of roses that ignite everything and ice-cream that swallows anything

one is less than three u

“I love roses.”

Byunghun stands behind a lamp post. A tall and black lamp post. In his hand, a bouquet of red roses wrapped beautifully with pink ribbons and translucent pink wrapper. He stands statically. Breathing seems hard on him right now. Like a troop of monkeys jump crazily on his heart. Or a group of elephants beat the out of him. No, scratch that. A cold sweat glistens on his broad forehead. He doesn’t know why he stands like a fool behind the lamp post. To be specific, the lamp post in front of Chanhee’s house. Moreover, he doesn’t know why he buys a bouquet of roses (plus, it is RED…) on his way here. Why? Of course, it’s not because of a certain boy that had said he loves roses yesterday after the picnic. Definitely not that reason. Byunghun nods.

It’s been two –nope, ten minutes since he stands like that and his legs have turn out to be numb. He scratches his eyebrow. What should he do with the roses he says. Cognitively, he could ring the bell and give the flowers. Or just leave it by the door. Technically, it is easier said than done. Byunghun cringes. Awkwardly, turning to his back and strides to his Audi.

“You’re not giving me the roses?”

What? Byunghun remains stoic. He lowers his gaze, watching the tip of his shiny black shoes before shifting an intense gaze to the man behind him.

“Well –“ Chanhee clears his throat. “I’m watching, no –accidentally stared in front of the house and I saw you stood there,” he points at the spot where the cowered lad stood before, “ –and wondering what you’re doing in such hours like this. Dad won’t like his future son-in-law catches cold, you know.” He teases, loving the red tints on both of the man’s cheeks.

Byunghun bites his lips from smiling. “What are –“ he chortles. “You caught me, so the flowers are your. Congratulation.” He lets the gummy smile plastered on his face.

The man tries hard to resist the temptation to squeal loudly. Receiving a bouquet of red roses under the moonlight is like a fairy tale. Except Byunghun isn’t Minsoo, Chanhee thought. He shakes his head. They have promise to start anew where they break all the relationships they have with anyone special for this marriage. Because for the sake of family honor that they want to keep. “Thanks.” Chanhee couldn’t let a wide smile from etched on his face. He giggles, sniffing the sweet roses. “They’re beautiful.” He breathes.

Byunghun chuckles in humor. “But not as beautiful as you.” He brings the back of Chanhee’s right hand for a small kiss. “You are way more beautiful, princess.”

Lee Chanhee never wavers for anyone, out from the family circle, except Bang Minsoo. But this Lee Byunghun in front of him is way too good because Chanhee’s heart may burst or explode within seconds from that small, faint kiss. Don’t forget his sweet words too. Chanhee yells loudly in his heart, oh how could this be more embarrassing than ever!

“B-byung,” for the record of world, this is the first time Chanhee stutters when saying the other’s name (which before he could snap at the boy clear and loud and firm) but with his crazy heart, Chanhee knows he is in the pot of hot melted chocolate.

Seeming like this Lee Byunghun manages to catch him stuttering makes the man before Chanhee smiles triumphantly. “Falling to me already, princess? It’s not even a step one yet.” His eye-smiling face makes Chanhee wants to throw the roses to Byunghun which he does anyway.

“Auch!” Byunghun yelps, protecting his face from the thorns of roses. “Yah, this face costs a million!”

Chanhee stomps and walks inside the house, not picking up the lifeless and dull bouquet of roses that lies on the cold ground after being thrown to the grumbling man just now. “That’s your goodbye kiss!” he yells angrily.

“Yah, Lee Chanhee!” Byunghun retorts quickly before Chanhee closing the door. “That’s just my goodbye kiss. Where’s my good night kiss, huh?” he steps into the car, chuckling with an evil smirk.

“Byunghun,” Chanhee calls faintly. Waiting for the man to turn around, he smiles cutely and clenches his fist tightly. “Here, catch this!” a loud yelp comes from the man as Byunghun crouching down, rubbing his sore forehead. Chanhee giggles. “That’s your good night kiss!” he bites his lips before running towards the man on the icy ground. “And this is for your silliness!” he bends down, pecking the man’s cheek and scurries back into the home and not forgetting to pick his thrown right shoe and roses.

