Wrath vs Sloth

The (embarrassing) adventures of Kindness and Envy

Wrath vs Sloth

(Kyungsoo vs Luhan)

-

Kyungsoo as Wrath 

Luhan as Sloth

-

This chapter is a little long, just a heads up! This chapter was written to this song.

-

“Mom, tell me that story again!”

Kyungsoo watched with a smile on his face as his mother patted Kyungmin’s head, combing fingers through the tangles.

“Hyung, come sit down too!” Kyungsoo nodded and settled down beside Kyungmin, hugging his brother as he waited for his mother to start telling that story.

“Once upon a time, far away, there once lived a girl named Minhee. Minhee lived in a big, beautiful castle, always staring out her window, waiting for Prince Charming to swoop in and sweep her off her feet! She was young, and wanted to experience love, just once was fine. One night, she ventured out of the castle, she was sick and tired of waiting and waiting, she wanted to take matters into her own hands! She snuck into the nearby village, and was fascinated. She decided she wanted to live there in the village, eat those fresh apples everyday and talk and laugh with the folks. She wanted to dance and perform, and she did! She met a group of travelling dancers and danced her nights away with them. One day, there was someone special in the crowd who caught her eye. A guy with a charming smile, eyes gentle and staring back at her. After the performance, this guy went up to Minhee and told her that his name was Yonghae. The two of them started chatting, and Yonghae came to see Minhee every night. She danced only for him, and even taught him how to dance! They fell in love, and married. Minhee gave birth to two adorable sons, and they all lived happily ever after.”

Kyungmin sleepily let out a cheer before asking, “But I still don’t understand, what about Minhee’s parents? Didn’t they say anything about Minhee running away from home?”

Their mom was silent for a while, smiling secretively at Kyungmin before saying, “Go to sleep, Min.”

After Kyungmin finally nodded off, Kyungsoo left the room as well, making sure he was all tucked in and comfortable.

“Mom, when will you tell him?”

His mother sighed. “Wouldn’t it break his heart if he learned the truth? That all along, I was ‘Minhee’?”

Kyungsoo knew it was hard on his mother as well.

The truth was Minhee didn’t live in a castle. She lived in an orphanage, waiting for parents to come and adopt her, not Prince Charming. She escaped from the orphanage, and lived a life on the streets, stealing apples when she felt hungry and getting scolded if she was caught. Finally when she met Prince Charming, their father, she couldn’t be with him. Their father’s parents objected to their relationship and forced them to break up. By then, Minhee was already pregnant with Kyungsoo. And Kyungmin… He was adopted. Their mother wanted to rescue someone from the orphanage, and so she adopted Kyungmin.

Being a single parent in this cruel world, struggling to pay for rent, school fees, food, electricity, water…. There wasn’t a thing Kyungsoo could do to prevent her troubles, he could only alleviate them by looking after Kyungmin and showering him with the attention a father should give his son. It was quite ironic, wasn’t it? Kyungsoo was only three years older than Kyungmin, and yet he had to act like a father and a brother to him, all because they really didn’t have a father.

-

“Hurry up, my mom prepared lunch for us!” A 7-year-old Kyungsoo shouted as he skipped up the stairs, tugging his friend along.

“Kyungsoo, did your mom bake any cookies for us?” His friend’s sister asked as the trio continued cutting across streets to reach Kyungsoo’s house faster.

Kyungsoo paused. “Cookies?”

“Yeah, cookies! Our mom bakes them for us all the time, their super soft and the chocolate melts in your mouth. Super delicious, we’ll give you some when you come over to our house tomorrow!”

“I-I don’t…” Kyungsoo mumbled as he pushed open the door, a bell ringing somewhere in the shop.

“Hello!” Kyungsoo’s smiled at the trio, “ I hope you kids are starving, I prepared a lot for lunch, you see. Kyungsoo’s favorite kimchi spaghetti, a whole plate full of bite sized chicken roasted in honey and peppered with sesame seeds, dishes of scrambled eggs with carrots!”

