Chapter 1

Anarchic
Please log in to read the full chapter

           SunWoo can’t help but smile. He grips the steering wheel and makes a sharp turn towards the tarnish gray open steel gates.  He passes by the police cars that are aligned side by side positioning his navy Audi at the far end of the parking lot.

          He stays on his seat for a while contemplating on how he, Cha SunWoo, is actually meters away from his dream. Seoul air touches the locks of his pink hair as he exits the car. He grabs his bag from the passenger’s seat and loosely hangs it on his shoulder. The car lock beeps and he casually strides along the dusty cement squinting his eyes as he takes his final glimpse on the summer sun before pulling the hems of his coat to straighten it. He takes a deep breath.  The glass door squeaks as he pushes his way into his dream, Seoul Police Station.

          He enters another wooden door, which he believes is the way to the main office of the station. Apparently, the scene that welcomes his makes him want to pull the door close if not for a tall skinny guy who encloses him in an embrace.

             “Baro-hyung~!”

             The guy grabs his shoulders and slightly pushes him examining his face if he really has the right person then locks him in a tighter embrace and SunWoo swears to God that he can feel his ribs cracking.

               “Ch—Chansik---I—can’t--” and with SunWoo’s muffled voice, Chansik releases him.

               “Isn’t your dream finally coming true?” Chansik’s grin almost reaches his ear.

                That is certainly sarcasm.  SunWoo isn’t sure if he’s in a police station or a publishing house catching its deadline that is within an hour. People from every other end of the room communicate altogether and the language he hears isn’t quite close to Korean. Papers fly into the air and folders slam onto the desks. He grips a sense of reality when a stomping officer pushes him out of the way muttering something about ing drug dealers. Well he is indeed standing in the middle of the door frame.

                  “Gong Chansik! Come here, how the hell do I open this computer?!” SunWoo and Chansik search for the voice and finds an old man smashing the button of the computer’s monitor.

                  “Corporal Gwon, you’re destroying our computer!” Chansik cries as heroically saves the monitor from the old man’s wrath. Being called Corporal, he must be a senior police officer.

                  “Is this thing broken again?” Corporal Gwon exclaimed

                  In the most respectful manner suitable for the situation, Chansik replies “It was never broken, Corporal Gwon, how many times should I tell you to check first if it is plugged in to the outlet?” the way Chansik’s knuckles turn white as he grip the cord, Chansik finds a really good alternative way of venting out his frustrations. “Anyway, Corporal, the cousin of mine that I’m talking about, he has arrived” Chansik looks at SunWoo and so does the corporal.

                “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Cha SunWoo. Under the new placement scheme, I am destined here in Seoul police Station” as all attention diverts to him, it seems like his baritone put the chaos into a short pause.

                A hand pulls SunWoo up from his ninety degree bow and he sees the Corporal eyeing him or his hair more likely.

                “What’s with your hair color? It looks like cotton candy” the straightforward remark from the old man leaves SunWoo with a semi smiling face, he doesn’t think a ‘thank you’ is a fitting answer so he choose to stay in silence.

                The place is back in hysteria as SunWoo is lead to his desk. He is too busy galloping above the bags, coats and papers on the floor that he almost did not notice the sudden stop of the Corporal and he doesn’t know why because he can’t see any desk in sight.

                “This is your desk” the Corporal points to somewhere only God knows.

                “Excuse me?” SunWoo queries in plain confusion.

                The Corporal starts sorting out folders and places them on the nearby cabinet. Under those folders are things that cause SunWoo’s eyes to widen in disbelief, empty beer cans and ramen cups. Circular brown liquid and beer spills are clearly visible on the white or supposedly white desk.

                SunWoo’s obsessive compulsive senses are tingling. There is no way he’s gonna put his bag down in that filthy desk. He wants to rant to Chansik how he didn’t warn him about what to expect. The sudden open of the door emits a creaking wood sound; SunWoo didn’t mind but instead looks at the computer and saw Chansik tapping on the keyboards.

                Again, something from the door tries catching his attention. He hears a pleading high pitched voice and three other male voices and the non-blending voices only intensify the rumble inside the room.

                “The case is closed. Just go away! Why are you here again, anyway?” a tall police officer bosses with a hand gesture of ‘shoo away’ as two other officers crowd around the unwanted visitor.

                “Aish, you officers there, stop swarming, get to work!” the Corporal orders.

                “But corporal” the single-lidded officer exclaims. It may seem weird but there is no other way for Sun

Please log in to read the full chapter