His Birth

KING'S CONSORT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~*~

 

The news of the Queen’s pregnancy quickly spread with in the nation and the people were so happy and excited about this wonderful news. The king threw a party for the queen to celebrate this great news. There were dancers and they played beautiful songs all praising the queen for fulfilling the wishes of the people. All the important dignitaries were invited. They each congratulated the queen for her service to the nation as she would be strengthening the King’s reign.

I was glad was a pillar to the king. They were no longer pushing him to take on another concubine and the people were hopeful I would give them a prince. Even though the King was still worried with the consequences that might arise from my decision to conceive I could sense that he was truly happy that I was pregnant and more than anything I was glad he didn’t have to get another concubine.

“Is it to your liking Junju?”

“Yes Kyona but you didn’t have to, this is too much”

“I wanted to throw this party because I wanted to share our happiness with my people. The news of the queen’s pregnancy should be celebrated as such”

* * * *

Like the Doctor had predicted I had a really difficult pregnancy. On more than one occasion the King wanted they remove the baby since it was draining all my strength but I was not having any of it. I was determined to deliver my baby even if my life was at risk. By the third month I had lost too much weight that the royal doctors were worried I wouldn’t live long enough to deliver the baby. I was also worried because I tried to follow all instructions from the doctor but still my stomach was not holding all the food I took in and the little that stayed in was utilized by the baby growing in my womb.

The king was beside himself with worry, he felt so helpless because there was nothing he could do to help ease the pain. In some ways feared he was starting to dislike the child and saw it as some evil being that was the life out of her. On such occasions he would always discuss the option to abort the child but he knew I would never agree and even if he could do it without my knowledge, he knew she would never forgive him. But in truth I would forgive him because sometimes the pain would be excruciating that I almost agreed with him about the abortion. Only those beautiful moments when the baby moved and I saw that beautiful smile on his face gave my all the strength needed to hold on. if I was going to leave then I wanted to leave him with a beautiful gift.

The doctors tried everything even invited credible doctors throughout the nation to try and improve my health but nothing seemed to be working, I wasn’t getting better. It was clear the only thing keeping me alive was only my will and determination to deliver the child. I took whatever the doctors through at me without any complaints.

Towards the 5th month I decided to talk to the doctor and access my true condition. I wanted to know if there was hope for me and the baby surviving. As the days came closer I was starting to loss my will to fight. I felt drained. So I called the doctor and asked for his honest reply.

“I want to know what my chances are. Tell me without living anything out. What exactly is the problem, why won’t my condition improve, explain it to me.”

 “Yes Junju mama, we have been working hard to identify why nothing seems to work and we discovered it has to do with the liver. Your liver has developed wounds and I am afraid they have spread. I was about to report this to the King before you requested for me Your Majesty.

“Can it be treated?” she asked. I had heard about this disease and I knew it very serious.

“We can prescribe some medication but….

“But what? She asked

“The medication has a side effect Your Majesty, you will….”

“I will what, tell me now I want to know”

“You will lose the baby your Majesty. The drugs will cure you but the baby will be lost.

“What!!! No that can’t happen I won’t abort my baby, there has to be another way, find another medicine that will not harm him”

“I am sorry Your Majesty, it is they only way to cure you. Other medicines will only relieve the pain but they won’t cure you and we still can’t determine how fast the disease is spreading your Majesty. We need to start treatment fast if we are to save your life Your Majesty.”

I can’t abort my baby, I will not do it, and he has to be born. There has to be another way. The king needs a successor and I will do that for him. I am already at five months now, only 4 more months and he is born, I have to hold on until then.

“I will not get the treatment we can start treatment after I give birth”

“But Your Majesty, I don’t think we have time before it is too late, I fear your life will be lost. My duty is to protect the lives of the royal family. I have to treat you your Majesty, that’s my duty.” Insisted the royal doctor but I wasn’t having it.

“Like you said, you protect the royal family and this child I am carrying is also a royal. You will do anything to protect this child, do you understand?” I asked in my all authoritative tone

“Yes your Majesty” answered the royal doctor.

“Also do not tell the King or any other person about my condition, not a word

“But……

“That wasn’t a request, you are not to say anything to his majesty do you understand?

“Yes Your Majesty” he humbly replied.

I knew I was burdening him with this secret but I was determined to keep my baby. I didn’t know how Kyona would react and quite frankly I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t give into his request because I am sure he will ask me to abort the baby.

“Inform those that already know about this to do the same, not a word. You may take your leave” I firmly added.

“Yes your Majesty.” He quickly left the queen’s chambers confused by the queen’s instructions.

Why is she risking her life like it didn’t matter? Chances are she might not even live to deliver the baby. What if Kyona finds out from the others, what do I do? On the other hand the queen seems to have made up her mind.

I was left in thoughts. I was risking everything for this baby. I remembered what a the Sharman once told her

“You will be the mother to the great ruler of this great nation. He will be a King that lives to serve his people. That is your destiny.” She had concluded.

It seemed funny when I first heard it because by then I wasn’t even a Queen. And when I struggled with conceiving, I once again doubted her words. However I want to believe her predictions now more than ever, she was certain I would be queen, I have to believe in that destiny she predicted. I had to because I was now risking my life for my unborn child.

* * * * * * *

The months that followed where so hard, the pain was so excruciating that at time I just wanted to give up and get treated. During those times the King felt useless for he felt powerless. It broke my heart as I watched him look for solutions because I knew it was too late now. The doctor kept my condition from him but watching him search above and beyond left me feeling guilty for the pain and disappointment he went through each time he failed. “Just what was I doing to him, was it really worth it?”

* * * *

“Everything isn’t working she just keeps getting weaker every day, I feel every day she lives through is a miracle. I don’t want lose her chief eunuch. Seeing her in pain every time is torture. And she is so brave, she never complains even when she is in intense pain she always tries

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter