Chapter 3 - A Date With Hyuk

After Effect

        "Can I walk you home?" Sanghyuk asked, while throwing on his coat and undoing his tie. "I see that you didn't drive here today, and I just got off work."

        Taekwoon smiled at the observant young man. "If you really want to, but my house is probably far from yours." He took some of the whipped cream from his cake onto his fork and ate it.

        "I don't care. I just want to spend more time with you." Sanghyuk sat down kitty corner from the older man and put his elbows on the table. He smiled at Taekwoon and a light blushed crawled across his face when the older man smiled back at him.

        "Let me finish my cake." Taekwoon took the strawberry off the whipped cream and the excess off.

        "Y'know, it was me who added your cake to the ones in the display." Sanghyuk said, watching him take little bites of the strawberry, wishing that he'd get a small bite of it.

        "Thank you. I've seen it's become quite popular now." Taekwoon noticed that Sanghyuk was staring at the strawberry and smiled when he realized that Sanghyuk would be okay with eating it though he's already eaten part of it. "Would you like me to give you a bite of the strawberry?"

        "If you're okay with that, please." Sanghyuk smiled widely.

        "Are you okay with eating part of it though I've already eaten some of it?" Taekwoon swung it side to side by the stem and looked down at his cake, with a small smirk on his face.

        "Yes! It's not like your spit is poison!" Sanghyuk said, hoping that he was right, and was more focused on the swinging strawberry. Taekwoon reached over, and held it near Sanghyuk's mouth to feed him. Sanghyuk noticed that he was going to feed him, and then burst out laughing out of embarrassment. "Are you going to feed me?"

        "That was the idea." Taekwoon said, with a bashful smile. He hoped that they were close enough to do that. "Unless you don't want me to."

        "No! It's not!" Sanghyuk didn't care that his blush was very apparent. "Not a problem. Please."

        "Okay." Taekwoon reached over and held it close to his mouth, and Sanghyuk leaned to meet it and took a small bite. "Ah, that was so cute."

        "Me? Cute? No. I'm manly." In truth, Sanghyuk was happy that Taekwoon thought he was cute. He didn't want to admit it because he's already embarrassed himself enough for today. This was Taekwoon's affect on him though, he was always nervous that he'd embarrass himself, and being around him made it worse.

        "Let's go with cute." Taekwoon took a bite of the strawberry, then fed Sanghyuk again. "You may be manly, but you can also be cute."

        Sanghyuk smiled at his comment. Somehow, it made him smile, though he was still saying that he was cute. He watched as Taekwoon finished the strawberry and put the stem on the napkin next to the plate. "My turn?" He asked cheekily, taking Taekwoon's fork and plate and getting a bite and balancing it on the fork.

        "To feed me?" Taekwoon was surprised that Sanghyuk would try what he just did, and it gave him butterflies. He wasn't expecting it, and that was a fun feeling.

        "Well, you just did, so I thought I'd return the favor." He brought the fork close to Taekwoon's mouth while chuckling, thinking that Taekwoon would never let him. Instead, Taekwoon leaned forward and ate it, getting another bashful smile, and covering his face. "You're cuter."

        "No..." Taekwoon mumbled out, looking between his fingers at the young man who looked as embarrassed as he felt.

        "It's the truth so deal with it." Sanghyuk said, having a bite of it as well. He laughed, making Taekwoon feel a little better about being like that.

        "I have no choice in the matter do I?" Taekwoon asked before getting fed another bite of the cake.

        "Nope. Kind of like how I'm gonna walk you home." Sanghyuk said before taking a bite of his own.

        The stared at each other, and then smiled uncontrollably. Sanghyuk put the fork down and covered his face to hide the blush that was readily apparent. Taekwoon looked down at the table, and grabbed his coffee and took a small sip. He felt so nervous around this younger man. It felt crazy.

        "What if we pass your house?" Taekwoon asked, taking his fork from the table and starting to eat his cake by himself.

        "Then I'll tell you. If you want to come in and see my house, then tell me." Sanghyuk said leaning back and stretching. He looked back down to see a bite waiting for him. "Are you feeding me again?"

        "I was." Taekwoon brought it close to Sanghyuk's mouth and waited for him to try to take a bite from it. When he tried, Taekwoon took it away and ate it himself. He smiled, seeing Sanghyuk's betrayed expression. It was adorable.

        "That was mean, Taekwoon." Sanghyuk whispered, watching Taekwoon get another bite and holding it out for him to eat. He leaned and was allowed the bite this time.

        "I thought it was cute." Taekwoon smiled at the younger man.

        It was too hard for him to stay angry at the older man, he was too cute. "I'll forgive you just this once." Sanghyuk reached over and took a sip of Taekwoon's coffee and put it down before he could get angry at him for having some of it without asking.

        "That's good." Taekwoon said, finishing the cake and wiping his mouth with the napkin. "So, guess what I heard happened to Hakyeon last night."

        Hearing the name of the leader of their old group made Sangyuk immediately curious. "What? Is something wrong?"

        "No, nothing's wrong. He spent the night with Jaehwan, that's all." Taekwoon only knew that because he went to Hatoful Cafe, one of the places that Hakyeon works, for lunch and he wasn't there. Jaehwan called him in.

        "Do you think they're together?" Sanghyuk always thought that those two had something going on, but never told anyone nor asked anyone about it.

        "That's not something you ask so easily." Taekwoon said, standing up and messing with his scarf. He picked up his jacket from behind his chair and slipped it on. "I don't think they'd do something like that to ruin their friendship like that."

        "But there's a chance that it might have happened." Sanghyuk picked up the dishes while Taekwoon picked up his coffee. They put them where the dishes are supposed to go, and then started walking out.

        Taekwoon's phone binged, a text. "Oh." He took his phone out and looked at who it was from. "It's Hakyeon."

        "Ooh, what's it say?" Sanghyuk held the door open for Taekwoon while he read it. He walked to the side of Taekwoon that was holding the coffee and took it so he could hold his hand.

        "He wants us to come to Jaehwan's house." Taekwoon walked slowly, not even noticing that he was now holding hands with Sanghyuk. "He says he's not home right now."

        "Then let's go to his house." Sanghyuk took a drink from the coffee and looked over at the phone.

        "I just asked why." Taekwoon hoped that they wouldn't have to go, but he knew that Hakyeon would make them come over.

        "It should be something important. He never texts you." Sanghyuk was so used to spending his days with Taekwoon, that he knew that none of them texted each other unless they were doing something weird. A bing. Such a fast response.

        "He says that he needs to talk to me about something important, and we shouldn't talk over text about it." Taekwoon looked up at Sanghyuk, silently pleading that nothing was wrong. "I'll ask if I can bring you."

        "Go for it. I hope he's okay." Sanghyuk reached the coffee over to let him drink it, which he did. He then drank from it himself and smiled. Taekwoon's coffee was slowly becoming his favorite coffee.

        Another bing. "He says it's fine. Should we hurry?" Taekwoon looked up at the slightly taller man for an answer. It was a little chilly though the sun was completely out, but that didn't help the temperature.

        "It's not that far from here. We can get there in 5 or 6 minutes if we run." Sanghyuk brought the side of his mouth up shrugged. He didn't want to spill Taekwoon's coffee. Taekwoon would hate him if he did that.

        "Then let's go." Taekwoon let go of his hand and started running, leaving Sanghyuk in his dust. Sanghyuk sighed and dropped his arms to his sides. He started chasing after the older to the best of his abilities without spilling Taekwoon's coffee and trying not to slip on the ice that covered the sidewalks.

 

        The both stood at the door, breathless and tired from running. Taekwoon knocked 3 times, and hoped that the door was locked so he wouldn't have to invite himself in. Soon enough, Hakyeon opened the door and smiled at them. He looked them over and heard their labored breathing.  "I thought you guys were going to drive. Did you run here?"

        "Taekwoon walked to the shop." Sanghyuk stood up from leaning on the porch rails and took a drink from the coffee.

        "So no. Well come in. Jaehwan's not home, so I'm kind of house sitting." Hakyeon got out of their way and motioned them in. They came willing into the warm and inviting house. They took off their coats and scarves and boots at the door and then went into the living room.

        "I went to the cafe, and you weren't  there. Jaehwan called you in." Taekwoon sat on one side of the couch, opposite of Hakyeon, and Sanghyuk sat in the chair to the side of them.

