Chapter 2

Anarchic
Please log in to read the full chapter

                “Okay, let me clear this, I’m looking for concrete evidences. Like footage or witness’ statement” SunWoo suggests but only receives three blinks from his client.

                “I don’t have those but I really had a dream, I’m telling you. It’s kind of unclear but I swear it says a lot about the incident” Junghwan’s tone tries to convince nevertheless SunWoo isn’t a least bit convinced.

                “I told you, dreams can’t be used as evidences” SunWoo’s tone elevates. JungHwan says nothing back knowing that his ideas will simply be thrown back at him. SunWoo really wants to drive JungHwan out this time but he thinks it’s a bit rude. He notices how much of an airhead JungHwan is so he might as well give unwanted-visitor-ssi and explanation of his point.

                “Maybe you had a dream. Maybe this dream visits you every single night for the past fourteen years but it’s still a dream. A fiction created by our mind. Dreams are fabricated. They are surreal. If you really are sure that there’s a mistake in the case then come back when you finally have something worth fighting for” SunWoo surprises his self with his own words. They unknowingly come out as inspirational though he never intends to do so.

            He wonders if his point finally made its way inside JungHwan’s skull but he knows it didn’t as he watch JungHwan rummage his bag looking for something. As soon as JungHwan successfully fishes his phone out of his bag, the ringing starts to fill the room and only stops when he put the phone on his ears.

                “Right now?” JungHwan’s expression has both panic and joy.

                 SunWoo is pretty sure JungHwan did not get a thing about what he just said earlier as he watch the boy forget his existence and happily converses on the phone.

                “Didn’t you say you still have class?”

                The voice from the other line comes out as a silent muffled voice to SunWoo so he really can’t decode what they are talking about. He simply sits abandoned on the office chair with a pen on hand.

                “I get it, I get it. Okay. See you. Bye” and JungHwan hangs up. SunWoo immediately tries to take the opportunity to bring JungHwan’s mind back to the topic but the other boy having the faster mouth didn’t let SunWoo say a single word.

                 “You don’t have to drive me out” the statement is the last thing that SunWoo expects for JungHwan to say but SunWoo is glad that he did. JungHwan hops off the desk and turns to the door.

                “Your dog got hit by a car. Yes, you do love that dog but accident is more than enough for you to accept the fact that he’s gone” SunWoo says to the now walking away JungHwan. The ‘dog’ thing is a total guess but SunWoo meant it in a metaphorical way.

               “I have long accepted that-” Junghwan pauses and hesitates to continue, SunWoo is aware on how his fists clench “my dog is gone” he stops in front of the closed door but does not look back to where SunWoo is. “I know that pissing off the officers in this place won’t bring him back to me” his voice nearly cracks for a second as he feels a lump in his throat urging him to stop. He swallows and opens his mouth when he is confident enough that he can speak in a firm voice. “But what if? Just what if it was not an accident? What if the driver intended to hit the dog?”

                SunWoo remains shut. He simply watches as the boy rotates the knob and faces him one last time. “I’m sorry. I know I don’t make sense, I’m going” JungHwan bows then walks away closing the door behind shut.

               SunWoo is supposed to be happy. He successfully completes his first task given to him by his superior. Drive the boy out. He did. The boy is gone. The boy just exited the door. SunWoo sees him and the pain engraved on his face.

                He remains seated on the office chair, pen still on hand and eyes glued on the door. He wonders, did he do anything wrong?

              After a while though, he decides to brush irrelevant ideas off his mind and stood up. He was told to look over the office while his officers are raiding a drug lord’s den. At first, he believes that he’s going to spend the rest of his hour shifting from one chair to another but then he hears a cracking sound under his shoes and he just knows what to do.

               He removes his coat, places it above his bag then he folds his sleeves.

 

               

                JungHwan wipes his eyes with the sleeve of his jacket but never really acknowledges that those are really tears streaming down his face. He doesn’t have time for drama. He half-walk and half-run along the brick pavement as he heads towards his university which is a few blocks away from the police station. He thanks God for that fact, knowing that after his class, he can always go to the station and bug the police.

                After the ever so friendly JungHwan greets twenty people along the way, he reaches his destination. He enters and welcomes him is a speaker-surrounded music room. There is a quite long-haired guy on the corner with a laptop on his lap; he turns to JungHwan and smiles.

                “DongWoo-sunbae!” JungWhan cheerily greets running and plopping down on the floor beside the guy.

                He is a senior at the university. Technically they are best friends but JungHwan respects him so much that he can’t condition his mind in thinking that they are one.

