First Meeting

KING'S CONSORT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been two weeks since the King’s death. The prince and princess were devastated. Princess Chaewon had cried for days refusing to eat until her body gave up and she got sick and bed ridden. This had forced the prince to man up even though he also wasn’t any better. The thought of losing his only sister was the push he needed to get up and help her deal with their father’s death.

It was only the prince who could convince the princess not to give up and fight. At her bed he would talk to her and she would listen because Minho to her was the only other person that understood what she felt. He had accused her of being selfish and wanting to leave him behind.

“You can’t do this noona,” Minho had said. “If you also go then who will I remain with? How will I survive without you too? You have to get up noona and help me like you promised father.” Their father had talked to both of them a few days before his death and he had asked the two siblings to watch out for each other, and he asked them to protect Minister Park because he knew the minister would be in danger when he wasn’t there to protect him. “Protect him so he can be able to guide you, arraso?” he had said.

And with those words noona had realized what her little brother was going through. Their father had died and now Minho had to rule in his stead. “He must feel burdened” she thought and from then she vowed to stay strong for him. They were just the two of them now and until he was strong enough she would protect him.

As if things were not difficult as is already now there was the issue of his marriage. According to Dowager he was to get married as soon as the selection process ended. He had pleaded saying it was too soon since the father’s death but Dowager was not having any of it. “You have to grow up now crown prince, you are the next King and a king needs a queen.” She had said.

He had run to his sister hoping she could persuade their grandmother but even that didn’t work. Now he had made peace with it. He would get married since this was his duty.

……………………………

The posters were placed all over the town canceling all marriages. The nobles who wanted to be part of the royal family prepared their children for the selection. At the Park’s residence, Minister Park was having a discussion with his wife. Minister Park wanted Shinhye to take Part in the bride selection ceremony. More than that the King had mentioned he would like it if his daughter married the prince. As a loyal servant to the dead King he wanted to fulfill that wish. Also he knew that the opposition side would want to take that place. The young prince needed people who would guide him attain his goals but the opposition had other reasons. They had wanted that place way before the previous queen died and he knew they wouldn’t miss this chance.

“You have to prepare her wife. Shinhye will be one of the girls to participate” he instructed

The next day she called Shinhye and explained to her about entering the palace.

‘If I get married will I have to leave home?” Shinhye asked

“Yes my child, you will have to go and leave in your husband’s house”

“But I don’t want to leave you and aboeji” she whined

Mrs. Park also didn’t feel confident sending her child there but she had to do it. Like her husband had said, they needed to prevent opposition from taking the Queen’s place. Shinhye was a pure girl with pure ambitions, she would benefit the prince.

“You will get to leave in the palace” she tried to bribe. “Don’t you want to be a princess? You will get pretty clothes and shoes”

“Chincha?” now she was getting intrigued with the glamorous things her mother was saying.

“Hmm” her mother said strongly nodding her head. “And your father will be they everyday”

“And Eomma, will you come and visit me in the palace?” she asked

“Hmm, Eomma will visit you, so what do you say? You want to go?” she asked

“Yes!” she said

Later that day she went to physician Kim’s place. She wanted to tell him she was going to the palace.

“Hyunjoong oppa” she excitedly called physician Kim’s son

“What is it Shinhye, you seem happy, did you finally discover something out of this world again?” he teased.

“No, but I have good news to tell ahjushi” she said

“And what would that news be?” asked a distant voice from behind and the two turned around to face the owner of this voice.

“Ilwoo Oppa” Shinhye called out

“Yes little girl, so what is this good news you want to give ahjushi?” he asked as he got down to level with her

“I am going to the palace! Eomma said I will become a princess and wear beautiful clothes and shoes. I will have my own prince charming” she went on about all the nice things she would do in the palace and it was clear she was excited.

“Won’t you miss your family?” Ilwoo asked and Shinhye quickly shook her head. “Eomma said she will visit often and appa is always at the palace.”

“And me, won’t you miss your oppa?” Ilwoo asked.

“You can come and visit, Hyunjoong oppa too.” She saw Kim physician walking out this drug shop and called out to him. “Physician Kim”

“There my child slow down you might hurt yourself.” He said as Shinhye ran to his side. “Now what is it that has got you excited?” he asked and Shinhye tried to catch her breath. “Eomma says I am going to the palace”

“You like it that much?”

“Ne!” she said.

“Won’t you miss me?”

“I will come visit you when I visit Eomma. You can also come visit me in the palace, right?”

It was clear Shinhye didn’t fully understand what palace life entailed and so he obliged. “I will visit. You are my best student so of course I will visit you?”

The little girl threw herself in his arms. “I was worried you might not want to visit, if you won’t come then I will not go.” She said still wrapping her hands around his neck.” The physician felt bad for lying to the child but he could not bring himself to break her little heart. He only hoped she would fit into palace life.

“I always knew Shinhye would end up in the palace I just didn’t think it would be this soon” Hyunjoong said as they watched the little girl chat with the physician.

“I feel sorry for her, I worry the palace will swallow her and the girl we see right now will disappear” Ilwoo said with a heavy heart. “I wish she didn’t make it but given she is the State Minister’s daughter she stands as the front runner.

“We might be looking at the future Queen right now.” Hyunjoong mused it the now not so queenly child before him. “Is your sister also participating?” Hyunjoong asked his friend.

“No” He said and Ilwoo could see the relief on his friend’s face. “Your wife is still available” he teased and all Hyunjoong could do was smile shyly. He had liked Somin the first time he saw her. Seeing she blossomed into this beautiful girl he had worries him tremendously and her becoming the princess’ playmate didn’t help much. He was worried the prince might get interest in the beaut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter