12. Mama Bear

Oh! Are You Late Too?

Chapter Twelve

Min and Yoongi ignored the knock on the door as they discussed the arrangement of a song. Since the time they'd decided to work with each other, they'd produced a total of six tracks – some of them were songs Min had already started but not finished. Working with each other was good for them because they had different styles of doing things. Yoongi was the kind to obsess over something and never stop until it was done while Min was the type to take regular – mostly unnecessary – breaks from her stuff. Due to this, they managed to balance one another out; Yoongi kept Min focused and Min made Yoongi take a break when needed.

Whoever had knocked on the door had clearly grown impatient as they opened the door without waiting for a response. Yoongi and Min turned to look at the intruder. "Jimin?" Min exclaimed in surprise.

 Jimin looked at her with a similar look of shock as he looked between her and Yoongi. "Min?" he responded.

"You guys know each other?" Yoongi joined in on the confusion.

Min nodded, "Yeah, he's Jang Mi's brother."

Yoongi raised his eyebrows, looking to Jimin for confirmation. Jimin just nodded, his mind cloudy. Min was surprised that Jimin and Yoongi knew each other; she could never imagine them hanging out or what they talked about. After all, Jimin was so nice and Yoongi was so blunt. It just didn't seem to fit for her.

"Wait, brother?" Yoongi asked, breaking Min from her thoughts. He sounded betrayed as he almost shouted, "You have a sister?" 

Jimin nodded again.

"Since when?" Yoongi sounded as if he didn't believe what they were telling him.

Jimin frowned, his eyebrows furrowing as if the question was ridiculous – which Min agreed it kind of was. "Since nineteen years ago," Jimin sighed, "Anyway, I just came to say that I'm leaving now. I have to go pick Jang Mi up."

Min hissed in sympathy, "Today's the day, huh?"

He didn't respond, simply looking down and nodding.

"Good luck," she called as he left the room. She didn't expect him to reply with a 'thank you' or anything; his mind was probably already imagining how it would all go. She really hoped the best for him because he deserved to have a good night – whether or not he would was left up to someone else to decide unfortunately.

"Jang Mi is Jimin's sister?" Yoongi said, pulling her from her thoughts.

"Yup," she replied, popping the 'p'.

Yoongi's eyebrows furrowed, "But they have different last names, right? Are they like step siblings or something?"

Min shook her head, "That's a long story that Jimin will tell you if he feels comfortable… what about you? How do you guys even know each other?"

Yoongi shrugged, "I threw this party ages ago and I must have gotten ridiculously drunk because I vomited all over myself and passed out with the house a mess. When I woke up, basically everyone was gone apart from him, who had cleaned me up and was cleaning the rest of the house."

She nodded, "That sounds a lot like Jimin."

"Ever since then, we've been friends," he added.

Snorting, Min joked, "I'd love to see you that drunk."

Chuckling, he shook his head, "Trust me, you wouldn't. My vomit was absolutely gross; it had like bits and was kind of mushy-"

"-ew, I get the point," she grimaced.

Smirking, Yoongi continued, "I think it was this weird green colour but it had pieces that were orange. Don’t even get me started on the smell-"

"-I'm not listening," Min shouted, covering her ears while singing, "LA, LA, LA, LA…"

"It smelt like rotten eggs and strangely, mint chocolate ice-cream. I think that's what gave it the green colour-"

"-I swear to god, Min Yoongi if you don't stop talking right now, I'm going to vomit all over your feet."

He shrugged, as if he didn't care, "Whatever, it's not like I'm wearing expensive socks. Anyway as I was saying-"

"-your face, I'll vomit on your face," she narrowed her eyes at him in anger.

Yoongi couldn't stop the grin that grew on his face. He loved how much he was clearly getting to her, so her threats didn't stop him. "Do as you wish," he raised his eyebrows in challenge," So what was I saying… the smell, oh yeah, the smell was-"

"-your recording equipment," Min blurted. It was a low blow but she was done listening to his vivid description of his vomit. Watching his reaction, she noticed how his grin dropped slightly as he paused.

"Excuse me?"

"I will vomit all over your equipment and computers," she grinned as he frowned at her, eyes narrowed. Success, she thought as she watched him glare at her.

Through gritted teeth, he scowled at her, "You did not just threaten my babies."

"I did," she replied, holding eye contact.

"You wouldn't."

