Park Shinhye

KING'S CONSORT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been three years now since the queen’s death. To many life has moved on but the King still remembered it like it had just happened. He was true to his promise and showered his children with all the love in his heart. Every time he felt like giving up on this life, he looked at them and held on. They were too little.

Chaewon was looking more like her mother every passing day and Minho was just beautiful. He spoilt them a lot especially Minho and everyone knew he dotted on him. He just wanted him to grow into the leader his mother believed he would be. ‘A King that reigns for his people.’ He would teach him everything in preparation for the duties that lay ahead.

* * * * * * * *

“We have to send someone to Qing for the recognition of the crown prince.” Dowager queen said to Mr. King.

“Yes, your highness. The crown prince should get recognition and secure his position”

“You know that the King’s health is unstable ever since that incident with the queen’s death. We have to be prepared.” She urged on.

“Yes your highness.”

* * * * * *

How is your wife?

Minister was humbled that Kyona always cared for his wellbeing and that of his family. “She is fine, the physician said it won’t be long now.

“I see.” Was all Kyona said. He knew that minister Park had waited so long for a child. He hadn’t been able to father a child with his first wife and later on she had passed on. Because of his love for her and respect for her memory, he had taken a while without remarrying. He has aged a lot and given up on children until his second wife of five years finally conceived. He may not say it but Kyona knew that his friend was filled with joy when he finally got this news.

He was reading the petitions and most of them were discouraging. Always the nobles were mistreating the commoners. It was times like this that he wish he had more power. All the power was with the Dowager queen and she was for the nobles. In her mind, she only saw nobles and the commoners didn’t matter.

He knew that she controlled everything that happened. It saddened him to accept this but he had turned into a ceremonial King. After the queen’s death he neglected his duties and the Dowager queen used it to her advantage. He knew the ministers report to her first before him and they pushed for what she agreed to.

It is because of this that he is determined to surround the prince with good people next to him. Although he had minimal power, he was working closely with Minister Park to identify those that were still loyal to the throne. So far they had some people from the six ministries although they were not in control but they would act us their eyes and ears. Like now, they got information that the dowager queen was pushing for the crown prince’s recognition. Why she was pushing wasn’t known yet but for the first time her and the King agreed because he also wanted the prince to be recognized by Qing.

* * * * * * *

After a long day’s reviewing the petitions the King finally was able to go to his children. They were playing in the garden.

“Noona don’t” shout the little prince

“It’s coming for you Minho, run faster or it’s going to eat you, run” shouted princess Chaewon.

Chaewon was holding an earthworm with a stick and she was chasing after the little prince and he with his short legs ran for dear life. The servants ran after the children until they noticed the King’s arrival and tried to stop the children but he stopped them. “Leave Them” he said

Aba mama” both children shouted as they ran straight at him and he got down and carried them both.  He carried Chaewon in his right hand since she was heavier and Minho in his left hand. “My angels are getting big, am afraid I won’t be able to carry you both soon.” Kyona said and the two children just giggled at his funny expression.

So what were my children doing? He asked as he put them down

“Aba mama, noona bad, noona chase Minho with earth worm. Noona wants earthworm eats Minho” Minho reported his sister who quickly came up to defend herself

“That’s not so aba mama—

“It isn’t?” Kyona asked.

“Hmm, I only wanted to scare him a little. Minho pabo, earthworms don’t eat people. Isn’t it so aba mama?” she asked their father

Both children were now staring at their father waiting for his reply

“Chaewon is right, earthworms don’t eat people---

“See, I was right, Minho is such a baby” she said and Minho just pouts his lips.

“But Chaewon is wrong to scare her little brother like that.” Kyona said and Minho mischievously showed his tongue to Chaewon who was being reprimanded at the moment.”

“Chaewon, you are Minho’s noona, you should only love and protect him now that he is little, that’s is what big sisters do, okay?” Kyona asked

“Chaewon loves Minho and aba mama very much. Chaewon will protect Minho.” She said

“Minho love aba mama and noona very much” added the little prince. “When Minho grows he can also protect noona.”

The servants watched their King as he played and talked to his children. In that moment he was only a father enjoying his time with his children

……………………………..

 

Minister Park was outside waiting as the midwife and servants assisted his wife who was in labor. She had been pushing for a while now and still the baby wasn’t delivered yet. He was worried there were complications until he had a lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter