Chapter 4

Anarchic
Please log in to read the full chapter

              A green laser scans through JungHwan’s grinning image and a waist-high gate opens up upon recognition. DongWoo is waiting for him on the other side, hands on his pocket and smiling.

              “Aren’t we going to change our ID, this was like from three years ago. Do I still look like this?” rants JungHwan shoving the card he’s holding onto DongWoo’s face urging the other guy to back away his face.

               “You look rather mature there” DongWoo points to the card on JungHwan’s hand then goes to poking his cheeks “Did your cheeks get fluffier?” JungHwan instinctively palms his cheeks and feels and there is indeed a fuzzy feeling from touching it. He displays a dread demeanor from the fact, which isn’t proven yet until he steps on a weighing scale, that he gains weight. He slips the card back in his bag and walks side by side with DongWoo along the white polished granite.

              The minimalistic yet sophisticated foyer is the entrance to Seoul University of Arts’ modern building which is exclusive for participating students in the showcase this coming September. The next batch to debut on the Korean entertainment industry are strictly chosen from the seniors but for exposure purposes, the juniors are allowed to accompany in the said event, which explains JungHwan’s case.

              An upbeat dubstep rhythm resonates from the far end of the room where a miniature stage stands. JungHwan and DongWoo watches from a distance a group of aspiring dancers as they dance their soul out.

              “It’s in a few weeks” JungHwan states, eyes not leaving the dancers “The showcase”

              “That’s why, we should get going too” DongWoo drags JungHwan by his bag rattling the balance of the younger boy as JungHwan trip and struggle to put his walking back to normal pace. The lift, upon reaching the ground floor, hurls a mob of singing seniors who appears to be practicing even along the way.

              What welcomes them as they set foot on the fifth floor is a succession of vague glass doors and single-windowed rooms filling up the corridor. DongWoo pushes the door on the right open gaining looks from the occupants.

              “Is Sandeul with you?” Ji Eun, who is fondling with her guitar strings, queries looking hopeful and all. JungHwan sneaks behind DongWoo and flinches upon hearing a nearing shriek. In a split second he finds himself getting cuddled by one of the sopranos, SueJi.

              “Duelllieeeee~~” SueJi calls in a shrilling high pitch.

              “Noona, did you miss me this much?” JungHwan grumbles giving DongWoo a ‘save me’ look but is nevertheless ignored as DongWoo walk over to the rest of the boys who are shuffling papers on the table. Panda eyes turn to the coming figure.

              “How’s it going? Did EunJung agreed to the song?” SooHyun laughs at DongWoo’s question. He grabs DongWoo by the back of his neck and directions his head to see the bags under TaecYeon’s eyes still laughing.

              “She did. Just a while ago” TaecYeon utters breathlessly. He looks like he’s going to collapse any second now. “Don’t laugh at me just because your hoobae is so eager with any of your decision” he added bitterly before harshly planting his head on his arms them dozing off.

              “Did he collapse, or fell asleep?” asks SooHyun leaning his head in front of the sleeping TaecYeon to check.

              “You might as well want to ensure his pulse” teases DongWoo as he sits on the metal bench. SooHyun scoots beside him.

              “Believe me” SooHyun begins as he incline a bit to DongWoo’s ear “TaecYeon took into consideration asking Sandeul to be his duet partner” he rumors to DongWoo.

              “He won’t sing with anyone else” DongWoo assures and SooHyun sits straight up nodding his head.

              “That kid is pretty attracted to you, isn’t he?” SooHyun crosses his arms “You’ve always been together since he came to this university, by any chance, are you dating?” he looks at DongWoo and flashes the widest grin known to man.

              DongWoo laughs sarcastically “Do we look like one?” he scoffs “We are family acquaintances and more of childhood friends” he explains.

              “And he looks really happy to share the stage with you” SooHyun points out.

              DongWoo looks to where JungHwan is. Laughing alongside SueJi and JiEun as EunJong plays the piano. It brings nostalgia to DongWoo “If there is someone who’s happiest, that would be me” he assures.

 

2002

              A man in early thirties sits on a timber bench, eyes close as he instinctively try to catch sharp and flat notes. The 10 year old DongWoo clutches a printed musical piece as he sings alongside the piano. Brows furrow and fists clench as he struggle to release his tenor. He emits a sharp note and the piano stops playing.

              “You are one note higher” DongWoo is slightly panting as he stares down on the paper on his hand.