        "I passed out last night when we were getting hot chocolate." Hakyeon looked at his hands and laughed like it was a joke.        

        "That's horrible." Taekwoon said to make Hakyeon keep talking about it.

        "Well, then he found out that I was working two jobs and not eating." Hakyeon's expression changed from his normally happy smile to a sad looking one. "And now I'm staying with him for a while so he can make sure I don't hurt myself like that again."

        "I'm glad, but is that was you needed to talk to me about?" Taekwoon asked, reaching over and holding Hakyeon's hands.

        "We slept together last night and I don't know what to think anymore." Hakyeon said all in one breath and tears started streaming from his eyes without prompting. Sanghyuk saw this and wanted to say something, but knew that Hakyeon was talking to his best friend, and not him.

        "Think about what?" Taekwoon asked, getting a hug from Hakyeon, who needed a shoulder to cry on.

        "I swear I'm straight, but he always makes me nervous and blushy and he took care of me last night and slept with me last night..." Hakyeon said, getting pats on the back from Taekwoon who was now pinned under him. "I don't know anymore."

        "What happened between you two last night?" Taekwoon asked, letting the man let out all of his feelings right there.

        "I told him that I was on a budget for a while, and he decided to make me soup, and we started stirring our hot chocolates, and I passed out. He carried me to the living room and put me under covers and told me that I needed to get more sleep. I asked him why he loved Christmas so much and he told me, but then left to finish the soup. When it was done, he brought a bowl out to me and made sure I ate it. I did the same and then afterwards we got to arguing about sleep and whether I should sleep out here or in his bed, but..." Hakyeon dug his face into Taekwoon's shirt and cried  more before he could finish.

        "But what Hakyeon?" Taekwoon sent a pleading look to Sanghyuk to say something, but Sanghyuk shrugged and mouthed that he didn't know what to do.

        "I asked if we could sleep together and both of us slept on the couch and I really liked it and I stared at him for a long time and I even wanted to kiss him a little." Hakyeon inhaled sharply and pushed himself off of Taekwoon and sat up and wiped his tears with his sleeve. "I'm wearing his clothes right now too."

        "It sounds like you're confused about your uality." Sanghyuk said suddenly, making the two older friends look at him. "It's normal. Think about it for a while. You like girls?"

        The sudden question from  Sanghyuk made Hakyeon flustered. "I-I think so."

        "Do you like with girls?" Sanghyuk was shot a glare from the man whom brought him here.

        "I don't like it... , really. I don't." Hakyeon said, getting embarrassed that he was getting help from his youngest friend.

        "But if you were at that point in a relationship, would you still do that?" Sanghyuk knew about different ualities, as he did a paper about them in college to pass one of the English classes.

        "Of course... I can still do it." Hakyeon wasn't exactly sure why he was being asked all these questions.

        "What about boys? Do you like boys?" This was a pivotal question for Hakyeon and he hoped that it would be something that would help him figure out what he was.

        "If it's love, it shouldn't matter." Hakyeon said after a long period of silence between the 3 boys. Taekwoon kept glaring at Sanghyuk and telling him to stop, but Sanghyuk wasn't backing down.

        "It kind of sounds like biual and demiual to me." Sanghyuk looked at the carpet and brought a hand up to his chin while he thought.

        "What's that?" Hakyeon asked the younger  man who seemed to know all the answers. He knew what biual was, but demiual was a brand new thing to him.

        "Like you like someone but you don't want to do it until you think that it's time, like you think you're ready for it. The other person would be okay with having y time like anytime, but until you think that you're absolutely ready for it, it won't be a fun experience for you and maybe even turn off that ual desire for anyone." Sanghyuk answered to the best of his abilities. This was not one he knew well. "If that made any sense."

        Hakyeon nodded and they all went silent again. Then the door opened  to reveal Wonshik, who looked like he had been crying. Everyone looked at him and were surprised to see him. He looked up and blushed. "Where's Jaehwan?" He asked, his voice cracking at the end in a painful sounding way.

        "Not home. He gets off in 20 minutes." Hakyeon said, seeing Wonshik turn to leave, and he tried to make him stay. "But what's wrong? You've been crying. Please come back."

        Wonshik turned back inside and started taking his winter things off and came over to the couch where everyone was sitting. "I need to talk to Jaehwan."

        "Please tell us what's wrong." Hakyeon reached for the younger man with open arms. The man whom had just been crying was being what he normally was, the shoulder that other people cried on. Wonshik let himself go and went into his arms crying.

        "I was so close to telling Hongbin that I loved him last night, but got ahead of myself and kissed him instead and I probably just ruined everything I've been working hard for and ruined our relationship." Wonshik cried onto Hakyeon's shoulder while Hakyeon pat his back.

         "I don't think that you ruined your relationship with Hongbin. I think that Hongbin wasn't as ready as you were for that. You guys were always so close anyway, that it was already like you were dating." Hakyeon said, trying his best to make the young man feel better. Taekwoon looked over at Sanghyuk and frowned.

         "Should we leave you guys to it then?" Taekwoon asked, patting Hakyeon's shoulder and rubbing Wonshik's hair.

         "I'm sorry I took you guys from your date." Hakyeon said while looking back at Taekwoon. Taekwoon blushed an obvious blush, and so did Sanghyuk. He hit the nail on the head, saying that they were on a date. "Oh, come on, you're perfect for each other, don't try to hide it from me."

        Wonshik looked up from his crying and wiped his face while snifflng and looked at the two of them. "You guys are dating?"

         It was such a blunt word for what they were. Sanghyuk looked down and knew that he was blushing so much he probably looked like a tomato. "I wouldn't call it that." Taekwoon said out of embarrassment.

        "Go out and go on a date then, or like hang out. I'll take care of Wonshik." Hakyeon waved for them to leave and the couple got up and looked at each other again.

        "Okay... Tell me what happens with them, okay?" Taekwoon said, holding Hakyeon's hand with intertwined fingers and shaking it. Hakyeon nodded and smiled up at him.

        "Thanks, you two. I needed that. Now go." Hakyeon said, watching them go start changing into their winter clothes. He then looked down and started to Wonshik's hair and whispering things to him. Taekwoon and Sanghyuk started to head out the door, when Hakyeon spoke again. "Have fun on your date, you two."

        They smiled back at the older man and waved as they left. Sanghyuk stopped as he was about to close the door, and ran back in. "I'm sorry, I forgot Taekwoon's coffee." He grabbed the half finished coffee and raced back out, almost slamming the door behind himself. Taekwoon glared at him, and he smiled a sheepish smile. "I still have your coffee."

        "Sanghyuk are we dating?" Taekwoon asked, holding hands with the younger man again. Sanghyuk flushed, surprised by the question.

        "I don't know." Sanghyuk looked at the snow and ice covered sidewalk to avoid Taekwoon's gaze.

        "Do you not want to date? I get it." Taekwoon wanted to date him. To other people, it probably looked like they were dating. He wanted to start doing that, so they wouldn't get so embarrassed when people assumed that they were.

        "No!" Sanghyuk stopped and pulled him back, into a hug. "I want to date you."

        "I want to date you too." Taekwoon nuzzled into Sanghyuk's soft scarf and wrapped his arms around the younger man's waist.  "I feel like there's a but to this."

        "I didn't know if you were okay with having a boyfriend." Sanghyuk said, probably sounding like a nervous teenager to Taekwoon. It was bad enough that he didn't have much dating experience, but this was a man that he's known for a long time that he really liked for a long time.

        "If it's you, I'm okay with it." Taekwoon looked up and saw Sanghyuk's surprised expression. "Really, I am."

        "So, you'd be my boyfriend if I asked?" Sanghyuk was excited with the idea of dating his best friend.

        "Yes." Taekwoon was let go by Sanghyuk and he let go from around his waist.

        "Taekwoon, will you be my boyfriend?" Sanghyuk asked, getting a wide smile.

        "Yes. Will you be my boyfriend too?" Taekwoon asked, getting hugged again.

        "Of course." Sanghyuk picked up the older man and spun him around. They laughed together, and then kissed. They awkwardly bumped their noses together and struggled to not smile while they had their lips against each others.

 

        This was going to be a more fun afternoon than they were expecting.