three

Investigation Team: Hanbin and Hayi

 

 

 

 

The sweet aroma of coffee took over Hayi’s senses the second she stepped inside the café. The bitter, yet invitingly warm smell filled the atmosphere, making her smile in content. Her eyes automatically went to a guy wearing a black snapback and a plain white shirt with his jacket hung on the chair beside him.

 

Hanbin noticed the petite girl that was making her way to where he was sitting alone. He looked up at her and smiled very widely. “Hey.”

 

Hayi returned the smile with a little grin. “How long have you been waiting?” She asked while sitting across from him, putting her purse and jacket beside her.

 

“You came right after I sat down actually.” He chuckled while he stared at her putting her things away. He then noticed that she was wearing the oversized knit sweaters he got her for her birthday.

 

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Hayi tilted her head while waving a hand in front of his face. “Is there something on my face?”

 

Hanbin flashed a wide grin as he shook his head. “Nah, you look pretty.” He paused. “As usual.” He ended up cringing at his own reply, and Hayi laughed at that.

 

“As usual? I look just like I usually do?” She playfully frowned as she rested her chin on her palm with her elbows propped up. “I tried to dress prettier though.”

 

“No, no—I mean you look pretty, like you always do.” He suddenly stuttered, not wanting Hayi to misunderstand.

 

Hanbin got a stifled laugh as a reply and then he was the one frowning because Hayi had always found Hanbin freaking out funny.

 

“I knew what you meant.” She stopped laughing and was grinning. “So you do think I’m pretty, even on other days, hm?”

 

He shrugged without saying a word for a few moments. “Well, you are pretty so there’s no point denying that.” He finally said as he stared at the table, refusing to make eye contact with her.

 

Hayi reached out and motioned for him to come closer. He did as she said and leaned closer. She leaned in close and whispered into his ear. “I know I’m pretty.”

 

“Ey.” Hanbin put on his unamused face as he stared at her. She laughed at his reaction and after she eventually stopped, Hanbin changed the topic.

 

“Anyways, here you go.” He passed the cup of warm drink he ordered before. She took a sip after making sure it wasn’t too hot. “Mhm, vanilla latte.” She hummed satisfiedly. “You remembered.”

 

He flashed a very proud grin. “Of course. I always will.” She chuckled at his statement before leaning over to see what Hanbin was drinking. “Hot chocolate. You still don’t drink coffee, do you?”

 

“You know it’s too bitter for me. Even those with caramel and stuff.” He scrunched his nose to express the bitterness he could feel in his mouth.

 

Her lips formed a smile as she raised her eyebrow. “You’re a kid.” She shook her head in amusement. “Why did you want to meet actually?”

 

Hanbin just stared at Hayi before finally saying something. “Hayi-ah, what exactly is our relationship?” He suddenly asked while maintaining a neutral expression.

 

She was too dumbfounded to answer and she could only look at him. Hearing no reply, Hanbin continued. “I don’t know what to call you when people ask—are you my friend? Are you just someone I know?” His gaze landed softly on her eyes and his voice was gentle.

 

“I can never deny that even after all these years; I still have feelings for you.” She was taken aback by Hanbin’s sudden confession and it was obvious because her eyes grew larger, though they never left his eyes.

 

“Hanbin.” She finally called out before he could say anything else. “I had never tried to get rid of my feelings for you but we can’t do anything about it, you know it too.” Her voice sounded sad, and it pained Hanbin.

 

“Okay, how about this.” He finally voiced out while he reached out to take a hold of her hands. “You know how let’s say; a software, before it’s released they run a few tests first, right?” Hayi had no idea what he was trying to say but she nodded anyway.

 

“Why don’t we run a test too?” She had a slight frown on her face which made Hanbin chuckle. “That way we can find errors and try to fix them and we’ll see how it’ll work.” He continued explaining to the confused Hayi.

 

“And if we can fix the errors, we might have a chance with each other.” She completed Hanbin’s idea. “So, what do you think?” Hanbin smiled while still holding her hands, keeping them warm.

 

Hayi thought about it for quite a moment. Hanbin’s gentle smile never faded while neither of them looked away from each other. “Alright, I guess we can give it a try.” She finally said, with a little smile.

 

“Great.” He sounded the happiest that night.

 

--

 

“It’s already late, are you still going back to the main building?” He asked the small girl beside him as they stepped out of the cafe. She nodded as she rubbed her hands together; it was unbelievably cold that night.

 

“I left my shoes there so I’m heading there to get it. Let’s just walk there together, hm?” He suggested as he offered her his hand because he could see that she was freezing.

 

She gladly took it and he gave her hand a light squeeze before stuffing their hands into his pocket. They walked in silence while the both of them glancing at each other occasionally.

 

“So, I guess I’ll be heading back to the dorm now.” Hanbin flashed a slight grin. “Yeah, you should. It’s already 11, you’re going to the airport tomorrow morning, right?” Hayi asked, knowing how cranky Hanbin would be if his beauty sleep gets disturbed.

 

He nodded and they talked for a while before Hanbin decided to get going. The members were probably searching for him, he thought.

 

“What about a goodnight kiss for your test run boyfriend?” He pointed at his cheek while he grinned, showing his dimple.

 

She cracked a grin as she knew Hanbin well. She tiptoed and kissed his cheek briefly before he finally left with a wide, toothy grin on his face.

 

Kim Hanbin couldn’t be any happier that very day.

 

--

 

Chanwoo tilted his head as he saw what he supposed he shouldn’t. “Oh. That escalated quickly.” He said as he silently stood by himself, witnessing Hanbin walking on the other side of the street. With Hayi. Hand in hand.

 

Being the kind kid he always was, he decided to keep what he saw to himself.

 

--

+ i'm really sorry- this chapter is terrible. ;;; i was really busy and i rushed writing this. forgive me! i still hope you enjoy reading, comments and feedbacks are very very very appreciated!