Chapter 6

Anarchic
Please log in to read the full chapter

              JungHwan is leaning against the pasty wall, one hand resting inside his pocket and the other still holding the doctor’s prescription. He lost count on how many times he have read that same paper (and still didn’t understand what the doctor scribbled) as he waits for SunWoo who ditches him in the middle of the hallway. The echo of footsteps notifies him of the now nearing SunWoo who, weird enough, is smiling and strutting with his leftover clothing. Are detectives are ordered to wear khaki trench coats or is it customarily worn to distinguish themselves from normal people? But if SunWoo is to wear a detective’s hat or some sort of fedora, JungHwan might never take his existence seriously.

              He manages to detach his back off the unexpectedly cold wall despite the scorching summer season and then facing the direction to where SunWoo is walking from. He rises an about to wave hand to his friend only to get ignored as SunWoo passes by not even giving him a glance. He gazes at his unnoticed hand before glaring a look of disbelief at SunWoo who ditches him for the second time

 

              SunWoo is determined not to fall under manipulation but that doctor sure had a great ending remark. The doctor knows him? He laughs inside at the thought. It’s more like he knows the doctor. Cho SungHa, how many times has he heard that name in college? Cho SungHa, the great psychiatrist, the model of all students and a mentor he never wanted to respect. This person holds lots of conferences nationwide and worldwide and he remembers attending once. Once.

              Years back, a blonde haired SunWoo was running up the endless flight of stairs after getting left by the elevator. After the age of sixteen, he was never seen again in his natural hair color which is black. There was no particular reason why, he just simply fancy dyeing his hair. That morning, exactly a month after he dyed his hair blonde, he woke up in a bad mood. Worsened and all by the visible black roots that started growing above his scalp. It was a not so lovely Sunday since instead of resting; he was scheduled into attending a conference by one of the famous doctors in his university whose name was, well, he can’t remember. What kind of famous person was not known by Cha SunWoo?

              Before heading to the university, he dropped by the salon to have his black roots dyed which unexpectedly took longer than expected and that is clearly the reason why he had to waste his precious breath running up the set of steps. When he arrived, his friends already occupied almost one whole row of seats except for the empty one beside Jackson. He plopped down and his harsh breathing was noticed by his seatmate. Jackson knew his agenda before the conference (even without SunWoo saying it) and he laughed at SunWoo for that.

              He was just in time with the ‘famous’ doctor’s speech but he was practically frowning the whole time. What kind of nonsense was the old man muttering in front? He looked sideways to see his friends actually paying attention except for Jackson who was pulling another poker face but he doubt Jackson senses what he was sensing. Basically during that time, if lie triggers a cardiac arrest he would’ve died of heart attack listening to this person’s discussion, he talks like a politician.

 

              Cho SungHa. This time the thought of the name made him snigger. He guesses making fun of others is an evilly fun thing to do.

 

              “If you could stop laughing out of nowhere that would be great”

              SunWoo leaps in surprise when he came too close with JungHwan’s face. “JungHwan, you scared me!” he protests as he crouches against the wall instantly grabbing his chest to catch his falling heart.

              JungHwan smiles back at him sarcastically “And you laughing alone is not scary”

              SunWoo stands up instantly, pulling his coat to straighten it “I was just thinking of something funny and evil”

              JungHwan looks amused “Oh, Like leaving me behind?” he quickly retorts.

              SunWoo isn’t able to process what JungHwan says, unaware that he actually ignored the boy a few steps back “What are you talking about?”

              JungHwan skeptically looks at SunWoo and crosses his arms “You said you left something and left me in the hallway. Then you exited the clinic, walked past through me with that sardonic laugh and ignored your waving friend. Oh and that friend is me” he nags with his index finger pointing at him then sharply pointing to SunWoo, sharp enough to pierce a metallic soul “You ditched me” he states firmly “TWICE” and displays two fingers an inch away from SunWoo’s face making SunWoo retreat his head.

              “You sound like an angry girlfriend” SunWoo says chuckling.

              JungHwan flashes a glare “Me? Your girlfriend? Bless your delusional heart” he says satirically.

              “Did you just prioritize getting mad at being called MY girlfriend than being called A GIRLfriend? Or by any chance, are you?” SunWoo doesn’t finish the question but he’s sure that he delivers the right thought.

              “No. Boys aren’t my type” JungHwan asserts firmly.

              SunWoo clicks his tongue “Poor DongWoo” he mutters under his breath.

              JungHwan who hears faintly asks “What was that?”

              “Someone’s hearty dreams just got crushed” SunWoo says reversing his direction and starts striding to the other way.

              JungHwan, baffled, simply blinks at SunWoo who is already steps away from him. SunWoo halts and turns back to JungHwan “You can’t blame me if you get ditched again this time” he warns.

              JungHwan strides to catch up to SunWoo “So, are we going back to Seoul now?”

              They paused walking as they reach the lift. SunWoo presses a button and the down arrow lit up “Not yet. We still have to go somewhere” he says.

              Ting!

              The steel doors slide open and SunWoo hops in but JungHwan’s mind was left loading with what SunWoo just said.

              “Seriously, how much do you love getting left behind?” SunWoo mocks from inside the elevator pressing a finger on the open button. JungHwan seemingly wakes up from his daydream and quickly hops in as well before the steel doors barricade his way.

 

              So this is that place that they have to go to.

              It’s not considerably bad—or so to say, it is actually great. JungHwan doesn’t know what kind of idea came to SunWoo’s mind for stopping the car so suddenly and shooing him out. Right now, he is sitting on the thick cemented barrier beside the least busy road of Incheon highway, which, in fact, is also according to SunWoo’s command. It is the summer solstice midday which naturally perfected the panorama of Incheon bay. The whole stretch of turquoise lies in front of him. He momentarily shuts his eyes to let the noon sea breeze consume him.

              It is rare that a car would pass by the road behind him hence nothing distracts him from listening to the earthly waves. He releases a sigh containing all the city stress confined in his insides before slowly exposing his orbs to the bright light. But a single sigh isn’t enough. Even if he exhales all the air in his body there is this certain stress that seem to have merged into his blood, a stress he doesn’t know existed until lately. His legs move to and fro as he looks down on the rocky shore then back up again. A certain satisfaction emerges from witnessing the color of the sky seemingly pours down the vast water.

              He palms the outside of his pockets before fishing his phone out with plans of capturing the perfect image. He took a few photography class sessions in the past. Aside from singing, this might be his second favorite thing to invest his time at. DongWoo would always compliment the photos he took but it can also be because of the sole fact that DongWoo has the worst photography skills. He smiles at the memory of DongWoo with his gawping eyes and ‘whoa’-mouth, admiring the university landscape that JungHwan took only with his phone but later on accuses JungHwan for using too many filters.

              JungHwan stretches his arms forward, tilt to the left, tilt to the right till he finds the right angle and perfect. He is busy capturing multiple pictures, where half is most likely to be deleted, when a hand ghosts from behind him clicking the rotate button and activating the phone’s front camera.

              Just as his screen shows, there’s a grinning SunWoo behind him. SunWoo’s thumb is having a hard time reaching the capture button therefore holding JungHwan’s hand with

Please log in to read the full chapter