Kyungsoo stared anxiously at his friends, fingers digging into the straps of his bag. “I-I guess my mom doesn’t like to bake cookies…”

His friends were silent for a long time, exchanging looks before turning to Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo, I think… I think your mom’s pretty weird, don’t you think so too?”

“Yeah, most moms would bake cookies for us and give us a cup of milk when we go to our friend’s houses, but this… Is this where you live? A fried chicken shop?”

Kyungsoo felt a pang of disbelief pierce through his heart.

“You think my mom is weird?”

“And you don’t have a dad too, right? No wonder you’re so weird. Your favorite food is kimchi spaghetti? What about chocolate? Or some octopus ring snacks, don’t you eat those kind of sweets? That’s really weird.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

“I… I think we should get going now.” The brother said as he pulled his sister closer to him. “I don’t want to become weird too.”

“Wait! But what about the food?” Kyungsoo cried out, but the siblings ignored him and hurried out of the shop.

“Kyungsoo? Did they leave already? They haven’t even eaten-” Kyungsoo ran to hug his mother, hiding his face in her lap. “Soo, what’s wrong?”

Kyungsoo teared up, hiccupping as he fought back the tears. “I… Mom, am I weird?”

His mother was silent for a moment, and tilted his chin up so she could see his face. “Honey…” She sighed. “We’re not a normal family, that’s what I think… I’m sorry.”

Kyungsoo was weird.

-

“…Yes. Yes, I see. It’s fine. Alright, thanks.”

Kyungsoo looked up from the phone as the door opened; a bell ringing as his brother entered the shop.

“Hyung, I-”

“Min! Sit down, I prepared lunch for you! Your favorite fried chicken with garlic and kimchi fried rice!” Kyungsoo grinned as he pulled a chair out, Kyungmin dumping his bag on the chair before sighing.

“Hyung… You didn’t need to prepare such good food for me, I didn’t… I didn’t even…”

“Min, sit down and eat. Tell me your results later.” Kyungsoo knew his brother wanted to apologize for causing Kyungsoo to cook such a feast for him, but honestly, his brother deserved to be pampered and cared for. Kyungsoo rested his hand on Kyungmin’s as he stared at his tired brother.

Kyungmin finally started digging into the meal, a tiny smile on his face as the flavors burst in his mouth. “Your cooking is starting to get really good!”

Kyungsoo hummed, contented. He had poured all his love into the meal, and spent the night before praying that Kyungmin’s results would be exceptionally well. 

Kyungmin stopped eating all of a sudden, setting the spoon down. Kyungsoo knew it was coming.

“Hyung… I failed. I failed the exams; I have to repeat a year… I’m sorry, I should’ve worked harder, I’m so sorry!” Kyungmin burst into tears as he stared at the food on the table, the special meal to congratulate Kyungmin on his good results.

Kyungsoo was silent as he stood up, rapping his knuckles against Kyungmin’s head.

“You idiot! Don’t cry!”

“Ow, hyung…”

“Your teacher called me already before you came back, its fine. But, you have to work harder this time! You already know everything in the syllabus, so do well this time and try your best.” Kyungsoo grinned as he picked up the spoon from the bowl, and handed it to Kyungmin. “Right now, just eat. You need energy to work harder! I’m always here for you, Min.”

Kyungmin smiled, albeit still slightly teary-eyed. “Hyung, but now we’ll have to pay extra school fees for a year… Can we afford that?”

“Don’t worry about that, just work hard! Mom and I will work even harder, its okay!”

Except it wasn’t. Kyungsoo had stopped schooling for a year just so that they would have enough money to send Kyungmin to a good school, and he worked odd jobs every now and then. He was honestly tired, his back aching and his hands rough from scrubbing plates and pots, his arms hurt from stacking boxes after boxes of drinks.

I’ll just… have to work harder. For Kyungmin’s sake.

-

“1 order of honey-grilled chicken, and 1 cup of lemon tea, right?” Kyungsoo smiled as he jotted down the orders, receiving a nod from the customer.

The bell rang as the door opened, and Kyungsoo turned to greet the customer. That is, until he noticed who it was.

“Kyungsoo, help, I can’t support him any longer!” Krystal yelled; Kyungmin somehow slung across her back.

