Greed vs Temperance

The (embarrassing) adventures of Kindness and Envy

Greed vs Temperance

Greed as Suho

Temperance as Yixing

-

A/N: Sorry for the long wait in between each chapter! >< Hopefully the slightly long length makes up for it?

-

A new year huh… Suho thought as he slammed open the door to his new dorm with bubbling excitement.

It was time. Yunho sunbaenim was going to graduate, and Suho was going to become the next president of the student council. But before that, he had to…

Suho blushed as he waved away his distracting thoughts. No, his main priority was becoming the president. He had to work hard and gain the support from his fellow peers first, though he had done his research and he was sure no one else in this school was going to compete against him and actually win. He was Kim Joonmyun, after all!

He lugged his luggage (hey, that rhymed! Sort of…) over to the left bed and started unpacking. Usually, he had his maids do this for him at home, but he learned a lot from them during the break. Who knew maids worked so hard? He even had learned how to wash dishes just so he could help out the aunties at the dining hall and show everyone just how much he deserved to be president.

The door creaked open slowly and Suho spun around with his signature ‘100% glowing-Joonmyun smile’, guaranteed to make any girl weak at the knees, and any guy smile back. “Hey, I’m Suho, and I’ll be your new roommate for the year!”

“Oh…” The stranger blinked sleepily, as he back stepped and stared at the label on the door again. “You’re Kim Joonmyun? I was expecting someone less… glittery this early in the morning.”

Suho laughed and walked over to shake his hand. “And you are…?” Another supporter! Someone else I have to impress!

“Zhang Yixing. Are you always this bright and cheerful so early in the morning? You’re gripping my hand too tight, could it be…?” Yixing trailed off as his sleepiness instantly disappeared and he stared at Suho hard, almost as if observing him.

“It’s 2.30 in the afternoon,” Suho laughed nervously as he avoided Yixing’s gaze, “definitely not morning anymore. Ah, what were you saying just now?”

“Wait a minute.” Yixing’s grip on Suho’s hand tightened.

“Your name is Kim Joonmyun?”

“Yeah, what’s the matter-?”

“You bastard!” Yixing suddenly shouted as Suho yelped in pain, feeling all his bones getting crushed by an indescribable force. “What? What did I do?! Shi- Hey, it hurts! Let go!”

“What, you can’t remember me now? Was I just some charity case to you?”

“Huh, what? What are you talking about? Let me go!” Suho groaned through gritted teeth as he finally yanked his hand free, and stumbled backwards when Yixing shoved him.

“Fine, remember this then?” Yixing shouted as he brought something close to Suho’s eyes, and Suho squinted to make out the words on the paper.

A 1 million dollar cheque, signed by Kim Joonmyun.

“Yeah, and?”

“What do you mean, and?” Yixing huffed as he grabbed Suho’s hands and laid the cheque out flat.

“I give those out all the time when I have to shop, I think. And for business deals, you can find them everywhere! They’re not anything special!” Wait, Joonmyun was aghast. “Are you… are you a hooligan? You’re asking me for money? Fine, take it! Take my money! How much do you want?”

What?” Yixing sputtered. “First, you think I’m a beggar. Then you take my favorite left bed!” A pointed glance at Suho’s belongings on the bed. “And now you’re calling me a hooligan? You’re crazy!”

Beggar… Beggar?

“It sure is cold today, isn’t it?” Suho sighed as he rubbed his glove covered hands together. A nice, snowy winter day. It would be nice to see these snowflakes with Yunho sunbaenim, Suho grinned at the thought. Looking out the window, while there’s fire burning in the fireplace, and soft music playing while he and Yunho sunbaenim cuddled, heads tilting as they shared a cup of warm cocoa. And then… a kiss-

Would you like to go home then, Young Master?” One of his maids suggested as she glanced nervously at the umbrella she was holding, making sure it was covering Suho’s head completely. One stray snowflake, and she was sure The Lady was going to have her head off!

