows rose in surprise, "Oh… who from?"

"This guy," she mumbled.

A look of concern flashed on the boy's face as he straightened, "Why? Did he do something… bad?"

Her eyes widened, as she shook her head rapidly. Leaning her head purposely, she made sure her hair covered her face so she could hide her embarrassment. "N-no… it's not l-like that," she frowned.

"Oh, that's a relief," he sighed. She didn't reply, the silence stretching in the air. The muffled sound of the music could be heard; she wanted to ask him what he was doing here but she couldn't force the words to leave . She'd forgotten how difficult it was for her to talk to new people.

"So, I'm Jin," he said, breaking the silence, "What's your name?"

"Y-Yunji," she answered. His eyes widened with recognition as he probably realised that she was the one with the song dedication.

"Yunji from the song Yunji?"

Reluctantly, she nodded.

"Are you hiding because of the song? Did you not like it?"

Yunji didn't know how to respond. It wasn't that the song wasn't good – it was the lyrics. "I-I… th-the lyrics… they… made me un-uncomfortable," she finally stuttered.

He nodded, "They were pretty ual." She nodded along with him, still hiding behind her hair. Jin eyed her in concern a little longer before sighing and standing. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Yunji," he said.

She nodded, bowing slightly, "You too." With that, he left the room, leaving her wondering about his identity. He had been really attractive and she wondered – hoped she would see him again. She wanted to have a good conversation with him, one where she didn't stutter so often. In fact, she wished that she just didn't stutter at all.

"Welcome to el casa de Hoseok," Hoseok slurred, "Mi casa es su casa."

Minyoung nodded, looking as if she hadn't understood a word he'd said. She probably hadn't as she was very drunk and didn't speak a word of Spanish. Hoseok didn't notice this however, as he led her to the kitchen, stumbling over as he was really drunk too. "Do you want a drink?" he continued to attempt speech.

She shook her head, "Noooooo, noooooo. Just take off your clothes."

He nodded vigorously, as if in serious agreement. Grabbing her wrist, he blindly led her to his bedroom, kicking the door open. She staggered in, falling on the bed. Lying there, she stared up at him, waiting for him to continue their interaction. Before he did however, he paused. "I gotta pee," he told her, running to the bathroom.

Hoseok was as quick as he could be, probably leaving pee all over the toilet seat but being too intoxicated to care. Washing his hands, he splashed water on his face, sobering him slightly. Of course he was still drunk, stumbling back to his room.

There were suspicious noises coming from it and he entered, cautious to see what the roaring was. He was surprised to see Min passed out, sprawled and snoring on his bed. Disappointment washed over him but he decided it was for the best, knowing that Min was a classmate and friend. A one night stand with her would have been dumb.

Picking up the blanket, he threw it over her, tucking her in it like a cocoon; he'd fallen off that bed when passed out many times and he didn't feel like leaving her to do that without protection. At least now if she fell off, she would have some cushioning. Sighing, he grabbed the pillow she wasn't hugging and decided that he could just sleep on the sofa for tonight. There goes getting laid, he frowned.

Author's Note: Monday is now my official update day - at least until I run out of prewritten chapters, lol x_x Hopefully that won't happen and I'll keep up to date; sorry it can't be the same for RD (Reiyanami Database) but we write it together and we're both really busy. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter, comment and subscribe if you do! See you next week ^.^