“Kyungmin!” Kyungsoo shouted as he rushed over to grab Kyungmin before he collapsed, his brother groaning into his ear.

“Oh my god, Kyungsoo, you wouldn’t believe what happened!” Krystal said as she sunk into a nearby chair. “This group of bastards that never liked Kyungmin from the beginning, they just-”

“Krystal, shush!” Kyungmin groaned as Kyungsoo grabbed his arm, turning it over to examine the purple and blue bruises.

Krystal let out an indignant huff, “Really? How dare you treat your benefactor like this! I risked my life to save you from those dogs, you know! You should thank me for being so cool.”

“Thanks, Krystal. And Kyungmin, you should shut up, not Krystal.” Kyungsoo huffed as he walked out of the kitchen, first aid kit in hand.

“So as I was saying, these bastards have never liked Kyungmin from the first day of school, tsk, I should’ve beaten some sense into them from the very beginning, those ing-”

Language.” Kyungsoo warned Krystal, turning to glare at her.

“Oh my god, stop treating him like a baby, he’s going to grow up some day and start cussing too. Anyway, they just approached us after school ended and we were about to head to the library to do homework, and they just started throwing these damn insults at him. I was about to protest, but Kyungmin, this -”

Kyungsoo glared at her again.

“-Kyungmin, this precious angel from the heavens above, stopped me. These bastards thought we were dating and they tried to hit on me, gross, I thought I was going to puke. Chan Young oppa is the only one in my heart, he’s so dreamy and cute and-”

This time, Kyungmin huffed. “Focus, Krystal!”

“So Kyungmin tried to defend me because they started getting into my personal space, and they just punched him. Kyungmin’s such a weak baby,” a shout of protest came from said boy, “and he just collapsed on the ground, and they started kicking him and beating him up, completely forgetting about me, can you believe the nerve? So I grabbed my expensive Prada bag full of Ms. Kim’s workbooks, and started hitting them and yelling for my oppa to come and save me. Miraculously, they managed to run away before Chan Young came.”

Kyungsoo was silent when she finished speaking, rubbing the cloth against Kyungmin’s skin harder and harder.

“Ow, hyung, stop!”

Kyungsoo’s hands were shaking.

“Kyungsoo, are you okay?” Krystal asked as she got up from her seat, pulling Kyungsoo to face her.

Rage. Kyungsoo’s eyes were filled with rage and hatred, his face red with fury.

“I’m going to kill those ers-”

“Oi, hold up there, Do Kyungsoo!” Krystal shouted as Kyungsoo started to head for the door.

“What?” Kyungsoo gritted his teeth.

“You idiot! Are you really older than me? If you go after them, you’ll just be the same as them! An eye for an eye and the world goes blind. You’ll be no better than them.”

Kyungsoo stared her, eyes wide.

“Oh! Wow, those self-help books really help, huh? I sound so smart now, I bet Chan Young oppa is proud of me,” Krystal let out a happy sigh. “He’s so dreamy, I’m so glad I met him…”

Kyungsoo’s tensed shoulders relaxed as he laughed. “I knew you weren’t that smart…”

“Hyung, you still haven’t finished wiping that ointment on me yet!” Kyungmin whined.

“Min-ah, next time this happens, go tell the teacher, okay? Don’t make me worry about you…” Kyungsoo sighed as he walked back to Kyungmin’s side.

“Okay, I promise, you don’t need to treat me like a baby all the time. I can look after myself, and Krystal acts like such an old woman sometimes, she can nag at me too.”

“Hey!” Krystal shot a look of disbelief at Kyungmin. “I’m your benefactor; you still haven’t thanked me yet!”

-

“Welcome! Please sit wherever you’d like.” Kyungsoo smiled as he clicked his pen, ready to take down the order.

“Hey, you’re Do Kyungmin’s brother right?” One of the guys asked.

Kyungsoo paused and stared at them, smile fading as he noted that the group of guys was wearing the Chunbyul High School’s uniform.

“You must be Kyungmin’s friends! It’s nice to meet you!” Kyungsoo’s smile was back on again.

“Yeah, where’s Kyungmin? Didn’t he come here yet?”