“…I suppose.” Suho sighed as he rolled his eyes, and happened to glance at the bench across him.

He hurried over to the bench (with a panicking maid and a bodyguard on his tail) once he noticed the shivering body rolled into a tiny cocoon of sorts with a tiny piece of newspaper as a blanket, and a winter coat so thin and useless that Suho almost wanted to fly to whatever country the designer stayed at and give them a piece of his mind!

“Look at the poor thing!” The maid gushed as a particularly harsh breeze filled the air, and she let out a sneeze, shortly apologizing afterward.

“Mr. Kim, we should leave him be. He could be dangerous.” Suho’s bodyguard, Mr. An, said.

Dangerous? No, he looks alright... Hm, how can I help him?”

“Maybe you can buy a coat for him!” The maid exclaimed excitedly, though quickly silenced when Mr. An shot her a look.

“…Would a thousand dollars suffice?” Suho said as he took out his chequebook.

 Suho stared at the stranger, and felt a sudden, weird gush of affection as he looked closely at his peaceful face. Although shivering, he seemed… Happy? Would Suho be happy to sleep out on a cold bench on such a cold winter day?

Never. That was a ridiculous thought, though amusing. Suho smiled as he wrote 1 million dollars on the cheque and signed his name, slipping it into the stranger’s coat. What was unexpected, however, was for a hand to grab Suho’s wrist all of a sudden and for brown eyes to blink wide open and stare into Suho’s.

Suho blinked.

The maid screamed.

Mr. An rushed forward to smack the stranger’s hand off of Suho’s.

“You-” Suho frowned as he found he was left breathless, mind swirling with odd emotions. Those eyes were… pretty…

“Boy, how dare you touch Mr. Kim! We could have you arrested and jailed, you know!”

The boy, who apparently wasn’t much of a boy and looked around Suho’s age, groaned as he rubbed the sleepiness out of his eyes. “He was the one who tried to take advantage of me first…”

Suho blushed, “What? I was just trying to give you some money! You looked like you needed it!”

Now it was Yixing’s turn to frown. He slipped the cheque out and his eyes widened as he took in the words on the cheque. “What? One million… One million…”

Suho let out a proud ‘hmph!’ as he stared at the boy, waiting for the thank-you that never came.

The boy’s expression turned dark as he glared at Suho. “You thought… I needed this money? You think I’m a beggar, a homeless person?”

“Yes.”

“You just give out cheques like these to everyone you find pitiful on the streets?”

“What?”

“You…” The stranger’s hand trembled as he stood up slowly and looked straight into Suho’s eyes with anger burning so furiously that Suho couldn’t help but feel scared.

“Listen.  Up. Here!” The stranger shouted as he jabbed his finger into Suho’s chest.

“H-hey!”

“I. Am. NOT. Poor. I don’t need money. I’m not some charity case. You have money to spare? Donate these to actual charities and organizations that actually need it. NOT me. I don’t give a damn about money, and I don’t need any more money.”

The stranger shoved the cheque to Suho, “You rich, spoiled and corrupted s can OFF!”

Suho trembled with the force of the stranger’s words, and fell to the ground. “H-Huh?”

“Leave me alone!” The stranger shouted as he ran off, Mr. An torn between chasing him and helping Suho up, sighing before turning to Suho and helping him up with the maid.

“Oh no… Snowflakes on your head! And… everywhere else! No, no, The Lady wouldn’t be pleased…” The maid muttered as she brushed the snowflakes off, frowning at Suho’s wet coat.

“Next time I see that punk, he’s dead!” Mr. An promised as he glared at the direction the stranger ran off to.

“I’m fine.” Suho said as he bent down to pick up the cheque, and walked to the newspaper the stranger had used as a blanket. He carefully placed the cheque underneath it and prayed whoever came upon the cheque would need it… More than the stranger, at least.