                DongWoo grabs his chin and examines his face with a worried expression.

                “You went to the police station again?” DongWoo questions as he shifts JungHwan’s face from left to right still examining him. JungHwan pushes Dongwoo’s hand away and chuckled.

                “How did you know?” JungHwan asks as if he doesn’t know the answer. “Don’t worry, I won’t be coming back there soon” he assures. “I know that I have nothing yet to win that case”

                DongWoo flashes a speculating look at JungHwan.

                “What did they do to you? Why are you suddenly saying those words?” DongWoo knows that the fight JungHwan started with the police is pointless. He tries to stop JungHwan probably a million times in the past but to no avail. And then now, JungHwan enters the room and starts saying the things that DongWoo spent years trying to explain. Apparently when JungHwan cries, even for just a bit, the skin surrounding his eyes turn to a light shade of crimson, he wipes the final bead of tears on the corner of JungHwan’s eyes then stood up offering a hand to help the younger up.

                “The showcase is getting nearer, shall we practice?” JungHwan accepts the hand and dusts off his pants. DongWoo hands a paper which he believes are the lyrics to the song.

                “Sunbae, are we going with this song?” JungHwan scans the notes and words encrypted.

                “This song balances your explosive and my cold voice. I think it’s perfect” guarantees DongWoo as he turns the speaker on loading the room with the instrumental of a piano.

 

                It is somewhere near midnight when SunWoo is finally able to throw the last bag of garbage out of the building. He can finally rest his bag on his desk. His coat is together with the rest of the other coats carefully hanged on the coat rack which he never thinks is actually present in the room.

                Just as he enters the office, a grunting crowd trails behind him. They are back. Of course they all think that they entered the wrong room. Maybe aside from peace, neatness is also one of the words that are non-existent in their vocabulary.

                “Oh my, is it Detective Cha who did this?” the Corporal praises SunWoo. It is very visible that the old man is tired as he walks to SunWoo “You were left alone in this room, I never expected that you’d actually clean it”

                SunWoo scratches the back of his head as he shyly smiles “I just did something that is supposed to be done” he humbly reasons out and the Corporal leans to whisper something to him.

                “I expected that since you’re all alone, you would go all the way with that college boy”

                SunWoo took more than a few seconds to get what the Corporal meant and when he finally did, he is certain that if he’s drinking something he must have choked to death. He clearly remembers how the Corporal clearly misunderstands his situation with JungHwan earlier.

                “Corporal, I think you mis-”

                “As expected from you hyung!” Chansik cuts him off as he feels a slap on his back which made him arch his upper body forward, face flinching in pain.

                “Aw, what was that for?” he complains rubbing his back.

                “What did the Corporal whisper to you anyway?”

                “It’s a private thing” SunWoo defended.

                “Well, you see, when the Corporal overworks, his body has the same reaction as if he is drunk. He usually says weird things when he is stressed”

                SunWoo is affirmative towards every word that Chanik uttered. The Corporal did say some weird things. Weird enough to give him shivers.

                “Detective Cha” someone from behind calls and SunWoo kind of recognizes the owner. He turns to look and saw Mr. Tall-police-officer.

                “Sunbae-nim” he bows in respect and hears a deep chuckle.

                “Call me hyung, we’re workmates after all. I’m MinHo anyway, Choi MinHo” his voice, like SunWoo’s, is somewhere in the deep category.

                “Then, MinHo-hyung?”

                “Sounds better” MinHo nods “You can start your official shift tomorrow. I’ll ask Chansik to e-mail you your consistent work hours. You should as well expect calls during off-work hours. Crimes can happen anytime”

                “Ah, yes. Thank you, Sunbae-nim” and MinHo flashes him a look “Oh, I mean, MinHo-hyung” he corrects.

                He grabs his coat and bag then approaches his cousin who is half-asleep on one of the desks. “Chansik, I’m heading home, I can drop you by if you want to”

                Chansik looks up to SunWoo shaking his hand in negation to the offer then went back to sleep.

                “What?” SunWoo doesn not get a thing that Chansik did.

                Chansik slowly faces SunWoo acting as if his head is too heavy for him. His eyes are basically close as he motions a different hand gesture which is now facing back and forth.

                “Chansik, seriously?” SunWoo protests and Chansik managed to say something.

                “My shift ends tomorrow morning, go ahead” he murmurs and rests his head back on the desk.

                SunWoo feels pity for his cousin b

Please log in to read the full chapter