“He’s studying right now; he’ll come out when he’s finished. Anyway, what would you like to order?”

 One of the guys chuckled as he flipped through the menu on the table, crossing his legs.

“I’ll take one of everything on this menu.”

Kyungsoo stared at him, eyes widening. “What?”

“Didn’t you hear me? One of everything on this menu, pronto.”

“I-I see, that’ll cost $60.”

Another one of the guys let out a gasp and stared at Kyungsoo in shock. “What? This cheap place charges so expensively?”

“Don’t worry! Let me pay for everything, this is peanuts.” The same guy who ordered, dismissed Kyungsoo with a flick of his hand, and Kyungsoo walked away, dazed.

 “Mom, here’s the order.” Kyungsoo showed his notebook to his mom.

“Are you sure they can finish all that?”

“I-I guess so…” Kyungsoo mumbled, still dazed. Did kids nowadays have that much allowance to spend? What about Kyungmin then? He only got $10 a week, was that enough for him?

Kyungsoo snapped out of his thoughts when a round of laughter and screaming came from outside, and he hurried out of the kitchen only to find the same group of boys shoving each other and laughing.

“Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo turns to see Krystal across the room, waving him over.

“What is it? I thought you were studying for your exams?”

“Precisely. Do you think I can study with those s making fools out of themselves? And you know…”

Kyungsoo stared at her, puzzled. “Know what?”

“Those guys… They’re from my school.” Krystal sighed.

“Of course I know that, they’re wearing the uniform. I’m not blind!”

“No, no, listen to me, they’re from my school.

Oh.

Kyungsoo feels the familiar swell of rage again.

“Hey, Kyungsoo, not again! Stop it! Don’t beat them up, wait for them to finish eating and let them leave by themselves. If you fight with them, you’ll scare the customers away and you won’t have customers in the future. Then how are you going to pay for Kyungmin’s school fees?”

Kyungsoo stared at Krystal, brows furrowed. “Since when did you become so smart?”

“Since I was born. Now go cook, I need to study. If I fail this test, Chan Young oppa might break up with me!”  Krystal exclaimed.

Kyungsoo sighed and went back to the kitchen, chopping up the chicken while his mother settled the sauces and drinks.

“Hyung, I’m done studying, let me help out?”

Kyungsoo nods absentmindedly as he continues attacking the chicken, “You can take the sauces and chicken to Table 4, and the drinks are for Table 7. There’s a plate of spicy chicken for Table 14.”

Kyungsoo raises the knife again, envisioning the chicken to be the group of boys outside, whining and shouting. Then he hears a crash, and a thud, and a scream.

Kyungsoo looks up from the counter, the little window in front of him showing Kyungmin on the ground, sauce splattered on his clothes, drinks drenching his shirt and plates of chicken on the floor. The group of boys is laughing, taking out their phones to take photos and Kyungmin is crying- Kyungmin is crying, he’s crying-

Kyungsoo storms out of the kitchen, knife in his hand as he’s ready to scream bloody murder and set forth some bloodshed, but someone beats him to it.

“Hey. Is that my chicken?” A guy from Table 14 says as he strolls over, bending down to examine the chicken on the floor.

Kyungmin nods, “I’m sorry, I-”

The tanned guy turns to look at the group of boys, smile on his face. “Are you trying to act smart? What’s so funny about tripping a boy and pretending to pull him up, only to let him drop back onto the floor? What’s so funny about wasting food? Are you going to pay the money for all these dishes? Can you even afford it?”

The guy takes a step closer to the group of boys, eyes dark and his smile gone. “Chunbyul High School right? I was your principal’s favorite student. Tell me your names; I’ll go talk to your principal right now.”

“What the hell-” One of the boys’ protests, before another shushes him.

“Whatever. We don’t want to eat this anyway, gross.” Another one says before walking out of the store, the rest following him.

Kyungsoo makes eye contact with Krystal, who’s frowning and giving him a ‘what the ’ look.

“Are you okay?” The tanned guy’s voice is soft now, and he leans down to pull Kyungmin up. Kyungmin’s tears have long stopped, and there’s smile on his face. “Thanks, I’m fine now. I’m sorry about your chicken though, I can-”

“Hey, that doesn’t really matter. If those guys bully you again, you should talk to the principal. Better yet, just tell him his favorite student sent you there.” The guy laughed, his eyes crinkling.

And Kyungsoo feels a little pang in his heart.

“Well, see you around. Take care of yourself.” The guy gives Kyungmin a smile; patting his head twice before leaving the store.

 “Ah… Bye!” Kyungmin shouts, but the guy is long gone.

The store is silent for a long time, until Krystal breaks the silence.

“Oh my god, he was attractive…”

Kyungmin nods with a sigh, patting his own head, as if reminiscing. Then he snaps out of it when Krystal lets out a gasp, “Wait no, I didn’t- Wait!”

“You like him!”

“You like him?” Kyungsoo asks as he stares at a very flustered Kyungmin.

“No, no, what? No! Kyungsoo, what were you doing with that knife?” Kyungmin stares at the knife is his hand, realization dawning. “Were you going to stab them?! Kyungsoo, I can protect myself!”

Kyungsoo fumbles with the knife in his hands before putting it down on the table, sighing as he trudged through the sauce and chicken on the floor to Kyungmin.

“Go take a shower, you smell of spicy sauce!”

Krystal grins when Kyungmin dejectedly walks upstairs, dripping sauce everywhere. Then she turns to Kyungsoo and stares unnervingly at him.

“Uh, what are you…?”

You like him too.” Krystal states after staring at him for 5 minutes.

“How do girls do that?!” Kyungsoo lets out a little scream as Krystal giggles.

“He’s around your age, and he’s cute and kind. He’s also a little scary, so he definitely matches you. Go for it, I approve of him! Kyungmin’s a little too angelic for him.”

“How do you just say something like that as though you were talking about the weather?” Kyungsoo groans as he pulls out a chair, collapsing onto it as he stared at the mess on the floor.

“Well, you better clean this up before your mom finds out. I’ll be heading home now, bye! Oh, and don’t forget to talk to him if he comes here again. I’ll find out if you didn’t and then I’ll kick your .” Krystal smiled sweetly at Kyungsoo before waving and leaving the store, door clicking shut behind her.

Why? Kyungsoo thinks as he shakes his head, head flashing with the images of the tanned male.

I don’t like him.

-

 “That’s mine.” Kyungsoo states as he points at the strawberry milk in Luhan’s hands.

“What? I got here first, so this is mine.” Luhan smiles at Kyungsoo, hands clutching the carton a little tighter.

“It’s mine.” Kyungsoo snaps, snatching the milk out of Luhan’s hands.

“What- Hey, it’s mine! Get your own!” Luhan shouts as he snatches the milk back.

“What the , no, you go get your own, this is the last carton!”

“Don’t you start using profanities on me, I’m a monitor, all the more reason I should have it!”

“Oh, you’re a monitor?” Kyungsoo pauses and gasps, while Luhan grins proudly, thinking he’s won the milk. “Yeah, sorry, I don’t care. Monitors are supposed to kind aren’t they? Then give it to me.”

Luhan’s smile changes into something scary, and he lets out a battle cry before he scratches Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo lets out a pained yelp, and digs his fingernails into Luhan’s wrists. Soon, the pair are fighting and scratching each other, Kyungsoo yelling curses and Luhan screaming into Kyungsoo’s ear.

Tao and Baekhyun watch, amused as the pair fight over a carton of strawberry milk.

“You know… That guy wearing all black actually looks quite cute.” Baekhyun muses as he observes Kyungsoo.

“He’s got style, I’ll agree.”

Kai fights through the crowd, and stares in shock as the pair continue to scratch and yelp at each other like two cats.

“Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo, stop it!” Kai rushes over to pull Kyungsoo away.

“No, let me at him! I want that strawberry milk-”

“Here, you can have mine!” Kai shouts all of a sudden, blush on his face as he shoves his carton of chocolate milk into Kyungsoo’s hand, and runs away.

