The Secret

KING'S CONSORT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minister Park had decided to meet up with Minister Jung privately so they could talk about his worries surrounding the crown princess selection and the dowager. He suspected the dowager had some devious plans, plans that the late Kyona had warned them of. But what worried him even more was the fact that Minister Kim had abstained from the crown princess selection process. Everyone knows how he covets power so why not put his daughter as the master of the queen’s quarters. Just what were they planning?

“She hasn’t said anything about him. Do you think she will use her power to bring him back?”

“She will,” Minister Park confirmed their worry. “Of that I am certain but I will not let her have her way. He has absolutely no right to take that position. He is lucky he was exiled and not killed then by the late King.”

“Do you think Minister Kim didn’t allow his daughter to participate because of it?”

“Maybe, but Minister Kim is a clever man I don’t think he would take such a risky thing. We need to be careful Minister Jung, something doesn’t smell good. If what we think is true then they will be very vicious and careful, they will not let anyone get in their way.”

“And your daughter, are you still letting her participate?”

“Yes. I already told the dowager she would take part this morning I can’t change my mind now. Let’s just observe for now and see what happens” Minister Park was worried about sending his daughter to the palace with everything that was happening however he had promised the late king. He only prayed this wouldn’t in anyway harm his her.

…………………………………

“Have you seen Siyeon lately?” Chaewon asked Somin. Siyeon hadn’t visited the palace for days and the princess was worried for her friend.

“No. I went over but was denied audience. When I asked one of the servants what the matter was, she told me she was sick”

“I had her family didn’t present her name for the crown princess selection. Do you think that maybe why she might not be feeling well?” Chaewon knew Siyeon liked her brother and expected her name to be presented for the crown princess selection.

“I heard that too and I don’t understand why they did that.”

“I know right?”

“I feel sorry for her, if my Hyunjoong oppa got married I don’t know what I would do” Somin said and the princess just looked at her friend. Chaewon hadn’t met this Hyunjoong Somin talked about but it was obvious Somin like him very much.

Somin always talked about her moments with him and the last one she shared was of them watching some per pet show in the market. The way Somin talked about her dates made Chaewon a little bit envious of her friend because those were things she wasn’t even allowed to dream. However Chaewon did dream of finding someone who could take her to watch per pet shows but it was only a dream. Like her brother they would one day find a suitable man to marry her someday and she would have no choice but to agree. That was her fate. But when Somin talked about her boyfriend, Chaewon wished she was just a normal person like her friends who had a choice.

…………………………………………

After the King’s death the Dowager queen had taken on the duties as regent for the crown prince was only but a child. She was the eldest person for the royal family so she had taken on the duties however she didn’t really plan to occupy that place for too long. There was someone else better suited for that seat and finally the opportunity had presented itself. It was time to bring him back

She would bring out her decision in the next court meeting, there she would use her temporary powers and fulfill her lifelong dream. All those years she had suffered now it was their time and there wasn’t anything anyone could do to stop her. With the previous King dead, the way was now open.

……………………………………..

Like Minister Park had suspected, dowager queen finally stated her mind. She intended to bring back the exiled prince to the palace and what’s even worse was that she had everyone else on board.

“I can’t be head of the inner court and also this office so I feel someone else should occupy this seat. He is of royal blood too so I see no problem with him succeeding the throne. I know there is the crown prince but we all agree he is too young to carry this seat. Prince Hwan can leader and incase of his demise the crown prince will be the next King.” She shamelessly suggested but Minister Park was not falling for it. Once the exiled prince took the seat then the crown prince’s life wouldn’t be safe anymore.

He had to stop this from happening at any cost. He decided to visit the dowager’s quarters and beg her not to go through with her devious plan, the crown prince was her grandson, she at least cared for his life he hoped.

“Your Highness”

“Yes, what’s the problem, you can tell me”

“About bringing back the exiled prince,” he posed and observed the older woman before him. “I don’t think he should take that seat your highness” he waited to hear what she had to say but she said nothing so he decided to explain his reasons. “Bringing him back would only cause havoc in the palace your highness.”

“And why do you say that Minister Park?”

“Well I know this will endanger the crown prince’s life your highness. It will only confuse the people and then cause even more division in parliament, please think about your decision your highness, I beg of you please. Only you can protect the prince.”

“But the prince can’t take that role yet and it is only a matter of time before the scholars start complaining about a woman sitting on the throne.”

“But it would only be for a few years your highness and in that time the prince can be in court with you so he learns how to rule. He had started attending before the late kind died.”

“I don’t know Minister Park”

“The crown prince is a bright and wise child, with your guidance he will be ready soon” he tried to reason with the dowager and watched as she thought about god knows what and then, “Okay, I will consider what you said, you may go now Minister Park” she said and dismissed him.

Minister Park didn’t feel confident after leaving the dowager’s quarters any more than he did before going in. The exiled prince showing up now was disastrous and he promised the late king he would protect the crown prince. If only the late King had held on a little longer just a little more but such thoughts were useless now. The king was gone and the crown prince needed his protection.

He met up with Minister Jung and his assistant to come up with measures in case the dowager pushed with bringing the exiled prince. They had to be discrete for such a discussion could prove dangerous. They planned to meet at a giseang house.

“So what happened, did you change her mind?” Minister Jung asked as soon as they were left alone.

“I don’t think she will change her mind. She said she would consider my suggestion but I doubt it”

“So what happens now? We can’t just watch and let this abomination to happen” Minister Jung’s assistant said feeling agitated

“Of course we won’t let it happen, right Minister Park?” Minister Jung asked hoping the minister had a plan for them.

“Then what can we do to stop it from happening? We can’t do anything against the dowager. That would be treason.”

“There is something we can do but I had hoped we didn’t have to use it. Fortunately th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter