Chapter 5

Anarchic
Please log in to read the full chapter

              “Argh, my back really hurts” SunWoo complains for the nth time, voice muffled by the hard pillow of the sofa.

              JungHwan simply rolls his eyes “Are you blaming me? I’m pretty sure that you slept on the couch on your own accord” he defends.

 

              It is late Saturday morning and SunWoo is still slumping on the couch, only this time he is lying on his stomach with ice packs placed above his lower back. JungHwan is sitting on the carpet changing the ice packs once in a while. SunWoo turns his head to JungHwan flashing a glare “I gave you a good night sleep, at least take the blame for my backache”

              “You didn’t gave me a good night sleep, your bed did” JungHwan corrects.

              “Dude, same thing” SunWoo retorts exasperatedly before feeling a small stream of coldwater dripping onto his back “Yah, the ice pack is melting, you’re supposed to change it continually. Do your job properly”

              The pouting JungHwan grabs the dripping ice pack and dumps it back to the basin “You nag like an old man”

              “Well at least I don’t snore like a duck” SunWoo teases.

              The aggravated JungHwan get hold of a new ice pack and evilly slips it inside SunWoo’s shirt urging the other to panic. SunWoo hastily tries to reach the cold material freezing his lower back as he toss and turn on the couch.  When he did, he throws the pack back to the laughing JungHwan and stands up.

              “Ahh, forget it” says SunWoo as he stomps towards the kitchen.

              JungHwan looks up to his walking figure and asks out of guilt “Doesn’t your back still ache?”

              “Don’t you feel hungry? ‘Cause I do” replies SunWoo glancing down at JungHwan who still remains seated on the floor. JungHwan carries the basin and he stands up to follow SunWoo.

              “Need some help?” JungHwan asks.

              SunWoo replies uncertainly “I guess”

 

              JungHwan holds the knife aimlessly as he debate in his mind what to do next after cutting the tomato in half. He looks at SunWoo and sees an image of a really trained chef as SunWoo swiftly shifts from boiling the noodle to sautéing the clam. He can simply follow his instincts but he has to admit, his decisions always lead to something not so good. In the end, he calls for SunWoo’s attention by scooting towards the stove.

              “Should I peel the tomato?” he asks obliviously “Do I have to remove the seed also?”

              SunWoo’s look of pity is as priceless as JungHwan’s innocence. He shut his lips to suppress laughter before grabbing the things on JungHwan’s hands and pointing onto the chair at the far end of the counter.

              “Sit there” he orders.

              JungHwan’s tomato stained hands hang in the air as he asks “Didn’t you say you need help?”

              “Yes and you sitting on that chair would be a great help now go go” shoos SunWoo.

              JungHwan proceeds to washing his hand and then does just as SunWoo orders but he will occasionally tiptoe to see what’s SunWoo’s doing.

              “Back to the chair” SunWoo commands once in a while eyes not leaving the dish he’s preparing.

              But JungHwan’s curiosity got the best of him as he finally drag the chair near SunWoo receiving a glower but he smiles back instead “I won’t touch anything. I won’t disturb you. I just want to watch” JungHwan reasons out.

              SunWoo sighs “Fine. Fine.” He says as he turns off the stove of the boiler “Sometimes, I wonder how you survive without your brother to cook for you” SunWoo says after a while then gestures JungHwan to come forward. “Hold the strainer”

              JungHwan holds the rubber-coated stainless handle above the sink then flinches when SunWoo’s about to pour the soaked noodles.

              “I won’t pour it on you. Stay still” SunWoo reassures “And if you don’t hurry up, we’ll both end up eating soggy pasta”

              JungHwan shakes the strainer to dry out the pasta before handing it to SunWoo and he returns back to his seat. SunWoo grabs a fork from the far end of the counter then jabs a clam and eats it. He nods when he confirms that it is already cooked enough. JungHwan enviously watches from his eat as SunWoo savors the clam.