“Let’s go back.” Suho smiled to the maid and Mr. An.

“You’re… You’re the guy from that time!” Suho gasped as he stared at those familiar brown eyes.

“Yeah, the beggar from back then. You really thought I needed this money so much that you left the cheque there under the newspaper?”

“Look, Yixing, I’m sorry for that time, let’s be friends, okay?” Suho apologized as he gripped Yixing’s shoulder.

“Friends? With a bastard like you? I told you back then, and I’ll tell you now. off.”

“Yixing, please-”

“Don’t say my name!” Yixing snapped as he brushed Suho’s hand off and headed to his bed, dumping his suitcase there with a loud huff before slamming the door as he left the dorm.

Suho frowned as he stared at the door. What just happened…? What on earth…? He shook his head and went back to arranging his things; Yixing would come back sooner or later. It was almost 3, after all. The prefects and the student council were coming around to check on all the students.

Three rapt knocks on the door, and Suho monotonously saying ‘Come in’ since he was so used to it. Then Suho realised he was at the dorms, not his room, and it was 3 and Yixing wasn’t back yet-

“Ah, Joonmyun!” Jaejoong grinned as he entered the dorm. “Good to see you’re back! Going to enter the election this year with the same burning passion?” The same burning anger in Yixing’s eyes…

Suho nodded, and jokingly said, “Without Yunho sunbaenim, I’ve got one less problem to worry about!”

“Now, now! Oh, hey, where’s your roommate? It’s Yixing, isn’t it?”

“Ah… Yeah… You know him?”

“Of course I do! He’s one of Yunho’s favorite dancing partners and juniors, but I’m not surprised he’s late. He’s got quite a reputation for sleeping at the random-est of places and at the random-est of times. That’s why he always shows up late to class. Once you’ve become president, he’ll be a huge problem for you, just like it was for Yunho.”

Suho laughed nervously. “You say that like I’ll definitely become the president…”

“Of course! You’re the shoo-in for the win, and Yunho and I will vote for you too. Hm, now let’s see… I’ll call Yunho over to locate Yixing and get him to settle down in the dorms. Anyway, have you met Yixing yet? Such a charming and nice fellow! So sweet to others too, though he’s sleepy way too often… Speaking of which, monitor his sleeping pattern, please. We can’t have him late for his entire life!”

Sweet? To Suho, Yixing looked anything but sweet and nice. Who exactly was it who decided to grip his wrist when they first met each other and start spouting such foul language? That’s right, Yixing. “Yeah, I’ll look after him well… Wait, you’re calling Yunho sunbaenim?”

Jaejoong laughed, “And you’re still calling him that? You make it sound like he’s that much older than you, he feels upset, you know. Asked me to check if he started growing any gray hairs yet.”

Just as Suho was about to reply, the door opened and Suho felt his knees grow weak at the smile on the person’s face.

“Jaejoong! And my favorite Mr. Future-President-Junior! How have you been?” Yunho grinned.

“A-Ah… I-I’m fine…” Suho mumbled as he glanced at Yunho’s hand placed casually on Jaejoong’s shoulder. Jealousy.

“Hey, Yixing’s not here for the inspection, what do we do?”

“Aish, that kid… His luggage is here, he can’t be too far away. He’s probably asleep somewhere, and I don’t want to disturb that kid. I’ll let it slip, just this once. For Suho’s sake!” Oh, Suho thought.  “You can’t afford to get a mark on your record!” Yunho said he filled in the form and gave it to Suho. “Well, usually we don’t do this ‘cause we’re scared once the roommates actually meet they’ll stab each other and run away from the police to hide in some remote countryside-” he laughed when he saw Suho’s pale, worry-filled face. “-But usually that doesn’t happen. Usually.

“Don’t worry too much, okay?” Yunho patted Suho’s head as time seemed to slow down and everything seemed to melt away in the background. Suho trembled as the radiance from Yunho seemed to have gotten ten thousand times stronger, and nodded.

“Prez, we’ve got a case with Prefect Minseok from Dorm 220 and the ‘S transfer’!” A prefect shouted as he burst through the door.

“Damn it, I knew we shouldn’t have arranged him to be in Minseok’s dorm…” Jaejoong grumbled as he trudged wearily to the door, beckoning Yunho. “Come on!”

“You go ahead first!” Yunho waved Jaejoong out, and closed the door gently.

Suho’s heart thumped furiously as he looked everywhere but at Yunho. What exactly was this situation? What were you supposed to do when you were alone with your crush?

“Suho, I know you’re worried since the elections are coming up. You’ve always been such a worrywart!” Yunho laughed. “You’ve had experience from last year, so I’m sure you’ll do fine this year. And if anything goes wrong, you always have me and Jaejoong to come to for help! And Yixing too, of course.”

Yunho leaned closer. “Wanna hear a secret?”

Suho blushed as he laughed nervously, discreetly trying to back away.

“Yixing actually was our back-up secretariat. He’s got a natural… talent for these things? I fell asleep practicing in the music room one day and he looked over my documents out of curiosity and well… I woke up an hour later to all my documents mysteriously finished and organized from deadline to deadline, from alphabet and importance. That, and our old secretariat was too busy flirting with girls to realize he had duties.” Yunho narrowed his eyes. “I’m glad that punk is finally graduating…”

“I didn’t peg him as someone who liked to fill up documents.” Suho mused, staring at the abandoned luggage on the bed. Burning eyes, filled with anger.

“I didn’t either. It’s good that he’s your roommate, if anything goes wrong, I’m sure you can count on him.” Yunho grinned, as he patted Suho’s shoulder. “Well, I’ll get going now. You know how tiring it gets dealing with stuck-up prefects.”

“Of course…” Suho mumbled as he stared at the closed door after Yunho had left, leaving nothing but a rapidly beating heart and Suho’s burning shoulder as his breath quickened.

“Of course…”

-

Suho made his way into the crowded cafeteria, trying to control his trembling body. He wasn’t sure how the new students would react to him. Would they vote for him? Would they think he was amusing and stupid for aiming to become the next student council president?

He let out a sigh, and mustered up his courage. Yunho had faith in him. His mother expected this of him. He could do this.

He introduced himself to the first table, the table for the sports clubs. They knew him well (though he didn’t impress them with his non-existent sports skills) and were willing to vote for him. Next was the music club, then the tinier clubs, and then he made his way deeper into the cafeteria, where all the little ‘cliques’ were seated far away from each other.

Suho smiled his signature ‘100% glowing-Joonmyun smile’, “Hi, I’m Kim Joonmyun, please-”

“Oh, you’re Suho aren’t you?” A guy grinned at him and patted the seat next to his. “Come on, sit down!”

Odd… This guy didn’t look familiar, was he a first year…?

“Hey, you’re the nephew of the principal! It’s nice meeting you, I’m Krystal Jung. Look forward to us becoming good friends!” The girl seated across him smiled.

Oh… Suho felt a burst of happiness as warmth spread in his chest. Was this how making new friends felt like?

“How do you know who I am though?”

“This and that, you know what I mean.” The guy seated next to Krystal glared at him as he slyly wrapped an arm around her waist.

“Oh my god, don’t be rude, Chanyoung oppa! It’s not often we get to meet people like… him.” Krystal smiled sweetly at him, and Suho clenched his fist nervously as he realised that something didn’t quite feel right.

“I’m Kim Jongdae, but you can call me Chen. That jealous there is Chan Young, and Krystal is ‘off-limits’ since she’s his girlfriend. Together we make the dumb trio!” The guy next to Suho gave him a big smile, though there was a strange look in his eyes.

Something… wild.

“Sorry, I got to go and introduce myself to the rest…” Suho smiled politely as he excused himself, wanting to get away as fast as possible.

“Oh, come on now! You just got here; the party hasn’t even started yet…” Krystal pouted as she shot him a puppy-eyed look. “Stay here and talk more with us?”

“Yeah, future president. We want every single piece of news you can offer us.” Chan Young nodded.

“What?”

“Let’s see…” Chen smiled as he scrolled through his phone. “Kim Joonmyun, age 19, 173 cm, likes Jung Yunho and the thought of becoming president, dislikes eggplants and the rain… Should I continue, Mr. President?”

Chen’s smile became sinister as he wrapped an arm around Suho’s shoulder and dragged him to sit down. “Now, we don’t want money, though that would be good enough for me… We just want you to help us out a little, okay? We need constant updates on our network, you see.”

“You… want free wifi?” Suho asked, brows knitted together.

“No, no, Suho sweetheart!” Chen laughed. “We simply want the info on our students! Who is that guy over there? What do his parents do for a living? What are his hobbies? Why does he do whatever he wants? Why does he smoke?”

“Basically, you’re threatening me to give you confidential information? I wouldn’t have it! Why do you need that kind of info-” Suho gasped as he stood up, arms crossed.

In return,” Chan Young cleared his throat as he glared at Suho, “we can work for you. Undercover. Solving any problems for you, be it through stalking, which is Chen’s specialty. Or spreading a rumor across the entire campus within seconds if you’re pissed off at someone, which is Krystal’s job. Or, you could ask me to help you out.”

Suho waited several seconds before realizing Chan Young wasn’t going to explain what his specialty was. And wait… Did he seriously consider their deal for a few minutes? Suho had to be righteous; he was going to be the next president. Imagine how upset Yunho would be if he learnt about this!

“Well? You know… I wouldn’t hesitate if I were you. We can help you eliminate your enemies within seconds, and no teacher or student would dare defy you with us on your side.” Krystal said, as she glanced at him. “Well?”

“I… I can’t. I don’t think that’s a good idea… It’s wrong, isn’t it?” Suho said nervously as Chen sighed. “Whatever. If Suho doesn’t want it, don’t force him. His loss and our gain.” At this, Chen chuckled. “If you ever do need any help though… You’ll know soon enough where to find us.”

“Of course…”

-

Kim Jongdae. Special Transfer (S transfer). Records – Nil. Grades – Standard. Clubs and societies – Nil. Reason for transfer – Not applicable.

“What…?” Suho frowned as he looked up from the document. His record book was clean. Too clean. Too standard. Something was wrong.

Prez, we’ve got a case with Prefect Minseok from Dorm 220 and the ‘S transfer’!’

That S transfer was Chen, wasn’t it? What exactly happened? Why was he specially named ‘S transfer’? What were Chen’s motives? Why did the trio want to know so much about the other students? Were they using him? What… was this?

Suho sighed as he rubbed his temples, setting down Kim Minseok’s student records and file. It was going to be a long evening of going through documents.

-

A/N: Was this confusing? Ahh I'm sorry! I stopped somewhere in the middle and started picking up where I left off but nope, no use... I couldn't express how my thoughts were. Hopefully you guys enjoyed reading this! If you remember, I was complaining about the XiuChen chapter earlier on in the story right? XiuChen is going to come in soon! Do you like Chen's character? So dark and mischievious hehe... So look forward to the XiuChen chapter! ;)

This chapter shows how SuLay met, and ohoho, look at how bad their first impressions of each other are! I hope no one is suprised by Suho's crush on Yunho, after all I did mention that in the description. Let's see how Yunho will help the two grow closer!

All the ships will start off differently than you imagine, but it will get fluffy towards the end and everyone will be the EXO you know them as. Not dark/sombre/murderer-ish, but funny, adorable, clumsy and whiny. The EXO we all know and love, though I hope you guys still like the rocky beginnings of each relationship.

Hope you enjoyed reading this! <3

-AdoruZiall