Chapter 01

The Letter of Us

 

I raced down the stairs as I swiftly gripped the handle of the black and white backpack on the ground and flung it over my shoulders. I fixed my hair quickly as I grabbed a piece of toast on the counter and checked my watch once again. “Crap!”,I squealed in annoyance as I quickly put on my flats and checked my uniform for the last time as I adjusted the curls in my hair. I shoved the toast in my mouth and my mom came down, “Aigoo, you’re late again?” I nodded and the words came out mumbled,”Mhmm. Bye, mom!” I ran out the door and raced towards the school.
- - - - - - - -
I met up with the other queenkas at our usual spot,”Hi!” Jenhee looked up and blinked,”Oh. You’re late.” I sheepishly grinned,”Yeah. Sorry.” “Expected.”,Lenah rolled her eyes. I made a face and sat down next to Jenhee. “Seriously. What the hell do you do in the morning?”,Yeeun raised an eyebrow. I blinked at her,”What do you mean? I get ready for school.” “Whatever. Not like I care.”,Lenah stood up,”Let’s go to the front of the school. Kingkas are gonna be here soon.” We followed Yeeun to the front of the school and stood by the gates. We stood there and people acknowledged us. “Omo, Hyomin unnie!”,one girl squealed. “Hi.”,I beamed and waved. The other 3 continued talking while I was in the middle of remembering the dates for the history test today. “Yah, are you even listening, Hyomin?”,Jenhee rolled her eyes. I snapped out of my daze,”Huh?” “Pfft like she ever does listen to our conversations.”,Lenah snapped. “I do!”,I protested and crossed my arms. “Oh yeah? What were we talking about?”,she crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “...I admit, I wasn’t paying attention right now, but I do at other times.”,I admitted. She opened to protest but Yeeun interupted her,”Hey, stop. The kingkas are coming.” We looked up and met eyes with the 5 kingkas of the school, Jinyoung, Shinwoo, Baro, Sandeul, and Gongchan. As usual, Sandeul and Baro were messing around and smiled at the people that talked to them. As the 5 passed by us, Yeeun, Lenah, and Jenhee smirked at them while they just rolled their eyes. I smiled and waved at them and they did the same. “Tch. I really don’t get you, Hyomin. You’re always acting pure and .”,Lenah rolled her eyes and hit my shoulder as she passed by. “Seriously, that girl.”,Jenhee rolled her eyes and followed after Lenah. Yeeun silently stared me down and went with others. I sighed and just walked to class,”It’s fine. I’m being myself. That’s all I ever wanted.”
- - - - - - - -
The lunch bell rang and I went in line to get my lunch. A girl behind me poked my shoulder warily as I was dazed. I turned my attention to her,”Yes?” “S-Sorry, unnie. But the l-line.”,she stuttered and pointed at the line moving ahead. “Oh! Sorry!”,I bowed and hurriedly grabby my tray as I went on my way to our table. I smiled and walked faster to the table until I bumped into someone and my tray fell on the ground. All the attention turned to me and my eyes widened. “Sorry!”,I bit my lip and bowed before looking up and meeting eyes with Sandeul. Baro, Jinyoung, Gongchan, and Shinwoo were around him. “Oh, Sandeul . Sorry, again.”,I bowed again. I expected him to get angry but instead, he did the opposite,”It’s cool. Accidents happen.”,he smiled at me,”I’ll help you.” He set his tray down on an empty table and picked up the tray that was on the ground,”If I was you, I wouldn’t eat it, though.” I giggled,”Right.” “See you around!”,Sandeul beamed and left with the other kingkas. I smiled and threw the tray away as I sat down with the others. Lenah slammed her fist on the table,”What the hell was that?!” I jumped in my seat,”What?” “You know exactly what you did. You purposely bumped into Sandeul, didn’t you?!”,Jenhee snarled. “No. Why would I ever do that?”,I made a face. “Oh, I don’t know..”,Lenah circled me and flicked my cheek,”Cause you like him?” “WHAT?!”,I shouted and everyone looked, including the kingkas. “S-Sorry!”,I squeaked and covered my mouth. “Shut up, will you?”Yeeun looked at all of us,”Lenah, shut up and eat. Jenhee, stop being a and backing up Lenah. Hyomin.”,she gave me a stern look,”Ignore them and just do whatever the hell you do.” “Gladly.”,I stood up and left the cafeteria.
- - - - - - - -
I grabbed a book off the shelf and read the back. After seeing that it was interesting, I sat down at a table and began reading it. Someone gently set another book beside me and I looked up. “Hey, uh, can I sit here?”,Gongchan hesitantly asked. I nodded and smiled,”Go ahead.” He sat down and began reading too until he got a text. He quickly replied and snapped his phone shut as he stood up. He grabbed his book and turned to leave when he abruptly stopped and turned around,”Hey.” I looked up at him again,”You’re Hyomin, right?” I nodded,”The one and only!” He chuckled,”Good to know.”,he left the library and the bell rang. I hopped back to class and the rest of the day continued.