"Wanna bet?" she raised her eyebrows. When he didn't drop eye contact, she began to fake gag. Her family was full of actors and actresses, so she knew a little something about the art of pretending. Turning her chair to face the stuff, she began to fake gag with her all might, pleased when she could see Yoongi freaking out from the corner of her eye. Before she could say she was kidding, she heard a battle cry and was suddenly no longer in her seat.

In fact, she was over Yoongi's shoulder – she could tell because all she could see was his upside down back and he was running with her to the living room. Kicking her legs, she struggled until he threw her onto the sofa. That was kind of fun, she thought, before deciding she wanted to continue playing this game. Getting up from her lying position on the sofa, she sprinted back to the studio but didn't make it far as Yoongi grabbed her waist, pulling her back.

"Kim Minyoung, you are not funny!" he yelled as he threw her back onto the sofa.

Rising again, she shouted, "Me and the rest of the world would beg to differ!" as she ran for the door again. He just about managed to grab her waist again this time but since she was struggling, he lost his balance, tripping over his own feet.

Min braced herself as they fell to the ground, her landing on the bottom while Yoongi was on top of her. Luckily for her, he had placed his hands out, so instead of ending up on her, he was just above her, his hands caging her in. They looked at each other with wide eyes, both of them breathing deeply.        Min had never been this close to Yoongi before – at least she didn't think she had – and the reaction she was having was weird.

Wanting to get some space to think, she blurted, "Chill out, Mama Bear. I'm not gonna harm your babies."

Yoongi didn't look away from her eyes as he replied, "I'm chill."

Frowning, Min contemplated pushing him off, deciding that could backfire, she ended up just saying, "If you're chill, then can you get off me please?"

He didn't get off, instead opening his mouth to reply. He didn't get the chance however, as J-Hope came out of his room, pausing as he noticed the two on the floor. "Everything okay here?" he asked, feeling as if he'd interrupted something.

Yoongi jumped in surprise, his hands removing themselves from the floor and him doing his best to scramble up. Min lay on the floor for another second, sighing in relief before standing up herself. They both looked at J-Hope as if they'd been caught misbehaving by their father. J-Hope just stared at them in confusion, eyebrows raised as he waited for a response.

"It was his fault!" Min exclaimed, pointing at Yoongi.

He glared at her finger as if he would bite it off, causing her to pull it back protectively. "She's lying," Yoongi said, all the while glaring at Min.

"How am I?" she frowned, "You're the one who was talking about your vomit!"

Yoongi rolled his eyes, "Oh my gosh, you're such a girl."

"You see that J-Hope? He's such a ," she pouted.

J-Hope looked between the two of them as if he had no idea what he was supposed to do. Shaking his head, he said, "Firstly, call me Hoseok."

Min's pout grew as she nodded, even though she was really happy that he thought of her as enough of a friend to drop the stage names. Yoongi just scoffed at his comment, crossing his arms in annoyance.

"Secondly, I don't know which one of you guys is telling the truth so we should just compromise."

"Compromise?" they both asked at the same time, eyebrows raised.

"Just apologise to each other and then get back to work," he sighed.

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi faced Min, looking rather annoyed as he spat, "Sorry."

The boys both waited for her to say the same but she shook her head in fury. "You didn't sound like you meant it," she complained.

Yoongi's eyebrows furrowed, "How old are you again?"

"Just say it!" Hoseok exclaimed. Min grinned in triumph at him, sticking her tongue out in victory.

"I'm so, so, so very sorry that you didn't appreciate my amazing tale," Yoongi said, with as much mock sincerity he could muster.

"Amazing tale?" she snorted.

"Yah, it was beautiful tale of friendship and the harsh effects of partying," he gasped, looking as if he was really offended.

She rolled her eyes, about to refute when Hoseok cleared his throat, "Min. It's your turn."

Sighing as deeply as she could, she glared at Yoongi, "I'm also sorry that you couldn't tell fake gagging when you saw it."

"That's the best we're probably going to get," Hoseok sighed, "I'm going back to my room and please – try to control yourselves."

Min and Yoongi watched him go before looking back and scowling at each other. They faced off for a good few minutes before Yoongi broke the stare to go get a drink. She waited for him to return and when he did, they got back to work as if none of that had even happened.

Looking around the office she had been in many times before, Yunji's knee shook as she waited for Director GD to show up. He'd given her the key and told her to go wait in his office for him. She had no idea what he was doing for so long but she did know that sitting in there by herself was bringing  her a great deal of discomfort. For some reason she felt like she was violating some unsaid rule.

Her discomfort was slightly lifted as the door opened, squeaking slightly as it did so. Director GD waltzed in the room, throwing himself into the chair and rolling as close to the desk as possible. He didn't say anything at first, just looking on his desk for something. When he didn't find it, he clicked his fingers and pointed at Min, "Have you seen my copy of the last showcase meeting we had?"

Min shook her head as she reached into her bag and pulled out a spare copy of the notes she'd made for him at the meeting. She liked to be prepared so she had several spare copies of things. Handing it to him, she smiled politely.

"Isn't this yours?" he frowned as he took it.

"It's a s-s-spare," she reassured.

Director GD nodded, looking pleased as he replied, "I knew I picked you for a reason."

Yunji smiled shyly, her cheeks flushing. She looked at her shoes as she waited for him to finish reading the paper. When he did, he placed it down before looking at her very seriously. "So… the list?" he asked.

She nodded rapidly; she had been waiting for him to bring it up. Pulling out the black notebook, she had written who had agreed to join in and who had refused – well ran away.

"So nine out of ten, huh?" GD smirked, "That's pretty good."

Yunji just nodded slightly.

"Who is it that I need to hunt down then?" he questioned.

"J-Joo Jang M-Mi," she answered.

He frowned, "You wrote here that she ran away?"

"W-we tried a-a-approaching her b-but s-she r-r-ran every time," Yunji explained.

"Looks like she'll be a challenge then," he said, looking as if he was thinking carefully. He put his hand on his chin, scratching it absentmindedly. "Okay, leave her to me," he told her.

Yunji nodded, wondering what he could possibly do to change her mind. If she knew about the list then she may also know that Director GD commissioned it. Chances are that she'd change directions if she saw him as well. However she could also see him running after her – in a full on sprint – somehow she could also see him recruiting the other professors to chase her down. Like their own small Avengers team. She grinned at the idea of it.

"Oh, by the way, I sent something to be printed in the resources," he said, searching through the drawers, "Give them this and they'll give it to you. Take them and give them to all the other showcase staff."

She took the slip of paper he was handing her – it was a kind of receipt. Nodding, she looked at him expectantly, waiting to see if there was anything more he wanted her to do for him. To her relief, he shook his, saying, "You can go now. Thanks, Yunji."

Yunji smiled politely, bowing in her seat before grabbing her bag and leaving. As the door clicked shut behind her, she stared down at the slip of paper. She was happy that there wasn't much staff to give it to but it was still another tedious job. Shrugging, she readjusted her bag on her shoulder before making her way down the hallway. You got to do, what you go to do.

"Just knock on the door already," Jang Mi sighed as she stared at Jimin's raised fist on the door. He gave her a look that said 'I'm doing my best' and took a deep breath as if filling himself with courage. With his chest still puffed out, he was about to hit the door when a hand grabbed his. It was Jang Mi's and he looked over at her in confusion.

"Sorry," she grinned sheepishly, "I wasn't ready."

"And yet you tried to rush me," he scoffed. Waiting a couple of seconds, he took in another deep breath before turning to look at her. "Are you ready now?"

She thought about it for a second before nodding firmly. "Yes, yes, do it," she sighed. He nodded, looking away from her to face the door. As he raised his hand to knock again, Jang Mi covered her eyes with hands as if hiding from a horror movie. When she didn't hear anything for a while, she opened her fingers slightly, just in time to see his hand hit the door. Flinching, she instantly changed her mind. The sound of the knock hitting the door echoed through her mind and she suddenly felt the need to get out of there. Glancing at her brother, she saw that he felt the same as he had the same look of horror she did.

Turning around, they were both about to run back to the car when the door to the house opened, revealing their disappointed mother. She had her arms crossed and her lips pursed. "So, you thought you could just 'Knock Door, Run', me huh?"

Jimin and Jang Mi looked at each other, urging the other to speak. When neither did, their mother sighed, shaking her head, "You guys are ridiculous. Come on, get in," she frowned.

They nodded obediently, following her into the house. It smelled of nice food, meaning that their father had cooked because he was the only one that could. Jimin and Jang Mi shared a reassuring look with one another as they entered the dining room to see the table mostly set. Their father was nowhere to be seen; it was a relief as they weren't quite ready to see him yet. They took their usual seats at the table, which was next to each other and opposite their parents.

Please let him sit opposite Jang Mi, Jimin mentally prayed, even though it had been his idea to go home in the first place. He felt slightly guilty, but after glancing at his sister, he could tell that she was wishing for the exact same thing as him. Calling her a traitor would make him one as well, so he just shrugged, continuing to pray. Their mother had left to go to the kitchen, so they were just sat there fidgeting nervously.

"This was a bad idea," Jang Mi muttered, looking around. He figured she was probably looking for a place to hide or better yet, an escape route.

Shrugging, Jimin sighed, "We're here now. It's too late to back out."

"It's never too late," she frowned, staring at the window.

Jimin snorted, "What are you gonna do? Jump out of the window?"

"Maybe," she looked back to him, "Do you think it'd work?"

He shook his head, whispering, "I think Mom would dive after you. You'd get about two metres away before she dragged you back by your ear."

Jang Mi giggled quietly, "You're right. She'd go all Wonder Woman on me, throw her lasso of truth, tie me up and then drag me back."

He chuckled, "Don't you mean her lasso of overbearingness?"

Jang Mi's eyebrows furrowed as she shook her head lightly, "Sorry, Minnie but that joke ." She glanced at him to see he was pouting. Laughing at his face, she patted his back, "A+ for effort though."

He scoffed, about to mess her hair up when their parents came back. They stopped their laughing in that moment, Jang Mi looking down at the table in discomfort while Jimin stared at the wall. He could feel their father's stare on him but he couldn't bring himself to look up and make eye contact. This was the first time he had seen this man in ages but he still couldn't do anything about it.

Jimin flinched as he heard the plates his parents held placed on the table. Feeling a surge of courage, he looked up – his eyes meeting his mother's. She looked concerned as she held a small frown her face as she eyed him and his sister. They took a seat and his mother began dishing the food out.

Once out, everyone began eating – Jang Mi still staring at the table and Jimin looking everywhere but straight ahead; all his praying had been for naught.

"So, I'm glad you finally decided to give us the pleasure of your presence," their father muttered. To his side, he saw Jang Mi look up for a second before looking back down. "What was the occasion?"

When neither him or Jang Mi replied – him out of cowardess and Jang Mi because she was currently choking on her food – his mother chuckled nervously, "They probably got tired of take out and ramen, right guys?"

They both nodded in agreement, Jang Mi sipping her drink.

"Jang Mi," their father chose to acknowledge her specifically. "How is school going?"

She looked up at him, smiling nervously, "It's fine."

Jimin watched as their father's eyebrows furrowed in disappointment. "Just fine?"

"Well," Jang Mi seemed to be resisting the urge to shrug as she sighed, "It's just the same as always."

"You haven't picked a major yet, have you?"

Frowning, Jimin felt ignored and also angry. He hated that their father was acting as if he wasn't there and he was also annoyed that he was interrogating Jang Mi like that. He knew what was to come – a lecture about how medicine was what she should pick but he also knew that she didn't want to do that.

Looking down in shame, she shook her head, "Not yet, no."

"Why not?" he continued.

"Dear," their mother frowned, trying to stop their father from continuing. That did nothing though.

"Don't worry, honey, I'm just asking," he reassured her, before turning back to Jang Mi.

She opened and closed it several times before settling for, "I don't know what I want to do yet."

"Yes but why? The route seems logical that you take medicine, you're smart and you-"

"-I don't want to do medicine, Dad!" she exclaimed, looking down at her plate seconds after.

Their father scoffed, "Oh right, of course. I forgot that you wanted to sing."

"Dad," Jang Mi pouted at her plate.

"No, no, tell me. I want to know. Another singing recital coming up? We all know how the last one went."

Jang Mi flinched at his words and Jimin could see her eyes were teary. Not many things could make Joo Jang Mi cry. There was a short list, most of it consisted of family, her closest friends (Min and Taehyung) and really, really, good food. There were obviously some exceptions but basically it was hard to make her cry. This is why when Jimin saw her eyes glass over; he couldn't help but ball his hands into fists.

"Should I bring a bucket and some mops or do you-"

"-stop!" Jimin yelled, finally making eye contact with the man in front of him. He could see their mother and Jang Mi staring wide eyed at him as he stared down their father.

"Excuse me?" Their father looked surprised – as if he couldn't believe that Jimin would stand up to him. In fact, Jimin couldn't believe it either.

