Chapter 1 - Hongbin's Evening With Ravi

After Effect

        Hongbin was draped across the couch like a decorative blanket. In front of him, the fireplace was lit and crackling. Outside, it was snowing, almost a blizzard. He yawned, but his phone vibrated and took his attention away. A text from Wonshik. No matter what it said, he was willing to read it.

        "Can I come over?" Was the text. Hongbin smiled widely, revealing his dimples. He always loved it when Wonshik would come over. They'd always just hang out or play video games, or even bake (Wonshik had a soft spot for baking). Anything they did, it was more fun together. Then another text. "The apartment's heating is broken again."

        "Sure. Door's open." Hongbin sent back, sitting up and stretching. He would have made fun of him for the somewhat provocative pose he was in. Then the door burst open and a giant penguin walked in and closed the door behind itself. Two mitten-ed hands came out of the sleeves and undid the humongous coat. There he was, Wonshik in the flesh.

        "Oh my god! Remind me to never walk in a blizzard ever again!" Wonshik started discarding his winter clothes left and right in Hongbin's doorway. "I should have had you pick me up!"

        Hongbin happily watched him strip down to an oversized white sweater with sleeves longer than his arms. The bottom half was a stark difference, tight black skinny jeans that hugged his curves (if you can say that) just right. "You could have told me."

        'I like to surprise you though!" Wonshik was now completely out of those clothes, so he started gathering them up to put on the coat tree that was there. "I almost don't have to ask anymore."

        "You have a key." Hongbin got up and walked over to his same aged friend, and was engulfed in a tight hug. "Ey!~"

        "I know I have a key." Wonshik said letting him go but keeping a tight hold on one of his hands. He dragged Hongbin to the couch, and sat down. Hongbin did the same, and got an arm wrapped around his shoulders. "I love fireplaces."

        "They make me sleepy." Hongbin said getting a chuckle from Wonshik. "What? They do! I almost fell asleep waiting for you to text me."

        "You waited for me? It's 11 at night! If you're sleepy, go to bed!" Wonshik said, getting obviously worried about Hongbin. This made Hongbin laugh. Wonshik was always so protective of him, and it was adorable. Hakyeon always said so, anyway.

        "But this is the first time you've visited today! We need to do something together before I'll let myself sleep." Hongbin knew that Wonshik was glaring at him more and more as he said it. He was almost afraid to look at him.

        "You need to let yourself sleep though." Wonshik's voice was soft and full of worry. The amount that they hung out, it was obvious that Wonshik would know things like that. "You're getting exhausted easier and easier. It's making me worried about you."

        Wonshik leaned in closed and pressed his nose to Hongbin's cheek, which would always make Hongbin smile. Then Wonshik kissed his cheek. Normally, doing this to each other was more of a joke than anything, but there was something different about this.

        "Let me put you to bed." Wonshik said as he hovered near Hongbin's ear after pulling away from the kiss. "You need to get your rest."

        "Later." Hongbin protested. He wanted to spend more time with Wonshik, and he wouldn't take a no. "You just got here."

        "I was sleeping over anyway. I might as well sleep with you to make sure you go to bed." He pressed his nose against Hongbin's hot with embarrassment cheek before kissing him again. Wonshik stood up and dragged the embarrassed artwork up with him.

        "You want to sleep with me?" That was all Hongbin got out of Wonshik's statement. Wonshik laughed and dragged him to the kitchen, where the couple were always happy together.

        "Of course I want to sleep with you! I would like nothing less!" Wonshik placed his artwork on one of the bar stools under the island that Hongbin had in his kitchen. He opened the cabinets next to the kitchen and grabbed two cups for them. "But if you want to stay up for a little bit, I'm not gonna stop you."

        "You're being too overprotective of me. Can't you calm down about it?" Hongbin watched as he started making hot chocolate for them. He was always so cute when he cooked.. Or did anything really.

        "You're shaking! You have dark circles under your eyes! Did you think I wouldn't notice?" Wonshik said as he shakily poured the chocolate mix into the small mugs. He felt like crying, seeing Hongbin get weaker and weaker everyday.

        Hongbin felt different than before. Sure, he felt weak, but he was okay with it. He needed the money, so he'd pull more hours at the diner. Nothing he hasn't done before.

        "And I've seen you! You're pulling more hours at the diner again!" Wonshik said, turning around once he was done pouring the mixes into the cups. "The last time you did that, you fainted 'cause of exhaustion, and were sent to the hospital."

        "That won't happen this time. It's only a couple more hours a week." Hongbin said with a fake smile. He didn't remember what happened then very much. He remembers that he was still a waiter then, and he felt woozy. But apparently, he fainted when he was walking to get an order. He remembers waking up in a hospital with a note that said he shouldn't work for at least a week. But that was it.

        "You're going in at 4 in the morning when I keep you up until midnight. You don't sleep when we hang out, so I don't think you're sleeping at all. This isn't healthy. I know you don't have work tomorrow, so I'm gonna make sure you get rest." Wonshik was leaning on the counter with his face only inches from Hongbin's.

        "It's fine. Have you even started the water for the hot cocoa?" Hongbin said to avoid having to be that close with Wonshik. But instead of Wonshik pulling away after hearing that, he did nothing. "Wonshik... What are you doing?"

        Hongbin was confused with the close proximity and it slowly got too awkward for him. He tried leaning back away from it, but Wonshik grabbed his chin lightly, silently telling him to stay. Then Wonshik leaned in and pressed their lips together.

        Sparks flew between them, especially on Wonshik's part. As much as he liked being able to touch Hongbin and kiss his cheek and just be generally annoying and lovey-dovey on him, he wanted to solidify their relationship as something real instead of just "really good friends" as Hongbin put it. He wanted Hongbin to like him as much as he liked Hongbin.

        Hongbin was a different story. Kissing would just confuse their relationship up more. He wasn't even sure if he was gay or not. As much as he liked Wonshik, this was too weird for him to figure out.

        Wonshik broke the kiss after almost 20 seconds of them unmoving. He leaned away, and looked at his feet. With the look on Hongbin's face, it was obvious they didn't feel the same. "I'm sorry... I'll make the hot chocolate again."

        It was silent for the rest of the time it took Wonshik to make the hot chocolates. He silently handed Hongbin his cup and retreated to the living room before Hongbin could even say a word. Randomly, Wonshik said this; "I'm gonna sleep on the couch okay? Remember to get some sleep tonight."

        This dug the dagger farther into Hongbin's heart. Wonshik felt bad. Really bad. And Hongbin pushed him away. How could he save this friendship that was more than just friends?