              “Me too~ I want to taste it too” JungHwan protests.

              “You’ll be eating this in a while, just wait” SunWoo counters.

              “Just one. Please” JungHwan insists urging SunWoo to jab another one. SunWoo is about to hand the fork to JungHwan but he sees JungHwan’s mouth wide open so he simply feeds childish boy. It pretty much feels like feeding a baby, a really big baby.

 

              The most awaited plate clanks on the table as SunWoo serves the pasta dish. JungHwan did the honor of piling the first spoonful on his plate.

              “I really do wonder about what you eat when Jinyoung-hyung is not around?” SunWoo asks from the other end of the table.

              JungHwan munches before generating a reply “My University offers really great lunch dishes. For breakfast and dinner, I usually eat out with Mom”

              “And when you don’t eat out?”

              “Delivery?”

              SunWoo shakes his head and clicks his tongue “Very unhealthy” He twirls the pasta around his fork “Why aren’t you living with your Mom anyway?”

              “She’s really busy with work besides, our house is far from my University”

              “Her work?” SunWoo asks gobbling his twirled pasta.

              “She’s the vice president of Woori. She’s really busy”

              SunWoo gives off an are-you-kidding-me look with his pasta filled cheeks. Woori Financial Group holds Korea’s largest bank which means the boy who is eating with him right now is one hell of an ultimate wealthy kid. Well, SunWoo’s father being the National Police Force’s Superintendent gives his family a really high reputation too.

              “By any chance, are there guards outside my door right now? Do you have a tracker with you?” SunWoo asks turning his head side to side, looking for anything suspicious.

              JungHwan chuckles “I’ve always kept a low profile since I migrated here at Seoul. Besides, my brother is the next candidate for position”

              “Don’t you want to be in position to?” SunWoo asks but it is too late when he realizes that his question sounds too controversial.

              “I don’t want to answer that question” JungHwan replies in a voice deeper than usual.

              “Oh sorry. I shouldn’t have asked that, I guess”

 

              Only the occasional scraping of the fork against the porcelain plate fills the sudden silence. This makes JungHwan aware of the still lingering pain in his head. He didn’t actually have a good night sleep as SunWoo accuses. He wakes up frequently after midnight and never had a continuous sleep after that.

              “By any chance, do you have any pain killer?”

              SunWoo who is still devouring his own made pasta gazes at JungHwan and shakes his head “Nope, don’t have” “Are you seeing a doctor right now?” he asks more on worriedly than curiously.

              “No”

              “No?” SunWoo’s tone elevates “That headache of yours seems serious and what happened to you last night anyway?”

              JungHwan shows a pained expression as if remembering the unpleasant incident brings him physical twinge as well “It’s one of those episodes where scenes would just start playing in my head. My head would start to hurt as well but last night was the worst. I never really passed out before” he says incredulously.

              “Is that the ‘dream’ you’re talking about before?”

              JungHwan nods.

              “That’s more like a vision” SunWoo suggests.

              JungHwan can’t help but agree “I think so too”

              “If you used the right term from the start, it would’ve lessened the misunderstanding” SunWoo indicts “What do you see in those visions?”

              JungHwan rests his forearms on the edge of the table his hands in the air. “My childhood, my mom, my dad but mostly are scenes from the yacht” his hand that clutches the fork sways with his enumeration.

              “Aren’t you just recalling past events?” SunWoo infers.

              “I don’t know. My memories from before and of the incident are kind of disrupted. I was told that it’s better that way”

              SunWoo frowns “Who told you?”

              “My psychiatrist”

              “Oh, you had one?” SunWoo sounds sarcastically amazed.

              “Yes. I had sessions till I was around seven?” JungHwan says unsurely.

              “By sessions, you mean treatments for the trauma cause by that incident” SunWoo clarifies.

              JungHwan nods  “Yes, you’re right. May I just say, you sound

Please log in to read the full chapter