"I said, stop. Leave her alone," Jimin didn't break their eye contact, "Jang Mi is an amazing singer and she doesn't deserve to be put down by you because of something that happened years ago."

His eyes narrowed as he hissed, "I believe this was a family conversation. Last I checked, you are not a member of the 'Joo' family."

Jimin's eyes widened at the low blow. He knew that his father held that against him but he didn't expect him to bring it up just like that. Everyone else must have been the same because his mother gasped, "Jihoon!" at the same time, Jang Mi exclaimed, "Dad!"

"What?" he frowned at them, "It's true."

"That's beside the point," his mother frowned.

"Is it? Why is he here? It was his decision to not be a part of this family!"

"Yes because of you!" Jang Mi shouted, "You're the one who forced him out!"

Jimin didn't know what to say. He didn't want them arguing for him because like it or not, he was partly to blame for their current family situation. He knew that and his father knew that. That's why when his father redirected his eyes to Jimin, raising an eyebrow, he knew what was coming.

"Did I?" he asked, staring at Jimin, "Did I force you out?"

Clenching his jaw, Jimin glared at the man in front of him. He knew the truth; that he wasn't forced out completely. That it was his decision. He also knew it was a mistake – something he regretted when he looked back on. However, he was raised by the man in front of him and that meant that traits rubbed off. He was a proud guy and he would not admit his failures there – not for him to hear. Shaking his head, Jimin sat up from his seat, storming out of the room and out of the house.

He heard his mother and Jang Mi calling him but he didn't stop until he got into the car and slammed the door shut. Taking deep breaths to calm himself down, he turned the engine on, putting on a random radio station in order to help. It didn't and he scrolled through them as Jang Mi got into the car. He didn't look at her, continuing to scroll through the radio.

"Thanks for not leaving me," she mumbled.

Jimin paused his actions, shoulders heavy with the guilt of the past. "I didn't leave you last time."

"No, you didn't," she nodded, "You just pushed me away. Literally."

He frowned at the memory, the only noise filling the car being Kara's Mamma Mia. He considered whether to tell Jang Mi what he was feeling but worried she wouldn't understand – that she couldn't understand. Releasing a breath, he ended up blurting, "He's right, you know."

"What?" she frowned.

"I… it was all me."

"No, no-"

"-yes. You never got the full story so-"

"-don't do that," she glared at him, "Don't treat me like a child who doesn't understand. I was there, Jimin. I know what happened."

"You don't," he shook his head adamantly, "You really don't. You've let your experiences with him demonise him – you're bias to the whole situation. Everything that happened before… it wasn't just him. It was me too. You know what I'm like."

He left a gap of speech for her to respond with but she didn't, staring at her hands.

"I'm short tempered and do things without thinking. That was one of them. I was grieving and angry and resentful-"

"-wait… are you trying to tell me that you?" she sounded surprised.

"Yes. It was my decision. A stupid, compulsive one but completely mine."

"But… why?"

He sighed, shaking his head, "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me," she urged him.

"Not today. I'm tired today," he frowned, "Maybe next week."

She scoffed, "You're lying."

Jimin couldn't help but smile at that, "I am."

They sat without talking for a few more seconds, Kara's song ending and being replaced with Winner's Empty. Jang Mi looked at the radio before softly singing along. Jimin smiled at her, enjoying the sound of her voice. Settling back into his seat, he put his belt on before urging her to do the same. She did so and with that, he began driving away, Jang Mi singing the whole time.

"You know, you really do have a beautiful voice," Jimin told her.

She just smiled shyly at him, "Right back at you, Minnie."

Author's Note: Hellooooooo! So, I'm late but in my defence, I was in Wales visiting family up until Monday and then on Tuesday it was my birthday and then Christmas Eve and Christmas happened so you know O_o Here's chapter twelve and it is long. Literally, on Word it was nine pages long and over 4,000 words (usually each chapter is around 3,000 - 3,600) so you see what I mean. I hope you enjoy the chapter anyway and I added a sprinkle of family drama for you so ^.^ Unfortunately, next update will not be until next year because... life? I dunno. As always, you should subscribe and comments are totally welcomed (consider it a birthday and Christmas present for me (also, I reply to all of them so yeah...) ) I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you a Happy New Year! See you on the otherside! (Sorry for the overly long author's note X_X lol)