Byunghun gawks, touching his left cheek and not forget, his red forehead. He touches the sore part and yelps. “What do I do without you?” Byunghun sighs audibly. He receives a lot of hits today from the feisty Chanhee; a bouquet of roses and a shoe were thrown on his face but those two aren’t in his dream that night. It’s just simply a small peck on the cheek from Lee Chanhee that makes him smiles until the next morning. Uh, you are hopeless.

 

---

Dangling his legs, Chanhee looks across the street, crowded with people in the bustling Seoul, he smiles faintly. He is sad. A really sad till it makes him hard to breath. His favorite double cheese hamburger with medium fries isn’t helping him. He isn’t in the ease of comfort right now. He trails along the side of the Pepsi cup, wetting his forefinger with the vapor formed outside the cold drink cup.

“Hey, Chunji.” Loud rustling from the movement of chair being pulled beside him penetrates through his eardrum.

Chanhee keeps silence because he thinks silence is the best for now. He his head to the right, staring at the man he loves, no –scratch it, was loved by him, talking animatedly and stealing his fries occasionally.

“Why are you crying?” Minsoo chides softly, wrapping his buff arms around the one he loves.

Oh the irony because people squeal watching them. However, to their dismay, Chanhee pushes Minsoo away as far as he could even he doesn’t want to.

“Stop, M-minsoo hyung.” Chanhee bites his lips, lowering his gaze to his lap where his palms become sweaty.

“What’s wrong, love?” Minsoo still doesn’t get it. He doesn’t know what Chanhee is about to say, isn’t he? “You could not be scared because of their staring right? You’re grown accustomed to within these past two months.” He pats his head lovingly.

“I say stop, Bang Minsoo.” Chanhee grits his teeth, clenching and unclenching both of his fists as he stands up abruptly. “This will be our last meet. We’re not going to see each other anymore. We have nothing else to hope for.” He states with shaky breath.

Minsoo baffles. He stares his feet for a good two minutes and half seconds. “This is it? Is this how we’re going to over our relationship?” His face is red. And scary, too.

Chanhee backs a few steps. Causing a ruckus in a fast food restaurant isn’t his intention. Sum it up, to see this side of Minsoo. Obviously, he scared. More scared than his father’s anger because behind the flaring eyes of the man he once loved, there’s a dark glint.

Minsoo tugs Chanhee’s left arm harshly. “We’re not going to over unless I’m marking you.” He grunts, pulling the scared boy out from the restaurant.

“Stop it! I’m not going with you! You and I, we’re over!” Chanhee yells. Brinks of tears start to form on his eyes.

“You’re going with me!” Minsoo growls, pushing Chanhee into his car and locks the door instantly.

“No, he’s not going with you.” The key from Minsoo’s grip has been snatched from someone and the door is now unlocks, letting Chanhee free.

Minsoo watches his lover’s movement; Chanhee quickly scurries behind a short man and sniffles. He feels horrible to make his Chanhee cries. “C-chanhee… I-I, I don’t mean to make you cry.” He opens his arms. “Here, let me embrace you and cuddle with you.” He says weakly.

Chanhee steps forward. “I’m sorry, Bang Minsoo. But we could not be together after this. We are not meant together.” He then leaves the baffled Minsoo in the middle of the street with his uninviting opened arms. I’m truly sorry.

 

“Are you okay?”

No, I’m not okay. I feel like I stab myself a million times and it hurt a lot. Being a heartbroken is the last thing that I want in my life.

Oh, how much he wants to say those sentences to the awaiting Byunghun. “Yeah.” He nods weakly. “I’m okay, I guess.”

Byunghun sighs. “You know, you could rely on me. After all, we’ll be living under the same roof.” He places the Haagen Daaz chocolate ice-cream tube on Chanhee’s lap. “Here,” he smiles, for the sake of comfort, at the dumbfounded swollen crying Chanhee, “ –it might helps you.”

They spend their first night with each other company, without massive headache bickers or anything that related with World Wars or whatnot, silently. By the end of the night, they notice they love this kind of silence. Under the same roof, one on the bed while another one on the couch (if they could sleep on the same bed, it would been better…), giving comfort smiles to each other and saying it best when there’s nothing to say at all.

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me

There’s a truth in your eyes saying you’ll never leave me

The touch of your hand says you’ll catch me whenever I fall

You say it best… when you say nothing at all

 


Based on the real life, it for being a heartbroken.