"But it's chocolate..." Kyungsoo stares dumbfounded at Kai’s retreating back, before turning around to face Luhan. Luhan smiles sweetly at Kyungsoo, one almost rivaling Krystal’s ‘sweet’ smile. And to be honest… Luhan looks like a cat that got the cream, pun intended. Luhan winked at Kyungsoo, before skipping back to his table.

Tao and Baekhyun take this chance to swoop in from either side of Kyungsoo, hooking their arms with his.

“What-”

“Hey, I like your jacket.” Tao smiled at him.

“I like your spunk. Let’s have breakfast together, and talk about how we should cut your hair.” Baekhyun grins and points to an empty table.

“Wait, what-”

Kyungsoo is confused the entire time, holding on tightly to the carton of chocolate milk.

-

AN: Yup. That's Kyungsoo's backstory. Hopefully this prepares you guys for that intense chapter I was talking about in the feed beside this story! Jongdae's backstory will come soon when I finally get around to writing Xiuchen, Yixing's backstory is pretty mild so I think I'll add some SuLay into the chapter. 

This chapter is set a little back further into the future, hence why Kai is so blushy-blushy around Kyungsoo (because he has a crush on him~)

I didn't intend to make Kyungsoo's backstory so dramatic, I actually wanted to show his fatherly/motherly protective side for people younger than him (aka Krystal and Kyungmin). Hopefully this shows why he acts the way he does in this college. A little note on KK's school, Chunbyul High is actually quite prestigious and the Do family struggles to pay the fees, but they sent Kyungmin there so that he can receive better education. Kyungsoo went to a normal public high school. The tanned guy mentioned in the chapter is Kai and yes, he went to Chunbyul High too because he comes from a slightly better off family, and he's not actually the principal's favorite student... he's the favorite student in the sense that he always get into trouble XD Krystal in this story is based off of Lee Bona from the inheritors (let's hope I didn't butcher that name up). I hope her bf's name is Chan Young, I never pay attention to the audio and I watch the Chinese subtitles when my tv plays reruns of the inheritors and the chinese subs always say his name is 'Canlie' (Chanyeol's chinese name) OTL I was so confused. 

A little side note here that I watch the inheritors only for Bona and Chan Young's relationship + Young Do (sp??), I honestly don't care about Eun Sang and Kim Tan XD

The strawberry milk scene was based off of Piupiupaw's comic strips part 1 and part 2 and omg honestly I stalk her tumblr because her art is amazing /.\ Seriously click on the links and look at those comic strips!!! And I didn't want to copy the entire story so I added Luhan into this chapter because I honestly believe that our oh-so-manly Luhan likes strawberry milk heh :'D I like strawberry milk too Luhan, don't worry!!

So Kyungmin screamed in this chapter! Btw, KKK (triple K) stands for Kyungmin/Kyungsoo/Krystal and I know there are too many K's in one paragraph and I originally wanted to put xxx's sister as Kyungmin's bff but then I realised she's going to xxx in one of the future chapters. (I XXX-ED EVERYTHING BECAUSE WOW SPOILERS but I hope you guys can guess what xxx means ;D). I don't really have a lot of inspiration left after churning out this 3000+ word chapter so yeah, next chapter is a prewritten chapter from a month back. (and it's terribly short I'm sorry)

Guess who spent 9 hours writing and editing this? I did. :'D I must salute all the authors who manage to write 10k word chapters, this was tough to write and I didn't have a sip of water for so many hours until I finally decided to get off my and shower.

Do you like Krystal? I sure as hell do, so she's going to pop up in the story again soon as xxx's friend. She's actually a few months younger than Kyungsoo, and she had to repeat the last year of highschool, which is why she's friends with Kyungmin. And yes in this story Chan Young is younger than her by a year. Kyungsoo didn't go to college (as mentioned in the chapter) and stopped schooling for a year because the Do family was really struggling with money, so he's a first year now with Kai. During the one year that he didn't go to school, he studied a lot because he wanted to get a scholarship in the future. The crazy college that exo is in (crystalmount institution or whatever XD) has cheap school fees, basically free food+drinks everyday and Kyungsoo can get a job on the campus, and since Kyungsoo lived in the village that was a mountain away from the school, he decided to go to Crystalmount.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, have a great day ahead! :D <3