              “I can’t do it” the young boy bows in defeat and feels a hand land on his shoulder.

              “Calm down. You know your voice most. Don’t rupture it. Let’s try again” the piano starts playing again.

              DongWoo is about to hit the first note when the door emanates a creaking sound. They turn to the doorway.

 

              Little JungHwan won’t stop fidgeting on the couch. He’s been uneasy for a while now since they arrived at this unfamiliar house. They will be staying here for dinner. JinYoung who sits beside him notices his restlessness and activates his brotherly mode.

              “Deullie, are you hungry?” JinYoung bends over to meet JungHwan’s bowing down face. JungHwan shakes his head then turns to look around the house as if he’s searching for something. JinYoung does the same.

              “What is it?” the confused older brother asks.

              “Hyung, I’ll be back” JungHwan peers at his mother who is talking to the owner of the house about business and things he never really understand as a child “Tell Mom I’m just looking around the house”

              JinYoung is unmoved at first but then nods his head “Go ahead and don’t get lost”

              With that granted permission, JungHwan runs up the stairs. He wanders along the carpeted hallway following something. It’s getting louder. He knows he’s near and finds himself stopping in front of a wooden door. The sound stops for a while, he hears voices and it starts playing again---the piano. He unknowingly rotates the brittle knob and peaks inside only to see two questioning faces looking back at him.

 

              “Hi” DongWoo greets the peering head but receives no response “What’s your name?” he asks.

              “Sandeul” JungHwan timidly answers “That’s what they call me”

              DongWoo smiles at him “Are you one of our visitors?”

              JungHwan nods as he watches DongWoo walks to him “Then, Sandeul, I’m having vocal lessons, want to join?”

              The mixed emotions exposed by the boy’s eyes are enough for DongWoo to know that JungHwan wants to but is probably too shy to affirm; therefore, he grabs the little visitor by his arm and drags him towards the piano. He hands the musical piece and JungHwan obliviously accepts it.

              JungHwan scans the paper and passes it back to DongWoo “I don’t know how to read this” he admits.

              “Oh, is that so” DongWoo accepts back the paper “But do you sing?”

              JungHwan nods shyly again and his face lit up visibly “Let me hear it” DongWoo’s words come out more like a challenge.

 

              JungHwan takes a deep breath~

 

I believe Kudaen gyote opjiman 
idaero ibyorun anigetyo 
I believe na-e-ge orun girun 
cho-gum molri tora-ol ppunigetjyo 
Modu jinagan ku gi-ok-sukeso 
naega nalrul apuge hamyo nunmurun manduljyo 

Namankum ulji anh-kirul kudae-manun 
nunmul obshi nal pyonhage ttona-jugirul 
Onjen-ga tashi-dura ol 
kudae-ranun gyol algiye  nan mitko itkiye 
Kidaril-keyo nan kudae-yo-ya-man hajyo 

 

                DongWoo gawps at the unexpected scenario. How can a cute little human possibly sing like this? He can’t comprehend the feeling that it delivers. He has to admit, he feels defeated but it doesn’t give him a negative emotion at all. He can listen to this voice for eternity and not get tired of it at all. It’s overflowing with sentiment, passion and skill.

 

Na kudae alki chon i sesangdo  irohke nunbusyon-nunji 
Ku hanul araeso ijen  nunmulro ramgyocho-jiman 
i jaril nan chi-kil-keyo 

Kudaeran iyu-manuro naege-karun 
kidarimjocha chungbunhi haengbokha-getjyo 
Saranghan iyumanuro  tto haruga chinagago 
onun gil ichodo kidarilkeyo 
Nan kudaeyoyaman hajyo 
Nan kudaeyoyaman hajyo 

 

               Sharing the same stage with Sandeul is a privilege. DongWoo says to himself as he watch JungHwan walk up to him.

               “JinYoung-hyung prepared something for us” says JungHwan settling his bag on the table careful enough not to wake up the half-dead TaecYeon. He pulls out a thermos and few cups. “Bellflower tea”

               He then goes to pouring tea on the cups. SooHyun takes hold of the first filled cup sniffing the content then eyeing the liquid inside. Confirming that it isn’t anything deadly, he takes a large gulp. His eyeballs almost fall off the sockets as he slams the glass back to the table and hurriedly sprints to the nearest comfort room.

              “Is SooHyun-sunbae oka

Please log in to read the full chapter